Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I have it pre ordered with The Game Collection for £36, so I'm hopeful they'll be dispatching tomorrow or Saturday.

Same here pre ordered it when they had that 11% off offer 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Otacon wrote: »
    If this appears at any stage in my game, I'm legging it back to my ship!

Dude, that's a pretty big spoiler. I didn't know anything like that was possible. If I do run into one that's the surprise completely ruined.

I guess I am just at the point where I have to avoid all mention of NMS if I don't want stuff spoiled?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Pre-ordered from Base.com,dunno how good they are with delivering early/on release day though.. was £43 though as i missed out the Gamecollection 11% discount.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Just in case anyone is interested the soundtrack is streaming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I have it pre ordered with The Game Collection for £36, so I'm hopeful they'll be dispatching tomorrow or Saturday.

Likewise. I pre-ordered MGS-V with them and I got it a day early. That was also a midweek release. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Is Base trustworthy? Seems like the cheapest physical copy. Also will any codes work with Irish store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Zillah wrote: »
    Dude, that's a pretty big spoiler.

So this game has so little actual content that just a picture of a single enemy is now a spoiler.

Is Base trustworthy? Seems like the cheapest physical copy. Also will any codes work with Irish store.

I checked them out on here,people seemed the find them trustworthy,didnt see any posts reporting anynightmares..also i think there arent gonna be code issues as there wont be dlc but updates,as far as ive read?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Just actually remembered another site that delivers for release date.

http://deals.simplygames.com/p/no-mans-sky-ps4

£39.85.

Haven't used it myself, but GF's work colleagues have used it in the past. Going to do more research, not a chance I'm paying gamestop €74.99 for it.

So I committed and went with simplygames in the end as an experience..

So this game has so little actual content that just a picture of a single enemy is now a spoiler.

I have little idea of how much content is in there, but for a game all about exploration and discovering different types of life, revealing one of the bigger and more exciting creatures you can find is definitely a spoiler, yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Brought a ps4 yesterday, really looking forward to exploring in this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Zillah wrote:
    I have little idea of how much content is in there, but for a game all about exploration and discovering different types of life, revealing one of the bigger and more exciting creatures you can find is definitely a spoiler, yeah.

That sequence is in every trailer I've seen for the game, so I'm not sure exactly how it's a spoiler.

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    That sequence is in every trailer I've seen for the game, so I'm not sure exactly how it's a spoiler.

Really? Because it's not in the E3 trailer, nor the "I've Seen Things" Trailer, nor Explore, Fight, Trade, or Survive. What trailers did you see it in?

EDIT: I found one from 2013 that features it. So yes, in a trailer, but hardly in "every trailer" given that it's been three years since they used the clip. I wonder if they're even still in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Brought a ps4 yesterday, really looking forward to exploring in this. :)

Careful with that enthusiasm now. It's been decided this game is a let down based on some lad spending a grand on an early retail copy & *gasp* it has a day one patch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Help me out here in my line of thinking.

The procedural generation involved in making this game is over and done with, right?

This was used to create the universe initially, and we are about to explore that now static (but possibly evolving) universe from the time the game launches?

I've never gotten an answer to the above, if one actually exists yet :)

ERG89 wrote: »
    Careful with that enthusiasm now. It's been decided this game is a let down based on some lad spending a grand on an early retail copy & *gasp* it has a day one patch!

Whats he thinking with his,"i think this looks great and i think ill enjoy it" malarky? Eh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Zillah wrote:
    that features it. So yes, in a trailer, but hardly in "every trailer" given that it's been three years since they used the clip. I wonder if they're even still in the game.

Sorry mate, should have said feature. Watched plenty of you tube vids on it and saw it appear regularly, I assumed it wasn't a big deal ( not literally!)

marcbrophy wrote: »

The procedural generation involved in making this game is over and done with, right?

I think when the game when gold that was the case,but any updates etc would probably to to with trading,weapon damage etc? im totally guessing btw..

Also i reckon the universe that the leaker played is not going to be the same as the one on release day,which is why people may have been speculating that it was a developer copy that the guy bought..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This was used to create the universe initially, and we are about to explore that now static (but possibly evolving) universe from the time the game launches?

My understanding of procedural generation is the instance isn't generated until a player enters it and then once a player has been there the instance remains static so if another player visits it will be the same for them. Whether that's how NMS is approaching it I can't say but if the game universe is as big as they say then I'd be surprised if it's all already static.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Procedural generation boils down to a mathematical formula. It's an algorithm that takes an input (say, some numbers) and produces an output (say, a planet). Take a simple maths function like:

f(x,y) = 2x + y

Let's say you arrive at a planet and it's coordinates are (1,1), then the planet will be:

2*1 + 1 = 3

Then you go to the next planet and its coordinates are (5,7), that planet will be:

2*5 + 7 = 17

Now replace the simple maths function with an complex algorithm that produces terrain and you have Minecraft. Throw in some plants and animals and you have No Man's Sky.

