Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭Wossack

no way to get fuel back out of a module right? my main bugbear when repairing a crashed ship :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Yeah, I agree. It's kind of what I was saying. Upgrading your ship via grind isn't the point of the game, exploration and enjoying that is.

However, the way they've implemented it means that you do have to do a bit of a grind to upgrade the ship (if that's what you want, obviously).

I've found two crashed ships, both one slot less than my current ship. I'd be more likely to keep going for transmission towers if I knew there was a chance to get something really big than just a 1/2 slot upgrade (or less/the same).

Crashed ships will only ever be 1 level lower or 1-2 levels higher than your current ship. The same applies to multi-tools tho personally Iv had a hard time finding place that even offer them never mind the new one being an upgrade :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Venom wrote: »
    Crashed ships will only ever be 1 level lower or 1-2 levels higher than your current ship. The same applies to multi-tools tho personally Iv had a hard time finding place that even offer them never mind the new one being an upgrade :(

Most planetary stations that have an alien in them will have a Multitool upgrade on the wall. In a red storage box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

What was the last game you bought for 60 quid?
    plenty of women game too Peist :)

I meant "lads" in a general sense rather than only addressing males. There are more female gamers than male gamers in my own family.

Last game i bought for 60 was Hitman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Maxed out Life support last hours and stops the AI bugging you every ten minutes and for me changes the game to more exploration rather than survival based.

Yep, upgraded my life support to +3 and it's one of the most welcome upgrades I've installed. Heavily cuts down on the amount of times you need to top up, so encourages exploration without the regular pinging for a plutonium top-up. Particularly handy on planets that drain your life support super quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

green man gaming already offering 15% off the game.

not trying to bash, but that doesn;t suggest sales have held up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The game is grand but a lot of the PR fpr it was/ is total bullshìt.

Does anyone else find Sean Murray to be incredibly annoying? Amazing how some people seem to be treating him as some sort of messiah with his Quintillion planets. He has been very misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

J Mysterio wrote: »

Does anyone else find Sean Murray to be incredibly annoying? Amazing how some people seem to be treating him as some sort of messiah with his Quintillion planets. He has been very misleading.

Yes. This so much. The PR for this game was a load of utter bollox that they hoped people wouldn't cop on to, 'cause they could just turn around and say, "the game is so big you probably didn't find this stuff yet."

Also, with the amount of crashes, it feels like an early access free Steam beta test at best. I am enjoying the game, but only when I actually get to play it. However that level is dropping and it moreso maintained now by trying to finish it so I can trade it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

He seems like a bit of a moron alright. Even in some of those interviews when he was playing games and what not with his colleagues / staff, I swear you could see his staff cringing whenever he did anything. Kind of like watching your little brother / sister playing a game and thinking to yourself "What the f*ck are you doing? Why are you doing that? Don't do that, it's not how it works. Why did I even get stuck babysitting you? It's not like I am getting paid for it."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I meant "lads" in a general sense rather than only addressing males. There are more female gamers than male gamers in my own family.

Last game i bought for 60 was Hitman.

and ye were probably looking forward to that for a while yeah?

• Advertisement

Most planetary stations that have an alien in them will have a Multitool upgrade on the wall. In a red storage box.

Cheers mate :)

20160817155808_1_zpsgoe2ruuu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I know that, and I think it's bloody stupid as it misses what the fun point of the game is - exploration, not grinding ship upgrades.

Quintillion planets me hole. Not only was the game only out a couple of hours when we saw Reddit users find each other and try and meet up to discover there's no multi-player but some boards.ie user found a system discovered by another Boardsie!

Take into account the amount of Irish players, on the same platform, using the same message board and the odds should be literally out of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Speaking of exploration: I think having space stations and literally thousands of outposts on every single planet is probably not conducive to the sense of exploration.

I know that, and I think it's bloody stupid as it misses what the fun point of the game is - exploration, not grinding ship upgrades.

Yeah but it would be pretty unbalanced if you found a top tier ship on the starter planet. The mistake the devs made was not letting items like Atlas passes or the other non mined items stack. It turned the exploration part of the game into a total grind for suit and ship slots for no real gameplay worthy reason.

Yeah but it would be pretty unbalanced if you found a top tier ship on the starter planet.

There's no reason to leap to that extreme either, though. They've set it at the most stringent variable possible: any ship you find is going to be almost exactly the same size as yours. They could easily tweak it so that 1 in 10 will be 5 slots bigger, with the rest more in the -1 to +2 range. At least that way there is a chance of something exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In fairness to them, they did a great job in really saying very little about the game. They dropped enough nuggets to make the game sound like something truly ground-breaking and then left a hungry audience to fill in the gaps for themselves.

If they had come out and said that ‘it’s a limited survival game with space exploration’ or ‘it’s a 3D Starbound’ people wouldn’t have cared. In fairness to them, with such a limited team it seems to me like they worked out the tech to create the universe and then bolted on a game to it.

