Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The universe in the game is under no obligation to resemble ours, on either point.

Serious post is serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Serious post is serious.

My mistake: ;):p:):rolleyes::o:mad::(:eek::cool::P:confused::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Is there even a remote chance of bumping into Matt Damon??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

A centre of a galaxy is the super massive black hole at the centre of it. Not sure why the aim of the game is to get right next to it.:eek:

Congratulations: you have reached the centre of the galaxy and have finished No Man's Sky! You have been crushed into infinite density and experienced total oblivion, as all things must. Would you like to play again?

You have selected no.

Is there even a remote chance of bumping into Matt Damon??

If movies in space over the last couple of years have taught me anything, it's that once you leave Earth orbit you're guaranteed to bump into Matt Damon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Clearly they went out of the way to rule out that possibility by calling the game No (Dr) Mann's Sky?

Clearly they went out of the way to rule out that possibility by calling the game No (Dr) Mann's Sky?

Pff, whatever, I'm sure I'll be able to meet up with him no matter what you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

If movies in space over the last couple of years have taught me anything, it's that once you leave Earth orbit you're guaranteed to bump into Matt Damon.

MATT DAMON

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Think I'll be holding off on this till it drops in price.

Got a feeling, this could disappoint.

No VR support on launch, which is disappointing but no surprise I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I don't know why anyone's surprised at the price.

I'm not really feeling this anymore, was swept up in the "oooh pretty!" but the snorefest that is Elite Dangerous has completely put me off this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Zillah wrote: »
    No VR support on launch, which is disappointing but no surprise I suppose.

Where was that confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tok9 wrote: »

Never confirmed just rumours much like the rumours or the grand ideas that this wouldn't be a - sigh - full priced game.

Reviewers have already mentioned that the pre released builds are causing motion sickness (hopefully that'll be sorted for release), hate to think what VR would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Shiminay wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone's surprised at the price.

I'm not really feeling this anymore, was swept up in the "oooh pretty!" but the snorefest that is Elite Dangerous has completely put me off this sort of thing.
    I keep thinking something is wrong with me.

Bought Elite in beta (?) for €40 and just can't get into it. Too many controls and the visuals look horrendous on my 390.

Everyone praises it to the moon and back.

Never confirmed just rumours much like the rumours or the grand ideas that this wouldn't be a - sigh - full priced game..

Actually the rumours were that this game would be a full priced release.

tok9 wrote: »

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/71458/20160305/no-mans-sky-sean-murray-vr-support-rumors-release-date-reveal-event-watch.htm

They'll do it eventually but not on launch.

Regarding Elite Dangerous: I don't think it's a fair comparison. It's like comparing Half Life and Modern Warfare because they're both first person shooters.

Every single video I've looked up of Elite Dangerous gameplay shows people slowly floating around trying to supercruise to their destination. Even their upcoming expansion seems to be a tech demo for planets rather than having actual gameplay.

I don't know if No Man's Sky is going to be brilliant fun or not, but I don't thinks it's reasonable to say that ED is boring therefore this other, very different space game will also be boring.
    Taylor365 wrote: »
    Everyone praises it to the moon and back.

Do they? Everyone on this forum seems to think it's a really shallow, dull game that didn't deliver on the fun the trailers suggested.

While you might be correct that article doesn't confirm that at all. It just takes quotes out of context.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

How did anyone expect this game to be below average retail?

The argument that its less guys making it so it deserves less is just so arrogant. What they've pulled off is amazing (well; if it works as advertised). It's what you get out of it at the end of the day, not how many made it. Nothing about this game seems indie in any way whatsoever.

The Witness, though, I would argue was too expensive. 25 euro at most there. There's not a whole lot to it. There's a pretty island sure, nice 3D model there, and puzzles that are pretty lazy IMO, they're just flat, like puzzles on paper, they don't involve the environment that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Wright wrote: »
    ...puzzles that are pretty lazy IMO, they're just flat, like puzzles on paper, they don't involve the environment that much.

Not the thread for it but you should keep playing if that is what you believe - it sounds like you did not get very far at all.

• Advertisement

Wright wrote: »
    The argument that its less guys making it so it deserves less is just so arrogant.

I don't see how it is arrogant. Part of the justification for high prices - for any good - is how expensive they were to make. The reason I think a AAA game charging $60 isn't too bad is because of how much they had to spend making it. Like a Hollywood movie scale budget, with literally hundreds of people employed.

