Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Zillah wrote: »
    Ok, I'll bite: why are you getting 4 copies?

A lot of hype around the office for it led to being asked to make a few orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Guys who have ordered from TGC. Generally how long does shipping and delivery take to here? My copy just dispatched!

I think it is normally 2 business days for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    Alien colonial marines 2.0 perhaps

Don't even joke about that :eek:

The internet would burn lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Guys who have ordered from TGC. Generally how long does shipping and delivery take to here? My copy just dispatched!

I always get mine sent to my Parcel Motel address from them so sometimes i get it the next day. Will be definitely launch day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Parcel motel will get the TGC order tomorrow and it'll be in Dublin for late Tuesday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Can you play 3rd person at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Can you play 3rd person at all?

Not at launch but they may add it if enough people request it, at least that is what they've said regarding requesting new features etc.

I'd like it added anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I'd like it added anyway...

Tweet @NoMansSky and request it.

Otacon wrote: »
    Tweet @NoMansSky and request it.

Not on twitter but hopefully enough people do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There is a bit of mystery as to who or what you are playing, so third-person might be out for that reason alone. Didn't Sean say that you wouldn't recognise another player but that they would stand out as a unique model?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's also the resources involved. You'd need to do a 3rd person model with all the animations and terrain modifiers that go with it which is a massive amount of work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Rami Ismail talking sense as usual on release day patches and the problem with having to 'go gold' weeks or months in advance: http://ramiismail.com/2016/08/patch-the-process/
    Day 1 Patches aren’t necessarily a failure on the developers or the platforms side, they the result of people that care about what they make, trying to deliver the game the audience expects by the date they expect it, while everybody involved is struggling with outdated systems on cutting-edge technology. Everyone is trying their hardest. Nobody is doing anything wrong. The developer isn’t lazy. The platforms aren’t malicious. Day 1 patches are simply a patch to a submission system that’s old and convoluted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hello Games are live-streaming the latest build this evening at 7:30pm

https://www.twitch.tv/hellogamesofficial

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

ooh!!! mine started to download when I turned on my PS4. Its nearly time lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

From my experience, Parcel Motel will get the package in the afternoon and will probably land into your drop off point that evening at around 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

That_Guy wrote: »
    From my experience, Parcel Motel will get the package in the afternoon and will probably land into your drop off point that evening at around 8pm.

It depends on where you are, if you live in the West and they get it in the afternoon, you will not get it till around 07.00 am the next day.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Are there really people so bereft of smarts and understanding that they're actually complaining about Day 1 patches? The mind boggles... It's 2016, it's time you learned about how software is made if you're going to call yourself a gamer and you want to be able to have conversations about the industry and the end product.

I had to explain to my very angry PS4 owning friend that "going gold" does not mean that they've earned a gold record sales figure, but it means the game has been sent to mass production. He was sitting there in his flat incensed about "these fking games makers already boasting about how much money they've made when the thing hasn't even been released yet." It took him ten minutes to calm down about a thing he had completely invented in his head because he wasn't bothered to do the most basic reading about how a game is made. I'm sure he wasn't the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Xenji wrote: »
    It depends on where you are, if you live in the West and they get it in the afternoon, you will not get it till around 07.00 am the next day.

Like I say, my experience that when Parcel Motel receive the package, it's always delivered out to my PM in Ashbourne that evening. It's on the way back up North so it would make sense for them to drop off packages on their way.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Day 1 patches are the over hang of an out-dated system whereby the manufacturing process needs time to produce and ship discs. I have no problem with Day 1 patches as it means the devs worked on it long after it shipped, though I do question how much testing has gone into some of them but that's a different discussion...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

DeVore wrote: »
    I do question how much testing has gone into some of them but that's a different discussion...

Potentially no more or less than a wholly-digital 1.0 version they've been working on right up until release day :) Definitelty a few of the more open developers seem to be tinkering right up until something close to the final hour.

But yeah, I think Day 1 patches are mostly a positive or at least negligible thing. There's ripping the piss for sure - was it Tony Hawks 5 that had a preposterous shortage of the final stuff on the disc? - but unless somebody is stuck with poor internet for whatever reason (still sadly a concern), there's plenty of benefits to being able to patch a game right as people are actually able to play it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I suppose those console gamers amongst us with longer memories than the PS3/360 can recall a golden era when a game that was released was the finished game.
    Yes, there were games that were buggy as hell, games that were terrible and no opportunities to expand the game beyond buying the sequel, but at least most big releases were released as finished.
    Super Mario World, Metroid Prime, Sonic 2, Resident Evil, F1'97, Wipeout 3, Nights into Dreams, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Mario 64, Goldeneye, Mario Kart Double Dash, Resident Evil 4... none of them needed patching after release, there was no way to do it, so they were released as finished items.
    Modern games are released in their near beta state, with error reports going to repair the games as the player does the testing.
    And, it might be normal to see games patched, the delay to see a game installed can be infuriating, but the seeming need to install massive updates on most modern releases is insane.
    In the case of No Man's Sky, are we really going to be treated to a massive day 1 patch?
    Why not release the game when it is finished instead?
    Are we to believe that when a game is ready for release it's a very different concept to the game being complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Does the game unlock at midnight for those who have pre-ordered anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

https://www.twitch.tv/hellogamesofficial

Creators of the game are doing a live stream

Does the game unlock at midnight for those who have pre-ordered anyone know?

If you bought it on a U.S account it won't unlock until 5 am our time

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The stream looks great, in fact it kinda looks like its going to eat my life lol...

If I have a regular Irish account will it unlock 12 midnight on Thursday?

The stream looks great, in fact it kinda looks like its going to eat my life lol...

Midnight Tuesday on PS4, Midnight Thursday on PC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Saw 5 or 6 different streams over the weekend, but it's nice to see the official one from the devs!

The whole planet needs to exist at once, there's no ability to hide it behind smoke and mirrors, Mr Murray was saying :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Have they sorted out day/night cycles? Do stars have any impact on planets?

Heard they had to slow rotation of planets as some apes found orbital mechanics too hard to understand.....shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

How much of a difference is there likely to be between the console and PC version? I imagine overall graphics would obv be superior on PC, but will there be any gameplay variances?

Advertisement