Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The game crashed on initially loading.
    Since then it has crashed three times.
    That's out of about 5 hours of play.
    Not good enough.
    Plus, there just isn't the gameplay present to make this worthwhile.
    The buying public, or specifically me, were completely mislead about the basic nature of the game, not exploration but resource management and moving stuff around an all too small inventory

They confirmed a patch 3 days ago to address the limited inventory capacity, along with a ton of other improvements. This game, more than most, will need them to react to user feedback so they can get the most of our of a very deep game.

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's been said before, and will be again. The Hype for this game was generated by the public.

In every interview I've read/seen Mr. Murray was at pains to downplay the hype being generated about it. Anyone who has bought this game on the premise of gamer public hype which they got caught up in, and are now feeling cheated out of their money because the game doesn't live up to their hype imagined fantasy of what the game would be, well, they've no one to blame but themselves.

No, sorry but no.
    The actual gameplay of this game was carefully misrepresented.
    We saw soaring space craft, epic battles, discovering alien races and new species.
    Instead, much more time is spent on what appear to be the central mechanics of the game, shooting a rock and collecting material and then crafting with it.

"Mr Murray" as you call him was hardly the shrinking violet, on stage, TV and YouTube channel, showing off demonstrations of the game completely lacking in any evidence of what has turned out to be the actual game.

If we bought into a premise it is because that's what we were sold.

I think the people waiting for it on the cheap shouldn't have long to wait.

Unless this get patched to decency it could be a flop on the scale of Driver 3 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

We saw soaring space craft, epic battles, discovering alien races and new species.

All of that is in the game just not in the way you imagined it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

VinLieger wrote: »
    They maybe didnt do the best at controlling the hype but I also think gamers are to blame for jumping on the hype train so much and not actually being skeptical enough to wait and see what it was like instead of just pre-ordering it.

IMO anyone who pre-ordered and is now regretting it cus its not what they thought has only themselves to blame

It's important to remember that these lads are software engineers, not PR heads. You or I probably wouldn't have any clue how to control the hype either and you'd be afraid of trying too hard to temper it either in case you inadvertently swung the pendulum the other way and killed all interest in it. It just goes to show how off the wall the public perception can be.

I find it hilarious that people keep pre-ordering games that aren't on the market yet and then looking to blame someone else when it doesn't turn out to be everything they imagined it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

About 5 warps in and the game is feeling a bit rinse/repeat.

Everything looks great, but I'm just going from system to system collecting materials to craft. Nothing wrong with that for a while, but I'm hoping something else happens and it's not just this sequence repeated until I reach the centre of the universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

No, sorry but no.
    The actual gameplay of this game was carefully misrepresented.
    Instead, much more time is spent on what appear to be the central mechanics of the game, shooting a rock and collecting material and then crafting with it.

"Mr Murray" as you call him was hardly the shrinking violet, on stage, TV and YouTube channel, showing off demonstrations of the game completely lacking in any evidence of what has turned out to be the actual game.

If we bought into a premise it is because that's what we were sold.

I think the people waiting for it on the cheap shouldn't have long to wait.

Unless this get patched to decency it could be a flop on the scale of Driver 3 again.

From the few streams I've seen of the game so far, this stuff actually happens.

Also, don't forget, currently anyone playing the game is realistically still at the outer edges of the Universe. The further along we go, the game could change.

Bashing a game like this, based on early footage, is a bit silly. If your waiting to get it on the cheap, why not wait to bash it then? If it goes bargain bin in couple months, then the bashing might be justified.

Mr. Murray did not set out to promote this game a-lá Peter Molyneux's Black & White or Will Wright's Spore.

I find it hilarious that people keep pre-ordering games that aren't on the market yet and then looking to blame someone else when it doesn't turn out to be everything they imagined it would.

I'v got it pre-ordered on steam. Ive been looking forward to this since I first seen it. I'm under no illusions as to what the game appears to be, Minecraft in space without the building. Will the game be a commercial and critical success? Who knows. Anything being said one way or the other is just conjecture at this point. Give it a few months. When more and more people start getting to The Centre, when the whole mystery is revealed, if people are still playing the discovery side of it after this, then we can judge it's longevity.

