Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

To each his own, I have 29 hours in it since eh.. Friday? I just discovered a bunch of Atlas stuff, got lured into an ambush by pirates and dove into the sea to retrieve a blueprint I needed. Also finally found that anomaly with Polo on it... Its a relaxing sort of "experience" and one I think is not for everyone but I've definitely had 60 euros worth of enjoyment out of it this weekend, no question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd go as far as saying it's the first AAA priced game in a while where I've felt I've gotten every cent of my money's worth so far.

The game is as much a grind as you make it. The opening hours are a tad slow, but I also think that helps ensure that your first lift off, your first warp jump actually feel meaningful and disorientating. After that, and maybe after securing a few upgrades, you can easily just ignore any grinding, upgrade paths, Atlas quests etc and go do with you want. A bit of basic resource gathering just to keep you topped up, but the stuff you need to just survive and fly away is pretty low maintenance stuff TBH. It reminds me of Proteus on an infinitely larger scale - where I can just wander, and engage with the systems as much or as little as I want during any given hour or two of play.

I spent the last few hours of play mucking around a resource rich planet, and ultimately had some substantial upgrades to show for it (plus a new ship). But next time I boot up I'm just going to say **** it and see where I end up. I have an upgraded warp drive and plenty of fuel cells. The Atlas path will wait. I'm not going to worry about upgrading my inventory or anything, just going to find some interesting stuff. To a certain degree, you have to shake off old gaming habits - this is a game where you can't see everything, where you can't collect everything. So screw it - just do a few warp jumps and see what happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Does anyone know how to remove waypoints from the universe map?

Every time I
    ask for a shortcut, i.e. the location of a black hole, I get to the universe map, it says it's found a thing, and then nothing. No waypoint, because there are already five on the blasted screen and I can't delete any. Or can't figure out how to

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

A fair damning dissection of what was show cased prior to launch and what was ultimately delivered here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y046e/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list/

Can only hope that these features can be patched in later on, a-la Minecraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yup cause reddit is where i read my game reviews these days.....

Personally about 8 hrs in and still enjoying the game,if its not for some thats ok. No game ever appealed to absolutely everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

So I have just read, and it makes perfect sense based on my experience, that apparently multitools and crashed ships are designed deliberately to only ever be marginal upgrades. My multitool is 14 slots, and I've passed up four or five 17-slot tools, deciding they weren't good enough to warrant the headache/cost of replacing all the upgrades. Well it turns out I'm never going to find a better one. I have to take the 17, and then maybe I'll find a 19, and then maybe a 22 etc.

Crashed ships also supposedly will always be slightly above or below your current ship, thereby wasting all the God damned time I've spent chasing crashed ships hoping for a good one.

I don't understand how anyone smart enough to write this procedural code can be stupid enough to enact such awful game features.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That stuff is the equivalent of throttling in a racing game.
    Completely ruins a sense of a vast universe and makes it apparent that there's a hand at work ensuring no one gets to find a true advantage, instead looking for hard work and the promise of that work paying off in the next life.
    Maybe Hello Games are really a bunch of Christians making an atypical subtle point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Can't you deconstruct your enhancements / upgrades?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

d31b0y wrote: »
    Can't you deconstruct your enhancements / upgrades?

Yeah but you lose resources.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

A useful Reddit post on Warp Drives and how they work.

Default hyperdrive with no upgrades lets you warp to Yellow stars (Class F or G).

Sigma upgrade lets you warp to Red stars (Class M or K).

Tau upgrade lets you warp to Green stars (Class E).

Theta upgrade lets you warp to White/Blue stars (Class O or B).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Zillah wrote: »
    I don't understand how anyone smart enough to write this procedural code can be stupid enough to enact such awful game features.

I can only presume their thinking was that once you've gotten the 48 slot ship and fully kitted out multitool/suit then you're pretty much just exploring, there's no progression. They didn't want the possibility of someone finding one straight away and having nothing left to do bar explore.

