Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

fixxxer wrote: »
    One of the systems I jumped into, I just came out of warp and these huge transport (?) ships showed up at the same time. I flew around them for a bit but didn't see anywhere to land. Then I saw a little "shoot here to destroy" indicator so I fired off a few shots. Suddenly they started firing their big cannons at me that I hadn't noticed were there and (I think) launched little defense fighters to get me*.

Now I can't go near them. Am I an idiot?

*The fighters may have chased me from another planet where I tried to shoot down another ship for its cargo. There's a lot of people shooting at me these days so its hard to keep track.

65985187.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

[IMG]https://cdn.meme.am/ instances/500x/65985187.jpg[/IMG]

Haha! Yeah that's pretty accurate! To say I was surprised when Sentinels started following me off world is an understatement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    No, the planet was discovered by me, but when I go into the flora uploads there's one that has been uploaded by another player.
    So I'm thinking we both were on the same planet at some point. Just wondering if anyone had experienced this?

I don't think discovery counts unless you actually upload it to the server, so maybe he only uploaded that plant? Could be 12 year old who has no idea what he's doing.

Also am I the only one with no interest in naming things? 95% of stuff I just keep the default name. Unless it's a really interesting planet or cool looking animal. Plants can feck off.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So let me get this straight, you've been bombing around the place, randomly shooting up ships and stuff on planets and now are all like "why do they hate me!?" ? :):):)

If you came near me, I'd shoot you too :p >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I shot one of those ships, it had containers on the side full of goodies. I just wanted to see what happened.

All my other(2) deaths have been bugs, ship got stuck to a massive ship with a distress call, ship got stuck to a copper mountain thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

In my defense, one of the first creatures I came across looked like Pyramid head crossed with a T-Rex, so I've been a little nervous ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Can someone tell me the point in interacting with the beacons? (blue icon)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Can someone tell me the point in interacting with the beacons? (blue icon)

I think it gives you a waypoint to the nearest point with an alien at it, usually a trading outpost

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Zillah wrote: »
    Also am I the only one with no interest in naming things? 95% of stuff I just keep the default name. Unless it's a really interesting planet or cool looking animal. Plants can feck off.

I name every system I come accross....but only name the interesting planets. Mostly for other peoples benefit if they ever find them. You know if a planet is named "GoldMine" what you expect to find. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

As an aside, has predictably been a huge sales success and the second biggest PS4 game launch to date. That's on top of the huge Steam sales.

While there's no doubt No Man's Sky has had pretty unprecedented visibility for an indie game (helped by Sony's marketing support) and has a particularly unique selling point, it's still heartening to see an ambitious title from a tiny team enjoy such success and not just in the Steam space.

It's a huge sales success from such a small team of developers. I'd argue that the success is down to the hype and the preorders. To me, this game is broken. Surely the crashes were known by the devs before the release. Maybe Sony pushed them to make their release date?

I bought into the hype and I'm disappointed. It's a very good game, but I'm not impressed with the lack of variety (with gameplay). Variety which we were promised. The exploration aspect is wonderful, but a pure exploration/gathering game is a niche genre. It works when there is a reward for your exploration. I think that's something seriously missing from this game. The visuals are stunning, but procedural generation gets old very quickly.

I don't think that this time next year people will look back at NMS and call it an outright gaming success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Notorious wrote: »
    I don't think that this time next year people will look back at NMS and call it an outright gaming success.

Agreed on the rest of your post.

On this point, it'll depend on how Hello Games
    a) fixes the technical issues that are apparent (performance, graphics, inventory, flight controls)
    b) adds to what is a solid base for the game. If they add more things to do, some extra questlines, things like that, it would make the game so much more than it is now. It feels unfinished.

Of course, this is assuming that they're actually able (or willing) to do the above.

I like it for what it is, but I'm not sure if I'll stick at it as much as I'd hoped to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I didn't buy into any of the hype for this game. Infact after it was delayed for the first time, I told myself I'd ignore it until it was out. So it came out. And I think it's great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah it's a real grind. It's got the material grinding aspect of Minecraft, Starbound or Terraria but instead of the pay off being new items you can use in very creative and imaginative ways really all you are doing is crafting stat increases that make the game less obnoxious to play. It's a very poor grind loop, a step below even most MMO games.

18 quintillion planets and feck all to do in them. While I find the game intriguing I'm also getting a niggling feeling that it's wasting my time in a grind loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Does anyone get a warp issue when you build the warp drive theta on your ship and can't warp to the blue systems that requires the drive?