For a small Indie studio to take this sort of "Leap of Faith" in their idea, then fair play to them. If nothing comes from this endeavor other than the procedural equation tech behind it, which gets used in some big AAA title, then I'd say Hello Games will have had big impact on the industry. Again, until any of this actually comes to pass, it's all just opinion and conjecture.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's worth noting: Hello Games would have almost certainly been contractually obliged to do all the press stuff they did and for them that meant sending out Seán Murray to be charming and Irish and winning the hearts and minds of games industry media darlings everywhere ;)

I don't think Murray has deliberately mislead people, but I think he's been too busy talking about big picture stuff and never told us (nor did the trailers) that this is a crafting/survival game in Space. Everyone was expecting Star Citizen on the PlayStation I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

From the few streams I've seen of the game so far, this stuff actually happens.

Also, don't forget, currently anyone playing the game is realistically still at the outer edges of the Universe. The further along we go, the game could change.

Bashing a game like this, based on early footage, is a bit silly. If your waiting to get it on the cheap, why not wait to bash it then? If it goes bargain bin in couple months, then the bashing might be justified.

Mr. Murray did not set out to promote this game a-lá Peter Molyneux's Black & White or Will Wright's Spore.

I bought it yesterday morning, having preordered it :(
    And, I freely admit that this is an early opinion of mine and there may be more too it later on.
    It might be the case that this is some sort of tutorial for later, but I don't think it'll be the case.
    I have Elite Dangerous.
    It's a big, tough game, tough as in tons to take in and learn before you can get much from it, but there is enough there for the player to take on an identity and pursue a virtual career as a bounty hunter, smuggler or bad ass.
    This doesn't seem like it is going to allow any degree of real character building.
    Again, this is early days, there may be more to be revealed.
    I hope so.
    This is one of those games that was supposed to define the PS4, though it is coming to the PC as well.
    But I can't help but feel that Elite is a better game overall, while No Man's Sky so far feels more like a tech demo.

I bought it yesterday morning, having preordered it :(

All other points are moot, your buyer's remorse is your responsibility, not the game's.

Stop pre-ordering games. It's that simple.

So many of the games industry's problems would go away if people stopped pre-ordering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Again, this game is what you make it. I've spent the last 2 days more or less collecting, exploring, mining, upgrading, etc. I'm not powerful enough yet to help with distress signals, the last one I tried to help with was me against 10 pirates, needles to say I hightailed it out of there as soon as I ran out of materials to repair my shields, really need to find upgrades for it! But i'm getting there, I've managed to kill 4 pirates in one go, but it nearly killed me.

But, like others, I thought it was starting to get stale. Then I figured out about blasting into the grounds and finding treasure troves of materials. And I've used a couple of the anomalies to get back on the path of Atlas. Also, I've been investing a lot of time into learning the languages. I'm not too shabby with the Gex and Korvak, but still a bit of the way to go to get a minimum understanding of what the Vy'keen are saying. I'm nearly having full conversations with the Gek, and it's interesting, as the English is broken English as it would be when learning a language. This, to me, means that there is a lot to learn. Also, the story with the Atlas
    seems to be connected to all 4 races
    , and it's very interesting to see where each species comes from and what their plan is. So far, with the Gek,
    I've learned that they were initially an overlord race, taking over places, whereas now they're traders.
    As a side note, the more friendly with the different species, the more perks. Apparently, you can call on them to help in battles at some stage, if you're friendly enough with them. I even managed to pull rank on a dodgy Vy'keen who was trying to scam me!

People really were expecting a lot more than was verbally promised. I can't recall anyone at Sony or Hello Games stating that this would be more than what it is. It's not an action game. It's not Minecraft in Space (yet). It's an exploration game, and it does it extremely well in my opinion. Some people just will not like what this is. It'll be too relaxed for it. But I'm starting to notice that you can be any type of person you want to be in this. You can become an explorer, and avoid battles. You can become a pirate and try to take down all those massive freighters, netting money and resources. I think this is what Sean Murray wanted, people to make their own paths, their own lives in this space opera. I know I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Shiminay wrote: »
    All other points are moot, your buyer's remorse is your responsibility, not the game's.

So many of the games industry's problems would go away if people stopped pre-ordering.

Exactly until you have read reviews and seen people streaming it you can;t know what a game will actually be.

Im actually glad this was on PS4 first cus it gave me the chance to take a critical look at it. I was seriously on the fence but now after watching enough streams ill definitely buy it and probably a few hours before it releases on steam tomorrow. So "technically" ill be pre-ordering it but just hours before and not the stupid months and weeks in advance that people seem to be obssessed with doing

I'v got it pre-ordered on steam. Ive been looking forward to this since I first seen it. I'm under no illusions as to what the game appears to be, Minecraft in space without the building. Will the game be a commercial and critical success? Who knows. Anything being said one way or the other is just conjecture at this point. Give it a few months. When more and more people start getting to The Centre, when the whole mystery is revealed, if people are still playing the discovery side of it after this, then we can judge it's longevity.