I dunno, I paid €60 for it, feel like I’m done for now but don’t really mind that. I’ll come back in six months or so and hopefully things will be really fleshed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Yeah but it would be pretty unbalanced if you found a top tier ship on the starter planet. The mistake the devs made was not letting items like Atlas passes or the other non mined items stack. It turned the exploration part of the game into a total grind for suit and ship slots for no real gameplay worthy reason.

As I said in a previous post, I understand their reasons, but I think it's forcing the player down the route of grind to improve their ship size. In a game where you can find 18 quintillion planets and a super discoveries of flora/fauna/beautiful vistas, you should also be able to get lucky and find an amazing ship.

Personally, I think they're focusing on the grind and not the good points of the game - the exploration, visuals and the things you find on planets (weird animals, outposts, etc).

Agreed on the inventory, the stacking options are stupid and inventory management is not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

The patch coming soon seems to only address stability issues, but there is meant to be another one coming soon - they would do very well to address the inventory shortfalls. Just apply a higher starting point for lower level ships and suits.

In something like Skyrim or Witcher, I can pretty much tell what I can dump when I am overburdened, but in this, everything SEEMS worth keeping, initially...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Found a planet with excellent floating islands.

73O79rR.png

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »
    The patch coming soon seems to only address stability issues, but there is meant to be another one coming soon - they would do very well to address the inventory shortfalls. Just apply a higher starting point for lower level ships and suits.

In something like Skyrim or Witcher, I can pretty much tell what I can dump when I am overburdened, but in this, everything SEEMS worth keeping, initially...

I'm running the Steam beta update of the game and its smooth as silk with only AA and shadows not maxed out on a R9 280X. Only 1 crash so far in 20ish hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I've gone from thinking this was amazing, to being disappointed, then bored and thinking it was all a bit 'ocean of content as deep as a puddle'

I've come full circle and now I'm completely addicted and stuck right in. Ive taken to visiting worlds and only investing the time to explore when they seem worth it.

Would love to see them add in colonised planets, city's and the like. Even if you had to enter a loading bay to disguise that they weren't proceduraly generated. All that's missing from no mans sky is somewhere where the planet has been made a home to life other than the natural creatures if that makes sense.

I loved the 4 hours or so I put into the game last weekend and am eager to find the time to get stuck back in. I have yet to even leave my home planet and just been wandering around and enjoying the sense of scope and discovery. I think that far too many people hyped up the game and expected something that no game could really deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

This game is pathetic; 9 crashes in two hours. I dont think any other game Ive played has crashed 9 times period.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Danonino. wrote: »
    I've gone from thinking this was amazing, to being disappointed, then bored and thinking it was all a bit 'ocean of content as deep as a puddle'

I've come full circle and now I'm completely addicted and stuck right in. Ive taken to visiting worlds and only investing the time to explore when they seem worth it.

Would love to see them add in colonised planets, city's and the like. Even if you had to enter a loading bay to disguise that they weren't proceduraly generated. All that's missing from no mans sky is somewhere where the planet has been made a home to life other than the natural creatures if that makes sense.

Yeah, I went on a journey myself
    From disappointed to bitterly disappointed.
    Then some grudging enjoyment
    Followed by several hours of non-encouraged happiness
    Now I'm simply enjoying it but not quite having fun yet.
    I am concerned about how long they can keep the attention when much of the gameplay seems to be already revealed, in the current game build at least.

The space battles need context, and a reason to become invested in one side or the other, with some sort of reward/risk for being for the Gex or whatever.
    The rocky planets need cities, oceans to explore.
    I repeat my call for gas giants and ring systems.
    And an Elite style fuel scoop, for collecting fuel from a close pass of the sun.

They could offer it to players in a restarted game or in the next one, preserving our progress so far.

Really, they should look to Elite Dangerous for inspiration, it lacks the on foot/in atmo planet experience but it gains in the feeling of being in a vast, almost infinite universe but with lots of opportunity and a role to take in the bigger picture.

I'm waiting to see what this is all about:
    https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/765327116317646849

Depending on the changes, this may be a fairly quick trade for me.

Pretty sure it's going to be a bunch of technical improvements. I'll be a monkey's uncle if there are any significant gameplay changes. Even GUI is going to be unchanged is my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

A fishing rod!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I'm fairly sure that they are referring to the PC patch that has been available on Steam for a few days now allowing some who could not play to launch the game and improving on gfx issues.

Not sure what the patch would mean to PS4 folk but 1 week after launch is way too early to expect any new content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

So far I'm actually enjoying it. Someone earlier referred to it as Space Tourism. I've spent about 7 hours bopping around my crashed planet learning the lingo. Starting to get a bit bored of that now, so I'll take off.

I'm not liking the lack of slots. I get what they are trying to do with it but it's fierce annoying. I can barely carry anything. I've found a few upgrades and I can't use them. One seems to have disappeared because I didn't have space for it. I dumped some stuff and now it's gone.

I wish you could "fix" certain location points in your HD so that they don't disappear. I miss having a map or even a compass.

Advertisement