Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

Thargor wrote: »
    Im predicting a boring flop due to chronic repetitiveness, I just dont see how they can avoid it. Hope Im wrong though.

I'm not sure what you're expecting. I've always seen it being described as an exploration game - so if you're not into it, then you'd likely find it boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Hope there are Ocean worlds in this....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'm not sure what you're expecting. I've always seen it being described as an exploration game - so if you're not into it, then you'd likely find it boring.
    I just dont see how they can generate a map the size of a galaxy with an algorithm and expect it to be interesting to explore, unless they've written some truly next generation code its just going to be the same blandness over and over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thargor wrote: »
    I just dont see how they can generate a map the size of a galaxy with an algorithm and expect it to be interesting to explore, unless they've written some truly next generation code its just going to be the same blandness over and over and over again.

You're not expected to visit them all, though. No one is proposing that it will be interesting enough to do over millions of times; but a couple dozen, constituting 20-100 hours of enjoyable gameplay? Might work. The rest is just to give a sense of scale; a context of infinite possibility.

We won't know until we try it, but I don't see why you're feeling so pessimistic about it. There are roguelikes with far less complexity than this that people have sunk thousands of hours into.

Also don't forget there is the journey to the centre. There is a meta-purpose to all of the wandering. Whatever you're doing, you're getting closer to the secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If there's supposed to be some sort of secret, there's no doubt it will be public knowledge shortly after release.

• Advertisement

That is the nature of any big spoiler, yes. We have been told there will be something at the centre of the galaxy and the devs definitely phrased it as though it was a big reveal.

My guess is Earth. We're in the future, we're probably robots, humans are dead, and it's Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Zillah wrote: »
    That is the nature of any big spoiler, yes. We have been told there will be something at the centre of the galaxy and the devs definitely phrased it as though it was a big reveal.

My guess is Earth. We're in the future, we're probably robots, humans are dead, and it's Earth.

A lá 'Foundation'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Disc size is only 6GB with a lot of it being audio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Are you able to build an Empire, conquer systems?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Don't think it's that kind of game, but who knows at this point.

• Advertisement

It's an exploration game, not an empire game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

You are the Emperor and you can conquer the Universe 1 planet at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not sure any game can live up to the high expectations that this has. I think I'll be waiting for the reviews to drop before deciding if I'm going to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭brevity

This might be the first game that I book a day of work for. I'm really looking forward to it. Even if it's a little "boring" I dont mind, just cant wait to go exploring.

Wonder if it'll be an MMMORPG (massively massively!) or more on the Dark Souls side, where you mostly play by yourself, but can get people involved in your iteration of the game?

Gotta admit it'll be great to play this with hundreds of other people (especially with friends!) and just exploring together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭maximoose

There's a good chance I'm out of the loop, but AFAIK the chances of meeting other players are very, very, very slim.
    Murray made it clear in an interview with Game Informer that No Man's Sky definitely isn't an MMO. It's not designed to have a bunch of players all in the same place at the same time, playing alongside each other. However, the game is prepared in the unlikely event that you do come into contact with another player, due to a personal 'lobby' that surrounds each player like a bubble.

"What we can do is, like many games that you have at the moment, where you are flying around with an open lobby," Murray said. "People are coming into that lobby and leaving it—like if you play Watch Dogs or something like that. Effectively, we have players joining your discrete space. We're not trying to make an MMO where you can play with literally 60,000 people on screen."

Essentially, think of No Man's Sky as a single-player game that another player might—probably won't, but might—arrive in at some point.

Questions of scale and probability aside, the dev said that not everything is propagated across players. So names and discoveries are, whereas terrain deformations aren't.

I'm pretty sure there's no netcode in the game - you won't meet another player. It's a singleplayer game with community elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Am still really looking forward to this release for a nice relaxing space exploration sim.
    Single player / Multi player - I personally don't give a rats about that. The idea of explore, collect, upgrade just sounds nice to me.
    I'll be in no rush to get straight to the center either. Fook that, when I first log in I'm going left, not forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I actually would have preferred a mix of finding new world's and also finding planets that have already been discovered.

Hmm.. the fact it'll more or less be individual universes kind of makes me dubious about whether I'll get it (or at least have it as a day one purchase, which it was going to be). I love exploring games, but if that's all it is then without other people, I'm not sure how much time I'd put into it.

• Advertisement

I actually would have preferred a mix of finding new world's and also finding planets that have already been discovered.

That's exactly what it is, though. There will probably be very few worlds discovered early on, but as you approach the centre and as time goes on the chances of finding a named world that has been visited by someone else increases.

I don't get why so many people are having so much trouble understanding what this game is offering.

