Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

rejkin wrote: »
    One thing that has confused the hell out of me is the sentinels on the planets. The little floaty guys started shooting me for no reason when I was mining. Why do they do that? Destroyed a few of them and then a walker went after me and I died. Now I'm super cautious around any of them, they keep scanning me when they're near. Annoying little buggers!

They are there to protect the resources and plant and wildlife from plundering barbarians,well that's what i can gather,maybe there is an explanation within the plot down the line somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Are there missions/quests/storyline/etc. in it? Obviously no spoilers, but just trying to gauge how much of a guaranteed purchase it'll be

Yes,there are 3 paths you can take.. but the plot/story is not spelt out for you,you kind of pick it up as you go along..

Cant really say much more without being spoilery..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

anyone here getting in on pc today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

dunworth1 wrote: »

Indeedy doody. Though prob won't get a chance to play till late tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm considering it. I'd like to see some reports of how it runs on PC first though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

was going to, til i read the reviews
    I'll give it a few more days and see how the pc version looks. But probably end up getting it in a steamsale at christmas or something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I'm considering it. I'd like to see some reports of how it runs on PC first though.

same as myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Meh, I've been waiting long enough. Gonna pre-purchase now and I'll be home and showered for 6. There's my Friday night in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

bigphil2 wrote: »
    They are there to protect the resources and plant and wildlife from plundering barbarians,well that's what i can gather,maybe there is an explanation within the plot down the line somewhere?

It makes sense! I have purchased a better gun so bring it on flying robots!

At some stage I am just gonna go full pirate mode, already had an alien at an outpost not talk to me cause he was scared of the gun I had ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

It would be nice if they sold the ship from the PC special edition.

Only downside to the ps4 version was that there was no edition with that ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭Wossack

is there gonna be mod support on pc version?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Gonna pick it up at some stage today before release, im relatively confident enough that with all the adjustments they are talking about for PC release it will be a stable enough version of the game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Okay
    So, put a couple of hours into it this morning.
    Story is kinda what you make it to be.
    Crappy lack of inventory slots is probably my biggest gripe at this point, that and with the point of view in your ship I can't see exactly where I'm landing.
    Also, there should be a better populated planetary map, once you've unlocked locations.
    But it's getting better...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Watched the ending out of curiosity. Don't go in with high expectations.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Okay
    So, put a couple of hours into it this morning.
    Story is kinda what you make it to be.
    Crappy lack of inventory slots is probably my biggest gripe at this point, that and with the point of view in your ship I can't see exactly where I'm landing.
    Also, there should be a better populated planetary map, once you've unlocked locations.
    But it's getting better...

More inventory slots can be unlocked by finding those drop pod things and once you get the atlas station pass

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

bigphil2 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you are utterly wrong.. Sean Murray Continually stated that people shouldnt look at it as Multiplayer experience and that peoples pre-conceptions may not pan out..

If you looked at the game footage and read interviews with him..he was on message continually.
    People built up this game in their heads to be the be all and end all,where as people who are enjoying the game now for what it is,saw what kind of game it was going to be..

I never considered the multiplayer element, seeing as I'm a Billy no mates when it comes to gaming.
    I would have considered a multiplayer focus as a reason not to buy tbh. Although a Dark Souls style summoning system when you are knee deep in sh1t might be helpful.

And how do you market a game without generating preconceptions, promotion is the very definition of generating preconceptions.
    And that marketing, and interviews were heavy on the adventure and exploration, light on the emphasis on resource and inventory management.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I haven't played yet but according to Reddit you can stack items in the inventory.
    Inventory Stacking: Each slot in your suit can hold up to 250 of any resource. Each slot in your ship can hold up to 500.

Stack Green/Rare Items: This is super helpful as these items do not stack on their own. It's a bit of a process to understand, so check out the explanation here (Possibly a big, not a mechanic, but thanks u/Cmdr_Darko!) link

Maybe that is obvious, I don't know, but I do see a lot of people complaining about a lack of stacking.
    rejkin wrote: »
    At some stage I am just gonna go full pirate mode, already had an alien at an outpost not talk to me cause he was scared of the gun I had ha.

