Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 iseedeadpeople

Happened me on PC. Had over 13 hours played, had to delete my saves and start again. I had a support ticket with them and haven't got a reply after a week.

Best advice delete your save and start again.

What a pile of ****e that is. I've over 20 hours down. Played on in system I was in expecting the promised patch last Friday that's addressed sweet FA. Standards in game design have really gone down. This and the horrific arkham knight on pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

What Im gleaming from this guys, is its not really worth the purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Charizard wrote:

I've upgraded most of my gear and now I'm bored. Completed one of the objectives and it was so awful I'm not even bother about finishing the game.

Will hold on to it and see if they can patch it into something decent.

Not a terrible game, just not for me. Got a few days enjoyment out of it, but it has gotten stale very quickly, and don't feel I've gotten my money's worth.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Notorious wrote: »
    I had the same issue. After switching ships, I was given the plans for a hyperdrive after speaking to a few NPCs. Didn't take long for me to get it. I'd suggest going to a space station, or using a bypass chip on one of those location beacons to find a settlement.
    Tried all this and was starting to get sent to locations I had already visited. Even got one of the warp drive upgrades but sadly no hyperdrive. I have the saves in a seperate folder in case they ever fix it.
    What a pile of ****e that is. I've over 20 hours down. Played on in system I was in expecting the promised patch last Friday that's addressed sweet FA. Standards in game design have really gone down. This and the horrific arkham knight on pc

Yeah it's pretty painful alright when this stuff happens. I wouldn't be expecting them to fix it anytime soon either as I think their priority is to fix its stability and general buggyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

After putting about 40 hours into the game I very suddenly found myself completely bored and exhausted of it. The repetition suddenly reached tipping point. There's so much wrong with it.

Atlas ended with nothing. They seem to have never sat down and thought about what any of their thousand crappy unenjoyable mechanics would be like for the player. I was determined to document all life on at least one planet before I finished, and it took an absurd amount of time, but I got it eventually, and there wasn't a single fanfare, no acknowledgement at all. This is a game that will have obnoxious milestone announcements that take over the screen and disable your interface for everything from how far you've walked to how many aliens you've said hello to and it doesn't even acknowledge one of the core pitches of the game (discovering life).

You're not exploring, there are space stations and alien bases everywhere. There are no deserts, tundra, rivers, mountains, chasms, forests, plains, dead worlds...the lack of variety within the scope of the planets is actually amazing. Every world is either rolling hills with no water or rolling hills with lots of water. Even the worlds that you are told are barren of life have loads of scenery plant life around, including the caves. Also caves look identical on every planet, no variety.

I might have put 40 hours into the game but they weren't very satisfying and I won't remember them fondly. I looked up what happens at the centre of the universe on Youtube and it's a ridiculous non-event. So, so glad I didn't spent hours and hours warping again and again trying to reach it myself.

I haven't even mentioned all the lies and missing features. For now I'm mostly aggravated by how unenjoyable what we did get was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I played about 50-60 hours, maybe more. It's weird, I just turned it off the yesterday and said I'm done. Not in frustration or anger, I enjoyed my time with it but it really was an oddly instant thing. That's enough of that. Thanks and g'luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I think the size is the killer. Interesting and cool planets are there, I've been on them. Problem is you have to visit 15+ (maybe even 20+) before you hit one that everything lines up. Where the game falls hard is the fact I have already had stretches of hours where every planet visited is uninteresting and the core game underneath it all isn't enough to keep you roped in.

Half the grind is finding somewhere that you can actually feel interested exploring. Problem is most, myself included visited too much and seen too much of the first few planets landed on instead of making forward progess so are burned out.

Today I was on the first planet I seen where one side (end, hemisphere I guess) was roasting hot with dust storms causing heat damage while the other end was freezing with constant cold damage and storms.

Another had possibly the best mixture or earth like colours, grass and thick tree cover mixed with alien like rock formations and huge long Canyons. I have a screen shot of another where it looks like giant AT-ATs are roaming, the rock formations were insane. I should take more screens.

When you land on a planet that just works the genius of it all comes together. You want to see everything, scan everything. What they have is a fantastic idea that wasn't given enough time to fulfill its promises and really needs to be scaled back and given some direction.

I'd rather visit planets that were unexplorable due to being gas balls of hell or a tiny planet devoid of absolutely everything but worthless rock.
    Instead every planet is obviously coded to always allow a certain amount of resources and be a certain size etc.
    You get stranded in a planet? Tough, you die there and arrive back at the hanger with a stock ship and make your way back there but bring supplies this time to collect your grave and ship. Instead the planets feel like they are there only to hold monoliths and stations, unless you luck out and find a winner.

I say this yet have played a sickening amount even though I occasionally groan at the repetitiveness and bloat they added to feign longevity.

I feel bad for the dudes who bought the game and only have seen ****e planets and think thats as good as it gets.

Edit: wow that was a rambling load of words.
    TLDR: The system for planet variety and the core essentials for every planet needed more work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Zillah wrote: »
    After putting about 40 hours into the game I very suddenly found myself completely bored and exhausted of it. The repetition suddenly reached tipping point. There's so much wrong with it.

