Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Definite day one for me, its coming out the day after my birthday...

I think Multiplayer will become more visible as you get to the middle of the universe, pretty sure he did say you may come across another player - but very slim chances....

I've been looking forward to it since the 30sec clip highlight at E3 that was intermixed with other games...

This ideally is the kind of Game I would like to try VR with... (if they make a VR version)

I really hope it isn't a big let down.... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Adamantium wrote: »
    You know as a kid, that dream game that you always wished would be made, where you can everywhere, do anything, go into orbit, de-orbit.

I've always dreamed of playing a game where you could walk around new worlds, get on a ship and simply leave the planet, fly through space and visit another planet.

CHRIST IT'S HERE!
    Ah man, you missed out! Atari ST ftw.....
    Wiki wrote:
    Mercenary II is the second game in the series. It was released on the Atari ST and Amiga platforms in 1990. Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum versions were originally in development but eventually cancelled as a consequence of the declining 8-bit market. Unlike Mercenary, Damocles represented the game environment using filled polygon graphics, allowing a both more realistic and colourful world.

Once again, the player is stranded on a planet, Eris, with an inoperable spacecraft. Unlike the first game, however, the scope of Damocles is considerably widened, offering the player an entire solar system to explore (the Gamma System; the player's original destination before the Interlude on Targ). There is also a race-against-time element to the game as a comet, the eponymous Damocles (a reference the Sword of Damocles), is hurtling towards Eris. The player is encouraged to both escape Eris and find a means to prevent Damocles from destroying the planet, if possible without destroying the comet. Although an obvious, but destructive, solution exists, Damocles has no fewer than five distinct solutions.

A notable feature of Damocles is its inclusion of relatively detailed celestial mechanics into the game physics. While the game also features less standard physics (e.g. teleportation), it includes a detailed representation of the Gamma System and even includes a simplified form of special relativity. To cross the solar system in reasonable (to the player) time, time dilation occurs. However, given that the player has only a few hours to save Eris, extended periods at near-light speed are unwise. One of the game's many solutions even involves manipulating various planetary bodies in order to make use of the changes in gravitational pulls to divert the Damocles comet. From an aesthetic point of view, the inclusion of celestial physics allows the player to experience attractively-rendered sunrises and sunsets while on planet surfaces as well as various satellite occultations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I hope Gamestop gets that limited edition in. I want.

Please dont go to GameStop. You'll be charged over the odds, but we all know that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Please dont go to GameStop. You'll be charged over the odds, but we all know that anyway.

I went into GameStop yesterday to trade in an old game I had Elder Scrolls.............. of course the credit on the game didn't amount to jack **** but the guy behind the counter asked me if I would like to pre-order Uncharted 4 instead.

I told him I already had it ordered elsewhere (Simply Games) 25 quid cheaper. He shook his head at me and let out this huff :eek: as if to expect I should be obliged to be buying it retail even when the new releases in Gamestop are always nearly extortion.

I went into GameStop yesterday to trade in an old game I had Elder Scrolls.............. of course the credit on the game didn't amount to jack **** but the guy behind the counter asked me if I would like to pre-order Uncharted 4 instead.

I told him I already had it ordered elsewhere (Simply Games) 25 quid cheaper. He shook his head at me and let out this huff :eek: as if to expect I should be obliged to be buying it retail even when the new releases in Gamestop are always nearly extortion.

They are unreal. no Man's Sky is on pre order for 75 quid :eek::eek:. I'll get it in Argos for for 10 quid cheaper before I use mammy's staff discount. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

My local gamestop has good staff that never give me hassle and are usually friendly. So I'd rather go there then give money to Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I would actually feel worse giving the parasites in Simply Games money.

My local gamestop has good staff that never give me hassle and are usually friendly. So I'd rather go there then give money to Game.

I'm sure the majority of people who work for Gamestop are fine, decent people. It's the company's pricing strategy which is wroong and should never be entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm sure the majority of people who work for Gamestop are fine, decent people. It's the company's pricing strategy which is wroong and should never be entertained.

It's not just that it's the upselling that staff are forced to do too like pushing disc protection and pre-orders as "the game may run out".

The whole business model is bad unless you are buying hardware brand new from them. They can be cheaper than Amazon and faster free delivery. Software wise, steer clear.

It's not just that it's the upselling that staff are forced to do too like pushing disc protection and pre-orders as "the game may run out".

The whole business model is bad unless you are buying hardware brand new from them. They can be cheaper than Amazon and faster free delivery. Software wise, steer clear.

I wouldn't even buy hardware off them. Across the board they are a minimum €5 more expensive than anywhere else, even non game dedicated stores.

Anyway, as is usual, Gamestop discussion has derailed the theme of yet another thread.