For a small Indie studio to take this sort of "Leap of Faith" in their idea, then fair play to them. If nothing comes from this endeavor other than the procedural equation tech behind it, which gets used in some big AAA title, then I'd say Hello Games will have had big impact on the industry. Again, until any of this actually comes to pass, it's all just opinion and conjecture.

Just to be clear, I'm not slamming the game in any way and if it looks like something you're interested and you're realistic with your expectations, I hope you enjoy it. I will probably pick it up myself on the cheap after the dust settles because I think I'd get a few hours of enjoyment out of it, but that's about it for me personally.

I'm just saying I don't think Hello Games were misleading at all; I had a very clear picture of what this game was going to be all along and the streams I've watched post released have reflected it more or less exactly. With the exception that there's maybe a bit more resource gathering involved than I had anticipated. It's what they said it would be. It's been fascinating to watch so many people climb aboard the hype train en route to it's derailment.

Just to be clear, I'm not slamming the game in any way and if it looks like something you're interested and you're realistic with your expectations, I hope you enjoy it.

Ah I didn't think you where. It was more a general response, you just happened to mention pre-ordering, which is why I quoted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think if the Steam version comes with an FOV slider, and they do a better interface for PC, I think I'll be satisfied, based on what I've heard so far. I've kept my expectations tempered and I think the result is about what I was expecting. Some people have described the planets as looking identical save for the colour palette, and yet others have shown some cool screenshots - I suppose only time will tell how I feel.

I'm gonna get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'll buy it on PC, however not a launch prices. I'll wait until it drops considerably.

Zillah wrote: »
    I think if the Steam version comes with an FOV slider, and they do a better interface for PC, I think I'll be satisfied, based on what I've heard so far. I've kept my expectations tempered and I think the result is about what I was expecting. Some people have described the planets as looking identical save for the colour palette, and yet others have shown some cool screenshots - I suppose only time will tell how I feel.

I'm gonna get it.

PC Version has a FoV slider.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

VinLieger wrote: »
    Exactly until you have read reviews and seen people streaming it you can;t know what a game will actually be.

Im actually glad this was on PS4 first cus it gave me the chance to take a critical look at it. I was seriously on the fence but now after watching enough streams ill definitely buy it and probably a few hours before it releases on steam tomorrow. So "technically" ill be pre-ordering it but just hours before and not the stupid months and weeks in advance that people seem to be obssessed with doing

I'm the same boat as yourself.
    I pre-ordered it on steam last night after the game was already out on PS4 and having seem maybe 10+ hours of the gameplay through streaming since last Friday.

I never had much pre-conceptions on this game and the only reason I pre-orderd at all is for the slightly better ship :D

Ah I didn't think you where. It was more a general response, you just happened to mention pre-ordering, which is why I quoted it.

Well in fairness I am generally against pre-ordering. Like Shiminay above I think it's a problem for the games industry because it means developers and publishers are encouraged to focus on marketing games well above actually making good games.

I mean it makes a little more sense to pre-order it for PC now to get the bonus, given that you now know for sure what the game is like from the PS4 streams and reviews, but there's still the risk that it's an ill performing, bug-infested port.

Shiminay wrote: »

Well, yes.
    I am aware of this.
    I've been buying games since 1984 and have a rule not to buy until the reviews are out.
    Or had.
    Well, I have bought very few games at launch, outside of Nintendo titles, and this just means it'll be even fewer.

Buyer beware isn't really fair either, although I should have been wise enough at this stage to know that, no matter the trailer or gameplay demo, somethings can still be unsaid or under reported.

The game was marketed as one thing.
    It has turned out to be something else.
    It's happened countless times with games launching either with advertised features missing or, in this case, with the gameplay skewed away from what it was expected to be.

I'm still not saying that this might be a great game, but, as with Driveclub, it'll be up to Hello Games and Sony to meet expectations, expectations they encouraged and marketed around.

Sean Murray has been everywhere over the past two years, and certainly not shy about drumming up business for his team's title. Why wouldn't the spotlight shine upon him and his team when the game fails to meet expectations?

