Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yes you can, but you have a "Stamina" bar which drains as you do. The above tip is faster and doesn't use that up (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SirJoker

Hi. Quick question. This game needs apparently 8GB of RAM... is it a big problem if my notebook has only 4GB? Otherwise, I fulfil all the requirements. I don't want to buy it and find out I can't play it. Thanks for help.

Only played the game for an hour last night. On the first planet, there is a beacon(?) that asks to choose between the Atlas route and free explorer. What's the difference? I'm tempted to go explorer, but don't want to miss anything the game has to offer either.

(Please mark spoilers in replies.)

SirJoker wrote: »
    Hi. Quick question. This game needs apparently 8GB of RAM... is it a big problem if my notebook has only 4GB? Otherwise, I fulfil all the requirements. I don't want to buy it and find out I can't play it. Thanks for help.

I've never used it, but doesn't Steam have a two hour refund? Meaning if you clock up less than two hours you can claim a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

No you cant play it, you dont have enough memory.

You might be able to run it from a USB or saved to a external HD if u have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭SteM

No you cant play it, you dont have enough memory.

You might be able to run it from a USB stick though.

What does lack of memory have to do with running it from a USB stick? USB is storage RAM is memory.

I don't know. Never used it either and I'll probably try it if I don't get an answer but still... Does anybody know if it would be problematic for my ntbk to run this game?

PirateSchampoo: There is a difference between a memory and storage space the game needs. At this game it's 10GB but that doesn't matter. I have enough of free space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

SteM wrote: »
    What does lack of memory have to do with running it from a USB stick? USB is storage RAM is memory.

Yup, sorry i miss read his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It will run, but if it actually needs that much memory you're going to experience a lot of freezing and stuttering as it caches to and from virtual memory on the hard disk. It wouldn't be a pleasant experience if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

These procedurally generated games are always hard on RAM. I think you might struggle. I have 4x4GB sticks in my machine so I will remove 3 of them and test over the weekend (if I buy it...)

EDIT: although, thinking about it... by the time I get around to testing it, I am sure any number of people will have tried it and posted results.

• Advertisement

"Memory" being thought of as storage is the there/their/they're of tech.... :D

d31b0y wrote: »
    These procedurally generated games are always hard on RAM. I think you might struggle.

Yeah. That's what I'm afraid of. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Only played the game for an hour last night. On the first planet, there is a beacon(?) that asks to choose between the Atlas route and free explorer. What's the difference? I'm tempted to go explorer, but don't want to miss anything the game has to offer either.

(Please mark spoilers in replies.)
    Atlas route definitely as you can take the other paths after that questline/route is finished

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

bigphil2 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you are utterly wrong.. Sean Murray Continually stated that people shouldnt look at it as Multiplayer experience and that peoples pre-conceptions may not pan out..

If you looked at the game footage and read interviews with him..he was on message continually.
    People built up this game in their heads to be the be all and end all,where as people who are enjoying the game now for what it is,saw what kind of game it was going to be..

Have to disagree here bigphil. We were always led to believe that while the sheer size of the solar system would give us very slim odds of encountering other players, we were told it was possible. Very few people are under the impression that this game was supposed to be a multiplayer experience, but that it would have multiplayer elements. Sean himself said that you could meet others but that there'd be no methods of communication. Maybe it's a feature that is bugged and will arrive at a later date?

Sean Murray and the Hello Games team seem like a great bunch, but I don't understand the fanatic loyalty that a lot of gamers bestow on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Notorious wrote: »
    Sean Murray and the Hello Games team seem like a great bunch, but I don't understand the fanatic loyalty that a lot of gamers bestow on him.

Definitely not a fanatic btw.. i just didnt see multiplayer as the thing that they were selling the game on,if they add it on at a later date then great but i'm enjoying the game as is...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Definitely not a fanatic btw.. i just didnt see multiplayer as the thing that they were selling the game on,if they add it on at a later date then great but i'm enjoying the game as is...

