Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The maths behind the "no one will ever meet" was also badly out. Google the "birthday problem" if you want an indepth discussion of it.
    Consider this... how many people do you need in a room before its likely (>50% chance) you will have two people with the same birthday?

There are 365 days in a year. That's a lot of days! Seems like you would need a lot of people! Actually you need 23 people. that's not a lot of people.
    Similarly for the planets problem. There are a LOT of planets. Sure, but there are going to be hundreds of thousands of players.
    Additionally those players can MOVE their "birthdays" (planets) and are also looking out and actively seeking other players (ie: not random).

Its not mind-blowing at all, its actually just math.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Shiminay wrote: »
    It could be that it's a bug they haven't been able to fix yet and that he simply doesn't know :) That people are nitpicking over every word he says means that he no longer has the luxury of being able to give a straight answer to anything.

If so called fans would bother their holes to learn the most basics of how a gigantic software project is put together then they'd know the answers to most of their questions and the butthurt would go away.

Come on man,does a consumer have to brush up on the fundimentals of combustion engines when buying a car? Do they have to understand electricities properties to buy a hoover with an electric motor? Do i need a degree in steelworking to buy a set of kitchen knives?

All people want is a proper answer,the whole marketimg campaign for this game has been the most vague thing i have ever seen. Half truths dressed up as answers and zero clarity on so many issues. Ive no problem with them saying MP is not working right now and they will address it in the future. But this ambiguity is actually putting me off buying the game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Just pulled the trigger on this. Most expensive games I've bought since Battlefield I'd say.

Il give the two hours and if I don't like il refund.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Drexel wrote: »
    Just pulled the trigger on this. Most expensive games I've bought since Battlefield I'd say.

Il give the two hours and if I don't like il refund.
    That might be a mistake.... from everything I've read the first two hours are quite grindy and then you upgrade your capacity/inventory and it changes to a more explorey game.... 2 hours might not do it justice. I'd watch from Lets Plays and see what you think of later game action but YMMV.

And yeah, the communication from the team has been pretty vague to the point of off-putting but I never bought into the hype anyone so I'm just looking forward to what I know is in the game for sure :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

EoinHef wrote: »
    Come on man,does a consumer have to brush up on the fundimentals of combustion engines when buying a car? Do they have to understand electricities properties to buy a hoover with an electric motor? Do i need a degree in steelworking to buy a set of kitchen knives?
    A smart one does... :)
    EoinHef wrote: »
    All people want is a proper answer,the whole marketimg campaign for this game has been the most vague thing i have ever seen. Half truths dressed up as answers and zero clarity on so many issues. Ive no problem with them saying MP is not working right now and they will address it in the future. But this ambiguity is actually putting me off buying the game
    I agree 100% with this, have said so many times in this thread - the ambiguity of the marketing and message is obviously deliberate. It tricks the uninformed and the excited alike into letting their imagination run away with themselves and we end up with the sorts of problems we're seeing now. When they put out those 4 videos a week before launch based on the themes of Explore, fight, etc, I was straight into this thread to say how much they put me off this game because it was looking more and more like "a mile wide, but an inch deep" territory just like Elite was and that all the marketing looked like it was trying to hide that fact.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Steam version installing now.

To infinity... as a toy once said :)

DeVore wrote: »
    That might be a mistake.... from everything I've read the first two hours are quite grindy and then you upgrade your capacity/inventory and it changes to a more explorey game.... 2 hours might not do it justice. I'd watch from Lets Plays and see what you think of later game action but YMMV.

And yeah, the communication from the team has been pretty vague to the point of off-putting but I never bought into the hype anyone so I'm just looking forward to what I know is in the game for sure :)

Yeah il have to see how I get on. As long as its not driving me mental or there are no huge launch problems il play past the two hours.

No sign of being able to download yet. Hope the 6pm isnt delayed

Edit: Downloading now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Shiminay wrote: »
    A smart one does... :)

Im certainly not suggesting consumers should go around with blinkers on i just think its a bit of a stretch to have to have the level of knowledge you suggest for every product you buy.