And as for not pre-ordering.
    I will return to my own policy of waiting for reviews, though I will probably break it again for The Last Guardian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Not impressed with the ship options, was kinda hoping for Elite style ships with a fair few that are different from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm mildly interested now wherever Hello Games wanted the RRP price tag and big boxed release, or if Sony pushed it onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I probably played 6 hours of this game over the past two days, I have to say I am really enjoying it. The FOV can get a bit messed up at times but nothing disastrous. Its the kind of game I sit down for an hour and get lost in the game. The first two planets I was on felt a bit repetitive but the third one I went to was completely different. It was completely barren but full of little out posts, pods and buildings and I found myself exploring this planet for hours. Every time I'd have the intention of flying somewhere I'd see loads of intriguing ? and i'd have to check it out. I can see how the game might start to feel repetitive over time but so far I'm enjoying it and the scenery at times is actually breath taking. There was one planet I was on and I couldn't stop looking at the views. If your into heavy gameplay and story line this might not be the game for you but I'm not much of a gamer, I was never really on the hype train so personally this game hasn't disappointed me.

Well in fairness I am generally against pre-ordering. Like Shiminay above I think it's a problem for the games industry because it means developers and publishers are encouraged to focus on marketing games well above actually making good games.

I mean it makes a little more sense to pre-order it for PC now to get the bonus, given that you now know for sure what the game is like from the PS4 streams and reviews, but there's still the risk that it's an ill performing, bug-infested port.

Im generally the same with pre-orders, and only pre-ordered this yesterday. The last game I "Proper" pre-ordered Diablo 3, and outside of the RMAH the game was pretty much as expected and has only improved since release. Before that? SWO:TOR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I've a number of hours to per order. (PC)

Honest answer, is it worth the price tag or wait for a drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I've a number of hours to per order. (PC)

Honest answer, is it worth the price tag or wait for a drop.

It really depends on you and what you want.

Wait for the PC specific reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I'm not a fan of pre-orders, only doing so for rare cases where I completely trust the developer (CD Projekt Red for example) and/or there is a very good bonus. I even held off on this one though I figured it would be a day-1 for me (PC at least) but went ahead and pre-ordered it from GOG yesterday after reading some reviews and opinions here and from the usual publishers.

One thing I really don't get though is the amount of people claiming they were lied to. Admittedly I did not follow every interview, post, tweet etc. but I've been keeping up with this game for about a year and it appears to have remained true to the impressions it gave (based on positive and negative comments on the main aspects). Having a trailer that shows a dogfight and discussing combat does not mean it's Elite-Dangerous or Star Citizen, the vast majority of coverage I've seen has been about exploration and basically game-tourism. Sure there are some tasks to do as you go but essentially to me at least it was all about exploring strange new worlds...yes I know, I just went Shatner, heard the fkrs voice in my head as I finished typing :) . I think perhaps a lot of folks allowed themselves to believe it was something else for so long that somehow the reality is a lie :confused: . Honestly don't see it. But I'll get my own taste of it tomorrow night I guess, where I'm prepared to spend a few hours a day on something relatively calm, zipping around the place listening to a great soundtrack. If the gameplay expands, great, if not I'm sure I'll get at least a decent 30 or so hours out of it.

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    One thing I really don't get though is the amount of people claiming they were lied to. Admittedly I did not follow every interview, post, tweet etc. but I've been keeping up with this game for about a year and it appears to have remained true to the impressions it gave (based on positive and negative comments on the main aspects). Having a trailer that shows a dogfight and discussing combat does not mean it's Elite-Dangerous or Star Citizen, the vast majority of coverage I've seen has been about exploration and basically game-tourism. Sure there are some tasks to do as you go but essentially to me at least it was all about exploring strange new worlds...yes I know, I just went Shatner, heard the fkrs voice in my head as I finished typing :) . I think perhaps a lot of folks allowed themselves to believe it was something else for so long that somehow the reality is a lie :confused: . Honestly don't see it.
    All of this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Saved up a million credits. Bought myself a big pink A-Wing. :D

The inventory badly needs stacking. I have 4 atlas stones and more are coming. I need to be able to stack them. I don't know what they were thinking not allowing stacking.

Having said that, I feel very comfortable now. I have all the schematics for hot, cold and toxic planets and I can breath underwater now so exploring is a lot easier. I have better weapons and better shields so I can defend myself from the pirates.

I've got an upgraded multitool for super fast mining. I've got the Atlas v1 pass so I can open doors. I know enough of the Gek and Korvax languages now to be able to tell what they want although the vykeen one will take some work. I have enough slots to mine and keep what I need, I can craft warp cells. Above all, I have an upgraded hyperdrive so I can skip a ton of systems if I want to.

I'm actually enjoying it more now that I can do stuff without struggling. The inventory needs work. And the gameplay loop is very samey. But scanning stuff and exploring the planets is fun in its own way. I wont be playing this a month from now that's for sure but I've got two days solid worth of play from it so its been worth the launch price for me.

Advertisement