I can see the logic ... but it's still bloody stupid. Exploration is supposed to be the aim of the game I thought, not grindy tooling up your gear.

It's one thing grinding gear upgrades in Terraria for example because there's lots and lots of different bits of gear, different weapons and playstyles stemming from them. In this it's just straight space upgrades. Not the most exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭Wossack

I think they missed a trick making the ships so disposable. I have no connection to my ship at all, and would jack it in in an instant for a space dump truck if it had more slots.. seems at odds to the traditional (preferable imo) scifi trope

I really hope the game gets full mod support, as at the moment, it feels like a bit of a tech demo, with a lot of 'that'll do' design decisions

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Wossack wrote: »
    I really hope the game gets full mod support, as at the moment, it feels like a bit of a tech demo, with a lot of 'that'll do' design decisions

I think that it will, or else mods will provide the devs with good ideas to move forward.

I'm using "Remove chromatic aberration, vignetting" and "ShutUp"

www.nomansskymods.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I'm gonna wait till they iron out a few issues

:rolleyes:

I reckon that the price will fall a lot on Steam soon and also on PS store . I'll decide at a later date on what platform to buy.

Ponster wrote: »
    I think that it will, or else mods will provide the devs with good ideas to move forward.

I'm using "Remove chromatic aberration, vignetting" and "ShutUp"

www.nomansskymods.com

Well, apparently the rush of people desperate to fix all the stuff wrong with this game have killed the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

A fair damning dissection of what was show cased prior to launch and what was ultimately delivered here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y046e/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list/

Can only hope that these features can be patched in later on, a-la Minecraft.

Seems the post was deleted :(

Probably shouldn''t have gone and made the popcorn :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭maximoose

Shougeki wrote: »
    Seems the post was deleted :(

Probably shouldn''t have gone and made the popcorn :P

You can view it here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Gamers must be the most discerning consumers out there. Honestly, if everyone spent as much time as Gamers seem to in scouting their purchases, agonising over whether to make said purchases and using said analysis to make an informed and emotionless decision on whether to proceed with said purchases, then the world would be in a much better place economically.

I would hate to see a Gamer trying to buy a car or a house. The agonising and deliberating involved must be unbelievable.

I think it's because of a few different things. First of all, the hours invested: if something is a little bit annoying once, then if I am going to do it twice every minute for a total of, say, 60 hours, it gets multiplied by thousands, which can lead to seemingly disproportionately strong opinions on seemingly trivial things. Secondly, because it's a single player experience, I think people feel entitled to have it polished and customised, especially when it's a question of the devs saying "No, you are not allowed to do it that way, you must do it this way for arbitrary reasons". That causes a sense of aggravation, because really I am the only one playing my game, no one else gets any enjoyment out of how I do it, so you don't feel like you should have to compromise.

Finally, expectation: imagine you were buying a house, or having one built say. And you follow the construction for months, and the architect keeps telling you about all the awesome stuff it will have - like a fireplace, a slide, a pool, hard wood floors - and when you finally move in it's got, like, 20% of those things, and it turns out that he was either lying or being absurdly optimistic about most of it. You'd feel entitled to complain then.

I am very much enjoying the game but there are lots of elements that are needlessly bad. Not even technical challenges they failed to overcome, just bad decisions they made about gameplay.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I can only presume their thinking was that once you've gotten the 48 slot ship and fully kitted out multitool/suit then you're pretty much just exploring, there's no progression. They didn't want the possibility of someone finding one straight away and having nothing left to do bar explore.

I can see the logic ... but it's still bloody stupid. Exploration is supposed to be the aim of the game I thought, not grindy tooling up your gear.

It's one thing grinding gear upgrades in Terraria for example because there's lots and lots of different bits of gear, different weapons and playstyles stemming from them. In this it's just straight space upgrades. Not the most exciting.
    I dunno that you need to do this tbh...