So in answer to your question, the procedural generation is not 'done'; the algorithms are. The actual generation happens on the fly as you travel through the world. When you leave, it disappears and is generated again when someone else arrives, but it will be exactly the same as it was for you because it uses the same input and algorithm.

bigphil2 wrote: »
    I think when the game when gold that was the case,but any updates etc would probably to to with trading,weapon damage etc? im totally guessing btw..

Also i reckon the universe that the leaker played is not going to be the same as the one on release day,which is why people may have been speculating that it was a developer copy that the guy bought..

Ah I see, a kind of smaller place for devs to perfect maths formulas on generation techniques or even for reviewers to root around in, without it taking reviewers 200 hours to reach an end game! :)
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    My understanding of procedural generation is the instance isn't generated until a player enters it and then once a player has been there the instance remains static so if another player visits it will be the same for them. Whether that's how NMS is approaching it I can't say but if the game universe is as big as they say then I'd be surprised if it's all already static.

That makes a lot more sense actually, I can get my head around that :D

Procedural generation boils down to a mathematical formula. It's an algorithm that takes an input (say, some numbers) and produces an output (say, a planet). Take a simple maths function like:

f(x,y) = 2x + y

Let's say you arrive at a planet and it's coordinates are (1,1), then the planet will be:

2*1 + 1 = 3

Then you go to the next planet and its coordinates are (5,7), that planet will be:

2*5 + 7 = 17

Now replace the simple maths function with an complex algorithm that produces terrain and you have Minecraft. Throw in some plants and animals and you have No Man's Sky.

So in answer to your question, the procedural generation is not 'done'; the algorithms are. The actual generation happens on the fly as you travel through the world. When you leave, it disappears and is generated again when someone else arrives, but it will be exactly the same as it was for you because it uses the same input and algorithm.

The last paragraph is what had me scratching my noodle!
    If I am in a place that has been created soley by me being there, does it add to the overall universe piece by piece as players spread out and explore.

If I visit a location ABC and I'm the first to visit, I am generating that location for everyone after me (if any) that go there. If I then visit a location XYZ that another player has named, will I see what they saw when they were there?

I think I have figured it out now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The last paragraph is what had me scratching my noodle!
    If I am in a place that has been created soley by me being there, does it add to the overall universe piece by piece as players spread out and explore.

If I visit a location ABC and I'm the first to visit, I am generating that location for everyone after me (if any) that go there. If I then visit a location XYZ that another player has named, will I see what they saw when they were there?

I think I have figured it out now :)

It's not that you're generating it for everyone. It just gets generated by the algorithm because you're there. Then when you leave it's destroyed, only to be generated again when the next person arrives. Just as with the mathematical function above, it will give the same result every time so it doesn't need to be stored anywhere. In fact, this is what allows for such a big universe; it wouldn't be possible to stored all that data. Generating procedurally means that you don't have to.

Things like names of creatures can just be added on afterwards. So -> Arrive at location -> Run algorithm to generate planets and wildlife -> Check the central database to see if any names have been stored for this location -> Leave location -> Delete everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Should also make for a very small download considering the vastness of the game. I read somewhere in the region of 6GB.

EDIT: was a tweet from the official twitter account
    https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/752253747590524930

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

bigphil2 wrote: »
    No plans for dlc..
    ]

They have done it already. They have made a day 1 content pack for free already and have said they will do more.

They have done it already. They have made a day 1 content pack for free already and have said they will do more.

but it wont be dlc that is to be purchased or dl's from the ps store,it will be as part of an update file..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

f(x,y) = 2x + y

2*1 + 1 = 3

2*5 + 7 = 17

friends.gif

:pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Have they even confirmed it's a Day 1 update? Judging by the date on that last tweet of them in the office after 5am, they're only leaving themselves a week to get through all of Sony's cert process which could be pretty tight if they're adding new features and content.

• Advertisement

It's not that you're generating it for everyone. It just gets generated by the algorithm because you're there. Then when you leave it's destroyed, only to be generated again when the next person arrives. Just as with the mathematical function above, it will give the same result every time so it doesn't need to be stored anywhere. In fact, this is what allows for such a big universe; it wouldn't be possible to stored all that data. Generating procedurally means that you don't have to.

Things like names of creatures can just be added on afterwards. So -> Arrive at location -> Run algorithm to generate planets and wildlife -> Check the central database to see if any names have been stored for this location -> Leave location -> Delete everything.

Beautiful stuff!
    Well explained :D

Advertisement