Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm going to try this Twitch streaming thing all the cool kids have been telling me about. There may be drink and swearing tho, you have been warned.

If it works I'll stream for a couple of hours or until I get too drunk. Which will possibly be sooner. :)
    https://www.twitch.tv/devoreie

Drop by and say hello and tell me how to fuel my god damn hyperdrive so I can jump!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

DeVore wrote: »
    I'm going to try this Twitch streaming thing all the cool kids have been telling me about. There may be drink and swearing tho, you have been warned.

If it works I'll stream for a couple of hours or until I get too drunk. Which will possibly be sooner. :)
    https://www.twitch.tv/devoreie

Drop by and say hello and tell me how to fuel my god damn hyperdrive so I can jump!!

Once you have a v1 Atlas pass fuelling the hyperdrive is easy as you'll pick up almost everything that you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Grayditch wrote: »
    This is after I deleted the two old ones and installed the new one in the wrong place, thinking I has the daddy of all warp drives...

Yeah I read that the drives have to be directly linked to the warp drive but all three drives are needed to warp to a Theta system?

I have only have Theta connected to the drive. If I need all three then I think I'll cry. I spent so long getting Theta and I think Tau is wanting a resource I haven't come across at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's a few steps to making the hyperdrive fuel, but it's not that hard.
    It's just the musical chairs involved in managing the ingredients that is a pain.
    I finally got the Atlas pass today myself, but I've yet to see what it unlocks.
    Too many damn toxic worlds though, like Aperture Science got the keys to universe building and threw themselves into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There's a few steps to making the hyperdrive fuel, but it's not that hard.
    It's just the musical chairs involved in managing the ingredients that is a pain.
    I finally got the Atlas pass today myself, but I've yet to see what it unlocks.
    Too many damn toxic worlds though, like Aperture Science got the keys to universe building and threw themselves into it!

You find warp cells everywhere with that thing, mainly in the round barrels.

I had 10 at one point :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,252 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The space station trading is the business. Made 5 million in about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ships never come in to land when Im in a station though, well maybe one or two if I wait around for 20 minutes...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

From the Gaming Humour thread if you havent seen it:
    Everything is really small and stunted on the planets in the game though, no forests, no mountains, no rivers, no plants taller than the player, no big animals. Hopefully it will inspire others to do it properly but that will be years away.

So....because every one is suggesting their cool money generating ideas here's mine.

I 'farm' the titanium by flying around a planet until I find a base which usually has 4 or 5 objects that can be destroyed for their platinum like this:

bqm72Ni.png

I attack one of the structures until destroyed and get 50 platinum. This activates a sentinel who attacks me. I shoot until he's almost destroyed and then let him call his friends. As soon as 3 more turn up I kill the first one and then destroy the next 3. This nets me the 50 platinum per structure + >30 titanium per sentinel and whatever else they happen to drop. As there are 5 'units' in this base I'll get at least 600 Titanium (5 x (4 x 30)) for each base of this type (as well as the 250 platinum).

Now that in itself gives you a lot of cash but I learned how to craft Lemmium at a Research Station. This requires Plutonium and Titanium. With 100 Titanium and 200 Plat I can 1 Lemming. So when I attack one of these bases I can get 6 Lemmings and at 30-40K units per Lemming so about 200-250K for about 5 minutes effort.

True, you need to be able to know how to make Lemming to make this worth it but worth keeping in mind should you know how.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The grind is starting to get to me.

Want a new ship? Dump the old one, pay for a new one up front, spend a fortune and forever upgrading the new one to match the old one.
    Want a new multitool? Dump the old, pay for a new one up front, spend a fortune and forever upgrading the new one to match the old one.

Can I sell the old one? No.
    Can I move the upgrades from the old one to the new one? No.
    Can I carry enough resources to be able to rebuild all the missing upgrades? No.
    Can I even review what blueprints I have and check if I have the resources to build them without destroying one of the installed upgrades to make a free slot? No.
    Do you seem to care what the user experience is actually like in your game? No.

So much is so good about this game but they really just don't seem to have thought about what players would like to be able to do at all.