I agree 100% with this, have said so many times in this thread - the ambiguity of the marketing and message is obviously deliberate. It tricks the uninformed and the excited alike into letting their imagination run away with themselves and we end up with the sorts of problems we're seeing now. When they put out those 4 videos a week before launch based on the themes of Explore, fight, etc, I was straight into this thread to say how much they put me off this game because it was looking more and more like "a mile wide, but an inch deep" territory just like Elite was and that all the marketing looked like it was trying to hide that fact.

I think the ambiguity is/has back fired on them a bit so maybe they will learn a bit of a lesson going forward and be a bit more concise going forward,one can hope anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Steam version installing now.

To infinity... as a toy once said :)
    Did you get the game to launch? Mine installed but it seems to crash after I hit play (running shows up beside the game name and then disappears).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

mDixTQV.png

I'm getting an OpenGL error.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

wyrn wrote: »
    Did you get the game to launch? Mine installed but it seems to crash after I hit play (running shows up beside the game name and then disappears).

Yeah playing fine. Just waiting out my first night at the moment!

Lucky you! I can't get past the "Preparing to launch" bit. I've validated the files, I've restarted the computer. Stuck now as to what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Karak from Angry Centaur Gaming doing a live stream of the PC version.
    Confirms FOV slider :)
    Controls in game via M+K is very good.
    Reports in it doesn't run great tho :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hIfBayl6hc

Post above dont bode well. Im still downloading with my useless internet

15 min left :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Don't Alt+Tab either, you won't be able to get it back on screen again :pac:

Drexel wrote: »
    Post above dont bode well. Im still downloading with my useless internet

15 min left :pac:
    Where are you living? I managed to download it twice. Still no joy with it launching after the reinstall :mad:

Venom wrote: »
    Reports in it doesn't run great tho :(

Running great for me at the moment :) Got freaked out when it booted up and would only manage 30 FPS, but thankfully that's just the default and if can be unlocked in the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

totalbiscuit is ripping it apart in his stream: https://www.twitch.tv/totalbiscuit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    totalbiscuit is ripping it apart in his stream: https://www.twitch.tv/totalbiscuit

Watched that for a minute. What a douche.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Where are you living? I managed to download it twice. Still no joy with it launching after the reinstall :mad:
    Try deleting the MS redistributables manually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Watched that for a minute. What a douche.

he's a douche, but he's a douche who wields a lot of angry fanboys so if he doesnt like it on pc there will be a backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Christ, it's getting absolutely hammered on Steam. Evidently there's some severe stalls and widespread crash issues from wading through what's been posted so far. :(

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Try deleting the MS redistributables manually.
    Yeah I just clicked repair on vcredist_x64 and it allowed me to launch the game after yet another restart. Now I'm stuck on the title screen of NMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

30% Positive, 70% Negative on Steam store right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Wow, runs like complete crap when you're in the ship. Will wait til it's fixed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Wow, yea, I'm looking at TB's stream too, that's a man with SLI Titans and it's only hitting 80FPS? He's disabled the SLI but it's got slightly above "medium" settings and it's absolutely fked.

Explains the PC Release delay and the lack of review code going out so. Well I hope all you pre-order people hit their refund button fairly lively :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Running fine for me both in the ship and while walking. Enjoying it so far. A little confused as to what I'm doing but am very much enjoying it.

If you alt-tab you can get it back. Start up task manager and right click -> Bring to front.

Already a patch on it via steam to fix some logging in errors.

Noxin wrote: »
    Running fine for me both in the ship and while walking. Enjoying it so far. A little confused as to what I'm doing but am very much enjoying it.

If you alt-tab you can get it back. Start up task manager and right click -> Bring to front.
    When I launch the game, after the title I just seem to get an infinite star field. What is supposed to happen next? Still haven't found that elusive any key to bring me to start the flippin game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

When I launch the game, after the title I just seem to get an infinite star field. What is supposed to happen next? Still haven't found that elusive any key to bring me to start the flippin game

I just press Enter and it loads through.

• Advertisement

Running great for me at the moment :) Got freaked out when it booted up and would only manage 30 FPS, but thankfully that's just the default and if can be unlocked in the menu.

I am the same. Running fine for me. Tabbing out causing trouble tho

Advertisement