Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Excellent, gonna kick it off when I go home then. Cheers dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

VideoGamer currently streaming

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Every stream I've clicked on so far, they've been shooting at plants or rocks for resources.

Interest waning.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭pulpfictionost

I've had a look at some of the streams, looks like the player just travels around as a humanoid.
    Very similar to my own life. Booooring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Every stream I've clicked on so far, they've been shooting at plants or rocks for resources.

Interest waning.

You have been watching everyone at the start of their experience where we all start with no resources and an inventory that needs to be filled and expanded. Once upgrades start kicking in there will be less and less grinding as you can store much more of what is needed. At least that's how i read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time out of your day to give us your input..

And the circle jerk continues.

Best haul yere way through this game and trade in cos in a few weeks the trade in value is gonna be nowt.

I've had a look at some of the streams, looks like the player just travels around as a humanoid.
    Very similar to my own life. Booooring.

Your problems are over

http://www.crossyroad.com/

No more humanoid experiences for you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Peist2007 wrote: »
    You have been watching everyone at the start of their experience where we all start with no resources and an inventory that needs to be filled and expanded. Once upgrades start kicking in there will be less and less grinding as you can store much more of what is needed. At least that's how i read it.

Maybe. It just sort of looks exactly like my worst fears of what it might to turn out to be, so far. I'll be hanging on to my cash for a bit to see how it pans out anyway. Will have a better idea in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Ye i think all the initial impressions are valid in that its shooting rocks and inventory management but I guess we need to let people get realy stuck into this before its really starts to show us what it really is and who knows it may not reveal anymore than we're seeing now but I think its best not to judge the entire game on what we've seen so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

me_irl wrote: »

*clicks*
    "...as long as you enjoy walking around picking up things you'll be fine..."
    "...hang on that's not exactly all--"
    "That's exactly it."

Uh oh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd trade that Aoife one for Ellie Gibson any day of the week. Glad to see Ellie will be on Dara O'Brien's new show. Her occasional articles on eurogamer are still some of the highlights of the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Ellie Gibson is terrible and tries far too hard to be funny.

All this talk of shooting at rocks to collect resources is reminding of EVE and I ****ing hate EVE. Might give this a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

You ordered from TGC right? PM have charged me for it, so they should have it.
    I got email in the last half hour saying its at the Dublin Depot so hopefully get it tonight

No email just yet. Hmmmm. Boo-urns.

EDIT: Scratch that. It's on the way!!

May need to grab a few snacks on the way to the aul Parcel Motel later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

me_irl wrote: »

Looks boring. Great programming with the procedurally generated universe, I'm sure these guys will go on to do great things. But the game needs a storyline imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Aye I got my email from PM as well.

And some people seem to be revelling in the idea NMS might not be as good as some apparently pre conceived notions. Which seems odd.

qrx wrote: »
    Looks boring. Great programming with the procedurally generated universe, I'm sure these guys will go on to do great things. But the game needs a storyline imo.

I am no reddit fanboy of this but i dont get the above storyline issue. You mean it needs a storyline that you are fed by the game and you are encouraged to head in the direction the game guides you in? It is an exploration game where there is 18 quintillion explorable planets and you have a spaceship. That should be enough of a storyline to anyone with an imagination. Exploration of the universe is the storyline.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Just at the tail end of the Video Gamer stream,
    they ran into a "space anomaly" that looked just like a small Death Star...
    ;) It was tied into a quest, but if there's *LOTS* of that sort of thing, it could be quite fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

I am no reddit fanboy of this but i dont get the above storyline issue. You mean it needs a storyline that you are fed by the game and you are encouraged to head in the direction the game guides you in? It is an exploration game where there is 18 quintillion explorable planets and you have a spaceship. That should be enough of a storyline to anyone with an imagination. Exploration of the universe is the storyline.

OK. Is that what they are saying on Reddit? This was my own opinion from watching the game stream. It's technically great, but I can't see myself aimlessly exploring 18 quintillion planets. I'm sure it's possible to come up with a story line and still have a procedurally generated universe?

I haven't been paying attention to this game at all, other than hearing the hype surrounding it which has been unavoidable for any gamer. I just kept thinking it's Elite. Yes I get that it's more detailed than Elite, but the whole aimlessly exploring 18 quintillion planets just doesn't appeal to me and now I've seen it in action my original impression hasn't changed. That's not to say others can't enjoy it. Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Mine downloaded yesterday just waiting on the day one patch now.

The patch was in the preload. Go to options and info and it will show the game is V1.03.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

That vid gives me chills just watching it. Trying to resist the urge to buy this on the Ps4 this evening instead of waiting for the PC version on friday.