Atlas ended with nothing. They seem to have never sat down and thought about what any of their thousand crappy unenjoyable mechanics would be like for the player. I was determined to document all life on at least one planet before I finished, and it took an absurd amount of time, but I got it eventually, and there wasn't a single fanfare, no acknowledgement at all. This is a game that will have obnoxious milestone announcements that take over the screen and disable your interface for everything from how far you've walked to how many aliens you've said hello to and it doesn't even acknowledge one of the core pitches of the game (discovering life).

You're not exploring, there are space stations and alien bases everywhere. There are no deserts, tundra, rivers, mountains, chasms, forests, plains, dead worlds...the lack of variety within the scope of the planets is actually amazing. Every world is either rolling hills with no water or rolling hills with lots of water. Even the worlds that you are told are barren of life have loads of scenery plant life around, including the caves. Also caves look identical on every planet, no variety.

I might have put 40 hours into the game but they weren't very satisfying and I won't remember them fondly. I looked up what happens at the centre of the universe on Youtube and it's a ridiculous non-event. So, so glad I didn't spent hours and hours warping again and again trying to reach it myself.

I haven't even mentioned all the lies and missing features. For now I'm mostly aggravated by how unenjoyable what we did get was.

This +100. On the plus side I got €57.50 on the trade-in yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Charizard wrote: »
    I already feel like I've gotten my money's worth and know I'll keep playing, for a while anyway. Good podcast game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

GodlessM wrote: »

CEX or Gamestop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

GodlessM wrote: »

I really wish I didnt buy a digital copy of this.

With Sony behind it and after pushing so hard I see them throwing money and maybe funding Hello games outsourcing some tasks if the game sold well enough. The base is there and I'd love to see it expanded upon (not the size of the universe ha ha that should shrink imo)

I don't think it's for everyone but I think it has something going for it in a lot of ways. I hate grind fests, hate extended spells of time sink yet here I am, mining Nickle like a dope to hopefully buy that awesome ship I once saw a billion light years away.

Destiny was fairly ****e when released too. I hope No Man's Sky pulls a street fighter 4 and in a year+ gets tweaked to an awesome level, instead it might be Street fighter X tekken, where €65 gets you a bore and the expansion was worse.

At least No Man's Sky is devoid of micro transactions and other nonsense last gen brought. It is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I really wish I didnt buy a digital copy of this.

I never trade games in, but if I'd a physical copy I'd give this back in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Danonino. wrote:
    Destiny was fairly ****e when released too. I hope No Man's Sky pulls a street fighter 4 and in a year+ gets tweaked to an awesome level, instead it might be Street fighter X tekken, where €65 gets you a bore and the expansion was worse.

Eh... SFXT was awesome :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't think it is, certainly not at €60. Pertly feels like a kind of cult-hit Steam indie game that has been hyped beyond all proprtion.

In terms of gameplay I head someone desrcribe it as Animal Crossing in space, without the customisation and loved that description.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Danonino. wrote: »
    With Sony behind it and after pushing so hard I see them throwing money and maybe funding Hello games outsourcing some tasks if the game sold well enough. The base is there and I'd love to see it expanded upon (not the size of the universe ha ha that should shrink imo)

I don't think it's for everyone but I think it has something going for it in a lot of ways. I hate grind fests, hate extended spells of time sink yet here I am, mining Nickle like a dope to hopefully buy that awesome ship I once saw a billion light years away.

At least No Man's Sky is devoid of micro transactions and other nonsense last gen brought. It is what it is.

I'd love to see this happen but don't think it will. Unlike NMS, Destiny is a game with a huge developer with long-term plans behind it along with the money to implement the changes needed. The PC version had mass refunds on Steam so overall I just don't think the player base is there to warrant the amount of development time this game requires.

I'd put NMS's lack of micro-transactions down to Hello Games not being in the position to implement such a feature properly, rather than any noble vision on their part considering how shady they have been regarding this game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

What does "mass refunds" mean in figures? Not hyperbolic internet rage comments but in actual numbers.

fixxxer wrote: »
    Eh... SFXT was awesome :-/

No. No it wasn't. €80+ on that pile of nonsense, the hype was real, the roster was great. Gems.... Cough... Jabs... Cough.... A billion mechanics that turned what could have been a deadly game into a mess. Urghhh

“People always talk about us being the game with space dinosaurs in it or whatever, right?” Murray continued. “Even those, they will be one in a million—like genuinely one in a million, like 10-percent of 10-percent of 10-percent of 10-percent of 10-percent, right? But even then, even though they’re one in a million, 90-percent of the time they should be a boring version of that. And we save the crazy interesting creatures for not one in a million, but one in a hundred million.”

“People always ask that, and like…I’m really hesitant because I just think if that’s the experience that you’re after, play a different game,” Murray said. “It’s not an MMO. Yes, other people are there, playing, but no. You could, and I think if that happens—when it happens—for people it will be a little bit like Journey, or like Dark Souls—just a nice, full moment when you know that you’re playing with other people. But I don’t think we will even highlight it."

