Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Surely the FOV is not locked on PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Game cancelled my pre order of the special edition on Thursday due to low stock. I had it pre ordered for months.

Anyway cost near enough €20 more in gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Game cancelled my pre order of the special edition on Thursday due to low stock. I had it pre ordered for months.

Anyway cost near enough €20 more in gamestop.

They have had a bad habit of doing that for well over a year now and not just with special editions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The soundtrack is on spotify now too. Really liking it.

It's been a great week for game soundtracks with this and Abzu earlier in the week.

Kirby wrote: »
    I've been watching streams and to be honest, the pop in doesn't bother me much.
    Lots of inventory management though. I was afraid of that. I think I might enjoy the exploration though.

Being procedurally generated, is the pop in caused by tesselation? Might be a tricky one to fix, without altering the terrain that gets generated. Doesn't bother me all that much, in any case.

Inventory management wouldn't bother me a great deal either. UI seems a little like Destiny, going by the screenshots I've seen.

And the exploration and discovery is a big draw for me also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

This is a ps4 man. How much tessellation is going on here? I'd wager none. Or a tiny amount. The graphics cards the consoles have simply can't handle a huge amount of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    I hope patch goes some way to fixing the pop in. It can be pretty bad at times

What's a 'pop in'?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Blatter wrote: »
    What's a 'pop in'?

Its where something loads in on screen.

So it literally appears out of nowhere ahead of the player a *pop in*

It use to be very common in racing games in the 32 bit era but by the last generation it was considered all but dead (hell I'd argue it was gone by the ps2 era except in the most incompetant areas)

The first version of Daytona USA on the Sega Saturn is a good example of it:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

^^^^^ slightly off topic. But that's a class racing game. Not as good as Gran Turismo 2 though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

^^^^^ slightly off topic. But that's a class racing game. Not as good as Gran Turismo 2 though.

The original one on the Saturn didn't really look great but played like a dream.
    The remake on the same system was terrible in every respect.
    The 2001 Daytona game on the DC remains outstanding, still looks superb, despite being 15 years old :eek:

Same system has the magnificent F355 Challenge, beautiful game.

• Advertisement

"Daytoooooona!........."

:p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Must...resist....preordering....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Sarn

I'm a little bit tempted to get this week one. Just started playing Starbound again as a distraction since it hit version 1.0.x, so hopefully that will offset any impulse purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

tok9 wrote: »
    The soundtrack is on spotify now too. Really liking it.

It's been a great week for game soundtracks with this and Abzu earlier in the week.
    If the game isn't good at least we will have the soundtrack.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Day one update notes just released, they seem to have changed a lot of stuff and addressed some issues people had especially with inventory. The future content seems interesting too.

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/update-1-03/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Its where something loads in on screen.

So it literally appears out of nowhere ahead of the player a *pop in*

It use to be very common in racing games in the 32 bit era but by the last generation it was considered all but dead (hell I'd argue it was gone by the ps2 era except in the most incompetant areas)

The first version of Daytona USA on the Sega Saturn is a good example of it:

Do we all feel suitably old now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Day one update notes just released, they seem to have changed a lot of stuff and addressed some issues people had especially with inventory. The future content seems interesting too.

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/update-1-03/

so even if you get it early theres no point in playing it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

dunworth1 wrote: »
    so even if you get it early theres no point in playing it

Looks like that, the patch seems to change a lot in the game. Watched some streams and noticed that the inventory was very small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Notes for Patch version 1.03 released.

Servers will be wiped on Sunday and again Monday in the lead up to launch.

