Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Watching Cohh Carnage's stream now, it's running great for him. :confused:

Real shame to see these sorts of launch day problems especially when there's already been a delay. Let's hope it's not Arkham Knight levels of banjaxed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just played around 80 minutes there, got off my starter planet and to the first space station. Maybe it's just the tempered expectations after the mixed feedback, but I'm really pleasantly surprised. It looks great - that the algorithm mixed with some stellar art design is able to achieve such unique sights is a hell of an achievement on its own. Even finding the resource gathering surprisingly relaxing and engaging at this point, once I got the hang of the menus. There's definitely issues with inventory management, so will see how it plays out in the long-term.

Getting good performance on the default settings, frame rate fluctuates but that's partly par for the course given the sort of game we're dealing with. Have tinkered with the settings a bit so will see what happens when I boot up again.

So far so good though - already had a number of those wonderful little moments of discovery and adventure Hello were clearly so focused on getting right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'm waiting for the sun to go down to really delve into it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Just played around 80 minutes there, got off my starter planet and to the first space station. Maybe it's just the tempered expectations after the mixed feedback, but I'm really pleasantly surprised. It looks great - that the algorithm mixed with some stellar art design is able to achieve such unique sights is a hell of an achievement on its own. Even finding the resource gathering surprisingly relaxing and engaging at this point, once I got the hang of the menus. There's definitely issues with inventory management, so will see how it plays out in the long-term.

Getting good performance on the default settings, frame rate fluctuates but that's partly par for the course given the sort of game we're dealing with. Have tinkered with the settings a bit so will see what happens when I boot up again.

So far so good though - already had a number of those wonderful little moments of discovery and adventure Hello were clearly so focused on getting right.

Having a similar experience. Il pleasantly surprised. Got off my first planet and landed on another that was toxic so got out of there.

The flight controls were a bit iffy I thought but no performance issues at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Definitely could do with an optimization pass, I'm running an i5 and a 970 and finding it lag quite a bit. The LOD is little below what i was hoping for especially with that bill boarding terrain detail (on my starting planet anyway) which looks very flat. But from a game play perspective I'm enjoying it and will continue on in my journey. Hopefully the stutter issues get sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Definitely could do with an optimization pass, I'm running an i5 and a 970 and finding it lag quite a bit.

I have the same spec and the same lag. Dropping down to 10fps from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The price is awfully high for a small indie studio considering GTAV cost €60 and took hundreds of developers 5 years to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

By those rights most gamea wouldn't cost past €30.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Don't Alt+Tab either, you won't be able to get it back on screen again :pac:

This seemed true until I went back and pressed play in Steam again (I kno righ?!)... and it switched me back into the (ambiguously titled) "application" >.< lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I got lucky and landed on a planet full of eredium and a trade posts and made a fortune. I now have 1.5m. Should i save it or blow it all on a bigger ship with more storage?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A few more hours in and still very impressed. The game IMO really benefits from playing it at an unhurried, relaxed pace - take your time to look around. Finding myself surprisingly engrossed by the language aspect of the game and the peaceful progress you make with alien races as a result.

One of the moments that really sold the game for me so far was stumbling across a labyrinthine, highly radioactive, waterlogged cave. Just swimming through it and observing the incredible, surreal alien landscape was hugely satisfying - made more so by the knowledge that nobody else has yet encountered that exact same location, and maybe never will. Something potently lonely and meditative about the experience. I don't think you'd get quite the same rush if it was a very clearly authored environment that everybody else experiences - I'm a big proponent of those 'authored' moments in 99.9% of cases, but I think the very particular atmosphere and experience No Man's Sky wants to create can only be achieved by something with strong elements of randomisation.

Even if the surprise of the landscapes wears off after more play, that the game has already managed to elicit some of those moments, little and large, of genuine wonder IMO means Hello have managed to pull off the key aspect that has always appealed to me about the game since that first trailer. The first moment you get pulled into a space station
    that just happens to look like the death star
    ... it's pure space opera, and the aesthetics are just spot on.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So, 90 minutes into it and just got my ship repaired (even though I have the preorder ship, which I'm going to redeem shortly).

So, its by no means perfect but its not as bad as the numpties are making out on Steam. Hasn't crashed once for me, frame rate is smooth but stutters occasionally if you get me (like its doing something else momentarily). Really enjoying my first planet and once I learn to land (LOL) I'll go back down to rediscover the last of the animals (theres only 6 on my planet so it seems like its worth it).

Considering I've got all the space stuff to do yet I'm so far quite liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    I got lucky and landed on a planet full of eredium and a trade posts and made a fortune. I now have 1.5m. Should i save it or blow it all on a bigger ship with more storage?

Definitely get a ship with more storage. Don't be afraid to be a tirekicker either. Go to the nearest space station and check out the ships coming in.

For about 1.5 m you're looking at 22 - 25 slots but see if you can get one with decent guns and shields too, not to mention Hyperdrive and a Warp Reactor is a bonus for later. I spent hours comparing them and had a lot of fun doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I booted it up on my laptop and it ran like crap! Specs should have been fine, but it seriously needs some nvidia drivers asap!

