Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I find the grind in both similar.

What's great about fallout is that you can ignore the grinding aspect. If you don't want to get involved in upgrading/building settlements, then don't. It won't effect the games story at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Fallout, and the related Skyrim, have scripted adventures in every corner, with side missions and, essentially, dungeons built by the game designers to provide a little adventure arc in the various nooks and crannies of the games, quests to drive you forward to gain experience both in terms of classical adventure levelling points and in the sense of gaining time with the games systems and getting simply better at playing it.

No Man's Sky just doesn't have this quality, and it's a pity as there are plenty of games, like the Diablo series, that have procedurally generated dungeon crawls at their heart.
    It would be fantastic if you found one of the ubiquitous cave systems and, therein, had a little quest to the bottom of it with enemies and allies along the way, no reason why such a mechanic can't be built in, with inventory expansions and better equipment as reward.

The caves were disappointing I have to say. I used to go in and explore everyone I found but soon realised there was nothing at all worthwhile in them. Should be very easy to add quests and stuff like that into them you would imagine.

Lets hope it comes as an update and not DLC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Venom wrote: »
    So last night I jumped to the next system on the Atlas path and ran smack bang into one of those space red alerts events which had 31 fighters attacking 3 battleships. After taking out a few of them I hightailed it to the nearby space station as 27 v me just aint my kinda odds :)

Was raging afterwards I didn't take a screenshot but after hearing so much guff about the game not having any big space battles, I was totally shocked to be in one so unexpectedly.

Sounds like watching BSG and the Cylons jumping in to attack!

I know we can't believe much that the dev team at Hello Games say, but in a pre-release interview Sean Murray said there'd be no DLC for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I find the grind in both similar.

I'd say the grind is way more like early Destiny. Infact I'd say it's influenced by that a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Did anyone come across a ship with a square style hud yet?

I found one abandoned last night and changed into it from my pre-order ship.

To talk about Venom's post above, about the space battles. As soon as I spent an hour getting that square hudded ship back to flying form, I warped to the next star system and stop in front of a space battle myself. Saw about 10 ships dogfighting, and not realising what was going on, I activated the pulse drive a went to the nearest planet :D

There's still a mark out in space about a distress signal coming from within the fight area. I'm going to check it out, when I boot it up tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

So the PC Patch is now up on Steam, will update as soon as I get home, hope it makes things a LITTLE more stable...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

and ye were probably looking forward to that for a while yeah?

Not at all actually, why?

Dickerty wrote: »
    So the PC Patch is now up on Steam, will update as soon as I get home, hope it makes things a LITTLE more stable...

Seems to work pretty well for me anyway, I put it on the beta build last night.
    I'm now getting a lock at 60, whereas it was all over the place before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Fallout, and the related Skyrim, have scripted adventures in every corner, with side missions and, essentially, dungeons built by the game designers to provide a little adventure arc in the various nooks and crannies of the games, quests to drive you forward to gain experience both in terms of classical adventure levelling points and in the sense of gaining time with the games systems and getting simply better at playing it.

No Man's Sky just doesn't have this quality, and it's a pity as there are plenty of games, like the Diablo series, that have procedurally generated dungeon crawls at their heart.
    It would be fantastic if you found one of the ubiquitous cave systems and, therein, had a little quest to the bottom of it with enemies and allies along the way, no reason why such a mechanic can't be built in, with inventory expansions and better equipment as reward.

This and lots of other things - like the lack of engagement with the races, the lack of any real event for the Atlas finale, the superficial trading, the empty starbases, the lack of multiplayer - more than anything shows the difference between indie and AAA. They have a small team, who have limited time and limited skills, and it is now screamingly obvious why huge games need huge teams: if they don't then there are yawning chasms where gameplay features should be.

I've enjoyed myself with it, I'm almost done, but I don't think it has justified its price tag. Deus Ex is coming out soon and that only costs 50, and when I think about how big a team that has, how many voice actors there will be, how many detailed, custom tailored areas there will be, how many powers and upgrades and animations, I really feel like I've been suckered a bit by Hello Games. They did not deliver on half of what was promised, either explicitly by Sean or implicitly in trailers and demos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Ended up trading in my copy today today into cex got 49 euros back for it I felt u was rubbing cex getting that much back for it.

