Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It's amazing the hate this is getting due to a lack of multiplayer. Kinda telling how gaming has changed over the last decade.

Single player campaigns getting left in the lurch for more expansive MP action.

I like the social aspect of gaming for sure and I like playing online with/against people but for a game like NMS, why does there need to be a multiplayer aspect to it?

I'm happy to never see a single soul while I'm exploring this universe. It's my adventure. I want to explore at my own pace without fear of some douche obliterating me at will. I get enough of that in Destiny/Battlefield etc.

People are getting worked up about this game and are judging it based on very early footage from the beginning of the game.

I'm only early on myself and I like the pacing. I don't need it to rush me. Plenty of other experiences out there that can fulfill that need.

I really can't remember any other game getting this much shít so early on into its life cycle.

It could very well be a case of saying, "hey, great idea guys but it's not quite hitting the sweet spot but well done on the ambition."

I honestly think it'll take about a month until I can properly assess my own experience but right now I'm enjoying what it has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Compared to GS prices, EVERYWHERE ELSE has it at sale prices.

The RRP is 59.99....

How Smyth's cost 64.99, Argos 69, and GS with a whopping 74.99 is unbelievable...

Anyone any idea of tesco price?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

EvE and Elite already exist for those looking for multi-player. I'd rather not have to worry about being griefed and shot on sight every five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

That_Guy wrote: »
    I really can't remember any other game getting this much shít so early on into its life cycle.

Destiny. Still receiving it too.
    Fieldog wrote: »
    The RRP is 59.99....

How Smyth's cost 64.99, Argos 69, and GS with a whopping 74.99 is unbelievable...

Anyone any idea of tesco price?

I posted a pic on the PS Destiny chat of GS pricing Battleborn at a reduced price of 65 quid, available for 12 quid everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

EvE and Elite already exist for those looking for multi-player. I'd rather not have to worry about being griefed and shot on sight every five minutes.

Played EvE for many many years, i loved the game. What killed it for me was that it became to popular killing the small scale fights.

It would be absolutely daunting now trying to get back into the game, i left just as Titans were being introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

That_Guy wrote: »
    It could very well be a case of saying, "hey, great idea guys but it's not quite hitting the sweet spot but well done on the ambition."

No way will I be buying this game (much less pre-order it. hiss-boo!) for a long while and the until the dust has settled, but I've been pouring through this thread and the above quote kind of sums up my feelings on it.

I am ambivalent but Touche to them for trying something ambitious.
    I'm neither apple-cheeked-fanboy nor foaming-at-the-mouth-hater.

I don't get the personal obsession people have for seeing a game fail or succeed like this.
    Seen all that rubbish in the Division thread and it's f**king cringe (and I say that as a big Destiny fan/player/no-lifer).

People (Schadenfreudes) getting their jollies out of a game being a failure would want to take stock of themselves.
    Likewise, people who look at stuff and can "see no wrong" need to grow up and be a bit more objective.

All in all, the whole "I'm in this thread and I hope it's doomed" and the "I don't care what critics say or how long or good the game is, EVERYONE needs to buy this cause I liked it" in this thread is taking away from a very impressive project

Banter is fine (I mean I am always one to s**t on Bioshock Infinite and rant and rave about RAGE being the 2nd coming of Christ) but this game has long since surpassed that kind of hyperbolic banter (in fact, usually that kind of discussion happens 2 weeks after release).

I've just identified it as a game that is "not for me" for now, (likewise for Minecraft, I like to have a purpose in single player games and for me that is generally a "traditional" story mode campaign)

It's a video game, if it makes people happy, who the hell cares and what's it to you?
    At least it's not a remaster of a 4 year old game.

All in all, I salute the studio of 10 people doing their thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Its great fun, but very buggy. I've crashed four times now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

First Impressions: I've no idea what's going on :)

The scale of the game has my mind bending. I've no idea if I'm rushing through this or not.

I'm looking for an Atlas or something so have no idea if this is still the tutorial section.

Looks amazing :)

The game crashed once for me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

So, I was at my friend's house last night and he informed me when I arrived that he'd taken the plunge and the game was downloading as we spoke. Well, after midnight, we pressed Start and I have to be honest, they did a good job.

The Good:
    This is, I think, one of the finest examples of "built in tutorial" I've ever seen. It doesn't hand hold nor force you into anything, but it does make your next move clear and it makes sure you're not moving on without knowing what's going on (unless you're one of those idiots who doesn't read what they're being told when the game is clearly in "you need to learn this" mode). Absolute top marks to Hello Games for getting this right - it was this area of the game where I felt Elite:Dangerous was hopeless and it completely turned me off the game.

Looked at 4 planets and 2 space stations in our time with the game. The procedural generation is fine, no great mystery as to how it's all going to work really having seen the components that are being chosen and mashed into existence from pre-approved parts. This is no bad thing, it works well enough and that's all I have to say about that.