Busted out the gaming pc and being playing since about 7:30 and having great craic! Was slightly jumpy early on, but haven't had much stutter in a while. In my 3rd star system now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Running fine for me, read on twitter "borderless and 90fps" Getting 70 fps on High with fairly old AMD drivers 1080p 290X2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Pint of Guinness, settings optimised.

Here we go! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Iv justs gotten lucky again. Scanned a planet and found another trading post. Went down, lots of aluminium blocks around and selling for 4.2% above average at the trading post. 2nd million here I come

I have the pre-order ship option but I'm worried that the bug (where you don't get the hyperdrive plans) is still going... anyone know if it is?

The inventory is a good bit wonky but not entirely broken. You have to stay "on-mission" and pick up stuff you need to survive and stuff you need for the thing-you-want-to-make-next. If you do that you wont have much problem with space for the moment...

Flying seems wonky for me with M+K but ok with an Xbox controller.

Where do I find the Hyperdrive plans? Just keep kicking things on the planet or is it on a station somewhere in space?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Maybe it's just a gender thing on why I can't get to play No Man's Sky:eek:

I'll just have to settle with the infinite star field while you men go off and scan some planets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

wyrn wrote: »
    Maybe it's just a gender thing on why I can't get to play No Man's Sky:eek:

I'll just have to settle with the infinite star field while you men go off and scan some planets.

Press and hold E when at the star field?

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/173103/20160809/if-youre-confused-by-no-mans-skys-start-screen-you-arent-the-only-one.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

DeVore wrote: »

Flying seems wonky for me with M+K but ok with an Xbox controller.

As an Elite player, I find the flight model below consoleish :D

Its very basic, but im ok with it. it suits this game.

I have the pre-order ship option but I'm worried that the bug (where you don't get the hyperdrive plans) is still going... anyone know if it is?

I redeemed it without a hitch anyway. Think it was either the first space station or second planet, just wait it out until you're in a nice clear spot and you should be fine. Just note that any energy you have in your engines etc won't carry over so make sure to use that stuff up before you change over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

EoinHef wrote: »

Tried that a few hours ago but no joy. Thanks though. I guess I'll just have to wait for an update. The only thing is, from the Steam forums, it looks like I'm not the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Played a couple of hours now. Really enjoying it.

Hype works the opposite way as well! From what I'd been reading online the last few days I thought this was going to be horrendous but it's really good.

Inventory is a pain but it's managable.

No framerate problems either but lots of people are having problems.

I've seen a few eel like creatures 'swimming' in the sky.

I seem to remember there was a bug with the some sea creatures spawning in the wrong place but i thought it was fixed.

My mate seen buildings spawned in mid air too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I managed to have the hyperdrive plans before I switched to the pre-order ship. I didn't plan it that way, just happened upon them. Make sure you transfer any cargo from your first ship, before you complete the transaction into the pre-order ship, or else you'll lose it :D

Also, I read in a blog post earlier on the official site, that the game will send you to find a set of plans for a hyperdrive, if you don't have one. Meaning the "bug" was just hysteria! Imagine that? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

About 10 um hours in now, and really enjoying it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

So I'm 6 hours in since launch. Fup me lads this game is huge. Whatever people have been saying. Fupping huge. (How is it only 3gb????)

Six hours later and I'm still on the first planet. Sure I can leave. I've repaired my ship and am good to go but there is just so much to do and see. I've been flying around this planet for at least 4 hours now trying to find all the life forms. I even came across a new ship that was battered. Was much more of a war ship than mine. All out Phasers and Torpedos with upgrades. I ended up leaving it though as I couldn't find some resource to upgrade it and its inventory was very low.

So far I'm loving the game. Especially after I threw x4 DSR settings in nvidia and creamed myself looking at it with a sweet 70+ fps.

I'll probably leave the first planet soon. But honestly I'm in no rush and I pity the fools who decided to race to the end. Fup that. You're missing out on so much.

Loving it.

That said, it could certinly do with a aul optimisation patch. These gfx aint top notch and even my 6700k & 1080 ain't doing wonders. The load aint huge so it just needs a few tweaks here and there. I hope they get on the ball with that soon.

So I'm 6 hours in since launch. Fup me lads this game is huge. Whatever people have been saying. Fupping huge. (How is it only 3gb????)

Cakes can be very very large. The recipe for making a cake is comparatively quite small. That's how they did it. They sent your computer the recipe for the cake and it made the cake for you. Most games send you the whole cake premade.

Mmmm cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Cakes can be very very large. The recipe for making a cake is comparatively quite small. That's how they did it. They sent your computer the recipe for the cake and it made the cake for you. Most games send you the whole cake premade.

Mmmm cake.

I do love me a slice o cake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

So what's your favourite cake?

I like them good and moist.

Wish I waited for the pc version, the fov on ps4 is horrible.

Advertisement