I have upgraded my exosuit to the maximum slots pretty easily. I bought myself a 21 slot ship that I REALLY like the look of (looks like the old SciFi series, Space 1999 (see below)) and I'm pretty much gonna stick with it to the end I think. I will upgrade the ship to be able to jump further and to all the stars and that's probably that for me, I'll head to the centre. I'm sure by then I'll have a sh*t-ton of money (I already have a few mil sitting in the bank) and I'll buy something huge, as one time upgrade and go pirating for a laugh. If your ship has enough slots to install the kit you want (and 21 is plenty!) and your suit can carry everything you are going to harvest in between times you hit a galactic shop (which are everywhere tbh!) then what more do you need?

Don't carry around shield units etc, you can make them easily enough or buy them with a fraction of the value of Emeril or Gold you could be putting in that slot instead. I have something like 42 slots in my suit now and that's plenty for harvesting. Don't feel like you need to grind this game to get the best stuff... that's not the fun part. Expand until you aren't restricted and then second star on the right and straight on till morning :)

space_1999_eagle_blender_3d_by_timzero4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Gamers must be the most discerning consumers out there. Honestly, if everyone spent as much time as Gamers seem to in scouting their purchases, agonising over whether to make said purchases and using said analysis to make an informed and emotionless decision on whether to proceed with said purchases, then the world would be in a much better place economically.

I would hate to see a Gamer trying to buy a car or a house. The agonising and deliberating involved must be unbelievable.

I assumed you were being ironic, but now I'm not so sure.

I can't think of a less discerning group of consumers than gamers. They're forever buying apartments in Bulgaria off the plans. Show them a few seconds of video footage and they'll fire money at you for the promise of something years hence, that they should know from experience will never be delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The Gaming Humour thread is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

DeVore wrote: »
    Don't carry around shield units etc, you can make them easily enough or buy them with a fraction of the value of Emeril or Gold you could be putting in that slot instead. I have something like 42 slots in my suit now and that's plenty for harvesting. Don't feel like you need to grind this game to get the best stuff... that's not the fun part. Expand until you aren't restricted and then second star on the right and straight on till morning :)

The thing is, its not really 48 slots for either suit or ship, its 48 slots minus the amount of upgrades slots like life support x3 (must have), sprint x3 and jump pack x3. There won't be such a huge amount of space left after those get taken out of the equation!

Why on earth would you get the life support and sprint upgrades? I'd get sprint if it made you faster but it just lasts longer. Life support can be topped up as needed.

Y'all know about the melee/jet pack trick? I couldn't play the game without it now. You sprint forward, then tap melee, and immediately activate the jet pack. You will now be skimming forward at a very high speed. Makes me feel like a proper spaceman scouting a new world. I will have a rage meltdown if they patch it out. It's probably a bug but what a wonderful bug. Regular walking feels like moving through knee-high mud now.

I think it's because of a few different things. First of all, the hours invested: if something is a little bit annoying once, then if I am going to do it twice every minute for a total of, say, 60 hours, it gets multiplied by thousands, which can lead to seemingly disproportionately strong opinions on seemingly trivial things. Secondly, because it's a single player experience, I think people feel entitled to have it polished and customised, especially when it's a question of the devs saying "No, you are not allowed to do it that way, you must do it this way for arbitrary reasons". That causes a sense of aggravation, because really I am the only one playing my game, no one else gets any enjoyment out of how I do it, so you don't feel like you should have to compromise.

Finally, expectation: imagine you were buying a house, or having one built say. And you follow the construction for months, and the architect keeps telling you about all the awesome stuff it will have - like a fireplace, a slide, a pool, hard wood floors - and when you finally move in it's got, like, 20% of those things, and it turns out that he was either lying or being absurdly optimistic about most of it. You'd feel entitled to complain then.

I am very much enjoying the game but there are lots of elements that are needlessly bad. Not even technical challenges they failed to overcome, just bad decisions they made about gameplay.

As much as I'm having a ball playing this game and have no regrets of buying it (60 quid for a PC game is not cool and 10 more than it should of cost tho ) there is a valid case of NMS being very bait and switch in how it was portrayed and still is on Steam.

