Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I find it hilarious that there are people going "oh noeesss... no multiplayer" like that's a bad thing. Frankly, its a plus in my book. No ganking idiots or lagging teleporting elastic banding numpties to deal with. I mean when was the last time you joined in a server and thought "Oh look, its Rando Calrissian, *great*!".

It would be cool to travel with my mates admittedly, but maybe that will get patched in. They seem to have big plans for it. As it is, everything I've seen about this game appeals and makes me (still) keen for the launch tomorrow on PC. Exploring planets, space anomalies, on a journey to the centre of the universe... sounds like what I wanted Elite Dangerous to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Ionised

I have this preordered. Is it firm that release is 6pm Friday?
    Reason I ask is I'm in work from 5pm and won't be able to even touch my pc until Tuesday!

Going to be a frustrating weekend trying not to read too many reviews and opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ionised wrote: »
    I have this preordered. Is it firm that release is 6pm Friday?
    Reason I ask is I'm in work from 5pm and won't be able to even touch my pc until Tuesday!

Going to be a frustrating weekend trying not to read too many reviews and opinions.
    THERE WILL BE NO PRE-LOAD AVAILABLE! Game due to release Friday: 6pm UK, 1pm Eastern US, 10am Pacific US and 7pm CEST.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/7/360672047212712737/

Posted 2 hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Some useful tips in this thread, I especially like the one for stacking mats.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4x88ji/super_helpful_game_mechanics_that_are_never/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Played for an hour after work today for the first time and had to turn the game off, hopefully they will add a FOV slider soon as like some other posters have mentioned it is giving me motion sickness, The Evil Within was the only other game that has done this to me, but not to the extent this has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I wouldnt be to hopeful of getting an FOV slider on console,least not in the short term,if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

EoinHef wrote: »
    I wouldnt be to hopeful of getting an FOV slider on console,least not in the short term,if at all.

One can hope, I know with DOOM is made a great difference when playing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Love the game but Jesus the map is terrible, can someone please explain how to set a waypoint? Everytime I do it, it never shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think I'm going to delete my save and start again. Feels like I'm missing out on whatever story there is by skipping the path of Atlas.

been curious about this one, can some who has played the Solus Project weigh in ???? Looks very similar in many ways but with way more spent on it and not in a good way :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Some sort of free infinite power cell for your exo suit, ship and multi tool, it would free you up to actually enjoy the environment, instead of watching metres and shooting rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Ah for Christ sake, found a planet that was covered in gold, and spent the last hour mining it, for the game to freeze before I traded it in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Think I'm going to delete my save and start again. Feels like I'm missing out on whatever story there is by skipping the path of Atlas.

I followed Atlas and I'm not seeing much of a story so far. You might not be missing much.

Got to spend more time exploring tonight. I'm not one for being a completionist, but it's killing me that I can only find 80/90% of the life-forms on a planet. I've found giant dinosaur looking creatures, and tiny floating wisps which were only visible when I was standing right beside them. The variation is great!

I'm still enjoying myself. I've yet to encounter hostile space-pirates but if their AI is anything like that of the sentinels, I can't see them being too much of a challenge. No game freezes tonight either.

I think NMS has the potential to be an excellent modern space-sim. I would've loved a working multiplayer aspect, civilisations to discover, planetary exploration that actually paid off (yes, it's beautiful. But getting lost in a network of caves became boring - I was hoping to stumble on some wonderful secret, but there were only dead-ends), space-stations to navigate.

I've been following the game for the last year. I'm not a passionate fanboy, nor am I an armchair hater. The small team of developers have made something great, but I do think they mislead their customers into buying a product that was over-hyped and misconceived.

It doesn't matter who generated the hype; Hello Games knew about it (Sean Murray claims some of the team were following the NMS Reddit page), and they let it snowball. It was only before the game dropped that Sean came out to say that their game might not be what people expected.

I'm a realist. I didn't expect the mother of space exploration games to be developed by such a small team. But I was led to believe that I was going to get more than what I'm currently experiencing. Someone here quoted a review which hit the nail on the head; an ocean of a game that's as deep as a pond.

Anyway, what was supposed to be a short post became a rant. Just my two cents. Here's to more space exploration!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

been curious about this one, can some who has played the Solus Project weigh in ???? Looks very similar in many ways but with way more spent on it and not in a good way :confused:

I actually brought the solus project on tuesday after watching a couple of videos of
    CohhCarnage playing, haven't played enough of it to weigh in but I'm glad I brought it over NMS anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It can be pretty absorbing when youre playing, for all its faults. I just had a particularly good time on a moon I named 'Poon Moon'. It's in the Red Light District. Lots of grass plants there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Man, once you upgrade the warp drive, it really opens up! Literally flying from alias to atlas. And it's quite quick now to farm for resources to make warp fuel. About 10 minutes it took me to fill it. Can't wait to see what the next upgrade gives. It allow travel to the red stars, so they must be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Sounds like a Steam sale type game to me.

Hopefully they can build on it & improve it by the time it's a decent price on Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Has anyone had an issue where their ship stopped responding? Got out to check out a shelter and when I got back in the display screens were dead. Could still take off and fire the guns, but had no control inputs. Drifted up into space, and couldn't pulse drive once there. No apparent damage to the ship either.

Sound is borked, no weapon sounds or music.

Tried restarting the game, loading previous CP etc. Nothing.

On further investigation, I am also immortal. Tried to suicide and nothing. I have been condemned to wander the radioactive hellscape or float aimless through space.

