Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

When you upgrade a tool what do you do with the upgrade icons? Can you delete them or do they have to be there in the menu slot to work?

They take up a space in your inventory, limiting the space for other technology or resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

fixxxer wrote: »

Do all starting planets have the Sentinels? They make harvesting resources a bit of a pain.

As far as i know all planets have them but some are more aggressive than others. When you land on a planet it should tell you what they are like, passive, severe or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    As far as i know all planets have them but some are more aggressive than others. When you land on a planet it should tell you what they are like, passive, severe or something like that

Ah I see. I was a bit eager to get started last night so didn't read all of the words on screen. I initially chose not to follow atlas but the speech it gave me after was unnerving enough that I reloaded the game :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Why do I get the feeling that if the game was originally €40 you'd be looking to pay about €25.

I've absolutely no idea. Why do I get the feeling you're in the habit of jumping to inaccurate conclusions about random strangers based on a complete lack of information? :rolleyes:

Back on topic, been a while since I've pre-ordered something on Steam.
    If I do take a chance and pre-order this, does it pre-download locked, leaving you to just download the initial patch at release time?
    Or do you need to wait and download the whole game once it's released?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

My main complaint so far is that the puzzles are easy and lack variation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

MOH wrote: »
    I've absolutely no idea. Why do I get the feeling you're in the habit of jumping to inaccurate conclusions about random strangers based on a complete lack of information? :rolleyes:

Back on topic, been a while since I've pre-ordered something on Steam.
    If I do take a chance and pre-order this, does it pre-download locked, leaving you to just download the initial patch at release time?
    Or do you need to wait and download the whole game once it's released?

Have mine pre-ordered on Steam. Hasn't started downloading yet so I presume not. Unless it starts tonight. The release time is around 6 o'clock tomorrow evening I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Sure at 6GB it's not worth preloading it. It'll take longer to decrypt it than it would to download it at the time of release. (with half decent broadband...)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can confirm that the ships handle differently. I didn't fly the initial ship, as I had the pre-order ship, but I've changed from that now and the new one is smaller, but can carry more (?), it zooms when firing, and turns slightly better. It also seems faster. I believe I went from a fighter to an explorer.

mickstupp wrote: »
    My main complaint so far is that the puzzles are easy and lack variation.

Everything lacks variation. Your are kinda promised 'different worlds' but everything is more or less the same. Were the real universe so bland it would be pretty dissapointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

At the speeds that I usually get from steam, the 6GB file will take about 8.5 mins to download!

I'm honestly happy enough with that, if a pre-load doesn't appear tonight :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Hey robot lady... 75% is not "low".

I made a million there today on Emril so I'm gonna sit in the space station and eye myself up a new ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

not sure if its been asked, when you are in your ship flying around the surface of the planet, is there a way to stop it from moving without landing? L2 just makes it go slower

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Quandary

Has anyone managed to find a new ship and repair it as opposed to buying one?

Quandary wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to find a new ship and repair it as opposed to buying one?

I found one but left it as I had the preorder ship and it wasnt heaps better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Quandary

I've been searching for wrecked ships but haven't found any. I've been to 4 planets now so maybe there just weren't any ships there. Followed all the transmissions I could get but no joy so far!

I'll probably just bit the bullet and grind the cash to get a nice one.

The one I found wasnt related to a transmission, it was just one of those (?) markers

I just launched the game, went to make a cup of tea, and when I got back it had crashed. :pac:

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I just launched the game, went to make a cup of tea, and when I got back it had crashed. :pac:

Maybe you only get crashed ships when someone's game crashes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

finding inventory upgrades is a pain in the ass. if this game had a better inventory it would be a perfect game for me.

Have mine pre-ordered on Steam. Hasn't started downloading yet so I presume not. Unless it starts tonight. The release time is around 6 o'clock tomorrow evening I think.
    Cheers for that.
    d31b0y wrote: »
    Sure at 6GB it's not worth preloading it. It'll take longer to decrypt it than it would to download it at the time of release. (with half decent broadband...)

Ah, hadn't realised it was small, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Possible self inflicted bug being reported in relation to the Pre-Order ship.
    redeeming the pre-order ship means players skip the tutorial that gives them the blueprint for how to build a hyperdrive. The snag hits a few hours later, if they trade their spacecraft for a more powerful model that doesn't have a hyperdrive. By starting the game with the pre-order ship, "the player ends up starting the game without the ability to build the essential item that allows you to get around and progress in the game,"

Link (IGN - Sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Possible self inflicted bug being reported in relation to the Pre-Order ship.

Link (IGN - Sorry)

Yup people should only redeem after the tutorial

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Do I want to get a preorder in before I lose the special ship? I kind of don't want it because it just seems a little like skipping some of the early gameplay? Or is it a good idea to use it to skip some of the early grinding?

Zillah wrote: »
    Do I want to get a preorder in before I lose the special ship? I kind of don't want it because it just seems a little like skipping some of the early gameplay? Or is it a good idea to use it to skip some of the early grinding?

All it gets you is maybe 1-2 extra ship inventory slots and looks nicer than the standard starter ship there's nothing that special about afaik so it doesnt skip too much grinding in the long run

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The game crashed on initially loading.
    Since then it has crashed three times.
    That's out of about 5 hours of play.
    Not good enough.
    Plus, there just isn't the gameplay present to make this worthwhile.
    The buying public, or specifically me, were completely mislead about the basic nature of the game, not exploration but resource management and moving stuff around an all too small inventory

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The game crashed on initially loading.
    Since then it has crashed three times.
    That's out of about 5 hours of play.
    Not good enough.
    Plus, there just isn't the gameplay present to make this worthwhile.
    The buying public, or specifically me, were completely mislead about the basic nature of the game, not exploration but resource management and moving stuff around an all too small inventory

Interesting article about how the hype got out of control:
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/08/how-sky-high-hype-formed-a-storm-cloud-over-no-mans-skys-release/

[edit]
    Should have clarified, I meant how the hype got out of control despite the devs trying to downplay it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

It's been said before, and will be again. The Hype for this game was generated by the public.

In every interview I've read/seen Mr. Murray was at pains to downplay the hype being generated about it. Anyone who has bought this game on the premise of gamer public hype which they got caught up in, and are now feeling cheated out of their money because the game doesn't live up to their hype imagined fantasy of what the game would be, well, they've no one to blame but themselves.

MOH wrote: »

They maybe didnt do the best at controlling the hype but I also think gamers are to blame for jumping on the hype train so much and not actually being skeptical enough to wait and see what it was like instead of just pre-ordering it.

IMO anyone who pre-ordered and is now regretting it cus its not what they thought has only themselves to blame

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The Hype machine has turned on its creators :D The Marketing types just can't cope with a message they don't have 100% control over and why Hello didn't hire someone to help them (or more specifically, why Sony didn't insist they let one of their people take it over to try and reign some of it in) is beyond me, they were massively out of their depth with the size and scale of audience they were reaching with anything "media" they did and all they knew is that if they actually described the mechanical reality of what the game is (frustrating inventory management and really vast exploration of slightly different planets), they knew no one would want to play it cause they wouldn't understand it and/or think "is that it?" - they'd have been right :P

If some clever sausage mods in a better inventory system for the PC, I'll definitely be picking it up. As it stands, I'm very much in the "wait for a Steam Sale" category for this game.

• Advertisement

I'm kinda surprised Sony didn't step in at some point and provide resources or support when this was being developed.

Now, I'm only a few hours in to it and I'm enjoying it so far, but I wonder what could have been. Sony clearly saw this as a PS4 exclusive system seller, so why not go the whole hog and push everything behind it?

Advertisement