I've just found a 17 slot multitool and I'm going to keep my 14 slot multitool because otherwise I'll spend the next five hours trying to gather the bits and pieces required to replace the missing upgrades.

• Advertisement

I'm going to try this Twitch streaming thing all the cool kids have been telling me about.

Never seen a planet/moon that had so little on it before :)

k4qyTriy1czUkYLU2fdzkf8kLtI-yFZXM6ztwr_laVbKo5m_pwXQpJe2DloRLE0VZDUNOkTGA4GsRDbbqHY7hNNTZLtIDG28wcGiiSr5IlH9rtLRi_sZGfoyysWDeng3DREKbcz95kkRCc1QmU6-CCtuipvSO0UM3MfhuN9DGXkW34j5lRUAj_VIvTd6vRyZ1vvwuJgxRdAL-eeGEtsEyGZOBKne3K7HuWTcQjajEKm-NHldWyJnPpTxG7aWyjGibHL8Hj-5hk_-aYx-lBw9rG-qEfnjRY61uqiPOJK-HhG_CDlpXeGoHYjjEQyTxBSB0ilCFs47FU5XfuwJAAl8u8Dx9PStGKW3z5PKkzPig1_-fnJCy4mKlTTbURkK7CXeBKz9KTHlgB6HQC8Zh8WbBKCfz2Mmw08m8dCWF_GpqBP4eq6fx-fSjzP36rC626uu9LFyHa159PYC5IDeXtzd10YZKX4eWmfKAiwwzty1lv5FWBFRjUB_Jh4EtICvreci5uCoONV1NKujHyt5rPRDNfdDAl_TEKylgOGt-ESa5fpSN0uzFL1AZ2UHXPd6JG2ev3xm5ISOOPCTx5a6N6ToIxzCg4u1rfwF=w1170-h867-no

Easier to find crashed ships and repair them, its free. Have picked up 5 or 6 that way.

And almost all only need heridium, zinc, iron and maybe copper/carbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Underground

Guys serious question here, I'm not on a wind up mission, just genuinely curious. What is the story with this game's fanbase?

Apologies if this has already been asked, but had a quick read through the thread and couldn't find anything on it. Anyone who follows Jim Sterling will know he has had a mare the past week or so with these guys. He gave the game a mediocre review and his site came under DDOS attacks from fans of the game. Also, a journalist who originally broke the story of the release date being delayed the first time received death threats, probably par for the course on the Internet these days but bizarre nonetheless.

I'm very curious as to how these guys became so emotionally attached in such a short space of time to a brand new IP. Was it the hype? Part of me thinks it is mainly down to the fact that a lot of people pre ordered the game and don't want to admit to themselves that this may not have been the best decision, I don't know, I'm rambling now.

Obviously not talking about anyone in this thread or anything like that, just thought I'd ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Thargor wrote: »
    Everything is really small and stunted on the planets in the game though, no forests, no mountains, no rivers, no plants taller than the player, no big animals. Hopefully it will inspire others to do it properly but that will be years away.

I've seen creatures bigger than me. Not on that scale, but twice as big as me anyway. And there's definitely mountains?
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Easier to find crashed ships and repair them, its free. Have picked up 5 or 6 that way.

Yep, I stopped buying ships after the first time. Every crashed one I've found since has been one or two slots bigger. Saving the money for suit slot upgrades instead, makes more sense since any money you pay towards a ship is lost when you upgrade it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The space station trading is the business. Made 5 million in about an hour.

How are you pulling in that kind of cash?
    Thargor wrote: »
    Ships never come in to land when Im in a station though, well maybe one or two if I wait around for 20 minutes...

Dock at station, leave ship, go to the non pass card area, return to docking bay and presto loads of ships coming into land. Gek stations have the most fugly looking ships tho.
    dreamers75 wrote: »

Every crashed ship I'v come across has 1-2 slots less than my current one :(

Every ship I've found has one or two slots more but much worse upgrades, and no way in hell I'm spending days trying to find the resources again.

Guys serious question here, I'm not on a wind up mission, just genuinely curious. What is the story with this game's fanbase?

