Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I would like to be able to stop my ship in the air on a planet and point it down.

Also like to be able crash into planets the auto fly is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm going to go mad in a minute.

Does anyone know a way to return to your original crash site?

Similarly to a lot of people, I don't exactly remember whether or not I got that orb thing at the start and I wanted to go back and check. I already spent about an hour finding my original system and planet, and now that I'm on the planet I've spent well over an hour and a half looking for the crash site, I can't count how many beacons etc. I've visited.

I'm losing my mind, here.

Am I wasting my time? :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I would like to be able to stop my ship in the air on a planet and point it down.

Also like to be able crash into planets the auto fly is annoying.

Ships with glass in the floor of the cockpit so you can see beneath you, see where you are landing.
    I'm not sure why the system takes choice from you when you are close to the surface, in terms of control of the attitude of your ship, unless it's a way to delay you so the system can load up the data before you get to run around on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I'm going to go mad in a minute.

Does anyone know a way to return to your original crash site?

Similarly to a lot of people, I don't exactly remember whether or not I got that orb thing at the start and I wanted to go back and check. I already spent about an hour finding my original system and planet, and now that I'm on the planet I've spent well over an hour and a half looking for the crash site, I can't count how many beacons etc. I've visited.

I'm losing my mind, here.

Am I wasting my time? :P
    Not trying to be smart or anything but would you just start again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Zillah wrote: »
    I just want to call special attention to this, because I had no idea:...
    This is great, cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart or anything but would you just start again?

I really considered it..... still considering it. I might actually.
    Yeah I will.

(Probably the quickest thought process I've had :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Somebody finally got one.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I got delayed tonight so I'll leave the streaming until tomorrow I think at this stage! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Well took the plunge,bought it.

Performance on PC much better than i expected,i detailed it a little more in the PC Gaming thread if anyone wants to have a look at setup/settings.

Just landed in my first space station,after getting what i think was a decent start planet for minerals even though the decor was a little bland and was very hot during the day. Found exploring it much easier once i repaired and used the ship for travel.

The game has a retro feel imo,it kinda remimds me of what people thought space might be like in the 80's,like 80's scifi. Although the soundtrack might be influencing me there,its quite good so far and helps create moments out of most first achievements.

All in all glad i took the plunge so far,pretty muched enjoyed every moment of it so far. Actually the inventory is a bit of a pain,i find theres no point holding things like iron or carbon,yet to get a stack of zinc say takes concerted effort. Balance redress needed there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Finished the path of the Atlas.
    Handed in 10 atlas stones and created a new star! I can now see black holes on the map so
    I might start my journey towards the centre now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

For anybody having problems give this a try:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/7/360672304897578119/

Sorted the alt- tab anyway.

You can start the atlas thing later, as soon as you find a space anomaly you can start it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Is it just a question of flying about to find a space anomaly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

DeVore wrote: »

Yeah. So far I've randomly encountered them after warping to a new star system. They've been the first thing I see as my ship comes out of warping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I named all the foliage after weed plants in the Red Light District (system). All the fauna were like 'blazed boar', 'manky moose' or 'doped dog'.

You don't code for Ubuntu by any chance do you? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

DeVore wrote: »

You need to reach the first Atlas station, an anomaly will be triggered after that. So you have to do a few system jumps first, basically :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You need to reach the first Atlas station, an anomaly will be triggered after that. So you have to do a few system jumps first, basically :)

Random system jumps or have they to be in a particular direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Is there a way to remove waypoints from the universe map?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Random system jumps or have they to be in a particular direction?

