Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well Elite was a build your own adventure type of affair, with the goal being your rating, from Harmless to Elite and that was enough.
    Obviously 30 years have passed and we do expect some sort of goal, and presumably they have something in place.
    But ...
    If the game has a decent variety of engagements, space, land and sea, and a direction to it all, it should be awesome.
    Just want it now!
    The Elite sequels didn't have much focus on your rating IIRC. Pity about the incomprehensible (a.k.a. realistic) physics model!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It sounds to me like a far more enjoyable and interesting version of Elite Dangerous and I'm all for that. Bitterly disappointed with E:D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was a big fan of Mercenary back in the day, the original one.
    I'd love to see that kind of thing, explorable planets with structures and dungeons available.
    Given the random location of the starting point of the player it seems there won't be a strict story line as we might see in Skyrim or Mass Effect, though I do know it's an entirely different game but the need for some sort of direction or objective is needed to avoid boredom setting in.
    Without an objective and regardless of the spectacular surroundings, one can get browned off, even wonder can wear off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I was a big fan of Mercenary back in the day, the original one.
    I'd love to see that kind of thing, explorable planets with structures and dungeons available.
    Given the random location of the starting point of the player it seems there won't be a strict story line as we might see in Skyrim or Mass Effect, though I do know it's an entirely different game but the need for some sort of direction or objective is needed to avoid boredom setting in.
    Without an objective and regardless of the spectacular surroundings, one can get browned off, even wonder can wear off!
    Something like Skyrim would be great:

''You must go to such and such planet and speak with the elders''.

'Ok lets go! This quest should be easy! Oh hey there's something neat..'

*30 hours later*

''Right, where was i going?''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Something like Skyrim would be great:

''You must go to such and such planet and speak with the elders''.

'Ok lets go! This quest should be easy! Oh hey there's something neat..'

*30 hours later*

''Right, where was i going?''

something like skyrim would be awfull
    I don't know how people can play that game without mods, its terribly boring and nothing but fetch quests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Nothing wrong with liking skyrim IMO,plenty of people enjoy the game with and without mods.

To me it looks like it could be more Minecraft than Skyrim though.

Although everytime i look at the game i just think i hope it invents its own new style of gameplay thats uniquie to No Mans Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I wouldn't be a fan of the Skyrim comparison just because I don't think Skyrim does exploration particularly well.

I just remember a lot of tombs/caves looking extremely similar so I wouldn't be as interested in exploring.

But No Man's Sky looks like a wonderful place to go and explore.

Id have to disagree with Skyrim not having a world worth exploring,i thorughly enjoyed just exploring the world. I do agree the game had its faults alright,but they were not enough to stop me relly enjoying the over all experience.

Id agree though that i wouldnt want NMS to just be skyrim in space. Everything about it looks pretty unique so far and id hope the gameplay mechanics are similarly unique and fresh. I can see why people draw comparisons to other games but overall i havent seen anything that looks to combine all the elements NMS does so thats why i think it looks unique.

At this stage i wonder will it be pushed back to 2016. Id love it if they just announced it will be out in a month or something but the further we get towards the end of 2015 i feel thats less likely to happen. Id rather a delay though than get something that is not ready.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I didn't play enough of Skyrim really but I played a shed load of Oblivion.
    A vast landscape and a simple off path wander can reveal ruins, a stone stairway and 3 hours of your life gone.
    Not only this but some of the side quests were even better than the main campaign.
    If they could generate, effectively, this kind of storytelling in No Man's Sky then it could be incredible.

Thats one of the features i relly liked about Oblivion and Skyrim,stories and quests could be come across organically. Like you said there was nothing forcing you to go off that path,you decide to just take a peek and you find something interesting you decide to investigate and end up in a quest or a dungeon.

Id agree if they can recreate that organic storytelling it would be amazing,procedural generation would make that nearly impossible though i would think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

EoinHef wrote: »

Id agree if they can recreate that organic storytelling it would be amazing,procedural generation would make that nearly impossible though i would think?

Definitely not impossible. Just very hard to do... and perhaps we don't have the right technology to do it properly just yet. I mean in terms of software, not hardware.