If you've got a four-man team working on a game and you charge $60, it's not because you need to recoup that big of an investment, it's because you've seen a chance in the market and you're going for the jugular. Which is how capitalism works: you don't get to tell someone how much to charge for their product, they just pick their price and the market tells them if it's willing to pay for it. Which is all fine until you remember that sociopaths use the same logic when engaging in, say, war profiteering with scarce supplies (or that douchecanoe recently increasing the price on a particular medicine 5000%).

There is a difference between saying "The market wants what I have so I'm going to charge the highest price I can possibly squeeze out of people" and saying "My product cost a huge amount to create so a high price is warranted to allow me to recoup what I've invested."

Both are allowed, but don't expect people to sing your praises when you're choosing the barefaced price-gouger option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I don't see how it is arrogant. Part of the justification for high prices - for any good - is how expensive they were to make.

I'm not sure I can agree with your initial premise. If anything, game budgets are indeed getting more expensive to make but the price of games has been falling steadily for decades now.

It isn't really up for debate that costs need to be recouped, and therefore high costs justify high prices.

It's not the only rationale for high prices, of course. There are items - diamonds, for example - that cost a fortune for no reason other than market demand (which was itself stoked by devious marketing). I don't approve of spending a lot of money on tiny lumps of carbon, either.

I will buy No Man's Sky, but I can see why people are a little surprised by having to pay $60 for a game that probably cost a tenth as much to make as other games that charge $60.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't see how it is arrogant. Part of the justification for high prices - for any good - is how expensive they were to make. The reason I think a AAA game charging $60 isn't too bad is because of how much they had to spend making it. Like a Hollywood movie scale budget, with literally hundreds of people employed.

By the same token, niche games often release at AAA or near AAA prices for perfectly understandable reasons. Disgaea 5 cost a fraction of it what it cost to make GTAV, but obviously they'll only ever enjoy a fraction of the sales too. In that case, I don't think a substantial price decrease will make a significant difference given the inherently enthusiast market they're aiming for - hence a full-priced release is their safest bet for some sort of return. I'm not saying No Man's Sky fits into that category given it's unusually high profile for an independent game, but certainly as you say budget is only part of the justification for high prices.

As for Hollywood, the ticket prices when it comes to blockbusters or independent / world films are usually uniform, despite the fact the former could easily have a budget 100+ times larger than the latter (well, beyond Odeon's bizarre blockbuster surcharge). Again, the sheer scale of the viewership usually takes care of the bigger budgets compared to the fare that plays for arthouse audiences.

Anyway, I've said before I think the way the gaming community fret over price is something I for one would like to see less emphasis on, given that 'value' is a subjective proposition in the first place, and developers can and should be free to charge what they feel is appropriate once it doesn't go into 'ripping the piss' territory (which I don't think average retail price is, especially for a game of No Man's Sky's scale and ambition). This time next year, after some inevitably deep discounts, it won't really matter whether the game launched at €60 or €30 - the game itself will be what we're talking about, unless it happens to be a steaming s**t sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/04/11/no-mans-sky-21-minutes-of-new-gameplay-ign-first

New video here. Shows off some unseen features I think.

Could a mod embed the vid. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/04/11/no-mans-sky-21-minutes-of-new-gameplay-ign-first

New video here. Shows off some unseen features I think.

Could a mod embed the vid. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Its a shame players wont come across other players or the planets they discovered.

I think they've gone too big with that concept.

The more I see of it, the more super boring it looks. :(

The more I see of it, the more super boring it looks. :(

Are you kidding? I'm super excited.

I remember flying around in Space Engine, really excited to pick random stars out of the sky and see what planets they have, and to watch each one be generated out of nothing. I enjoyed doing that for hours, with nothing to do other than fly around and look at terrain.

I got the same feeling when they were on the galactic map just there. This lets you do the same except there are also things to shoot and steal and trade, and mine, and research and upgrade. That last video more than anything has convinced me that there is lots to do. I'm still not 100% convinced it won't become samey after a while, but I am feeling much more confident. I feel it's the kind of game I might dip into for an hour or two for a very long time.

It won't have characters and storyline, but it's going to be unique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

In related news 65daysofstatic have announced release date for the album "No Man’s Sky: Music for an Infinite Universe", 17 June on Laced Records.

Looking forward to the game but as long as I get new 65dos out of it I don't care ;)

Advertisement