The Bad:
    The inventory management is horsesht. It needs a rethink I feel because whilst I appreciate they want to engender a "seat of your pants survival" element to the game, all they've done is make an extremely frustrating game of "swap things in and out of my suit or ship and pray I've brought the right stuff to offload when I meet a trader." It just doesn't work properly for me at all.

The Ugly:
    The FOV of 50 is fking unforgivable. I have been playing FOV 110 in my games since 1999, even 90 seems too pedestrian. Between this and the absolutely gods-awful pop-in, this generation of console hardware continues to show how hopelessly outclassed it is. I hope the PC will have grown up modes with a user-selectable FOV amongst other things (HOTAS and VR support would be fantastic).

It's a good game. The most frustrating thing for me was my friend reacting like a kid meeting Santa for the first time in a shop. No matter how many times I explained to him that nothing I was seeing was in any way shape or form "new" to me, the cries of "aw Dav, look at this?!" kept coming and whilst that was really tiring, I was really pleased that my friend was able to get such a reaction from what is essentially old hat for me.

TL;DR: It's a good game, but it's not a great game. I suspect there'll be a big drop off in active players in 3-6 weeks.

I haven't played this BUT ITS TERRIBLE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Played a bit at a friends house and the FoV is pure havoc on my brain. Think I maxed out after 25 minutes. Looks like it's up to someone else to find Planet Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I've never quite understood what the hell is meant by FoV.

I'm off to wiki to inform myself! BRB, put the kettle on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I've never quite understood what the hell is meant by FoV.

I'm off to wiki to inform myself! BRB, put the kettle on :D

Field of View, basically how much area you're seeing in front of you. The higher the number the greater view you'll have.
    15312cc7.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Those of us with 3 monitors will be looking to take FULL advantage of that additional FOV and full widescreen support that they've said is coming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Field of View, basically how much area you're seeing in front of you. The higher the number the greater view you'll have.
    15312cc7.gif

Nice one Duggy!

Yeah, I used to refer to it as like a tunnel vision or like being too close to objects.

It's defiinitely got a FoV slider for the PC version anyway, so that's good news :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Ended up picking this up in gamestop had to go up to the one in blackpool as was sold out in Patrick's St cork.

Traded in 2 games and got it for 10 euros was able to get rid of odd games for it. Ass Creed the last one and borderlands. Both are Xbox one games.

Can't wait to give it a go once home as one of the lads in work got it and is enjoying it so far. I won't a but of game where the brain does not need to work after work ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

The developers have said that its going to be rare for 2 players to meet, but at the same time they are encouraging players to reach the center of the galaxy, so eventually shouldn't there be a load of people in the same area?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

The developers have said that its going to be rare for 2 players to meet, but at the same time they are encouraging players to reach the center of the galaxy, so eventually shouldn't there be a load of people in the same area?

not if the area exists seperately on everyones console/pc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Seeing as 2 people have already managed to meet up it looks like you may be right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Ponster wrote: »
    Seeing as 2 people have already managed to meet up it looks like you may be right.

they didn't meet though, they were in the same place at the same time, and couldn't see any sign of each other.

unless there is another case than the one everyone is talking about

• Advertisement

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    The scale of the game has my mind bending. I've no idea if I'm rushing through this or not.

I'm the same. Probably about 9 hours in now. Feel i may be rushing it but no idea!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shiminay wrote: »
    nothing I was seeing was in any way shape or form "new" to me

I remember Starglider 2 on the Amiga that did the whole space combat where you could enter and exit the atmosphere of a planet without loading times and visit different planets way back in 1988. Made by the same people that developed Starfox. Didn't quite have the scale as Elite or No Man's Sky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Just had my first crash but im really enjoying this game... im a little tired now ive been up since 6 playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I had a load of valuable stuff in my cargo hold. The game knows this so it spawned pirates on me. They shot me down. Respawned and all the stuff in my cargo hold is gone and some of my ships parts are damaged. :P

I lost a load of stuff but that element of danger is a good thing I suppose.

Just had my first crash but im really enjoying this game... im a little tired now ive been up since 6 playing.

I played till like 6 in the morning and then from 11 - 2. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Christ. Very big isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Didn't realise there'd be just so much Minecraft in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The inventory system in this game needs an overhaul. It's messy as fúck. Would like to see them tidy that up. Sub categories for various materials and have it spaced out a bit more.

I haven't had too much issue with the FOV just yet. I'd say I spent a good 3 hours on the initial planet before diving into space.

It's overwhelming how big it is. I strayed away from the Atlas path for the time being but I found myself getting in a tizzy as to where I should go next etc etc.

I am enjoying it. Haven't crashed since my earlier incident thankfully but I'll be giving it a rest for today. I feel wrecked from discovering things and all I've been doing is sitting on the couch eating biscuits and drinking tea..... :pac:

If someone discovers 'Planet Gobshíte' let us know.

Yes, I am 28... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

18 quintillion planets and yet they still can't find the one Bill Bailey comes from.

Advertisement