Apologies if this has already been asked, but had a quick read through the thread and couldn't find anything on it. Anyone who follows Jim Sterling will know he has had a mare the past week or so with these guys. He gave the game a mediocre review and his site came under DDOS attacks from fans of the game. Also, a journalist who originally broke the story of the release date being delayed the first time received death threats, probably par for the course on the Internet these days but bizarre nonetheless.

I'm very curious as to how these guys became so emotionally attached in such a short space of time to a brand new IP. Was it the hype? Part of me thinks it is mainly down to the fact that a lot of people pre ordered the game and don't want to admit to themselves that this may not have been the best decision, I don't know, I'm rambling now.

Obviously not talking about anyone in this thread or anything like that, just thought I'd ask.

Assholes will be assholes I guess but rabid fans of any franchise tend to be pretty out there imho. As much as I like Sterling his taste in games is pretty odd (Mad Max being utterly trashed by him even tho it was a pretty good game) and I think he courts outrage alot of the time. DDOS attacks are so easy to do these days I wouldn't read to much into it and is almost just one step up from leaving a nasty Youtube comment.

Zillah wrote: »
    Every ship I've found has one or two slots more but much worse upgrades, and no way in hell I'm spending days trying to find the resources again.

Yeah the sheer cost in going from a 1mil 22 slot ship to a 4.5mil 28 slot, never mind a 38 mil 31 slot ship( highest I'v seen) is pretty harsh alone before even factoring in the mods and slot layout of a new ship. Suit slot upgrades make much more sense to me, but the 350k units cost for that final 48th slot would still hurt a tad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

48 slots is the biggest the ships come in yeah? I've come across 2 of them crashed so far.

34 was the biggest I found crashed, I scan whilst in space and only go for transmission towers to hunt them down.

Also if you find one and its miles away jump into space and Pulse towards it, its much faster.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ponster wrote: »
    Never seen a planet/moon that had so little on it before :)

k4qyTriy1czUkYLU2fdzkf8kLtI-yFZXM6ztwr_laVbKo5m_pwXQpJe2DloRLE0VZDUNOkTGA4GsRDbbqHY7hNNTZLtIDG28wcGiiSr5IlH9rtLRi_sZGfoyysWDeng3DREKbcz95kkRCc1QmU6-CCtuipvSO0UM3MfhuN9DGXkW34j5lRUAj_VIvTd6vRyZ1vvwuJgxRdAL-eeGEtsEyGZOBKne3K7HuWTcQjajEKm-NHldWyJnPpTxG7aWyjGibHL8Hj-5hk_-aYx-lBw9rG-qEfnjRY61uqiPOJK-HhG_CDlpXeGoHYjjEQyTxBSB0ilCFs47FU5XfuwJAAl8u8Dx9PStGKW3z5PKkzPig1_-fnJCy4mKlTTbURkK7CXeBKz9KTHlgB6HQC8Zh8WbBKCfz2Mmw08m8dCWF_GpqBP4eq6fx-fSjzP36rC626uu9LFyHa159PYC5IDeXtzd10YZKX4eWmfKAiwwzty1lv5FWBFRjUB_Jh4EtICvreci5uCoONV1NKujHyt5rPRDNfdDAl_TEKylgOGt-ESa5fpSN0uzFL1AZ2UHXPd6JG2ev3xm5ISOOPCTx5a6N6ToIxzCg4u1rfwF=w1170-h867-no
    I was just about to jump out of my seat and say "I FOUND THAT PLACE"....

... then I almost exclaimed "THAT GUY EVEN LOOKS LIKE ME..... wait a second ... -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I finally made it into the game. I wish I could say it was because of a bug or some mad hack that I need but alas, it turns out that my infinite starfield isn't so infinite. I can get into the game after 3mins or so waiting :o What has happened to me. I remember being able to wait patiently for tapes and cartridges to load but now anything past 30seconds, pah!

Anyway, I'm really liking it so far. Someone earlier called it space tourism which is pretty apt. The only thing is that I'm crap at it. I'm not copping on to how things work. The updgrade of carite sheets was just embarrassing. I scoured the land until I finally twigged that you can craft stuff!

I've uploaded my system and planet but when does the stuff under the waypoints start to fill in? My discoveries are all pretty much ???????

