Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Stuck my copy up on adverts. Unfortunate, but I've done two 1 hour sessions now, and its literally made me vomit and feel dizzy and bad behind the eyes, so I'm gonna have to pass on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Out of curiousity, who isn't planning on actually going to the centre (PC player here)?

I personally plan on just roaming around. Is that viable?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I've played it all day today and its quite simply a massive collectathon. It feels like Donkey Kong 64 in space. Anybody who played that will instantly know what I mean.

Expanding your suit and learning the languages are quite satisfying it has to be said.....but I'm still hoping the atlas side of things holds more unique experiences. Going into an Atlas station for the first time was pretty cool.

I'm hoping to see more of that as I play because the game play loop of warp to system, collect resources, build warp cell, warp to system, etc. is already getting stale and this is day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It is a bit samey. The planets are very samey in terms of its plants, roaming animals and 5/6 structures. Maybe 1 of 3 species with which to have limited dialogue with.

Its a pretty cool game and it does somethings well but im starting to think I may not get massive value for money here really.

Still, probably a landmark game in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I also think they made a mistake lying about the multiplayer. Saying that there is multiplayer but the galaxy is so big you wont be able to find each other is just stupid. That's laying down the challenge and of course, two people met up on day 1 and couldn't see each other.....obviously. Because the game works in offline mode. If this type of experience was actually multiplayer, it would need always on connectivity.

If they had been straight with people from the start, I don't think anybody would have minded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

J Mysterio wrote: »
    It is a bit samey. The planets are very samey in terms of its plants, roaming animals and 5/6 structures. Maybe 1 of 3 species with which to have limited dialogue with.

Its a pretty cool game and it does somethings well but im starting to think I may not get massive value for money here really.

Still, probably a landmark game in many ways.

be careful

Jim sterling gave it an average review saying mostly the same and his website came under heavy attack

cached version of the review can be roughly read here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.thejimquisition.com/no-mans-sky-review/

Unfair or not is up to you but it's pretty sh*tty that some people get so put out by this that they take his website down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It actually defies belief what type of human is that far removed from reality that they need to defend a video game to that length.

Thats a pretty apt review to be honest.
    I'm having spend regret.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kirby wrote: »
    I've played it all day today and its quite simply a massive collectathon. It feels like Donkey Kong 64 in space. Anybody who played that will instantly know what I mean.

Well that doesn't sound good, DK64 was everything wrong with the collects thin genre and a really poor game because of it :/
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    be careful

Jim sterling gave it an average review saying mostly the same and his website came under heavy attack

cached version of the review can be roughly read here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.thejimquisition.com/no-mans-sky-review/

Unfair or not is up to you but it's pretty sh*tty that some people get so put out by this that they take his website down.

Wow, that's some real immaturity right there from the dopes taking it down. It's crazy seeing that kind of tribalism from videogame players, convincing themselves that a game is amazing before release then going over the top at any criticism levelled against it, constructive or otherwise. Even some so called professional journalists were guilty of it with Fallout 4.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Even some so called professional journalists were guilty of it with Fallout 4.

That was a big dissapointment too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I skipped fallout 4

honestly I skipped all the bethesda fallout/oblivion games until 2-3 years after release just so I know it's patched up and working at fullest.

I'm still sore over losing a thief I spent days on during college due to a bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

As far as video game reviews go, I think that's pretty spot on. I wouldn't agree with everything he says but his criticisms are all fair.

One fair point he makes is about the static NPCs. I know there was only a small team working on the game, but why couldn't they have scripted some movement for them? Even if they were walking around trading posts, or stepping in and out of other spaceships. That would add a bit of life to them.

I'd love to see a sizeable space station with even a bit of life in it. What sci-fi doesn't have a giant space station packed to the brim with traders? I mean, where are all of NMS's cargo ships going?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Pretty accurate alright, I've mostly enjoyed my efforts so but I can definitely see the lack of focused interaction as an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't know if it works like this, but if anyone finds themselves in the Huladackwoh region, find the Romedankwervl system, and the planet Meshwarr Gohofl, there's a serious amount of Plutonium under the surface, and loads of gold on the surface. Reason being, the galactic space station trading terminal has a +101.6% buying price on Plutonium. I just made 1 million in about half an hour. Probably not the quickest way to make money, but it is for me right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

It actually defies belief what type of human is that far removed from reality that they need to defend a video game to that length.