Was looking at that IGN First 20minute gameplay, and the sheer scale of the universe is just unreal. Will be a day1 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Fieldog wrote: »
    I think Multiplayer will become more visible as you get to the middle of the universe, pretty sure he did say you may come across another player - but very slim chances....

I'm pretty sure Sean said before that stuff like damage to the world environment won't be propagated between players, so chances are the game is only nominally multiplayer. You won't be flying around with each other. Here is my previous post on it: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98948598#post98948598

You chances of finding other named planets and animals should increase towards the middle though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, we'll see plenty of Planet CocknBalls and animals called DickButt once we get closed to the center :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Yea, think I got the impression that I wasn't the only one to place my pre-order elsewhere so that's why he got slightly disgruntled. Not so much with me but knowing that their pricing is putting them at a loss all round, the company that is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Let's keep the Gamestop talk for another thread, and get back to No Mans Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

But sure every game these days has resource collection and crafting; every space sim has space combat; repetitive quests to gain reputation with factions are everywhere, etc. The USP of this game is exploring the procedurally generated universe, which just isn't enough for me because...

I definitely 100% understand this and strongly suspect that ultimately this is how the majority of people will feel. This is as far from a mass-market mainstream games as I've ever seen. It's a space simulator and space is very big and there ain't much there.

It's a day one for me (in effect, I'm on holidays day one but I'll get it asap). Maybe I'll hate it but I respect and admire the developers for what they're trying to achieve here. Who didn't grow up imagining a game like this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I definitely 100% understand this and strongly suspect that ultimately this is how the majority of people will feel. This is as far from a mass-market mainstream games as I've ever seen. It's a space simulator and space is very big and there ain't much there.

It's a day one for me (in effect, I'm on holidays day one but I'll get it asap). Maybe I'll hate it but I respect and admire the developers for what they're trying to achieve here. Who didn't grow up imagining a game like this?

Watching the videos I think people are expecting something like Elite Dangerous but I think No Mans Sky is far more accessible, certainly the flight model is simpler and there doesn't appear to be any focus on trading and picking up missions in the way that ED does, plus NMS has a lot of it's action planetside while ED, with it's Horizons expansion, treats that feature as a way to grab more resources.
    I have ED on the Xbox One and it's fantastic but very much a sim, while NMS seems more arcadey to play and a lot more like Colony Wars or one of the other classic arcade space titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Kotaku are reporting that this is being delayed, possibly to July or August. :(

They can take as long as they need to get this right, they have Sony's backing with the PS4 version anyway and they were having frame rate issues on PS4 not too long ago. At this stage a few months more is not too bad.

Too many games are released broken these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Well that's gone and ruined my Thursday morning if true. But I agree with Cap above.
    Too many games get released half complete or into the dreaded early access. I'd rather a working product on release.
    That said.. it's the only game I'm looking forward to at the moment. I'd really love said product to be finished and released on time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Can't hide the fact that I'm disappointed that the game is delayed but I'd be a lot more annoyed if they released a broken game and added a 5GB patch at launch.

I've waited long enough, I guess I can wait a little longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I don't have any problem with it being delayed for quality purposes of course, but its still incredible disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Too many good games coming out in June, so the delay does not bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Grand.

I'll stick it on my ''buy when under €30 list'' so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

After a short delay, No Man’s Sky will launch in North America on August 9, in Europe August 10, and in the UK August 12.

After a short delay, No Man’s Sky will launch in North America on August 9, in Europe August 10, and in the UK August 12.

Probably patching in Neo mode for the game.:pac:

I look forward to probing Your Mum, which undoubtedly will be a name given to something at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

I look forward to probing Your Mum, which undoubtedly will be a name given to something at some point.

It's a certainty I'd say, but will names have to be unique? If so, getting the chance to probe Your Mum will be mathematically improbable. I hope not, I'd like to think we could find Your Mum in multiple systems. Your Mum could be a barren wasteland, a frigid ball, or lush and teeming with lifeforms. In fact you'd be more likely to come across Your Mum than meet another human player :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

saneman wrote: »
    It's a certainty I'd say, but will names have to be unique? If so, getting the chance to probe Your Mum will be mathematically improbable. I hope not, I'd like to think we could find Your Mum in multiple systems. Your Mum could be a barren wasteland, a frigid ball, or lush and teeming with lifeforms. In fact you'd be more likely to come across Your Mum than meet another human player :D

Sooo... in a roundabout way, are you saying his momma's so big she's found in multiple galaxies in an infinitely expanding universe? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I wonder if the delay is to provide VR support day 1...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

.....god i hope you can turn off the ****fest that will be players naming things...

Advertisement