Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

out of curiosity what os are ye using?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Windows 10

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Game runs very laggy on my decent rig, disappointed since it's quite jarring and makes the experience un enjoyable. I think I will leave it until they patch it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Played for about an hour earlier today and it crashed 3 times. The third time I had just landed on a planet, saved, and then discovered a load of creatures. Starting to get fed up with all the crashing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

wyrn wrote: »
    Still no joy for me this morning.

What is any of the gfx settings have you modified?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

FPS itself is fine for me but it does stutter, especially on fast head/view movement with corresponding hard drive activity so I'm guessing the real issue here is streaming with an engine optimised for the lower memory/hdd speed of a PS4 rather than really utilising the extra resources on my PC (Nvidia 1080, 32GB ram, RAID SSDs, Hex i7 @4.2Ghz). Now while annoying the stutter does not sound as bad as some reports I've heard so one thing you might want to check if it is really bad is CPU Parking, there are many utilities that will help you enable/disable it and I highly advise you give it a go. It popped up on my radar a few years back with Metro Last light, stuttered like a mfkr until I disabled it. Nowadays I use Process Lasso for this (and cpu scheduling in general) but there are plenty of free utils what will just handle the parking side for you.

As for the game itself. Initially I wasn't blow away with the base gameplay but slowly got drawn into the worlds themselves and found myself still playing away many hours after I thought I would quit for the night. My first planet was a dark toxic hellhole but the 2nd was just gorgeous, full of little ****ty poisonous insects trying to eat me but aesthetically wonderful. I've only just gotten the Hyperdrive BP but am happy to explore the worlds in my current system for the rest of the night. Yep, I think mission accomplished for the Devs, even if it's not quite what a lot of others envisioned it is breathtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is there a way to set waypoints?

I still on the 1st planet and need to get back to the 1st outpost found. Its in my discovery list but cant select it or can I?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Is there any chance we could split this into two threads one for PC specs and getting it working and another for gameplay , going through pages upon pages of people trying to get this work on PC isn't helping decide weather to buy this on PS4 or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I've put about an hour into it on PC and haven't had too much trouble. I've seen a couple of hitches were the framerate dropped momentarily. Otherwise pretty good. I put the settings up to high and the framerate cap at max.

I'm more concerned about motion sickness. Always a concern for me in games in first-person perspective. I've set the FOV to 100 so hopefully that will help.

I'm running Windows 10 with a Radeon 290X card and 16GB (I think) of RAM. There was also an AMD driver update before I started playing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Is there any chance we could split this into two threads one for PC specs and getting it working and another for gameplay , going through pages upon pages of people trying to get this work on PC isn't helping decide weather to buy this on PS4 or not

Already a thread in the PC gaming forum, unfortunately that then splits the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I just put 3 hours in and Im done, its a bit of a joke after all the hype tbh, it was an interesting 3 hours but when you get onto your first space station and realise its the exact same internal layout and mechanics as every other outpost on every planet and then you realise the whole game is going to be like this the whole thing just feels totally pointless. All the life forms absolutely reek of Spore aswell, seem to be 5 main types on every planet and you can see the same few different elements that have been stuck together to make them, its all the same. Would have made a nice Android game on some future super phone but as a AAA title its dull as fcuk. Utterly tedious game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Ponster wrote: »
    What is any of the gfx settings have you modified?
    None. Can't get any type of menu in game - it's just a smooth running of sailing through the galaxy screen. I haven't changed anything in nvidia because I don't know what to change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: We do indeed have a PC specific thread over in PC Gaming, so if you have any PC specific queries, observations or problems that's the best bet.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057631837

We're platform agnostic here, of course, so please continue to weigh in with your more general thoughts on the game here as well, I'm sure there'll be plenty to talk about with this game over the next while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

DeVore wrote: »
    One tip for new players is to craft a bypass chip and then use it on the scanner you find at the waypoint stations and ask it for Shelters... so far both shelters Ive been directed to had suit upgrades (10k for one extra inv slot!)
    Very tasty.

That's the way people who don't follow the path of Atlas can upgrade the suit. If you follow the path of Atlas, you get the Atlas Pass v1, which allows you to open the door across from traders in the space station hangars, and that has suit upgrades, just like the shelters will always have them too, and each one is a 10k increase.

It's worth checking out the manufacturing plants you get from the same device, but by picking either transmission or colonial outpost, I think it's the former. Pass the challenge (knowing the languages helps majorly) and you get a tech upgrade blueprint.

wyrn wrote: »
    None. Can't get any type of menu in game - it's just a smooth running of sailing through the galaxy screen. I haven't changed anything in nvidia because I don't know what to change.

Might be worth changing what you can in the settings file. I had to modify 2 settings in order to get the game to run. The previously linked to Reddit thread on PC Crashes was useful to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I've put about an hour into it on PC and haven't had too much trouble. I've seen a couple of hitches were the framerate dropped momentarily. Otherwise pretty good. I put the settings up to high and the framerate cap at max.

I'm more concerned about motion sickness. Always a concern for me in games in first-person perspective. I've set the FOV to 100 so hopefully that will help.

