Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

For those who are taking your time on planets, just a little fyi. I did that initially, but with 30+ hours clocked, Atlas path completed (as best I can), and horsing through the last few systems thanks to a 4x warp drive, i'm still over 170k light years away from the centre. And the further I travel, the more planets with more life I find. Maybe it's just the planets i'm landing on, but most were barren or had some life, the last one I landed on was nearly earth like, but with a green sky. Hope I eventually find an Earth-like planet. Someone has found 1 so far I believe.

I wonder actually, can ye take note of the type of planets ye are landing on, and we'll see if there's any way of telling beforehand if a system is worth visiting? Like, I believe the rocky barren planets are in star system classed as FO6 or something like that. Or Hello Games could include a planet scanner, which gives the basics like probability of finding x material, probability of life, etc, before flying to the planet. Like Mass Effect 2's planet scanner. I think that would be perfect in this, because of limited inventory, I am focusing on collecting the parts I need for the next upgrade, or to repair something specific. Like, I need to repair one of my warp drives, but I need gold, and the last 6 planets I landed on had everything but...

Also, a galatic "base" would be useful, somewhere to send stuff to in order to make space, but you can only access it from space stations. Especially considering you might have to carry around 10 of something and they don't stack, and you don't have the chance to use them yet. Give it limited space too, but nothing too small. My exo has 5 spaces more than my ship!

And finally (for now), I wish there was an option to remove all had elements from the screen. Some of the planets were utterly beautiful, but my view ruined by on and off world way points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

so thought id try it out on pc, textures are just muddy fps hitches a fair bit. This feels like its gonna need a fair bit of patching luckily i can steam refund and il check it out again down the road a bit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Well, so far I've played just over an hour, and I'm content that it does what it claims to do. I had avoided all hype and spoilers equally, so I lack expecatations either way, other than the basic surface stuff of explore a procedural galaxy.

The interface is a bit annoying, as is the inventory management, but it does become a bit quicker and easier with practice. Though a decent UI shouldn't need that I'd also argue.

The planets are more detailed than would've expected. There's a decent enough density of building, monoliths and the like about the place. I was a tad worried that procedural would mean random but otherwise uninteresting terrain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've played ten minutes of it and have made my first ever use of the steam refund system. Performance is just atrocious. At 3440x1440 on a i5 system with a GTX 1070 can't even hit 30 fps. To make it worse the game constantly pauses and stutters. Even dropping to 1080p doesn't help, it still doesn't hit 30 FPS and the stuttering is still present. It's unplayable. It's disgraceful how badly it performs considering how well it performs on PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It uses Steam cloud saves too, so after my 6 hour session on my gaming pc, I booted into it on the laptop and was right where I left off!

I was able to get into it on the laptop, as nvidia have released their recommended setting for geforce cards and it played a bit better.
    Needs a serious graphics driver update and and all round optimisation patch before I'll be able to play it on the laptop, but it play fine on the big rig for mow.

This laptop can handle GTA V at 1080x60, but not NMS at 768x30 :mad:

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I wish the PS4 store had a refund option, can't bring myself to start all over again after the game ****ed me the first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

I made a boo boo. Got the pre order ship without having the antimatter diagrams. Accidentally warped off the path of the atlas to a random system. Spent 2 hours mining and visiting the station trying to get antimatter to warp back to my original system. :rolleyes: On the plus side I got a new multi-tool and lots of new words :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

For those who are taking your time on planets, just a little fyi..... .

I left. Now I'm fupping lost. lewl. Took me ages to figure out the pulse drive.
    (honestly sat there saying.. 2 fupping days?"?? To get to e station,, FUUCCCKKKKKK YOOOOUUUUU..... Ohhhh wait.... O.o)
    Now I need someything for a warp drive. I'lll look into that tomorrow. Thus far - loving the game. It has its faults. Don't get me wrong. But I'm hopeful that some of them can be ironed out in a short space of time.

One of the biggest gripes I see is inventory... Suit wise I think it works. You shouldn't be able to carry 100 tonnes of stuff on you at any time. Just kinda stupid. Ship wise it is good but I think a small increase would be better. Not much. But its a ship. It should be able to hold a bit more.

Anywho, im wasted and tired now. Looking forward to playing more tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

wyrn wrote: »
    Tried that a few hours ago but no joy. Thanks though. I guess I'll just have to wait for an update. The only thing is, from the Steam forums, it looks like I'm not the only one
    Maybe unplug joysticks/controllers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Korvanica wrote: »
    Finally get to say this.

Your opinion is WRONG.

Game looks interesting, though i'm not going to pay €60 for it. From the looks of it it doesnt seem like theres enough to actually do in the giant universe that warrants that pricetag. From talking to people in work who got it, seems like its a constant repition of fly to planet, shoot stuff for resources, find points of interest, move on. With the odd space station thrown in there too. It'll be a steam sale game for me.

Yes but is seeing another player actual multiplayer, really? You have as much chance of winning the lottery as seeing another player, is it really that big of a deal to some people?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Spent until 2am mucking about on my starting planet. I had thought I was going to race off and commit to getting to the centre of the universe but so far Ive been having a laugh kicking over stones and seeing whats underneath. My home planet is a little bit toxic and a weird red green but its mine and Ive had a bunch of moment cresting a hill and seeing a factory or a station or something cool and getting excited to scramble down and see what its got.

