Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If it's anything like Minecraft they could just tweak the seed and generate an entirely different universe. There were probably several different seeds during development, and then one finalised "consumer" seed for the official game. No way of telling which one he got.

Not that it matters, really, with 18 quintillion planets it's not like he's gone and spoiled the ones you personally will be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

marcbrophy wrote: »
    The last paragraph is what had me scratching my noodle!
    If I am in a place that has been created soley by me being there, does it add to the overall universe piece by piece as players spread out and explore.

If I visit a location ABC and I'm the first to visit, I am generating that location for everyone after me (if any) that go there. If I then visit a location XYZ that another player has named, will I see what they saw when they were there?

I think I have figured it out now :)

Did you ever play Worms?

In Worms you could type in any name or word or set of numbers and the game would create a level and if you played on someone else's machine and typed the same word it would generate exactly the same level. As a kid I understood that there were millions and millions of combinations of letters and numbers and therefore millions and millions of possible levels and I couldn't get my head around how the game had created them all.

Procedural generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Did you ever play Worms?

Worms!!!! Legend of a game.

Nothing more satisfying than getting right up to a a weak enemy at the edge of a cliff and giving them 'The Prod'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Did you ever play Worms?

In Worms you could type in any name or word or set of numbers and the game would create a level and if you played on someone else's machine and typed the same word it would generate exactly the same level. As a kid I understood that there were millions and millions of combinations of letters and numbers and therefore millions and millions of possible levels and I couldn't get my head around how the game had created them all.

Procedural generation.

Great games alright :D

Yeah, I know what procedural generation is alright, what I was curious about was how the specific mechanics of the game allowed it to work. How they generate the universe is what has piqued my interest in this game more than what you can do inside said universe :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Well, I don't know about the game, but the soundtrack is a masterpiece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

A grouping of the 4 trailers.

At certain points the player looks to be flying in a wing I wonder if thats AI or intentional as a marketing tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

dreamers75 wrote: »
    A grouping of the 4 trailers.

At certain points the player looks to be flying in a wing I wonder if thats AI or intentional as a marketing tool.

I haven't seen AI wings as a feature in NMS anywhere so far but with factions, possibly, although i didn't see anything there that looked like flying in a wing as much as flying close to one. I think the the whole trailer is a marketing tool btw :D

How can a game on disc be 6GB, but end up being so much more afterwards? I mean.. can you fit a gazillion planets on 6GB?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

How can a game on disc be 6GB, but end up being so much more afterwards? I mean.. can you fit a gazillion planets on 6GB?

It's mainly just a mathematical equation recycling as set amount of textures and conditions with some audio files. Like Minecraft randomly generating levels everytime you play.

It's not like set levels being mapped and built in a traditional game.

It's mainly just a mathematical equation recycling as set amount of textures and conditions with some audio files. Like Minecraft randomly generating levels everytime you play.

It's not like set levels being mapped and built in a traditional game.

Ohhh. That makes a whole lot more sense now.

Minecraft. In. SPAAAAAACCCCEEE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

The playstation store has it listed as 3.4GB :D

I think this is a PC purchase for me though!
    A universe in 4k? :eek:

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ohhh. That makes a whole lot more sense now.

Minecraft. In. SPAAAAAACCCCEEE.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Hahahah.

This will be me in the weeks coming up to NMS.

"Dad, are you space?"

"Yes, we'll be together"

This is my new favourite video. It's just so horrendously funny.

"Look an Eclipse. Look. NO! Don't look!"

"Star. Star. Star. Another Star. Getting bored of space". And then they just get fed up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Woop woop Simplygames games has already shipped it

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Looks like Base.com wont be shipping until Monday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

TheGameCollection won't ship until Monday too according to their Twitter.

ive got stuff from UK in 2 days before so im still hopeful..otherwise Wednsday trying to not look at streams is going to be tough..

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Not sure how quick Base.com are for delivery but TGC are quick enough from the UK too so I am optimistic for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

TheGameCollection won't ship until Monday too according to their Twitter.

They usually ship on the Friday morning before a Tuesday release, looks like Wednesday when it will be in your parcel motel.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I know I've been a bit negative about the game in the last few pages, but I really, really hope that all of you silly sausages who pre-ordered it get a great game and that you all enjoy it. I would like to think that the majority of us are smart enough to understand criticism of shady marketing over-hype and pre-ordering of untested products is universal and not specific to NMS and it's the sort of business practice that needs to be cut out of our hobby for being the cancer that it is.

If it's any good at all, I'll be buying a copy :D

• Advertisement

Woop woop Simplygames games has already shipped it

Cancelled with Base.com and reordered here.only a couple of £ in the difference

Aaaand it's dispatched already..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll pick it up from Smyth's at this stage.
    The last few preorders had me post box gazing, and disappointed in the end, as even when it arrived I was working and couldn't take advantage of the early arrival date!
    Plus, the cash is burning a hole in my wallet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Anyone notice how slow this week is going?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ive a question, ships? are they randomly generated? or do we have 20 ships and thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I seem to recall ship variations being procedural too.

So looks like the leak won't affect planet and and Animal Naming now.

No Man's Sky Servers Will Be Wiped Before Release http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/05/no-mans-sky-servers-will-be-wiped-before-release?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I hope patch goes some way to fixing the pop in. It can be pretty bad at times

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

PC release date August 12th - link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    I hope patch goes some way to fixing the pop in. It can be pretty bad at times

I mentioned the pop in about a year ago and people told me it was the dev version and it would be fixed on release. It's not.

I've been watching streams and to be honest, the pop in doesn't bother me much. Neither does the FOV. People are losing their **** over the low 50 FOV and I just don't get what the big deal is. People being drama llama's.

Lots of inventory management though. I was afraid of that. I think I might enjoy the exploration though.

Advertisement