Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

DeVore wrote: »
    I don't care if I never see another player, I kinda don't want to. Tell me ONE game where having randos in it makes it better?

Easy.

maxresdefault.jpg

Great post otherwise. I can't wait for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Quandary

If it delivers half of what it promises I will be very pleased

I'm going all in for this game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i've honestly had trouble getting hyped about this.

The original E3 trailer never caught me so I've didnt really keep following, so hopefully when it hits I'll be pleasently surprised.

but what had me worried in the E3 trailer to me it didnt feel like the gameplay adjusted to the changing scope. Sort of like Katamari Damacy, it grows and grows but the gameplay doesnt change to reflect that scale.

Which makes me feel that achieving something like going to a new planet will very quickly lose all sense of accomplishment or exploration that it'll quickly turn into a game with a checklist and a wiki page of what goes with what to get the best results etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I'll buy it just for the 65dos soundtrack....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Can be bought on thegamecollection for €44 until midnight tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Survival was always the angle I found strangest. You just respawn, right?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, i'm guessing you respawn at your ship or on a base on the planet you are on, and lose anything resources you have picked up. Not much of a penalty, but harsh death penalties are usually a way of driving the vast majority of people away very early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, i'm guessing you respawn at your ship or on a base on the planet you are on, and lose anything resources you have picked up. Not much of a penalty, but harsh death penalties are usually a way of driving the vast majority of people away very early on.

Surprised more developers don't get around this by rewarding survival instead of punishing death. Maybe you get better yields from mining the longer you're alive, or an XP boost, or improved odds of finding quality loot or whatever. Seems like it would be a good fit for a game like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I've been on this train since 2013 but Elite has really dampened my hype.

Bought it just after the beta for €40 and i'd say i've put less than 2-3 hours into it...AND THAT'S WITH THE RIFT(dk2)! Just could not get into the, as you said, point at certain location and hit a button gameplay.

HOPING navigation is not aa vast in NMS. As fun as a near real scale universe is, its boring as $hite. There's a reason KSP isn't real scale, the mod does look hard as f*ck though.

Also hoping for some planet variety. Ocean Worlds, barren worlds, dense all mighty forest worlds where there is nowhere to park a spaceship, etc. I know this won't be the case though as customisation is limited to what they feed the algorithms. Nothing unique, everything similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Taylor365 wrote: »

HOPING navigation is not aa vast in NMS. As fun as a near real scale universe is, its boring as $hite. There's a reason KSP isn't real scale, the mod does look hard as f*ck though.

Also hoping for some planet variety. Ocean Worlds, barren worlds, dense all mighty forest worlds where there is nowhere to park a spaceship, etc. I know this won't be the case though as customisation is limited to what they feed the algorithms. Nothing unique, everything similar.

Sean Murray has stated that for gameplay purposes distances between planets will be scaled down somewhat to facilitate travel within a system.

As for hoping for planet variety (& moons) they'll all be different, in the sense that a unique seed will be used to generate each. This will dictate terrain type as well as whether the location has atmosphere, lifeforms, vegetation, and so on. Most will be barren but may still have valuable resources and any in the Goldilocks zone will likely have life of some form. The thing is HG don't know exactly what will be generated and because of the mind boggling number of possibilities they've used "probes" to visit random locations - these created gifs of the destination that could be assessed by the team. Apart from gas giants I'd say every type of planet/moon you could think of will be there, that doesn't mean you'll find it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

i think the multiplayer in this will be incredible,think about it,the chances of meeting another player ever are very slim.. so you are travelling to a planet or whatever and you get attacked by a pirate and halfway through the dogfight you realize that its being piloted to well to be AI,is it another player or not?

The Hype for this game dipped for me in the last few months but im not fully on board,preordered it yesterday from base.com £44 including postage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

bigphil2 wrote: »
    i think the multiplayer in this will be incredible,think about it,the chances of meeting another player ever are very s
    Tpostage

There is no multiplayer in this game, it has no net code.

eh,there is,was confirmed by Sean Murray,not traditional MP but like Journey or Dark Souls

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

eh,there is,was confirmed by Sean Murray,not traditional MP but like Journey or Dark Souls

With the vast size of universe with 18 Quintillion worlds, the likelyhood of running into another player is improbable, not impossible, but as close as you could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Dont see the point, the chances of seeing another player is so remote.