I have a horrible suspicion this game is just going to punish you for playing "wrong" if you want to be a pirate. I don't know, trip report would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You can stack resources.....but not items. That stacking feature he talked about is a bug and Its not intentional. The only possible way to stack items is when you disassemble something. So obviously if i have 5 items the only way for me to stack them is to create something with them, and then disassemble them. So if I have 5 Vykeen daggers, they take up 5 spots. I cant stack them because you can't make anything with a Vykeen dagger.

They will get to it. Most of the complaints centre round the inventory so its probably high on their list.

Kirby wrote: »
    You can stack resources.....but not items. That stacking feature he talked about is a bug and Its not intentional. The only possible way to stack items is when you disassemble something. So obviously if i have 5 items the only way for me to stack them is to create something with them, and then disassemble them. So if I have 5 Vykeen daggers, they take up 5 spots. I cant stack them because you can't make anything with a Vykeen dagger.

They will get to it. Most of the complaints centre round the inventory so its probably high on their list.

It needs to be seriously looked at as apparently you need
    10 atlas stones when you get to the centre for whatever happens
    there and each of them currently take up 1 inventory slot

I know. Its ridiculous. My exosuit has 30 slots now so I'm in better shape but if I have to
    keep 10 of those for atlas stones.
    .....its just dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I dont really understand the problem with the inventory. Its part of the progression sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I know. Its ridiculous. My exosuit has 30 slots now so I'm in better shape but if
    I have to keep 10 of those for atlas stones
    ......its just dumb.

Any chance you can spoiler this? I didnt take the Atlas route and dont know what youre talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I dont really understand the problem with the inventory. Its part of the progression sure?

I haven't played it, but from what I gather people are having to spend a lot of time dicking about with inventories, which might be great if that's what you're into, but doesn't sound like a lot of fun in a game that's meant to be about exploring the universe.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Any chance you can spoiler this? I didnt take the Atlas route and dont know what youre talking about.

I was going to but ive heard of people selling them cus they go for a pretty penny and its not actually explained in the game what they are needed for so it was also a warning that they are required for something

I'll post a few tips anyway.

You can learn a load of words at the atlas stations. Half the glowy globe thingy's on the ground teach you new words so its work walking round and collecting them.

The quickest way to expand your suit inventory is to follow the path of the atlas. Once you have the v1 pass, every space station you encounter will have an Exosuit upgrade you can purchase. You can also look for "shelters" on planets if you dont have an atlas pass.....but the space stations are much quicker.

The fastest mode of travel is a bit of a bug but it feels great. R1 is a melee attack. If you press it and then immediately X for Jetback, you go flying at a much faster rate of travel than sprinting. It makes getting around and collecting stuff a lot more fast and fun.

Upgrades stack. So if you have mining speed +1 and +2, they will stack. You dont have to replace the +1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Wossack wrote: »
    is there gonna be mod support on pc version?

Sean mentioned that all games should have some form of modding through developer provided tools. That was back in 2014 though and I haven't heard anything since so I would expect nothing at launch.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Would that've been before or after the Sony partnership? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Shiminay wrote: »
    Would that've been before or after the Sony partnership? :D
    The partnership only extended to promotional support and probably some platform specific help so, assuming the mod tools are PC only and Hello can fund their development themselves, they should still be on the cards at some point I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well I hope that's true, this game could be incredible if modders can get in and fix the problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

The fastest mode of travel is a bit of a bug but it feels great. R1 is a melee attack. If you press it and then immediately X for Jetback, you go flying at a much faster rate of travel than sprinting. It makes getting around and collecting stuff a lot more fast and fun.

From what I have just read you can run with R3 ... Can not confirm this yet however as have not tried myself...

Advertisement