As much as this games white knights claim otherwise, Hello Games hyped and demoed a way more advanced game than players got. The various E3 demos, interviews and other media dealings by the company leave alot to be desired and were totally misleading to the customer.

The debacle over multiplayer on day 1 (it's just a shared database of who discovered stuff first) and the wishy washy BS from the devs just proves this and lets not forget scanning planets from orbit, giant sand snakes and much cooler ship combat and interaction which were seen in demos just a few months ago.

Ubisoft have gotten tons of **** over stunts like this in the past and Hello Games and Sean are more than deserving of the same treatment.

Why on earth would you get the life support and sprint upgrades? I'd get sprint if it made you faster but it just lasts longer. Life support can be topped up as needed.

Y'all know about the melee/jet pack trick? I couldn't play the game without it now. You sprint forward, then tap melee, and immediately activate the jet pack. You will now be skimming forward at a very high speed. Makes me feel like a proper spaceman scouting a new world. I will have a rage meltdown if they patch it out. It's probably a bug but what a wonderful bug. Regular walking feels like moving through knee-high mud now.

Maxed out Life support last hours and stops the AI bugging you every ten minutes and for me changes the game to more exploration rather than survival based.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I assumed you were being ironic, but now I'm not so sure.

I can't think of a less discerning group of consumers than gamers. They're forever buying apartments in Bulgaria off the plans. Show them a few seconds of video footage and they'll fire money at you for the promise of something years hence, that they should know from experience will never be delivered.

I just find it amusing that lads who would have no problem spending 60 quid on a friday or saturday night in the pub suddenly become incredibly careful when it comes to spending 60 quid on a game. Count back on how many posts are people talking about whether they should take the plunge. You'd swear some were about to invest the life savings. Same sort of thing throughout the reddit page also.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think I'm done with the game for now. I feel like I've seen everything that there is in the game from a gameplay point of view in the first two hours. There might be an infinite variation of planets but on those planets you're only ever going to see the same six structures and crash sites, and after that it's not much more than a resource and inventory management game. I mean it's cool landing on a new planet and seeing what colour everything is and looking at some weird animals, but after that, you're back to the exact same grind you've completed on every single other planet.

Hopefully Hello Games continue to support the game and add substantial content because after six to nine months of continuous support, this game could be great, but it definitely needs more variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I just find it amusing that lads who would have no problem spending 60 quid on a friday or saturday night in the pub suddenly become incredibly careful when it comes to spending 60 quid on a game. Count back on how many posts are people talking about whether they should take the plunge. You'd swear some were about to invest the life savings. Same sort of thing throughout the reddit page also.

What was the last game you bought for 60 quid?
    plenty of women game too Peist :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

DeVore wrote: »
    I dunno that you need to do this tbh...

I have upgraded my exosuit to the maximum slots pretty easily. I bought myself a 21 slot ship that I REALLY like the look of (looks like the old SciFi series, Space 1999 (see below)) and I'm pretty much gonna stick with it to the end I think. I will upgrade the ship to be able to jump further and to all the stars and that's probably that for me, I'll head to the centre. I'm sure by then I'll have a sh*t-ton of money (I already have a few mil sitting in the bank) and I'll buy something huge, as one time upgrade and go pirating for a laugh. If your ship has enough slots to install the kit you want (and 21 is plenty!) and your suit can carry everything you are going to harvest in between times you hit a galactic shop (which are everywhere tbh!) then what more do you need?

Yeah, I agree. It's kind of what I was saying. Upgrading your ship via grind isn't the point of the game, exploration and enjoying that is.

However, the way they've implemented it means that you do have to do a bit of a grind to upgrade the ship (if that's what you want, obviously).

I've found two crashed ships, both one slot less than my current ship. I'd be more likely to keep going for transmission towers if I knew there was a chance to get something really big than just a 1/2 slot upgrade (or less/the same).

Advertisement