I enjoyed it at the start but then it basically became the same thing over and over again and I was very board. I would have loved to have found villages and get attacked by them or become friends with them. I know loads of people who got the game we all loved it at 1st 10 hours later we where all board. There was so much the game could have done but it just did not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Zillah wrote: »
    shows the difference between indie and AAA. They have a small team, who have limited time and limited skills, and it is now screamingly obvious why huge games need huge teams: if they don't then there are yawning chasms where gameplay features should be.

I've enjoyed myself with it, I'm almost done, but I don't think it has justified its price tag. Deus Ex is coming out soon and that only costs 50, and when I think about how big a team that has, how many voice actors there will be, how many detailed, custom tailored areas there will be, how many powers and upgrades and animations, I really feel like I've been suckered a bit by Hello Games. They did not deliver on half of what was promised, either explicitly by Sean or implicitly in trailers and demos.

There are indie studios that comprise of a few people and even a few one man teams that have made games with more content than NMS. With todays engines, team size is an advantage but not a necessity.

The bottom line is, this game has been in development for years and they have made missteps. Some pretty big ones regarding how the game plays.

I've played it since launch and have enjoyed certain aspects of it but my critique of the game on day 1 stands up. The gameplay loop of mine, refill metres, warp, upgrade, mine more, warp more, is all there is to the game. There is nothing else.

Ultimately, they could make changes to the game that don't require more dev time or work.....just different decisions.

For example, there are yellow, red, green, and Blue stars. The green and blue ones offer more lush planets to see but 90% of the playerbase will never see them because the game never explains the difference......they are gated behind the theta warpdrive upgrade.......and the automatic "line to the centre of the galaxy" only includes yellow suns.

That's a design decision and its a piss poor one. And the inventory situation is something that should've been addressed years ago. You want there to be an upgrade path. Make the player feel better and stronger. But you don't want them feeling frustrated so early on by inventory management. Design choices.

Then there is the static world. There are 3 races and they don't do anything. You enter a space station or outpost and they just stand there. You answer a puzzle and they give you stuff. That's it. There is no other interaction. They don't walk about, they have no purpose. It's like NPC's from the 90's. There is no excuse for that.

Your criticisms for the game are spot on and I agree with them. Don't attribute that to a tiny team. My favourite game of last year was made Moon studios...a team smaller than Hello games and a hell of a lot better in its execution. There are tons of indie dev's who create masterful experiences. Size is not the reason. Lack of talent or design mistakes are.

There's a difference between horrible decisions they made (plenty, like grindy inventory gameplay, floating-through-treacle-autopilot) and things they just didn't have the time and resources to put in (faction interaction, more stuff to actually do on planets).

Both are their responsibility and I hold it against them, the former because they should have had more feedback on alpha builds and discovered how miserable their mechanics were, and the latter because they were lying about what would be included right up to the release.

Lack of resources I could kind of forgive if it wasn't for all the lying. They should have planned better for what was going to actually be manageable, and done fewer things, but better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

1.04 is out btw. I have no idea what it does, because there is no patch notes yet. But its out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Kirby wrote: »
    1.04 is out btw. I have no idea what it does, because there is no patch notes yet. But its out.

He really is the oddest developer I've clocked eyes on this generation. Very awkward individual.

It's hardly common for patch notes to not be released right away?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

dreamers75 wrote: »
    The 1st option is towards galaxy core, the 2nd is Free roam,The 3rd option is Atlas, the 4th is Black Holes (if you have found one). No idea that the 5th one is.

Go to the 3rd and move the waypoint in the direction of the atlas, thats where you need to go.

I honestly have no idea what you're referring to. I don't really see options.

I'll have a play around later tonight to see if I can figure it out. It shouldn't take figuring out, needless to say.

I'll have a play around later tonight to see if I can figure it out. It shouldn't take figuring out, needless to say.

Press L1/R1 inside the galaxy map.
    Q/E on keyboard I think.
    This will change the type of guidance you are being given by the game! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

lol the game tells you nothing :D

look at the top of the pics.