If you're following the Atlas path, you'll be very clearly guided to where you need to go :)

If you're freeforming it, I'm not sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I've only managed to put in about 5 hours over the weekend. Here's Knave's story:

Attempt 1
    Loaded up and started out on what could be described as a fairly decent starting planet. Low Sentinel presence, no toxicity or radiation, slightly hot at mid 30'c. All I had to worry about was life support. Perfect. Went a wandering around crash site and discovered I was Planet Doughnut. Some fantastic looking doughnut shaped rock formations everywhere. Lovely jubbly, I'll take a screenshot and post. Didn't realise my folly in tabbing out until it was too late. Double whammy as I hadn't reached any save points. :(

Attempt 2
    After reloading all I can say is Planet #2 was a completely irradiated hell hole of a planet. Rad count was high, Sentinel presence was high, mineral deposits where low. Was next to impossible to make any real progress. Constantly repairing radiation protection, trying to find any sort of cave system to hide out in, trying to manage resources for suit protection, mining beam, ship repairs. I admitted defeat after maybe hour and half.

Attempt 3
    Yay, I made it off planet #1, hence forth and forever known as Planet Willow, in the system Wilcoomax. Have 2 checkpoints left to find and 75% complete on fauna and flora. Also need to find all the monoliths and suit upgrades. Will be returning to complete before leaving system.
    Planet 2 (of a 2 planet system) is rather toxic, but it does have an abundance of Gold deposits. Will be ferociously mined before returning to Planet Willow. Planet 2 (Planet Cooper) has a moon (Moon Max) which will be the last port of call before leaving system and onwards towards destiny.

Thoughts
    • Inventory management needs an overhaul, as most everyone has said at this point.
    • Graphics need to be optimised. Set FoV to 100 for both foot and ship, which runs fine, but coupled with increasing other settings from medium to high, and by christ does it struggle. On foot not too bad at all, a little stutter here or there, but on ship? I didn't have FPS monitoring running, but it must have been below 10. Feck that. Reset to default and FoV back to 100. No complaints there.
    • The game Itself? Very happy with the purchase. I'll rob this from Blade Runner: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Some of the visual vistas have been stunning. My current planet has these long snaking rock formations stretching from ground into the sky. I'd love to be able to fly the ship under them, just for the experience. I'm really looking forward to what the game trows at me next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The inventory is a funny one. It's not that they need a GUI overhaul - the gameplay is basically fundamentally based around inventories. Expanding your carry slots on your suit, your ship, and your multitool is your number one goal, which can lead to a lot of frustration until you get into the right mentality. It's still far from genius gameplay, but it's not bad and I don't think it's easily solved at this point.

They do need a bit of a GUI overhaul, but it's not nearly as bad as it might have been for a console port. They need more stacking, and options for reorganising stuff. And I'd prefer more slots with lower mineral capacity, so that I can keep the same total volume of more mineral types at once. 1 unit of copper taking up the same amount of space as 500 units of plutonium is kind of bonkers and counter-intuitive. It's very frustrating to try to build something that needs, say, zinc, and discovering that all that zinc I had earlier had to be sold to make room, because I had been hauling it around the galaxy not using it.

I can't get over how bad the galactic map is, though. Really, really, awkward to use. I also can't believe how consolised the flight mechanics are. Like, within an atmosphere you are practically on auto-pilot. It is impossible to even point at the ground. That's an egregious design decision given that a huge thing in the game is finding stuff on the ground and trying to land near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

On one of the planets I landed on (it may have even been my starting planet) there's a plant that has been found/named by another player.

is that unusual ?? Have me and another been on the same planet ??

I think expanded stacking will improve a whole lot of the inventory issues. Being able to carry more than one of the same blue and green item (Atlas Stones or bypass chips, for examples) in a slot may not make logical sense, but certainly would be a welcome quality of life improvement especially in the late game. Ditto minerals - expanded plutonium capacity, to give the most obvious example, would ensure you could have a reserve of fundamental resources without having to worry about them occupying three or four slots. Generally, as somebody who generally hates inventory management, I haven't found it as bad as I had feared, and some restrictions are understandable. But definitely a few tweaks would make a noticeable difference and achieve a better balance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think expanded stacking will improve a whole lot of the inventory issues. Being able to carry more than one of the same blue and green item (Atlas Stones or bypass chips, for examples) in a slot may not make logical sense, but certainly would be a welcome quality of life improvement especially in the late game. Ditto minerals - expanded plutonium capacity, to give the most obvious example, would ensure you could have a reserve of fundamental resources without having to worry about them occupying three or four slots. Generally, as somebody who generally hates inventory management, I haven't found it as bad as I had feared, and some restrictions are understandable. But definitely a few tweaks would make a noticeable difference and achieve a better balance

Yeah, a special "fuel" slot would be nice, where you can stack, say, 1000 plutonium or thalium entirely separate from the main inventory would be nice. I also think things like Atlas stones should have their own unique storage slot. Even start out with
    seven?
    empty slots so you can see how many you will need.