Hmm.. the fact it'll more or less be individual universes kind of makes me dubious about whether I'll get it (or at least have it as a day one purchase, which it was going to be). I love exploring games, but if that's all it is then without other people, I'm not sure how much time I'd put into it.

It is one massive universe where everyone is on their own journey to the centre. The universe itself has a total of 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 possible planets, which is just :eek:. Every player will log in to this one universe. It is so vast that it is unlikely, but not impossible, to meet another human player, though only when more and more people get closer to the center.

Imagine that at the middle of the Universe there's a sign that says, "congratulations, you've discovered the middle. Now go outside and explore real life".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

You will not physically meet another player in this game (at least, not in the first iteration anyway. Perhaps in a future update). Solvable, if your figure on number of planets is correct then that's over 3 billion planets for every single person on this actual planet (not even people who will actually play the game). There is no way they would ever include any sort of interaction between players based on those possibilities. The only interaction there will be is a shared database of planet & animal names. Which you will probably never see either.

I really hope I am wrong. If I am not wrong, I really hope it's in the works to allow interaction between players. I want to love this game but I just don't know if I will...

d31b0y wrote: »
    You will not physically meet another player in this game (at least, not in the first iteration anyway. Perhaps in a future update). Solvable, if your figure on number of planets is correct then that's over 3 billion planets for every single person on this actual planet (not even people who will actually play the game). There is no way they would ever include any sort of interaction between players based on those possibilities. The only interaction there will be is a shared database of planet & animal names. Which you will probably never see either.

I really hope I am wrong. If I am not wrong, I really hope it's in the works to allow interaction between players. I want to love this game but I just don't know if I will...

Taken from the Playstation Blog
    The cool thing is that every planet has a single number, a random seed, that defines everything about that planet. A single random seed generates every blade of grass, tree, flower, creature. So as the developer I can note down the planet seed, and then just go back there any time I want. We demoed this at Gamescom, just jumping round the universe to different planets. There are no load times, because nothing needs to load, as the planets are entirely computer-generated.

Really this seed defines how many planets you can discover before things start to go a bit crazy and undefined. For us we choose a big number. We’re working to a 64-bit system, which is 2 to the power of 64… or 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 possible planets. Even if a planet is discovered every second, it’ll take 585 billion years to find them all!

Elsewhere it was reported that there is less than a 1% chance of meeting another player.

d31b0y wrote: »
    There is no way they would ever include any sort of interaction between players based on those possibilities. The only interaction there will be is a shared database of planet & animal names.

This is a key aspect a lot of people don't seem to understand - at least partially because I think the devs want people to feel like maybe they could meet another player even if they never will. There is no way they are going to design entire live-sync multiplayer functionality for something so unlikely. They've also stated that stuff like terrain deformation is not shared between clients, which means that if I use my laser to dig into a tunnel, you could visit that same tunnel, in theory, but there would be no sign of my digging.

Admitting that they're not syncing that kind of data essentially amounts to a confession that there is no direct player interaction.
    Which you will probably never see either.

It depends on how dense it gets towards the centre. Also, I have a vague memory (though don't hold me to it) that you might be able to see which planets have been explored from a distance? Wasn't there something about being able to see if anyone has scanned a planet and shown it to have resource X, and you can look that up if you are in need of resource X?
    Elsewhere it was reported that there is less than a 1% chance of meeting another player.

What does that mean though? 1% per hour? Per day? Per planet? Per year of game time? Per 'typical player time in the whole game'? They don't know how many people will be play or how much they will play - I don't think anyone is in a position so say what the chance of meeting another player are yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Zillah wrote: »
    That's exactly what it is, though. There will probably be very few worlds discovered early on, but as you approach the centre and as time goes on the chances of finding a named world that has been visited by someone else increases.

I don't get why so many people are having so much trouble understanding what this game is offering.
    I have 0 problem understanding. It's already been stated by the developer that the chance of this is little to none unless you know something the dev doesn't.

I have 0 problem understanding. It's already been stated by the developer that the chance of this is little to none unless you know something the dev doesn't.

Everything I have read says that it's impossible for you and a buddy to find each other in a specific place at a specific time. That's completely different to stumbling across a planet that anyone else has been to at any point in the past.

So it would appear I am wrong about the netcode thing:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-10-burning-questions-answered/
    the game is prepared in the unlikely event that you do come into contact with another player, due to a personal 'lobby' that surrounds each player like a bubble

If you do meet another player you do apparently get synced up and can interact! Maybe the terrain deformation aspect I heard before was just long-term data not being stored/propagated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Just came on to post the exact same thing Zillah... interesting.

The terrain deformation that you mention is touched on in the above article too in that, once you leave the planet / once the planet leaves your "lobby bubble" it will get deconstructed and return to it's original form. So changes that you make will not be permanent for anyone, not even yourself.

Advertisement