This little indie game is giving us more of what either Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous with their bigger budgets and painfully loyal fans have given us in the last three years. All from a small 10 man team. Pepole can have there doubts. But honestly it looks like it will be amazing.

I think it tickles everybody who ever dreamt of exploring the stars and other worlds. An amazing achievement if it even lives up to a tenth of its hype and promise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Arciphel wrote: »
    Looking to pick this up today for PS4, seems like the best bet is to buy it as a digitial download on the PSN store? Won't probably be selling it or trading it in... is there any disadvantages to buying it as a download?

The only disadvantage is that it's not a physical copy and that may or may not be important to you.

I purchased digital copies of stuff like Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3 and The Witcher 3. It was handy at the time but now I'm absolutely gutted. I've a large digital library of quality games but I have no love for it the way I do my physical game collection, my books, my vinyls, etc.

If you don't give a crap then download it if it's handier, but if you have even the slightest feeling that you might regret it then my advice is to hold off for a physical copy.

qrx wrote: »
    OK. Is that what they are saying on Reddit? This was my own opinion from watching the game stream. It's technically great, but I can't see myself aimlessly exploring 18 quintillion planets. I'm sure it's possible to come up with a story line and still have a procedurally generated universe?

I haven't been paying attention to this game at all, other than hearing the hype surrounding it which has been unavoidable for any gamer. I just kept thinking it's Elite. Yes I get that it's more detailed than Elite, but the whole aimlessly exploring 18 quintillion planets just doesn't appeal to me and now I've seen it in action my original impression hasn't changed. That's not to say others can't enjoy it. Have fun.

No i mentioned reddit as there appears to be a real love-in there and has been for a while. I am no reddit contributor and i see the potential problems like anyone else with something of this size.

If you spent a second on each of the planets you would be playing for 5 billion years or something crazy like that.

I dont think you can watch people playing today and decide that all of the explorable universe will be the same all the way through. We simply dont know nor do the developers to an extent. The very definition of the exploration game i was waiting and hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I still have massive doubts, a slick trailer can make anything look exciting. The way i expect it to play out is the procedural universe is an elaborate facade for pretty basic grinding and trading. what is trading as a gameplay mechanic? I'll need to see some good streams before i'd spend a penny

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

No i mentioned reddit as there appears to be a real love-in there and has been for a while. I am no reddit contributor and i see the potential problems like anyone else with something of this size.

If you spent a second on each of the planets you would be playing for 5 billion years or something crazy like that.

I dont think you can watch people playing today and decide that all of the explorable universe will be the same all the way through. We simply dont know nor do the developers to an extent. The very definition of the exploration game i was waiting and hoping for.

I see what you are saying but if the planets are only superficially different... whats the point of exploring them? If they are all just variations of code for colour and plants, can there be any surprises really?

I've gone from super hype to massive trepidation in 24 hours.

Im going to buy a game todayl tomorrow but not sure whether this should be my choice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats delusional tbh, do you wander through a Minecraft World expecting something new and wonderful to pop in? 15 quintillion planets is completely meaningless, there will be a set list of attributes and each planet you get to the algorithm will roll the dice and you'll be presented with a mish-mash of those, you'll quickly see the underlying structure, if they've added enough material for 20 truly unique planets it will be a miracle, this is going to be an extremely repetitive game like every other proceduraly generated game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

There's nothing wrong with procedural generation so long as you actually have a gameplay idea to make use of it

Thargor wrote: »
    Thats delusional tbh, do you wander through a Minecraft World expecting something new and wonderful to pop in? 15 quintillion planets is completely meaningless, there will be a set list of attributes and each planet you get to the algorithm will roll the dice and you'll be presented with a mish-mash of those, you'll quickly see the underlying structure, if they've added enough material for 20 truly unique planets it will be a miracle, this is going to be an extremely repetitive game like every other proceduraly generated game.

I have watched streams and seen enough variety to keep my delusional little mind happy. You clearly know more. Cheers.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I see what you are saying but if the planets are only superficially different... whats the point of exploring them? If they are all just variations of code for colour and plants, can there be any surprises really?

I've gone from super hype to massive trepidation in 24 hours.

Im going to buy a game todayl tomorrow but not sure whether this should be my choice now.

Genuinely not under the impression that all the planets are the same and simply have different colours differentiating. Maybe you're right. I read through the various guides last week and saw enough said to make me think that will not be the case. I'm willing to risk €60 for potentially epic results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Make your own story. I won't rest until I find a Red, Yellow and Green planet I can call Carlow.

Advertisement