Internet fans of stuff are scary.

I'm on another games forum and I posted my initial thoughts on the Witcher 3 a while back and got attacked by pretty much everyone on the site to the point where people trawled through my post history to bring things up.

I had the cheek to suggest that the game was merely only good and that I was actually struggling to play it because it had a lot of generic open world box ticking going on and it might not be the most amazing thing ever.

The same with the TV show Stranger Things. I loved the series but the assholes on this site who claimed to like it nit picked every scene and did the whole "what they really meant here was......" routine whilst trying to write fanfic about the second season like their opinions or ideas will matter.

I pointed out that it's a TV show that is a done thing, it exists already. Enjoy it for what it is. Nope, I was an idiot for not coming up with a bunch of half-baked theories about the show and a wishlist for the next season.

Internet fans of things are just ****ing weird.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Modern pop-culture fandom is terrifying at times. You see it all the time with superhero fans, when it goes beyond passion to outright zealotry. At best, it's delusional, and at worst it's actively hostile towards any attempt at reasonable discussion. And so often over material that hasn't even been released :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I think it's a good game very relaxing to play after a day in work. For someone who works with code and sees some crazy complex set ups day to do. I see the magic of what 10 people have made here. To me it has lived up to the hype and very rarely a game has done that for me in the last few years.

Like last night I went into a cave ans I started to get attacked by everything in it like brings me to wondering places in real life when I was younger. You just don't know what your ever going to find in the game like?.

Another game speaking of watch I get attacked over is bloodborn and Skyram I think both are crap and I played both for maybe 10 hours each and I was not enjoying them. I have more fun playing Saints row then Bloodborne

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Kirby wrote: »
    I also think they made a mistake lying about the multiplayer. Saying that there is multiplayer but the galaxy is so big you wont be able to find each other is just stupid. That's laying down the challenge and of course, two people met up on day 1 and couldn't see each other.....obviously. Because the game works in offline mode. If this type of experience was actually multiplayer, it would need always on connectivity.

If they had been straight with people from the start, I don't think anybody would have minded.

I honestly don't think they lied i just think the messaging was bad.

The information coming out about the first contact the other day is the servers are getting hit hard so it didnt work correctly. Also one of the players wasn't even connected to PSN for certain parts of that attempted meet up. Eventually they were able to see each others weapons apparently so thats something and hopefully it will improve and get better as the days go on.

We also have to remember this is a team of 15 people who are handling everything, not just the dev of the game, but the pr, interviews, all of it so a bit of leeway needs to be given in whats expected from a communication standpoint and considering the small team what they have actually created

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Modern pop-culture fandom is terrifying at times. You see it all the time with superhero fans, when it goes beyond passion to outright zealotry. At best, it's delusional, and at worst it's actively hostile towards any attempt at reasonable discussion. And so often over material that hasn't even been released :/

At least with superheroes the fan in question may have had a long-standing relationship with the source material and a personal attachment to the character. I'm not excusing that type of behaviour but we can see how it comes about.

No Man's Sky had hardcore fans long before the game was released, before they even knew what the game was about. Their sense of loyalty and dedication toward an unreleased, unfinished and very ambiguous game was inexplicable and it's only getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

VinLieger wrote: »
    I honestly don't think they lied i just think the messaging was bad.
    ....considering the small team what they have actually created

I get where you're coming from, but they don't need a PR guru to know that they should just fess up and explain what's happening. All Hello Games have to do is to fire out one tweet to explain the situation.

Speaking of MP, has anyone found another planet that was discovered before you got there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Notorious wrote: »
    All Hello Games have to do is to fire out one tweet to explain the situation.

I agree.

Either there's multiplayer or there isn't.

If there is explain how it works. And if it's not working yet explain how they hope it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I don't know and I ain't a coder so might be talking through my hoop here but surely two people in the same system and not being able to see each other is just a matter of instancing as with a lot of MP games? The universe is hardly designed around one giant instance because if so, that would just cause all sorts of problems..
    Especially the closer to the center you get. The chances of people meeting would greatly increase. Now imagine one giant instance where suddenly for the sake of it, 10k people end up in the same system. What's gonna happen to them servers? Servers go boom is what.