Well, the Chalice dungeons in Bloodborne demonstrate that it is possible to put together challenges randomly that are almost as much fun as the main game.

The other thing that interests is becoming embroiled in larger conflicts, choosing perhaps missions from.each side, attack here, defend there, scooting past blockades and smuggling, a proper Captain Mal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

At least some people got the analogy.

I'm no fan of the type of quests you get in Skyrim.

I am a fan however of the devilment you can get up to through exploring while on said quests. Something leading you in a general direction always gave you a sense of progression.

No Man's Sky is on IGN firsts this month.

The main reason I mention that is generally it's a good sign of us getting a release date.

I remember other games that are on this are usually released relatively soon after (2-3 months) as they had Bloodborne and the Witcher roughly a month before they were released.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Switch it down to 720p or wait for a youtube link.

tok9 wrote: »
    Switch it down to 720p or wait for a youtube link.

yeah I will wait for youtube link. Usually is up within an hour or two

Watching him go into the galaxy and just going around looking at different stars is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

This must be very close to release with the amount they are now showing off.

• Advertisement

Cant wait...looks awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The more I see of this game the less interested I become. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Not liking what I'm seeing at all. Just don't think this will interest me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Where is the fun?
    I got enough of stocktaking when I worked in Retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

My mind is still blown over how big and complex the procedural world is. I'm far more excited about this sort of open world than something like the last few TES games.

My one concern is over what the player will actually spend his time doing. I have zero interest in spending more than a few seconds mining rocks, and I think scanning new life forms will be of extremely limited interest going forward. We've only seen a little of the space combat, but it did look very fluid and flashy, so there's that.

I'm a little worried that in any of the videos we've seen they've referenced "points of interest" but the only one they've ever gone to was an upload station. I've yet to see any real content beyond "ooh, isn't it pretty?" sort of stuff.

If they can make get the gameplay down right so that I am excited to go new places and discover new things, upgrade my ship etc, I am super excited about having such a large and truly undiscovered world to do it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Zillah wrote: »
    If they can make get the gameplay down right so that I am excited to go new places and discover new things, upgrade my ship etc, I am super excited about having such a large and truly undiscovered world to do it in.

The problem with procedural generation is that this is extremely difficult to achieve and highly unlikely. Procedural generation may be able to produce huge areas that are near infinitely varied in a literal sense, but to the actual human eye it won't be long before you feel like you've been there an done that and everything's the same.

You need a human hand to populate the universe with interesting things, and when the universe is as large as theirs, that's not possible either. So what you're likely to get is the sprawling galaxy of sameness, with some hard coded places of interest that everyone flocks to, ultimately rendering the giant galaxy sort of pointless.

If the gameplay is solid it could make it worthwhile, but so far it just seems to be walking around scanning stuff, taking off and flying somewhere else, then walking around and scanning more sort of similar stuff. With maybe some shooting thrown in.

I dunno, meh.

Perhaps people have been spoiled,
    Elite on the BBC, C64 and Spectrum was incredibly compelling and it was a far simpler game than this.
    Buying, selling, exploring and fighting, the scope if this gets things right is limitless, and I can't wait to play it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Perhaps people have been spoiled,
    Elite on the BBC, C64 and Spectrum was incredibly compelling and it was a far simpler game than this.
    Buying, selling, exploring and fighting, the scope if this gets things right is limitless, and I can't wait to play it

Ah, to be fair, it was a far simpler time then as well in terms of peoples expectations. text based adventures were compelling too but we've moved on. even then new Elite game has been criticised for being somewhat shallower than people wanted it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

This certainly looks interesting and it's an exciting development for gaming in general, but developers can't even fill a virtual city yet without resorting to irritating fetch quests and repetitive spot-challenges. I don't think they're ready to tackle a whole universe. I hope I'm wrong, but this could turn out to be a lot of directionless go-getting.

Edit: I should qualify that by saying that it looks incredible and I'll definitely be spunking €70 on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

€70

I'm sorry, what?

Advertisement