Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Day night cycles affect the graphics as he said that landing on the sunny side will mean its day etc and also we saw a sunset happen while he was running around.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

TBH, that stream looked pretty fun... I can see this being an interesting exploration game but I have a feeling there is a lot more to it that they aren't discussing (like the over arching story line etc).

Hopefully it lives up to its promise but so far it certainly looks like something worth investing time in. See you Midnight on Thursday for a few hours at least hehehe...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Poor Sean looks like he needs some well deserved sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I suppose those console gamers amongst us
    In the case of No Man's Sky, are we really going to be treated to a massive day 1 patch?
    Why not release the game when it is finished instead?
    Are we to believe that when a game is ready for release it's a very different concept to the game being complete?

Well I have the game sitting on my PS4 as of 6pm this evening with the V1.03 patch in the main download as is, full game plus patch comes in at 5.5Gb so all good.

Don't see the big deal myself. The patch is only 800mb anyway, that's small considering most releases this year have had bigger patches at release or in their first week of release. Just the way things are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well I'm a sucker. Just pre-ordered it so I could play at midnight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Well I'm a sucker. Just pre-ordered it so I could play at midnight.

Me too, except it's midnight tomorrow. Was sure it was tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Me too, except it's midnight tomorrow. Was sure it was tuesday.

Same here! Fecking gutted now, was convinced it was today. Gonna be working til 3am tomorrow too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

DeVore wrote: »
    TBH, that stream looked pretty fun... I can see this being an interesting exploration game but I have a feeling there is a lot more to it that they aren't discussing (like the over arching story line etc).

I'm hoping that there is. It could get old fast if all there is to do is a repeat of what we saw during the stream. Land on a planet; Explore and mine; Trade; Move to the next planet....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Anyone getting the US version to have it a whole 17 hours earlier?

Yeah, it would be a shame if that's all there is to it but they strongly hinted that it wasn't and while I'm ok with an exploration game that is full of harvesting and seeing-whats-over-the-next-ridge it would be great if there was also a genuine storyline to go with it. Given the whole "get to the centre of the universe" thing, plus the three faction/races and the languages and also the missions they mentioned today, I think there is something either in there or in the works. For the moment, if its just that I'll be happy enough to womble about and build a bigger ship and see where they take this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Streaming it for the past couple of hours on twitch had at max 3.5k viewers watching. A lot of interest in but the multiplayer needs to be clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

With regards to multiplayer, Sean Murray (@NoMansSky) tweeted today:
    @NoMansSky wrote:
    To be super clear - No Man's Sky is not a multiplayer game. Please don't go in looking for that experience.

And followed it up with:
    @NoMansSky wrote:
    The chances of two players ever crossing paths in a universe this large is pretty much zero.

I'm on mobile, so can't link properly. I read elsewhere that if there was enough demand for a multiplayer aspect, it could be included down the line. The article was quoted Sean. There was a mention of playing alongside friends, trading, and a message system. Id say there's a good chance that such features would never be included - it'd mean changing the mechanics of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Sean Murray is doing an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit right now, started 28 mins ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4wsra2/i_quit_my_job_at_ea_where_i_worked_on_burnout/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

ShaneU wrote: »
    Midnight Tuesday on PS4, Midnight Thursday on PC

After getting pushed back a little bit more:

"The reality is that we're still here working on it right now. There's no conspiracy, we're just racing to get all the extra options and stuff we want. PS4 comes out tomorrow and we'll just try to pretend it's a normal work day! Best guess right now is 6pm GMT on Friday, but we'll keep you up to date as we get closer."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

MiskyBoyy wrote:
    "The reality is that we're still here working on it right now. There's no conspiracy, we're just racing to get all the extra options and stuff we want. PS4 comes out tomorrow and we'll just try to pretend it's a normal work day! Best guess right now is 6pm GMT on Friday, but we'll keep you up to date as we get closer."

Ah here people who booked Friday off will be pissed as would I if i had booked it off

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But yeah, I think Day 1 patches are mostly a positive or at least negligible thing. There's ripping the piss for sure - was it Tony Hawks 5 that had a preposterous shortage of the final stuff on the disc? - but unless somebody is stuck with poor internet for whatever reason (still sadly a concern), there's plenty of benefits to being able to patch a game right as people are actually able to play it.