Guess it's back to Overwatch. Bedamned if I'm starting all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Played this for a few hours more yesterday I am still not getting board of the game at all.

I have visited another 2 plants and one was a lovely green jungle and had loads of stuff looking like T Rex's and was quite cool.

The other was what a picture Mars to be like it was a mineing plant with loads of bases on it. And was extremely hot was very Cool.

Have started to pick up a lot more words of the English language with the race of things in it I have I think 7 words now ha ha.

I have also upgrade my suit to take another slot.

I don't think I will be board of this game for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Sounds like a Steam sale type game to me.

Hopefully they can build on it & improve it by the time it's a decent price on Steam.

steam reviews for this should be interesting tomorrow

• Advertisement

I actually brought the solus project on tuesday after watching a couple of videos of
    CohhCarnage playing, haven't played enough of it to weigh in but I'm glad I brought it over NMS anyway.

Actually watching some of the review videos for NMS earlier shows me the games are similar in setting and both have survival elements but not really the same. Solus Project is more end goal and story driven. It does have survival and crafting elements but is set on 4/5 islands on one planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

There has been a support page added to the NMS website here. There's an email address for sending bug reports. Nice to know that the devs are committed to working out the kinks in-game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Right, after another marathon, i'm still over 170k light years away from the centre. I've finally managed to get all available warp upgrades (4 so far) so jumping is happening at about 2000 light years a jump, but that's non linear. Works out about 160 linear light years. Haven't had many of the anomalies show up, and i'm all but done with the Atlas story (for those who have visited all the interfaces
    I stupidly sold 3 of the atlas spheres early on, not knowing I needed all 10 for the last interface, so I jetted off to find them for sale, found them, have 10, but can't find the last interface! No prompts, no purple waypoint, the 2 lads are no help as the option to help be put back on the path is gone. Unless I accidentally come across it again, I reckon that part is fooked!
    ).

I also have 2.8 million units, so waiting to spot a good ship. A handy note from a link above is putting the upgrades for each component beside each other to give them a boost, ie: putting all upgrades to the warp drive beside each others means they're working at optimum performance, as indicated by a coloured glow around them. And the melee jetpack is a lifesaver! Planet exploring is so much better now. Helps I have the jetpack and stamina boosted by 3 each. And i'm looking at the stats page on the ship, with all I've done, most of it is only half full, there must be something savage coming!

I've easily got my €60 worth already!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No, sorry but no.
    The actual gameplay of this game was carefully misrepresented.
    We saw soaring space craft, epic battles, discovering alien races and new species.
    Instead, much more time is spent on what appear to be the central mechanics of the game, shooting a rock and collecting material and then crafting with it.

"Mr Murray" as you call him was hardly the shrinking violet, on stage, TV and YouTube channel, showing off demonstrations of the game completely lacking in any evidence of what has turned out to be the actual game.

I'm sorry but you are utterly wrong.. Sean Murray Continually stated that people shouldnt look at it as Multiplayer experience and that peoples pre-conceptions may not pan out..

If you looked at the game footage and read interviews with him..he was on message continually.
    People built up this game in their heads to be the be all and end all,where as people who are enjoying the game now for what it is,saw what kind of game it was going to be..

Its far from perfect but i do think that with the updates (free i might add) that will come over the next couple of years that Hello Games will take on board players suggestions to a certain extent and fix issues that arise quite quickly. The flack that they are taking is just disgraceful in my opinion..

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

And as for not pre-ordering.
    I will return to my own policy of waiting for reviews, though I will probably break it again for The Last Guardian

That game has "WAIT FOR REVIEWS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!" written all over it.. :)

A handy note from a link above is putting the upgrades for each component beside each other to give them a boost, ie: putting all upgrades to the warp drive beside each others means they're working at optimum performance, as indicated by a coloured glow around them. And the melee jetpack is a lifesaver! Planet exploring is so much better now. Helps I have the jetpack and stamina boosted by 3 each.!

Nice tip there!

What are people's opinions of it so far? From watching various Let's Play/Let's Watch of it, it does seem like there could be potential issues with a confusing UI/HUD? Now that we're a few days in, is it mostly geared towards the explorer-heads or would there be enough in there for other players?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

So i bought the game yesterday, played it for a few hours, managed to get off planet and now have 300k in money.

Amazing game, feels real relaxing to just wander the planets and explore.

Even the planet hopping is great, I love the effect used for using the hyper drive (or warp drive,cant remember it's name).

One thing that has confused the hell out of me is the sentinels on the planets. The little floaty guys started shooting me for no reason when I was mining. Why do they do that? Destroyed a few of them and then a walker went after me and I died. Now I'm super cautious around any of them, they keep scanning me when they're near. Annoying little buggers!

What are people's opinions of it so far? From watching various Let's Play/Let's Watch of it, it does seem like there could be potential issues with a confusing UI/HUD? Now that we're a few days in, is it mostly geared towards the explorer-heads or would there be enough in there for other players?

Ive played around 13hrs and so far im enjoying it,you can easily get sidetracked,ie,going to a planet to check out an abandoned manufacturing plant and from there seeing a question mark,flying to it and finding its a transmission beacon,which opens up more points to visit... (thats happened alot and it never feels like a waste of time)

Absorbing is the word,now if they could tighten up the space combat and maybe make the inventory UI a little bit more efficient to use,ill be very happy...

8/10

• Advertisement

Are there missions/quests/storyline/etc. in it? Obviously no spoilers, but just trying to gauge how much of a guaranteed purchase it'll be

Advertisement