I'm running Windows 10 with a Radeon 290X card and 16GB (I think) of RAM. There was also an AMD driver update before I started playing.

I only posted the above a little while ago. But just now I flew the spaceship for the first time and the game turned into a slide show. Totally unplayable. Quite disappointing now. Think I'll look for a refund on Steam and comeback if/when it is fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've just realised that similar upgrades stacked beside each other, give a special bonus. They have a coloured border to let you know it's active.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

On my multi tool I have a mining beam which is activated with RT. But I also have a boltcaster that's supposed to be activated with RT. Anyone know how I can use the boltcaster. It's only the mining beam that fires

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

On Ps4, its triangle to switch, anyway. Same for the ship's guns.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

FINALLY I hunted down the last species on my home planet. Looked everywhere, in caves and everything. It was some kinda buzzard thing which I had to shoot out of the sky (scanner wouldn't recognise it in flight, bolts wouldn't hit it but it seem your mining lazer has serious reach!).

Sitting on 1.5 Million and going to eye up some nice ships on the station now...

I picked the Atlas thing at the start but haven't seen anything of it since, I believe it only really starts after you get off your planet?

This "game" is really more an experience and an exploration sandbox so far... its probably not AAA quality or price but because its so audacious and quite unique, I'm not complaining and I'm happy with my experience so far... The first planet has been fun but I'm not going to stick around on all of them for 8 hours hahah...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This "game" is really more an experience and an exploration sandbox so far... its probably not AAA quality or price but because its so audacious and quite unique, I'm not complaining and I'm happy with my experience so far... The first planet has been fun but I'm not going to stick around on all of them for 8 hours hahah...
    Exploring what though? Theres nothing to find. 3 large mammal things 2 small ones and a flying type, same on every planet with one or two variations. Might aswell fire up Minecraft and go "exploring".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

After finding a planet where there are loads of vortex cubes lying about. Vortex cubes sell for 24750 units each

Update: after finding at least five drop pods on the same planet. Vortex cubes are obviously glitched as if you walk by ones you already collected they appear but disappear when you get near them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Anyone know what exploded beside me in this vid.

I didn't circle back in case I was being chased but I dont think any ship attacks you on planets.

Maybe it was just a glitch, two things spawning at once? :confused:

Anyone tried exploring underwater? I've only came across one planet with water and I went in but couldn't do much exploring as I had to surface every minute or so. Is there an upgrade about to let you stay down for longer?

Can your ship go underwater? Anyone tried?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Drexel wrote: »
    Anyone tried exploring underwater? I've only came across one planet with water and I went in but couldn't do much exploring as I had to surface every minute or so. Is there an upgrade about to let you stay down for longer?

Can your ship go underwater? Anyone tried?

Yeah found a planet with a submerged building earlier. Basically took all my oxygen to get down and up, but there was actually a swimming upgrade hidden down there :p

One thing that's been a pleasant surprise so far is the quality of the writing. Quite a few of the encounters I've had with NPCs and monoliths have been either pretty funny or strangely poetic (one hallucinatory monolith dilemma was particularly well handled). The writers only have text at disposal, but they've done a really good job making pretty standard interactions have quite a bit of character to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Grayditch wrote: »
    I've just realised that similar upgrades stacked beside each other, give a special bonus. They have a coloured border to let you know it's active.

They didnt explain that sh8t at all. Also, you cant seem to move them in your inventory so youd have to dismantle them and rebuild.

Yeah found a planet with a submerged building earlier. Basically took all my oxygen to get down and up, but there was actually a swimming upgrade hidden down there :p

One thing that's been a pleasant surprise so far is the quality of the writing. Quite a few of the encounters I've had with NPCs and monoliths have been either pretty funny or strangely poetic (one hallucinatory monolith dilemma was particularly well handled). The writers only have text at disposal, but they've done a really good job making pretty standard interactions have quite a bit of character to them.

Oh il have to check out underwater so if I ever get a planet again that isn't toxic

The amount of lore and stuff like that has surprised me. I was under the impression there wasn't any really and it's been pretty good. There is focus to the game if that's what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

There's a rebreather upgrade you can craft, put it next to a rad or tox upgrade in the inventory and you can do some diving. Use the jetpack swim trick (from the reddit link above somewhere) and aquatic exploration becomes fairly quick and easy.

I've been on an almost totally ocean planet with just a few places to land, basically all the interesting stuff was under water. Freaky looking giant catfish / squid type creature persuaded me to move on fairly sharpish.

Sitting on 1.5 Million and going to eye up some nice ships on the station now...

I picked the Atlas thing at the start but haven't seen anything of it since, I believe it only really starts after you get off your planet?

Yes. The story-line will take you to several more planets before it really begins.

Make sure that when you get a new ship that there's some warp power available for the hyperdrive. It's handy if you can get a new ship that already has some fuel in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Eight Atlas stones now. The temptation to sell them all is ridiculous as they are worth a total of over a million to some traders. Must...resist...firesale! :p

Advertisement