Also: I really want to be able to pin blueprints in a more useful fashion. It should show a list at the side of the screen, where missing ingredients are red and the ones you have are green.

As an aside, has predictably been a huge sales success and the second biggest PS4 game launch to date. That's on top of the huge Steam sales.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-15-no-mans-sky-sonys-2nd-biggest-ever-ps4-launch-in-uk

While there's no doubt No Man's Sky has had pretty unprecedented visibility for an indie game (helped by Sony's marketing support) and has a particularly unique selling point, it's still heartening to see an ambitious title from a tiny team enjoy such success and not just in the Steam space. Probably will remain an outlier, though: could be a while before any other title - even deserving ones - quite captures people's attentions like this one has.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    On one of the planets I landed on (it may have even been my starting planet) there's a plant that has been found/named by another player.

is that unusual ?? Have me and another been on the same planet ??

Most likely, the planet should be discovered by him tho?

Anyone found planets with a very valuable commodity that is protected by Sentinels ie you take it and they attack?

I have found Albuin pearls, Vortex cubes and some plant with sac venom.

Took me ages to figure out that If i slaughtered the sentinels they stopped spawning for about 5 minutes so plenty of time to pilfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Most likely, the planet should be discovered by him tho?

No, the planet was discovered by me, but when I go into the flora uploads there's one that has been uploaded by another player.
    So I'm thinking we both were on the same planet at some point. Just wondering if anyone had experienced this?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,234 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    No, the planet was discovered by me, but when I go into the flora uploads there's one that has been uploaded by another player.
    So I'm thinking we both were on the same planet at some point. Just wondering if anyone had experienced this?

Same plant on a different planet? Probably not possible though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

As an aside, has predictably been a huge sales success and the second biggest PS4 game launch to date. That's on top of the huge Steam sales.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-15-no-mans-sky-sonys-2nd-biggest-ever-ps4-launch-in-uk

While there's no doubt No Man's Sky has had pretty unprecedented visibility for an indie game (helped by Sony's marketing support) and has a particularly unique selling point, it's still heartening to see an ambitious title from a tiny team enjoy such success and not just in the Steam space. Probably will remain an outlier, though: could be a while before any other title - even deserving ones - quite captures people's attentions like this one has.

I think NMS' unique selling point is exactly why no other game will capture the publics attention like this. How many other studio's would take a gamble like this? Indie or one of the Big Boys. The big boys continually play it safe with releases. Yearly rehash of the same formula, be it FIFA or CoD or BF. Elder Scrolls to Fallout. Deus Ex / Dishonoured / Prey (Though Prey is going in a different direction to the originals. Halo, GoW. They are all the same. NMS is completely different. Procedural generation on a scale like this? I honestly don't think one of the big studios would dare touch that formula. They may be taking note of it though. See what comes of it. Does it have any staying power? If it can survive with a steady playerbase (and this will depend on what updates/dlc they have planned), the big boys may begin to toy with the formula.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

One of the systems I jumped into, I just came out of warp and these huge transport (?) ships showed up at the same time. I flew around them for a bit but didn't see anywhere to land. Then I saw a little "shoot here to destroy" indicator so I fired off a few shots. Suddenly they started firing their big cannons at me that I hadn't noticed were there and (I think) launched little defense fighters to get me*.

Now I can't go near them. Am I an idiot?

*The fighters may have chased me from another planet where I tried to shoot down another ship for its cargo. There's a lot of people shooting at me these days so its hard to keep track.

Advertisement