1st Path to Core
    http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/267223073108944517/164AF3AD1B3094FBAB9FE503602F54CB746DCC95/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A1152&background-color=black

2nd Free Explore
    http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/267223073108944335/06A6D666FE81FD29AF2CCE6056A5B72462E2FDD5/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A1152&background-color=black

3rd Atlas Sometimes it say it, sometimes it doesnt but its the 3rd one always.
    http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/267223073108944030/37C161A116FA82804125B5AC60855DFCA89C06D8/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A1152&background-color=black

4th Waypoint (no idea why both say waypoint but Rb/LB is very laggy on that screen for me) thats pointing to a black hole I will be going into.
    http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/267223073108944190/DFF0024F3915627E7A7C62053F9BF63B4BB75F70/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A1152&background-color=black

No clue what the 5th one is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Kirby wrote: »

These came out a few days ago when the experimental version was released on Steam

Improved AMD Phenom Support:

Thousands of lines of assembly have been rewritten to support AMD CPUs. The game code no longer relies on anything above SSE 2; Havok Physics has also now created new libs. Game is now confirmed working on Phenom CPUs.

Mouse Smoothing:

Smoothing on mouse movement has been improved to prevent hitching or stuttering, and is now adjustable through the Options menu in "Mouse Smoothing." It now defaults to off. If you feel the framerate is "slow" or "lumpy," please make sure that this is turned off (it helps players with sub-30 frames per second).

Improved Performance:

On CPUs with 4 threads or fewer, performance has been improved. On CPUs with 8 threads, performance has also been significantly improved.

Radeon 6xxx:

Added support for this GPU, which doesn't support OpenGL 4.5 fully.

Player Saves:

Help to recover some player saves which had been lost or corrupt.

Alt-Tab has improved:

Some systems/configs were crashing or not pausing correctly on Alt Tab. This should now be resolved.

Shader Caching:

Framerate was initially stuttering due to shaders not being correctly cached by the GPU on some systems. We have replaced the GPU caching system. You may notice some stutter during the Galactic Map intro to the game (the very first time you run), but it should be smoother from then on (this will be fixed in future). This is particularly true on ATI cards.

Max FPS Cap:

On some CPU/GPU configurations, setting Max FPS to 60 or 30 was not giving 60 or 30 FPS (causing stuttering). This has been improved.

Intel GPUs:

The game will now let you know if you are trying to run with an unsupported GPU. This will hopefully flag for some users that their high-end GPU has not been selected. We are working on Intel GPU support.

G-sync:

G-sync has been disabled by default, which was causing an issue for some users.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

And for PS4 gamers...

It's the PS4 patches that have no patch notes. V1.01-V1.04 just says "Bug fixes" and that's it for the 4 patches so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

dreamers75 wrote: »

I think the latter couple of waypoints are custom ones you set yourself.

Set a waypoint to a random star system and see if it shows up, I'm nearly certain that's what it did for me unless I looked at it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I can't set or delete waypoints. Humbug. And for me Atlas is the fifth one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

And for PS4 gamers...

It's the PS4 patches that have no patch notes. V1.01-V1.04 just says "Bug fixes" and that's it for the 4 patches so far.

Vague. Not much of a change for Hello games :D

With the patch installed (on PS4) I'm having constant crashes occurring while I warp to another star system. Pretty frustrating.

Notorious wrote: »
    With the patch installed (on PS4) I'm having constant crashes occurring while I warp to another star system. Pretty frustrating.

68rl8t.jpg

And for PS4 gamers...

Vague. Not much of a change for Hello games :D

Sounds exactly like the documentation I write for my code too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

He really is the oddest developer I've clocked eyes on this generation. Very awkward individual.

Phil Fish still wears that crown :p

Tried to load a save: first crash since launch.
    Try to dock at station: get catapulted out of ship and smash into wall.

Nice patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That shooting up orbit from a basic launch boost is incredibly annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Iluvjazzmasters

Lads have any of you had those problem with a new ship? Photo cannon at 0% and can't recharge but still shoot, and the phase beam everytime I shoot hurts my ship instead. Is this a bug?? I just updated 1.04 patch on ps4.

Advertisement