Beware these notes contain some spoilers. Here are some things our little team has been up to over the last four or five weeks:
    The Three Paths – there are now new, unique “paths” you can follow throughout the game. You must start the game on a fresh save, with the patch, as early choices have significant impact on what you see later in the game, and the overall experience.
    The Universe – we changed the rules of the universe generation algorithm. Planets have moved. Environments have changed biomes. Galaxies have altered shape. All to create greater variety earlier. Galaxies are now up to 10x larger.
    Diversity – Creatures are now more diverse in terms of ecology and densities on planets.
    Planets – we’ve added dead moons, low atmosphere and extreme hazardous planets. Extreme hazards include blizzards and dust storms.
    Atmosphere – space, night time and day skies are now 4x more varied due to new atmospheric system, which refracts light more accurately to allow for more intense sunsets.
    Planet rotation – play testing has made it obvious people are struggling to adjust to this during play so it’s effects have been reduced further…
    Terrain generation – caves up to 128m tall are now possible. Geometric anomalies have been added. Underwater erosion now leads to more interesting sea beds.
    Ship diversity – a wider variety of ships appear per star system, and are available to purchase. Cargo and installed technology now vary more, and ships have more unique attributes.
    Inventory – ship inventories now store 5 times more resources per slot. Suit inventories now store 2.5 times more per slot. This encourages exploration and gives freedom from the beginning. We’re probably going to increase this even further in the next update, for people in the latter game phases, and will allow greater trading potential.
    Trading – trading is deeper. Star systems and planets each have their own wants and needs, based off a galactic economy. Observing these is the key to successful trading. We still working on adjusting this based on how everyone plays, but all trading values have been rebalanced across the galaxy, giving a greater depth. A bunch of trade exploits were uncovered and have been removed
    Feeding – creatures now have their own diet, based on planet and climate. Feeding them correctly will yield different results per species, such as mining for you, protecting the player, becoming pets, alerting you to rare loot or pooping valuable resources.
    Survival – recharging hazard protection requires rare resources, making shielding shards useful again. Storms can be deadly. Hazard protection and suit upgrades have been added. Liquids are often more dangerous
    Graphical effects – Lighting and texture resolution have been improved. Shadow quality has doubled. Temporal AA didn’t make it in time, but it’s so close
    Balancing – several hundred upgrades have had stat changes (mainly exo-suit and ship, but also weapon), new upgrades have been added.
    Combat – Auto Aim and weapon aim has been completely rewritten to feel more gentle in general, but stickier when you need it. Sentinels now alert each other, if they haven’t been dealt with quickly. Quad and Walker AI is now much more challenging, even I struggle with them without a powered up weapon.
    Space Combat – advanced techniques have been introduced, like brake drifting and critical hits. Bounty missions and larger battles now occur. Pirate frequency has been increased, as well as difficulty depending on your cargo.
    Exploits – infinite warp cell exploit and rare goods trading exploit among other removed. People using these cheats were ruining the game for themselves, but people are weird and can’t stop themselves ¯\_(シ)_/¯
    Stability – foundations for buildings on super large planets. Resolved several low repro crashes, in particular when player warped further than 256 light years in one session (was only possible due to warp cell exploit above).
    Space Stations – interiors are now more varied, bars, trade rooms and hydroponic labs have been added
    Networking – Ability to scan star systems other players have discovered on the Galactic Map, increasing the chance of collision. Star systems discovered by other players appear during Galactic Map flight
    Ship scanning – scanning for points of interest from your ship is now possible. Buildings generate earlier and show up in ship scans
    Flying over terrain – pop-in and shadow artefacts have been reduced. Generation speed has been increased two fold (planets with large bodies of water will be targeted in next update)
    Writing – The Atlas path has been rewritten by James Swallow (writer on Deus Ex) and me. I think it speaks to the over-arching theme of player freedom more clearly now. Early mission text has been rewritten to allow for multiple endings.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Hope my copy arrives Tuesday now.. Very excited..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Well excited for it. Shame TGC didn't ship early since the earliest I'll have it is Wednesday now, but what you gonna do.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Entire week off as inbetween stuff with work. Hoping i get it monday after patch as mine was shipped on thursday

Just looking at the patch, damn this game is ambitious

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Given the interface has drawn a few comparisons to Destiny, I read those (crazy ambitious and very intriguing) patch notes and have to say it sounds like the sort of game Destiny should have been. That game had an insane budget and promised the galaxy. And yet Bungie only managed to turn in a grindy FPS set in a few disappointingly small, bland sandboxes. This game, with a fraction of the budget, seems to boast the sort of scale and systems far beyond even the early Destiny teases and promises. If it manages to pull it off, it'll be a real, tangible victory for smaller scale development vs the megabudgets - even if the guns probably won't feel quite as good :P

You need variety though. There is a reason they have given the suit x5 times more storage space. Because nearly every player in the streams i've seen spent 90% of their time pointing their laser at a resource, collecting that resource and replenishing their energy with it. All day every day. That's going to get boring fast.

Giving people more storage so they don't have to collect all the bloody time is a step in the right direction but it worries me that it took till nearly release day for them to realise this was a problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've a feeling the hype is overblown for this game. I definitely will be waiting for reviews to appear and wouldn't be taking any chances pre-ordering. The last time I saw half as much hype for a game was Fallout 4 and that turned out to be a bit of a dud in retrospect. I really don't see this having the gameplay variety needed to sustain the experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Whose fault is the hype though? It seems to be players themselves who have bigged this up as some sort of second coming. While Hello and Sony have certainly tried to keep interests piqued over the last few years, that's kind of their job. For the most part, Sean Murray in particular has been pretty realistic and moderated in what he's been saying about the game (from what I've read/seen anyway, I don't really follow pre-release stuff too closely). His comments definitely are more grounded than your typical PR speak. To me, it seems like the game's biggest (pre)fans have been the ones hyping it up to something beyond what has been promised / shown. And this isn't a big name sequel that has huge expectations merely by existing (ala Fallout 4, which was indeed a creative dud), so it's particularly strange to see it having attracted so many... zealots?

My primary interest in the whole project is whether they'll get that exploration feel down. Procedural generation in games has traditionally been something that struggles to create interesting worlds. No Man's Sky, though, appears to have used it in a more aesthetically interesting and thematically ambitious way, making the unexpected and random a key part of its appeal - with enough authored elements to make it worthwhile in the first place, of course. If - still an if, of course - I can hop in a ship, fly to a planet and uncover something legitimately unique or captivating, I think the game will have delivered in what was so intriguing about that first trailer. If it boasts enough gameplay systems and possibilities to justify and sustain a dozen or two hours of that - and going by those patch notes anyway, it looks like there could well be plenty of things to do - I'll be more than satisfied. Do I expect the 'greatest thing'? Nope. Might it struggle to maintain interest in the medium to long term? Sure. But still plenty interested in seeing what it has to offer, and personally the developers are already sending out encouraging notes about how they intend on keeping players interested beyond those key early hours. Sure we'll all find out if they've delivered or not over the next week or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Day one patch notes and future content has just made me go and pre-order. I was probably gonna anyway but I pretty much read it yesterday evening, bounced onto steam and placed my order. :P
    If it bites me in the arse, so be it but it sounds exactly like what I've been looking for for a long time. With the potential to build bases and own giant freighters in the future I was pretty much insta-sold.

Advertisement