Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

After wandering around planet #2 for a while it clicked that I remember seeing a ton of Emeril on my home planet, and that yes it was kinda expensive. So back to the toxi hellhole I went, hopped out of my ship and wandered mining on foot for about 4 hours. I just couldn't stop trying to see what was over the next hill. I eventually found a beacon, did some chip-recon and did more serious exploration. Ended up at a base with a trader beside 3 mountains of Emeril (Seriously they take 3-4 full weapon charges with a mining upgrade to break down), and one of them 'respawned' twice. Soo, 2 million later I bought nice trader vessel off someone who had landed at that outposts pad. It's not like the gameplay so far has been that exciting but christ it's absolute game tourism and I am loving it, every last gram of emeril widens my smile :).

Anyway if you happen across (yes I know statistically very unlikely) the Leithreas system stop by Dallas and land at Ahriakin's Respite, hopefully you will see the same masses of Emeril.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Didnt pick Atlas kinda want to now, 4 jumps in.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ponster wrote: »
    Yes. The story-line will take you to several more planets before it really begins.

Make sure that when you get a new ship that there's some warp power available for the hyperdrive. It's handy if you can get a new ship that already has some fuel in it.
    Ok, so I feel a bit like a pinball now... :) let me explain...

I bought a bright new shiny (big!) ship and it had some power left in its hyperdrive so I decided to check out the galactic map but in fiddling with it (ngggh, unnecessaraily complicated), I managed to actually JUMP to a nearby star (I think it was on a thick yellowed "star-line", is that the route to the centre?). So after a "waaheyyyy, we're off!!" moment I warped into my new solar system and have tootled about there in the starport and on a nearby planet. Not a dickiebird yet about "Atlas"!

So, my question is, how does the "story-line" take me to more planets (or indeed anywhere), right now I seem to be randomly heading to random places :)
    From reading up it seems like all the sites say just knock about and sooner or later I'll run into an anomaly... yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I dunno why anyone would pick Atlas? Who is this chump? Why should it be trusted?

DeVore wrote: »
    From reading up it seems like all the sites say just knock about and sooner or later I'll run into an anomaly... yeah?

I saw a few 'anomaly's' and avoided them. Interacted with my first after travelling through about 10 systems and racking up 12-15 hours.

They look like the Death Star only they are more pleasant. Still a shady business this whole Atlas malarky.

I reckon the sentinels are tied to Atlas bit could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I'm putting in far too much time and thought into renaming stuff. My latest notable finds are " Nervous Triceratops & Depressed Palmtree" in case you come across them.

I named all the foliage after weed plants in the Red Light District (system). All the fauna were like 'blazed boar', 'manky moose' or 'doped dog'.

7 planets in a row with no life on them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

DeVore wrote: »

So people say but few mention if it takes 5 minutes or 5 hours.

If you open the map and use Q/E buttons you can change from 'freeview' wandering to the galactic center route which I think is the atlas route. perhaps you need to warp to there ?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    7 planets in a row with no life on them.

Hey, have you warped out of your initial system yet? I saw a post on Reddit which said that if you follow the path to the center it mostly takes you to Yellow class planets which have less life on them.

• Advertisement

Ok. After spending 4 hours on planet Aoife I finally had to leave, only to get ganked by pirates. I managed to take 1 out and just before the 2nd blew up the third guy took me down.

Does anyone have any tips on what are the best upgrades for the ship? I'm loath to use up too many slots with upgrades and take away from the cargo storage needs so am trying to be smart about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Sometimes I got through a day with no crashes. Sometimes, like last night, it was every half hour or less. No clue why. The thing I'm finding more annoying actually is that sometimes when I'm taking off, it shoots me right into space instead of letting me keep exploring. Gotta go all the way back down.

Still enjoying it massively though. I'm really liking the slow drip feed of lore, gaining a bit of knowledge about the three species. As a result I find I'm mostly concentrating on finding that stuff.

Despite the instability issues, I'm definitely satisfied with my purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

mickstupp wrote: »
    Sometimes I got through a day with no crashes. Sometimes, like last night, it was every half hour or less. No clue why. The thing I'm finding more annoying actually is that sometimes when I'm taking off, it shoots me right into space instead of letting me keep exploring. Gotta go all the way back down.

This has been happening me. So annoying. I thought it was the way I was taking off but no matter how careful I am sometime it shoots me right into orbit. Pain in the behind

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's a bug. They will probably fix it next patch.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Drexel wrote: »
    This has been happening me. So annoying. I thought it was the way I was taking off but no matter how careful I am sometime it shoots me right into orbit. Pain in the behind

Happens to me too. Two things I have been doing seem to have countered it..

1. Dont keep your finger on W any longer than is needed to get the ship off the ground.

2. Dont try to fly the ship until you have safely taken off. I tend to pull up and towards the sky and I think something gets confused and thinks you are speeding towards space.

Hasnt happened to me since i started doing this and yeah, its a right pain in the goolies as its hard to find your way back to the same spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Anyone know what exploded beside me in this vid.

I didn't circle back in case I was being chased but I dont think any ship attacks you on planets.

Maybe it was just a glitch, two things spawning at once? :confused:

If you blew up the material silos and flew off and back it seems to blow up again as it remembers you've already done it.

I've had that too and thought it was a meteor or something hitting the ground but when I went to it I realised it was a silo I'd blown up earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Just a tip for anyone. Not sure if it has been posted as I can't see it.

If you are warping/pulsing to a new planet, come out of warp about 1 second to arriving at the planet, wait a second and then hit the scanner in your ship and it should pin point some trade posts/beacons/abandoned buildings on the planet in front of you.