Is there a party option at all? If not, it would be sweet if they added one for people who do want to attempt to fly together. It would allow them to be placed in the same instance.

Personally I don't give a toot about that. I dun got no friends so I'll just fly about like a lonely pirate pew pewing anything I see while throwing lumps of metal out my cockpit window. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I'm almost sure the way it works was explained in some IGN (?) video months and months ago. But I'm only saying that because I watched very little about the game, and I've never been confused about the level of multiplayer that would be in it. Not sure why some people expected something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

VinLieger wrote: »
    We also have to remember this is a team of 15 people who are handling everything, not just the dev of the game, but the pr, interviews, all of it so a bit of leeway needs to be given in whats expected from a communication standpoint and considering the small team what they have actually created

but...but...but they're charging the same price as a team that wrote GTAV or COD.

Joking aside...

I played this last night for about three hours
    made the jump once, and about to make my second but decided to explore a little and found a planet with a lot of gold

A couple of non-spoilery thoughts:

1. If you have the Sony 7.1 wireless headset there's a profile for NMS (don't know if that was answered on this thread but know someone asked).
    2. The size of the game on disk is tiny, day 1 patch is 300mb, absolutely a breath of fresh air I wasn't waiting hours for this to install and download, popped it in before dinner, had steak and when I was back it was ready to go.
    3. The art style of this game is jaw dropping, screenshots don't really do it justice when you see it moving it's really something.
    4. Game crashed on me just as I was about to repair the first technology but when it rebooted no progress was lost.
    5. The pop-in is noticeable but it's not an issue like I thought it would be, whatever way it fades in, it's done just right to make it not an issue for me.
    6. The inventory system does need an overhaul, there's some interactions that just take longer than they should, i.e. confirming circles.
    7. Not sure if this is really happening but I left the play session with a niggly headache. Hoping this isn't usual as I never get headaches/motion sickness playing games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

1. If you have the Sony 7.1 wireless headset there's a profile for NMS (don't know if that was answered on this thread but know someone asked).
    2. The size of the game on disk is tiny, day 1 patch is 300mb, absolutely a breath of fresh air I wasn't waiting hours for this to install and download, popped it in before dinner, had steak and when I was back it was ready to go.
    3. The art style of this game is jaw dropping, screenshots don't really do it justice when you see it moving it's really something.
    4. Game crashed on me just as I was about to repair the first technology but when it rebooted no progress was lost.
    5. The pop-in is noticeable but it's not an issue like I thought it would be, whatever way it fades in, it's done just right to make it not an issue for me.
    6. The inventory system does need an overhaul, there's some interactions that just take longer than they should, i.e. confirming circles.
    7. Not sure if this is really happening but I left the play session with a niggly headache. Hoping this isn't usual as I never get headaches/motion sickness playing games

1 Question on your non-spoilery thoughts.

What did you have with your steak?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

1 Question on your non-spoilery thoughts.

What did you have with your steak?? :pac:
    steak done rare, cheese mash with spring onions and crispy onion strings :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

but...but...but they're charging the same price as a team that wrote GTAV or COD.

Joking aside...

I played this last night for about three hours
    made the jump once, and about to make my second but decided to explore a little and found a planet with a lot of gold

No I also had that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pickpocket wrote: »
    No Man's Sky had hardcore fans long before the game was released, before they even knew what the game was about. Their sense of loyalty and dedication toward an unreleased, unfinished and very ambiguous game was inexplicable and it's only getting worse.

Sony are the main culprits here. They've done a fantastic job of drumming up that loyalty, they really needed a game to disguise the fact they've a huge void of exclusives and No Man's sky has been their poster child for that. Can't really fault their marketing. I remember the buzz for the game was fairly tame until Sony announced it would be a PS4 game when it went it stupid levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

steak done rare, cheese mash with spring onions and crispy onion strings :pac:

Ah should be medium at least, other than that .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Ah should be medium at least, other than that .....

WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!! :D

I have never spent proper money on a new game, only an occasional PC gamer, so maybe 30 on Civ Beyond Earth.

But I've pre ordered this one. I cannot spend the time on a game to do Multiplayer, and not putting in enough hours to get god at them anyway.
    So it's solo-player games for me where I can move at my own pace.

This looks right up my street. I can drop in for an hour here and there, learn as I go, it will keep me entertained for a year! :)

Advertisement