Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Mickeroo wrote:
    Interesting,then I too have to question why they bothered putting the functionality in. How would they stop players from meeting up unless there just isn't any proper navigation possible in the game beyond the general direction of the centre?

I think it's down to the vast distance between players

It would take me a really really really long time to get over to where you are

• Registered Users Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

No spoilers in that leaked gameplay at all really.

A lot of resource and inventory management it seems, not sure i'll enjoy that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Interesting,then I too have to question why they bothered putting the functionality in. How would they stop players from meeting up unless there just isn't any proper navigation possible in the game beyond the general direction of the centre?

I think it's all to give the player the feeling of scope and a living world knowing it is possible that they might meet someone, even if it's not likely.

I imagine the main reason you can't meet up is because you have no real way of telling someone where you are.

"I'm on a mountain. The planet is kind of purple. I think it was the four millionth star on the left, in that bluish cluster I found after forty minutes of play."

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Zillah wrote: »
    I think it's all to give the player the feeling of scope and a living world knowing it is possible that they might meet someone, even if it's not likely.

I imagine the main reason you can't meet up is because you have no real way of telling someone where you are.

"I'm on a mountain. The planet is kind of purple. I think it was the four millionth star on the left, in that bluish cluster I found after forty minutes of play."

I was expecting you'd be able to search for a system on the map (if there is a map) once you knew its name.

Edit: Though if players are naming all the systems that's probably not so straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

I always assumed the ending of the game, where you get to the centre of the universe allowed you to meet with other players and you could share your stories. Obviously all guess work but it makes a bit of sense in line with the game design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Sony on damage control. They don't seem to have confidence their game if they get this butthurt about leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Seemingly the guy who got the game early has already reached the centre of the galaxy....after 30hrs!! Hes not saying what hes found though.

Articles on it everywhere so im not gonna link any,also the articles may contain spoilers,another reason im not gonna link any.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Some guy has the Platnium already,Can't wait to read the reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Reading the guy's intentions, about how he wanted to experience things in the game before anyone else, I'd say he just made a beeline to the centre to get hist 1300 bucks worth and say he was first there. I'm still not sold on the game as I just don't know if it will be my cuppa but from the sounds of it, seems like it will be enjoyed more by taking your time and exploring rather than racing to the centre.

• Advertisement

Im not to fussed somebody can reach the centre in 30 or so hours,the 'story' element may only be one part of the game. There are plenty of sandbox games that can continue after the 'story' element has been completed.

I do find it strange that someone can reach the centre that quickly however,i thought the devs said it would take longer?

Anyone know when the NDA is up for reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

No review copies being given out for NMS

https://twitter.com/Open_Critic/status/760174294978605056

I really hope thats not for reasons other than they actually have things in the game they want to be genuinely surprising and dont want them leaked.

I dont pre order so not really a problem for me as id be reading reviews before purchasing but if the game turns out to be rubbish id certainly be disappointed as ive been looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

There are also stories going around that he has a review copy or demo copy and there may be features in those versions that make it easier to get to the centre, planets are closer and items costing less. No idea how much truth is in that but its another side to the story

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    There are also stories going around that he has a review copy or demo copy and there may be features in those versions that make it easier to get to the centre, planets are closer and items costing less. No idea how much truth is in that but its another side to the story

that doesn't really make sense and i really hope that's not the case
    last thing we want is for dev to have special versions of games for review

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

No review copies being given out for NMS

https://twitter.com/Open_Critic/status/760174294978605056

oh that is never good.

me :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

DeSelby83 wrote: »

Surely that can't be true, why in gods name would give a different version to reviewers.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    oh that is never good.

me :D

Well in dooms case it worked out, that got rave reviews, I'm not defending there decision or anything.

Well in dooms case it worked out, that got rave reviews, I'm not defending there decision or anything.

But wouldn't it have gotten good reviews anyway? Just the reviews would have been out sooner.

I see this as them not being confident in the game and are worried that it'll get poor reviews and as a result people won't buy

dunworth1 wrote: »
    But wouldn't it have gotten good reviews anyway? Just the reviews would have been out sooner.

I see this as them not being confident in the game and are worried that it'll get poor reviews and as a result people won't buy

Exactly it would have, I was just pointing out that it worked out ok in dooms situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Exactly it would have, I was just pointing out that it worked out ok in dooms situation.

Not sure I agree with that, Doom Sp is fcuking brilliant and it does little or nothing new just takes what was good in the past and 2016s it. The MP is/was pants havent played it in a while but it was awful.

Maybe they were worried about the MP part?

• Advertisement

An interesting (and hugely optimistic) take on this whole thing from Forbes:

It's Too Early To Start Panicking Over No Mans Sky

ANyway. in the end, the only opinion that matters to me... is my own. I'll keep my pre-order and make up my own mind when I actually get to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I am not going near this game until I read a comprehensive review.

I hate anti consumer BS.

Im done with pre orders,last game i pre ordered was Battlefield 4,and we all know how that turned out. There is literally no reason to pre order,you can have a game day a without a pre order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Man, ive had so much fun watching this ****storm. :)

Looking forward to the game though. From the few streams Ive watched it seems like a nice relaxing game. Game on 1 monitor, movie on another kind of thing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I watched a stream of it last night, looked like a fine mash up of lots of different games which is what I was expecting to see in truth. It's definitely a Steam Sale game for me, if even that though, there just doesn't really seem to be a whole lot to actually "do" in terms of a story, but I freely admit that I probably didn't see enough to grasp a bigger picture.

Still though, I'm so glad I didn't waste any money pre-ordering this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

r6wAGzH.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I can just imagine the sense of jubilation and discovery upon meeting another player so far up in the heavens, then the feeling of disappointment as you're shot, robbed and tea bagged by the little ex-Modern Warfare brat.

lol, reminded me of this key and peele sketch for some reason :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

EoinHef wrote: »
    Seemingly the guy who got the game early has already reached the centre of the galaxy....after 30hrs!!

He has though gone on to say that he's still playing it even after reaching the center of whatever he reached. Arriving at the center is not it seems the end of the game.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It makes sense that the actual campaign (if you want to call it that) part of the game only takes 30 hours or whatever and then the player is free to do what they want with the sandbox there after. Don't really get why those elsewhere on the internet are losing their **** over it tbh.

• Advertisement

That's probably 30 hours if you don't explore or do any side-stuff and just focus on getting to the centre, I would imagine? You could finish many long running games if you just focused on the main task, in fairness. I'd say if you were to play as intended and explore, you'd get hundreds of hours, if you wanted to.

Edit to add:

Skyrim's campaign, of which the "completionist" is 200+ hours, is only 22 1/2 hours according to howlongtobeat.

Advertisement