Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Who needs to find a planet called "Brians Knob 16#"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Me. I'm fat and haven't seen mine in a while :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Me. I'm fat and haven't seen mine in a while :(

You need to get yourself one of these then

31jJhf5BUML._SX425_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

When they do, they will have to name a new planet "New Brians Knob 16#"

How ****ing moronic is this?

No Man's Sky legal dispute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

That is not the issue here Solvable, the games title is blatantly misogynist, sexist and discriminatory :mad:.

tee-hee-hee

• Registered Users Posts: 45,537 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cormac... wrote: »
    That is not the issue here Solvable, the games title is blatantly misogynist, sexist and discriminatory :mad:.

tee-hee-hee

"To boldly go, where no person has gone before".

Darn tootin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Niska

How ****ing moronic is this?

No Man's Sky legal dispute

Guess the first two names they tried were "No man's edge" and "No man's saga"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Niska wrote: »
    Guess the first two names they tried were "No man's edge" and "No man's saga"...
    Can't wait for "No Man's Virgin"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think they tried "No Man's Scrolls" too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

No Man Reacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

No Man's Plan

No Man's An Island

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Are Sky seriously suing anyone that uses the word sky as part of any product or service? Don't use a single generic fucking noun if you want exclusive use of it you scumbags.

Zillah wrote: »
    Are Sky seriously suing anyone that uses the word sky as part of any product or service? Don't use a single generic fucking noun if you want exclusive use of it you scumbags.

From the article, yes. And Hello Games weren't the only ones either. It all hinges on the s in sky. Lower case sky, we sue your ass. Upper case Sky, ah who cares. Now, the really weird part of the whole article:
    "We finally settled with Sky (they own the word sky). We can call our game No Man's Sky," he tweeted.

Hello Games has not revealed whether it paid Sky to settle the lawsuit.

Sky (The Company) own the word sky (lower case) but not Sky (upper case)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Zillah wrote: »

Yeah they did it to Microsoft, their Onedrive service was called Skydrive.

It's also the nature of copyright law that they *HAVE* to go for anyone who uses it or risk losing their copyright entirely as the next person they fight can say "well you never sued those guys, they're using your name too." I'd say Sky no more wanted to do this than Hello Games did, but that's the fked up nature of these laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

They also went after them when MS tried to register a trademark for Skype in the EU, claiming that its name and logo is too similar to Sky's own.

Pretty sure that's well into litigious territory rather than just the required protection of ones trademark, no?

Shiminay wrote: »
    It's also the nature of copyright law that they *HAVE* to go for anyone who uses it or risk losing their copyright entirely as the next person they fight can say "well you never sued those guys, they're using your name too." I'd say Sky no more wanted to do this than Hello Games did, but that's the fked up nature of these laws.

Nothing stopping them saying "Dear Hello Games, please find enclosed an agreement between us where we license you to use the word "sky" in the title of your upcoming game for the fee of $1. Please sign and return."

That way the next sky-user can't show they didn't pursue it because it was done on license.

I'm not a lawyer but it seems reasonable.

I do understand the need to protect your trademarks lest you lose them, but honestly, there should be a law blocking people from trademarking generic nouns. The sky is a big thing and belongs to everyone. Sky Broadcasting or Sky TV or Sky Digital Services - something more specific like that, sure, but the word sky from the English language? Get the fudge out. I'm going to start a company called ground.

You're not wrong at all Zillah, you'd think people could be grown ups about it and simply come to an agreement where these things didn't waste so much money, but I think you'll find that if the legal profession sniffs a pound to be made, then they'll jump all over it and give the sorts of advice to their clients that only make themselves rich. Never mistake the law in a capitalist society for being fair - it can't be when you have to pay for it. It is never on the side of "the people," only the people paying the bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I did always think Skype was a strange one tbh, it did seem a bit of a rip-off of Skys IP at the time, Im fairly techie and remember assuming it was a Sky property for a long time when it was taking off. No Mans Sky getting sued is a joke though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Well, the legals get paid and sky comes off of this looking like utter $hite.

Win-win for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

No Man's Sky has gone gold.

CmyXY4jWcAAt9J5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im predicting a boring flop due to chronic repetitiveness, I just dont see how they can avoid it. Hope Im wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

No Man's Sky def should go VR

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Doodleking wrote: »
    No Man's Sky def should go VR

No point unless they patch it in later and do a NEO version. PSVR cannot do "proper" games on the PS4 as the console is not powerful enough.

You need the hardware to catch up first, consoles just aren't there yet to do AAA games in VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Yeah but PCs exist...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

No point unless they patch it in later and do a NEO version. PSVR cannot do "proper" games on the PS4 as the console is not powerful enough.

You need the hardware to catch up first, consoles just aren't there yet to do AAA games in VR.

Sean Murray in a recent interview: "I thing it (VR) would be a really good fit for No Man's Sky...(but) we're a super small team I think everyone would want us just focused on the game and getting it out...". Given Sony's stake in the game and their future VR plans NMS must feature as part of that.

Certainly what you've said is true for the current PS4 hardware but I wouldn't be surprised to see some form of VR mod/hack for the PC version sometime after release as I think the pace of the game would suit VR really well, it's by no means a "twitchy" first person experience.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Im predicting a boring flop due to chronic repetitiveness, I just dont see how they can avoid it. Hope Im wrong though.

I think tedium will definitely play it's part in many players moving on before the "end game" (reach centre of galaxy) simply because of it's immense scale, but after how long? After exploring 10 systems, 100, 1000? And would this constitute a flop?

I imagine it'll be a game I'll purchase but my expectations are suitably curtailed and I think I've a clear sense of what it'll offer (and what it won't).

saneman wrote: »
    I imagine it'll be a game I'll purchase but my expectations are suitably curtailed and I think I've a clear sense of what it'll offer (and what it won't).

This is exactly where I am. I think there will be lots of disappointed people but they'll be the ones who let their imaginations run away with them.

As for VR: NMS announced a delay of several months around the time Vives and Rifts started shipping in large numbers. I'd make a big wager that this was to enable VR support.

GUI might be a concern, though. Retrofitting non-VR games for VR is bloody difficult. I tried playing The Solus Project just recently and it was a debacle. Interface was horrible, I didn't last more than a couple of minutes. I'll give it a go again, but after playing made-for-VR games it was really weird going back to point-and-click sort of interfaces, rather than just be able to reach out and grab stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Thargor wrote: »

I think it will be about setting expectations. It'll be repetitive in the way that Fifa is repetitive. If you don't like playing a couple of hundred hours of football games you don't buy Fifa. If you don't like putting a couple of hundred hours into exploring the vast emptiness of space you don't buy No Man's Sky.

There's no complex narrative involved. I applaud the makers of this for trying something different.

Advertisement