Totally agree, if anything I saw this as a kind Journey like multiplayer game but at the same time it wasnt the selling point for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

2.6Gb is the confirmed file size for PC (@NoMansSky on twitter) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

My own opinion is that from the first e3 trailer, there was never any talk of multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Yay! My 350kb/s internet will have it downloaded in a mere 2 and a half hours!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Anywhere selling this for under €60 on pc? Not paying that much.

Usual sites I buy from don't even have it for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

ShaneU wrote: »
    Anywhere selling this for under €60 on pc? Not paying that much.

Usual sites I buy from don't even have it for sale.
    Its a mad price alright on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Sarn

No way I'm paying €60. Even the key resellers are about €48.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

jfn7s8W.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

My own opinion is that from the first e3 trailer, there was never any talk of multiplayer.

Finally get to say this.

Your opinion is WRONG.

Game looks interesting, though i'm not going to pay €60 for it. From the looks of it it doesnt seem like theres enough to actually do in the giant universe that warrants that pricetag. From talking to people in work who got it, seems like its a constant repition of fly to planet, shoot stuff for resources, find points of interest, move on. With the odd space station thrown in there too. It'll be a steam sale game for me.

These are all "technically" true answers though (the worst kind of "true" :D) - the previously reported "2 Twitch guys on the same place at the same time" issue not withstanding (I didn't follow up on that, was it classed as an official bug or just an instancing issue?), these are all things you can do and he has, for the most part, added the caveat that it's simply not likely to happen due to the scale.

It does seem like "be a bit vague about it" was the plan for media all along though which I suppose fosters the poor response and confusion we're seeing everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Shiminay wrote: »
    These are all "technically" true answers though (the worst kind of "true" :D) - the previously reported "2 Twitch guys on the same place at the same time" issue not withstanding (I didn't follow up on that, was it classed as an official bug or just an instancing issue?), these are all things you can do and he has, for the most part, added the caveat that it's simply not likely to happen due to the scale.

It does seem like "be a bit vague about it" was the plan for media all along though which I suppose fosters the poor response and confusion we're seeing everywhere.

One of those guys wasn't even logged in to PSN at the time. Also, Murray came out and said that there where server issues in relation to the two lads meeting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Question for those of you past the tutorial. I redeemed the pre-order ship, but not sure if I did it before I built the hyperdrive, so I'm freaked out about getting a new craft. When I try to install tech in my ship (which already has a hyperdrive), there isn't a hyperdrive option on the list.

Could someone who didn't skip the tutorial check to see if they have the option to build another on their craft?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

One of those guys wasn't even logged in to PSN at the time. Also, Murray came out and said that there where server issues in relation to the two lads meeting up.

He implied that overloaded servers might be related in some way, but he'd do a politician proud with the manner in which he says nothing at all. He did not actually state that the reason they couldn't see each other was that the server was overloaded. More people have tried to meet up since and can't see each other, there's another one over on Reddit right now.

Zillah wrote: »
    He implied that overloaded servers might be related in some way, but he'd do a politician proud with the manner in which he says nothing at all. He did not actually state that the reason they couldn't see each other was that the server was overloaded. More people have tried to meet up since and can't see each other, there's another one over on Reddit right now.

It could be that it's a bug they haven't been able to fix yet and that he simply doesn't know :) That people are nitpicking over every word he says means that he no longer has the luxury of being able to give a straight answer to anything.

If so called fans would bother their holes to learn the most basics of how a gigantic software project is put together then they'd know the answers to most of their questions and the butthurt would go away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd say that a Dark Souls type patch is on the way.
    So it won't be a multiplayer game in the traditional sense.
    The possibilities are endless, certainly it could be patched and updated to compete with the likes of EVE Online.
    The flying model needs work though.
    Need gas giants too, with systems of moons.
    An asteroid belt or two would be nice.
    Plus, star systems that are toxic to be in, like one with a pulsar, making the player adhere to a timer before getting cooked in their own ship.

I am softening on this title though....

Advertisement