I have noticed from time to time it wont work but you should see a little notification saying to scan the planet when at a certain distance from the planet. If you are too close or being pulled into the planet then it wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Hey, have you warped out of your initial system yet? I saw a post on Reddit which said that if you follow the path to the center it mostly takes you to Yellow class planets which have less life on them.

I just want to call special attention to this, because I had no idea:

Yellow Stars/Class G

These are the default star systems you can travel to from the start of the game. Mostly basic resources can be be found on the planets present within them, and a lot of the planets are barren.

Red Stars/Class K

You need a warp reactor sigma upgrade to travel to these stars. Planets will have slightly rarer resources on them, and more planets will be habited with fauna and flora.

Green Stars/Class E

You need warp reactor tau upgrade to have the ability to travel to these systems. They contain even rarer resources and even more planets will be tropical/lush.

Blue Stars/Class B

You need a warp reactor theta upgrade to travel to these systems. Planets will have a chance of having even the rarest resources on them, and a higher chance of being lush with plentiful plant and animal life.

In my experience, by default the waypoints to the center, Atlas interference, and black holes only traverse the yellow stars, so by following the path you will only be seeing the lower tier systems. I think it's a way to reward players for venturing off the beaten track, but I'm not certain.

Keep in mind, this is only information from my experience. But to me, it seems that the higher tier systems have a higher chance of having more lush planets with rarer resources.

So I got my Thrustmaster HOTAS working with NMS (via JoyToKey http://joytokey.net/en/download which is actually pretty good). I'm going to hook up a projector tonight and geek-out on some space-pewpews. :)

Just when I thought I'd seen everything on the planet I ran across a base with *9* landing pads, it was huuuge. I can definitely see the edges of the variance in the buildings at the moment (unless my two planets happen to be very similar) but its still pretty awesome to just fly around and find these unusual buildings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Does anyone have any tips on what are the best upgrades for the ship? I'm loath to use up too many slots with upgrades and take away from the cargo storage needs so am trying to be smart about it.

I changed to a ship which had upgrades to the phase beam. It had 3 types of advanced cooling, and 2 types of Beam Impact. This allowed me to fire off the phase beam quicker with a quicker cooldown. Takes about 4-6 hits to take a ship down. Upgrade your shields too, and have plenty of zinc or titanium to repair them. I'm currently with a ship that has 21 slots, and to be honest, most are taken up with components. I have the usual shield tech, pulse drive and hyperdrive. I have 1 extra shield, 3 extra warp drives, 1 extra pulse drive, the standard photon cannon and 5 upgrades to the phase beam. So I wouldn't worry too much about the fighting aspect until you have a bigger ship. Only now and I able to take out 4/5 ships before having to retreat, and that's mostly because I don't have enough zinc/titanium.

• Advertisement

My exosuit is on 26 slots so 30 is the final number? I have said that 3 times.

In case anyone doesnt know, find beam thingie in a base and use to scan for Shelter, if it finds a drop pod you can get an inventory upgrade from it.(can find them anyway) They increase in cost so the 27th one I get will be 150,000

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

dreamers75 wrote: »
    My exosuit is on 26 slots so 30 is the final number? I have said that 3 times.

In case anyone doesnt know, find beam thingie in a base and use to scan for Shelter, if it finds a drop pod you can get an inventory upgrade from it.(can find them anyway) They increase in cost so the 27th one I get will be 150,000

48 is the max size for your exosuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

How do you upgrade your warp drive. Is that something that I will find at an aneomely station or will i randomly find the crafting receipe?

I'm going to stream tonight on Twitch (my id is DeVoreIE) just for the giggles... probably about 9ish or there after!

Once you upgrade your ship and buy a few of those exosuit slots, you should be fine for inv space... its still tight (and like Ponster says, if you want to fight stuff, be ready to have very little cargo space) but its manageable.

I'll post again before starting the stream

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Fairly bored of this game already.

Fly to a planet , look around, scan things, mine things and then go to the next planet.

Know of a few people who have uninstalled it already.

Ill give it a few more weeks but after that i reckon it will also be uninstalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Anyone else notice a lot of crashes happening upon exiting the planet/creature collection menu? Seems to be the point where I crash the most (PS4).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    How do you upgrade your warp drive. Is that something that I will find at an aneomely station or will i randomly find the crafting receipe?

You find the recipes from the manufacturing plants scattered around the planets. Use the beacon to find the colonial outpost I think, and that might give you an icon for one, pass the test (knowing the languages helps a lot) and you get a blueprint. That's how I got the 3 warp blueprints I have. You can also get them off the Gex lad in the anomalies sometimes, but he'll have tests which means you need to have the appropriate level in the journey page (like, the most recent request he has for me is to be level 3 in survival).

Found a planet with some sort of Pearls worth 25k each, sentinels attack everytime you take one tho.

I now have a million quid and a lot of dead sentinels.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Haven't seen it mentioned, (though that doesn't mean it wasn't), but the achievements are all named after classic sci-fi stories. Some of them are fairly obvious, but there's some less wel known ones, e.g. the Sentinel was the short story that would be expanded into 2001: A Space Odyssey later, or Who Goes there? which became The Thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Yesterday i came out of warp by smashing into a space station.

All i saw was warp stop and the camera tumbling round and round. Hadn't a clue what happened until i turned the ship around and saw the space station.

2 things i hope change:

1. You can crash your ship on planets and damage it beyond repair (some actual survival)
    2. Get some decent storms MadMax style. Current storms are like wet farts.

Advertisement