The first is what I read and was worried and is probably my biggest issue, the second is what people are so worked up about. He should have specifically explained that physically meeting other was impossible, not improbable.

The game is not worth the €65 entry fee but I'm very glad I bought and experienced it as it can only lead to interesting things. Just gonna get to the atlas finish line and trade in for €50 and wait to see where they take it.

Danonino. wrote: »
    The first is what I read and was worried and is probably my biggest issue, the second is what people are so worked up about. He should have specifically explained that physically meeting other was impossible, not improbable.

I remember in the week leading up to the release, Sean Murray was on multiple sites showing people footage of the game. One presenter asked him what would happen if two people meet. Sean explained how there'd be no messaging, or 'questing' together. But yes, you could kill each other.

Surely he knew by then that even seeing another player was impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Danonino. wrote:
    No. No it wasn't. €80+ on that pile of nonsense, the hype was real, the roster was great. Gems.... Cough... Jabs... Cough.... A billion mechanics that turned what could have been a deadly game into a mess. Urghhh

Well if you didn't understand it that's fine, it was a bit more complicated than the usual SF guff. It took a while to learn but it was worth it for the great game there.

fixxxer wrote: »
    Well if you didn't understand it that's fine, it was a bit more complicated than the usual SF guff. It took a while to learn but it was worth it for the great game there.

Nah it wasn't as bad as I made out. Still though. It was a crushing disappointment for me at least. Jack X was amazingly fun if that counts for something :)
    I still have it actually. That and soul calibur 5 were on heavy rotation for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

from 212,620 playing on steam to around 40-50k, ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Decided that I wouldn't get too swamped in finding all the animals on any one planet unless I'm hard up for some units. Much better for it. used to find all but one species on a planet and ramble arounf for a couple of hours trying to find it. You'd swear that it was intentionally timed before the last species shows it's face.

For anyone who didn't know, and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in here before, but if you're struggling for some words, everytime you visit an Atlas Station the glowing orbs scattered throughout on the floor give you words for each language as you approach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

When you realise one procedurally generated planet is as good as the next one but with different colours......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Notorious wrote: »
    I remember in the week leading up to the release, Sean Murray was on multiple sites showing people footage of the game. One presenter asked him what would happen if two people meet. Sean explained how there'd be no messaging, or 'questing' together. But yes, you could kill each other.

Surely he knew by then that even seeing another player was impossible.

I really don't think it's fair placing the blame on Sean Murrays feet here. I get the feeling it's something he really wanted to do with the game but he had Sony breathing down his neck to get it out the door since they had no big releases other than NMS for months if it got delayed anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

What does "mass refunds" mean in figures? Not hyperbolic internet rage comments but in actual numbers.

728k people have bought the game, the median of playtime is 4 hours so obviously we will never know the refund status but you have to have played the game less than 2 hours to get it.

http://steamspy.com/app/275850

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

The writing really was on the wall with this game.

Like many i was fascinated and intrigued by the idea - exploring a never ending randomly generated universe seemed like something that i would never tire off. The lack of content was always going to be a problem. Having such a large universe is great if there were cities and other players flying around that you could interact with, but having such a dead and ultimately boring universe negates all of what made the game so initially appealing.

If it seems to good to be true......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The underlying procedural technology really is fantastic. I just feel like we're at about 40% of a genuinely brilliant game. If they expand on the procedural process so that there are actual solar systems, where the planets are more distant from each other, and their position to the sun matters, and there is real variety, like open deserts and huge mountains, or tundra with driving blizzards, etc - make it really feel like each environment is a real one - then that would be phenomenal. Then spend a very long time creating a lot more engaging gameplay content, rather than the same five buildings that present literally nothing more than different flavour text.

They hit some of this right on the nose; the rest, not so much.

Also, random complaint: why were the environmental protection techs so stupid and useless? Why not just make it an upgrade that reduces that type of hazard by 25%/50%/75%? That way you land on a radioactive planet and go "Aha, I am so glad I upgraded my radiation resistance!" As it is, it's just a second way to spam cheap resources at another nagging prompt. One that doesn't even show up on the HUD. I have no reason to not just use the suits normal hazard protection and keep that topped up, while saving, what, six or more inventory slots? So much they didn't seem to think through at all.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really don't think it's fair placing the blame on Sean Murrays feet here. I get the feeling it's something he really wanted to do with the game but he had Sony breathing down his neck to get it out the door since they had no big releases other than NMS for months if it got delayed anymore.

I agree with you and I'm not trying to have a go at Sean and the team. With such a small team they've managed to achieve a lot. What they promised was a monumental task for such a limited team.

I can only imagine a big company like Sony can't be the easiest to work with (though reports say they can be quite reasonable, while Microsoft are the devil). Although it's hard to be overly sympathetic towards the guy when he's bending truths about the features available in-game, after the game has gone gold and it's days away from being released.

Advertisement