I know it has to be paired to the warp drive which it is but the system still says I need the drive. I am one jump away so I have no idea if this is a bug or if I am missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Does anyone get a warp issue when you build the warp drive theta on your ship and can't warp to the blue systems that requires the drive?

I know it has to be paired to the warp drive which it is but the system still says I need the drive. I am one jump away so I have no idea if this is a bug or if I am missing something?

It could be a bug. Nobody is sure. But at the moment you need all 3 upgrades Sigma, Tau and Theta installed to be able to do it.

Ha, literally spent the night trying to sort it. You're not going to like this, they need to be all installed together and next to the Hyperdrive. I can now visit the blue planets.

G3daj3R.jpg

This is after I deleted the two old ones and installed the new one in the wrong place, thinking I has the daddy of all warp drives...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That "things need to sit beside one another to reap benefits" in the inventory is a pain in the arse.

In this case it won't even work if they're not. Makes me wonder if the others actually stack/work at all if they're not beside each other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Kill Screen review for this is a beautiful piece of criticism that really gets to the heart of what has helped make this game so compelling for me anyway.

https://killscreen.com/articles/no-mans-sky-theater-processes/
    There is something quietly waiting to emerge, as you switch off your waypoint, direct your ship away from the center of the universe and warp to a star—any star. You start to see that there are classes of star, there are variations of landscape you have never seen, there are surprises big and small as well as sights both familiar and unknown. As you land on the highest point of the highest peak, or among the clustered islands of the shore, or at any point that pleases you, you see the landscape once again, but with new eyes, eyes that aren’t looking for anything but to be there, in another place, for a short while. And perhaps to come back with some stories to tell

I'm only around ten hours in, but can see myself spending a whole lot more time exploring the hell out of this fascinating universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The Kill Screen review for this is a beautiful piece of criticism that really gets to the heart of what has helped make this game so compelling for me anyway.

https://killscreen.com/articles/no-mans-sky-theater-processes/
    A bit too much of an artsy fartsy review for me :P
    KillScreen wrote:
    No Man’s Sky is a game all about frames...
    :rolleyes:

Where is the score out of 10 lol.

I am just a gamer, I am not reading a review wearing sandles while sipping on a fair trade mocha frappuccino :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Grayditch wrote: »
    In this case it won't even work if they're not. Makes me wonder if the others actually stack/work at all if they're not beside each other.

I couldn't stack mine because the Hyperdrive is nested in a corner surrounded by the Lunch Thruster and the Shield. I installed a hyperdrive upgrade (not sure the name, but it needed 800 aluminium), and now I can jump from one Atlas waypoint to the next, without having to visit individual star systems.

So it works, but haven't tried visiting a coloured star yet.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm going to stream tonight from about 8.30 if anyone is about and wants a laugh (and watch me fall down holes and get chased by buzzards).

https://www.twitch.tv/devoreie

I read somewhere that they have to be stacked beside the item (ie: boosts for your mining laser need to be beside your mining laser itself) OR next to one that is... ie you can chain boosts to each and they still count as "beside" the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,252 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Seems like piracy is a valid career option. Lots of goodies to be netted and sold, with no faction rep penalties. Just make sure you have plenty of titanium on hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,252 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

DeVore wrote: »
    I read somewhere that they have to be stacked beside the item (ie: boosts for your mining laser need to be beside your mining laser itself) OR next to one that is... ie you can chain boosts to each and they still count as "beside" the item.

They could do with an option to allow you to rearrange the items then. Too much at the mercy of rng with how they are laid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

DeVore wrote: »
    I'm going to stream tonight from about 8.30 if anyone is about and wants a laugh (and watch me fall down holes and get chased by buzzards).

https://www.twitch.tv/devoreie

how long are you going to be streaming for?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

A bit too much of an artsy fartsy review for me :P

:rolleyes:

Where is the score out of 10 lol.

I am just a gamer, I am not reading a review wearing sandles while sipping on a fair trade mocha frappuccino :D

lol they did score it really high at 87 - says so on the top of the page, i don't have me sandles on so i didnt read beyond that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Why does this game think it is ok to have something as crucial as proximity bonuses/requirements for installed mods and not tell me???

EDIT: Also do I really have to have all of them installed at once?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Bought and installed on my PC, played for an hour, horrible framerate, not much satisfaction to be had by tinkering with it, refund now pending.

I'll try again after there's been some fixes.

Advertisement