With the vast size of universe with 18 Quintillion worlds, the likelyhood of running into another player is improbable, not impossible, but as close as you could get.

Yep thats what i meant when i said that the multiplayer would be incredible,with the odds so low,meeting another player would be something special..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

If its procedurally generated you only see one world, and that resets when you leave.
    Id still prefer to make a planet my own and return to it.

eddhorse wrote: »
    If its procedurally generated you only see one world, and that resets when you leave.
    Id still prefer to make a planet my own and return to it.

Nope! It doesnt reset..saves the info and regenrates the planet according to your last visit.. that's how if someone else visits a planet you have named and creatures you have named on that planet they see that..

• Advertisement

This was my original theory but the developer has specifically said otherwise. It works with a localised lobby system. When you come within a certain distance of another player y'all sync up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Zillah wrote:
    This was my original theory but the developer has specifically said otherwise. It works with a localised lobby system. When you come within a certain distance of another player y'all sync up.

I'm confused why spend time on that kind of feature if it's extremely unlikely for you to ever come in contact with someone else in game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Yep thats what i meant when i said that the multiplayer would be incredible,with the odds so low,meeting another player would be something special..

I can just imagine the sense of jubilation and discovery upon meeting another player so far up in the heavens, then the feeling of disappointment as you're shot, robbed and tea bagged by the little ex-Modern Warfare brat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I can just imagine the sense of jubilation and discovery upon meeting another player so far up in the heavens, then the feeling of disappointment as you're shot, robbed and tea bagged by the little ex-Modern Warfare brat.
    Human nature is a cruel thing....

dunworth1 wrote: »
    I'm confused why spend time on that kind of feature if it's extremely unlikely for you to ever come in contact with someone else in game

I've been thinking about that. I've read that the game "encourages" you to head to the centre of it's universe. If everyone else is heading that way too, then the further you play, the more likely you are to meet someone else. Also, I think the planets have coordinates, so if we share coordinates, could we rendezvous there?

On the other hand, they could just be ticking a box...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I am actually more enamoured by the 'passive' multiplayer aspect of the game. There's something really potent about the idea of a massive universe populated by millions of different players, all making their own discoveries and journeys, and all that feeding into this massive database of information. It all builds towards a communal understanding and experience of the game, and if Hello pull it off properly will be a welcome realisation of the sort of thing failed experiments like Spore attempted but fell short of.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think the multiplayer aspects are there so players can play together if they want, you'll only be as unlikely to see another player as you want to be. Players who want to hook up with others won't have much issue doing so I'd imagine once their ship is capable of getting around.

All conjecture on my part of course but I'd be surprised if it doesn't end up having factions and the like springing up in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Seemingly some redditor paid $1300 to somehow get the game early,has been streamimg on twitch and putting videos up on youtube and dailymotion. His twitch got banned and the vids are being removed quickly but PC Gamer still have a link to one if anyone wants to see it.

Sean Murray has implored fans to wait and not spoil the surprises he says the game contains. Im prob not gonna watch it but i really wouldnt mind seeing how the game works first hand.

http://www.pcgamer.com/someone-paid-1300-for-no-mans-sky-and-is-posting-gameplay-footage-online/

EDIT: And the link to the video in the srticle is already down:( That did not last long!!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think the multiplayer aspects are there so players can play together if they want, you'll only be as unlikely to see another player as you want to be. Players who want to hook up with others won't have much issue doing so I'd imagine once their ship is capable of getting around.

All conjecture on my part of course but I'd be surprised if it doesn't end up having factions and the like springing up in the game.

The developer has specifically said that this is not the kind of game where you can do that and if you try it you will be disappointed. Finding each other is completely unfeasible, by design.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Zillah wrote: »
    The developer has specifically said that this is not the kind of game where you can do that and if you try it you will be disappointed. Finding each other is completely unfeasible, by design.

Interesting,then I too have to question why they bothered putting the functionality in. How would they stop players from meeting up unless there just isn't any proper navigation possible in the game beyond the general direction of the centre?

Advertisement