The Tony Hawks 5 disc basically contained the tutorial. The rest of the game was the Day 1 patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Forget about multiplayer lads, people are basically gowls. Randomers being pricks would ruin this game. :pac:

I want to explore the universe on my own :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

DeVore wrote: »
    Yeah, it would be a shame if that's all there is to it but they strongly hinted that it wasn't and while I'm ok with an exploration game that is full of harvesting and seeing-whats-over-the-next-ridge it would be great if there was also a genuine storyline to go with it. Given the whole "get to the centre of the universe" thing, plus the three faction/races and the languages and also the missions they mentioned today, I think there is something either in there or in the works. For the moment, if its just that I'll be happy enough to womble about and build a bigger ship and see where they take this...

is there only three factions/races in this? had the impression there was more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

The early 'reviews in progress' are in from IGN, Gamespot, Destructoid et al.

Even at this point I think we can safely say the game is a huge success.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Watched a gameplay video and can't say I was overly impressed.

Looks kinda like a mindless resource collect-a-thon and it isn't very pretty.

• Advertisement

Here's a more critical piece from Polygon.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/8/9/12408750/no-mans-sky-first-impressions-review-preview-10-hours

What seems to be emerging is that the game is a technical marvel with some rather repetitive, and potentially damaging, gameplay loops.

I haven't been unduly hyped for this game but I nonetheless avoided as much as I could because I suspected, even hoped, that Hello Games had a few surprises in store.

So perhaps I'm a little late to be commenting on this but I must say I'm slightly dissapointed to hear it being described as a 'survival game'. I knew there would be resource management and crafting but I didn't expect it to be 'constant' or 'annoying'.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Watched a gameplay video and can't say I was overly impressed.

Looks kinda like a mindless resource collect-a-thon and it isn't very pretty.

I agree. I've never thought it was an attractive looking game and now I know the moment to moment gameplay isn't for me either.

I've just read most of the 'reviews' there. I don't normally get excited by review scores but I'm very interested in where this one ends up.

Virtually everyone is enamoured with the sense of scale and potential for exploration, but with reservations about the underlying gameplay systems.

7.5/10 is the new 'dunno' so maybe a few of those.

Anyway that's me done. Happy exploring to everyone that's been waiting anxiously for this game for so long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I wouldn't get hung up on a little resource management.
    If the game is trying to be about exploration and bring one person out there in the universe, it's hardly surprising that early on you're going to spend time cobbling together the things you need to explore.
    Plus, with space stations and trading later on, is say the game changes nature over time.
    Either way. I'll find out tomorrow!

Sean Murray gave a great Q&A on Reddit the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

Pity it isn't multiplayer.

Sean Murray gave a great Q&A on Reddit the last day.

[URL=Here's"https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4wtcet/sean_murrays_ama_summarized/"]Here's[/URL] the link for anyone interested. By most AMA standards Sean's was very short. One or two nice stories, but most of it was tripe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Digital Foundry look at the PS4 version. Procedural generation seems to be a big strain on the underpowered PS4 CPU. Might be a game that will give my PC a few hiccups, even with a 1070 GTX I've only a decent i5.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-no-mans-sky-performance-analysis

Didn't realise the game used voxels, probably just for terrain.

Over on Kotaku, one of the lads made a diary post (I didn't read it all, but most likely contains spoilers), on his first two hours with the game. I thought his little synopsis was positive. It's what I expected from the game.
    Since then, I’ve spent another 2-3 hours with No Man’s Sky, and so far I’m having a blast. It’s a lovely, serene space adventure that was clearly designed for people who love exploring. Don’t expect this to be the space game of all space games—it’s clear from the beginning that there are a very set number of things you can do—but if you’re into chill exploration games, this will probably be up your alley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Wtf is this "Chill Exploration"? Is this a term for used in a game where there is very very little to do but go from planet to planet gathering resources??

Ha gathering resources.

Enjoy wasting your time and money.

Advertisement