One tip for new players is to craft a bypass chip and then use it on the scanner you find at the waypoint stations and ask it for Shelters... so far both shelters Ive been directed to had suit upgrades (10k for one extra inv slot!)
    Very tasty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

DeVore wrote: »
    One tip for new players is to craft a bypass chip and then use it on the scanner you find at the waypoint stations and ask it for Shelters... so far both shelters Ive been directed to had suit upgrades (10k for one extra inv slot!)
    Very tasty.

Cheers. I've been using the scanners to find Monoliths mostly. I didn't know what a shelter was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I played it for around 3 hours last night. Started out on a very grassy planet, where the frame rate hitched quite a bit in the opening scene, but settled down almost immediately, and I was getting a smooth 30fps after that.

Only investigated the menu as I was finishing up, and found the frame rate lock and pov slicers. I was on a more barren planet then, but it was pushing the 60fps no problem either, so I was well happy. The fov setting is a bit strange, life a percentage I assume, as 100 was the maximum on the slider, but it did look better after changing it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Man....I could just spend 5 hours on the same planet and never learn how to build a hyperdrive :) I feel guilty leaving a place without having discovered everything.

I found some tricks on line, updating OpenGL drivers and changing settings and now get a constant 60fps with just the occasional dip to 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's unplayable. It's disgraceful how badly it performs considering how well it performs on PS4.

Try knocking the FOV back to 50 and see how well it runs.:D

It's 1080p at 30fps on the PS4 but it still stutters, I wouldn't say it run well, it's just optimised for the PS4.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

When are they patching in the empire, rebel alliance, the force and lightsabres?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Found a planet with gold everywhere and a trading terminal so decided to mine as much as I could. One annoying thing tho. The gold rocks that I have mined when I am in my ship the ones I have mined appear full so I touch down and only when i land do I see I have mined them already. Small gripe but annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Drexel wrote: »
    Found a planet with gold everywhere and a trading terminal so decided to mine as much as I could. One annoying thing tho. The gold rocks that I have mined when I am in my ship the ones I have mined appear full so I touch down and only when i land do I see I have mined them already. Small gripe but annoying.
    This has happened me a few times alright but if you slow down (L2) and get as close as possible you should be able see if they are the ones you already mined

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Notorious wrote: »
    Question for those of you past the tutorial. I redeemed the pre-order ship, but not sure if I did it before I built the hyperdrive, so I'm freaked out about getting a new craft. When I try to install tech in my ship (which already has a hyperdrive), there isn't a hyperdrive option on the list.

Could someone who didn't skip the tutorial check to see if they have the option to build another on their craft?

If you werent given the Blue Print for the Hyperdrive then you will have to make sure any ship you upgrade to has a hyperdrive installed as you wont be able to build one . and make sure you dismantle any tech on your old ship that the game lets you (R3 button on PS4 ) before changing ship,you will then be able to rebuild the same on the new ship ( Mining beam upgrades etc) as long as you have the blueprints to do so obvs..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

DeVore wrote: »

Very tasty.

The price goes up a bit for each new one, so sell frequently enough. Well worth it though, makes life a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

The price goes up a bit for each new one, so sell frequently enough. Well worth it though, makes life a bit easier.

Yea I found 2 on my starter planet. First at 10k, then 20k. So I assume a 10k increase per go.

And lads make sure you are uploading your discoveries in the menu. Easy credits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Space combat needs work. Its pretty much garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭Wossack

bought this morning (im weak), and initially bit worried, as very choppy... but flipped it to 60fps (defaults to 30) fixed it! phew :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kirby wrote: »
    Space combat needs work. Its pretty much garbage.

It feels like a lousy combination of PS1 era arcade flight sim and the Rogue Squadron games, the latter had a terrible flying model though they looked superb.

Also, ship board weapons are capable of carving into oblivion asteroids the size of a mountain, but have no effect on actual mountains.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

nix wrote: »
    When are they patching in the empire, rebel alliance, the force and lightsabres?

I assume, right after the patch in Klingon Empire, the UFP, the Enterprise and Ferengi trading stations.
    Also, I'd pay cash money for the Serenity....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I assume, right after the patch in Klingon Empire, the UFP, the Enterprise and Ferengi trading stations.
    Also, I'd pay cash money for the Serenity....

You left out the Galactica!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Set condition One throughout the ship! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Still no joy for me this morning. The starfield is very pretty much no amount of bashing all the keys or holding down E will work. I even have to press the windows button to exit. I was sort of hoping there'd be a patch over night it would magically start working.

I'm pretty sure I meet the minimum specs; i7, 12GB ram, GeForce GTX 560 Ti and 1.7TB free space. The only thing I don't know is about OpenGL 4.5, Intel cards.

Someone gifted me a copy of the game and I feel bad for them spending so much money on a game I can't get to work.

EDIT: Ok in Steam is says I have OpenGL 4.5 and my video drivers are updated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It seems it's a lottery whether it will work or not. On my 1070 GTX the gram rate and hitches are so bad that it's unplayable. Some people are having very little trouble.

Advertisement