Also is it better to travel around on foot and discover the waypoints (I've 5/6) or go back and fix your ship? I've found some sort of manufacturing facility but I can't get in unless I destroy the door when then sends those glados eyes after me. I have 1 sentinel that has followed me around the planet. His humming is driving me mad.

?????? means an animal you havent found yet. Pro tip shoot birds as its near impossible to scan them in flight.

On foot depends if the planet isnt trying to murder you, those manufacturing things have the best blue prints. There is an Atlasv2 in one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I've found a few animals but they don't seem to register. I've just been pressing c to scan (PC), or do I need to do something else? I'm kind of annoyed because I had a great name for this baby dinos but I wasn't able to register them but I did feed one and the big smiley face on him.

Is is possible to break into a facility without the all seeing eyes knowing? I tried once but I was no match in combat for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the biggest concern he brought up is publishers and PR firms actively creating these toxic fanboys knowing that they can do far more to advertise the game or their agenda than they can on their own. Sony has been pretty big on cultivating this kind of zealot PR. It's very strange to see and not healthy at all but it's been very effective for them. They've now got this white knights of the industry thing going on with people defending them on any criticism against them. You see the same happening with comic book movies, look at the bull**** over Suicide Squad, a mediocre to terrible movie with devote loons trying to boycott review aggregator sites.
    Venom wrote: »
    Assholes will be assholes I guess but rabid fans of any franchise tend to be pretty out there imho. As much as I like Sterling his taste in games is pretty odd (Mad Max being utterly trashed by him even tho it was a pretty good game) and I think he courts outrage alot of the time. DDOS attacks are so easy to do these days I wouldn't read to much into it and is almost just one step up from leaving a nasty Youtube comment.

Thought he was on the money with Mad Max although I really hate 'Arkham' combat games. When that's your main gameplay hook I'm going to think it's muck.

wyrn wrote: »
    I've found a few animals but they don't seem to register. I've just been pressing c to scan (PC), or do I need to do something else? I'm kind of annoyed because I had a great name for this baby dinos but I wasn't able to register them but I did feed one and the big smiley face on him.

Is is possible to break into a facility without the all seeing eyes knowing? I tried once but I was no match in combat for them.
    Press F to analyse them (you need an analyser on your gun, if you don't have one its easy to craft). you can use Right-Mouse to zoom in if you are too far away. Shoot birds with your mining laser (don't even bother with the bolt gun option, its impossible to hit birds with it). When you kill one, go analyse its corpse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

One thing I didn't find amazing is the soundtrack, it has it's moments, but 50 hours plus in and there hasn't been many wow moments with it. It's not bad, just not anything to write home from the trading post about. I just stuck Spotify Synthwave playlist on, does the job better for me.

Press F to analyse them (you need an analyser on your gun, if you don't have one its easy to craft). you can use Right-Mouse to zoom in if you are too far away. Shoot birds with your mining laser (don't even bother with the bolt gun option, its impossible to hit birds with it). When you kill one, go analyse its corpse :)
    Quick question all...? Here is my tale of woe.

I am almost certain I picked the Atlas option at the start.
    I redeemed the pre-order ship before I got the blueprint for hyperdrive but I'm aware I need to be careful not to buy a ship without one.
    I then bought a ship with a hyperdrive and fuel and jumped to a nearby sun. So far so good.

Now apparently the Atlas guy is back in the first system and while I can jump there, I cant *find* it on the galaxy map. Should I just continue jumping and ignore it, or is there any way to go back to the original system? (Dav ironically alerted me to this issue but I jumped by accident the first time because there is no "Are you sure you'd like to hurl yourself through interstellar space Y/N" check when jumping :( ).

So, should I just press on, or try to go back... or any suggestions?

When you find a space anomaly (just a special station, with no explanation) you can ask the guy in there to find an Atlas relay and he'll set you right. So I am told.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    When you find a space anomaly (just a special station, with no explanation) you can ask the guy in there to find an Atlas relay and he'll set you right. So I am told.
    Thanks, this video also seems to give a good explanation of it... I'm going to keep jumping and see what turns up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWtsmTBbUNk

Advertisement