Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really don't think it's fair placing the blame on Sean Murrays feet here. I get the feeling it's something he really wanted to do with the game but he had Sony breathing down his neck to get it out the door since they had no big releases other than NMS for months if it got delayed anymore.

I disagree. Sean was the spokesman for this game from day 1 and has outright lied and mislead people and offered only the most vague of responses now he is being called on his BS. Him wanting to do something amazing with NMS is one thing but he has continued to mislead people well after it was obvious things like the multi-player element would not be there at launch and that's if it ever was even planned to be in the game.

The NMS game players got, is nothing like what was advertised and demoed, even only a few months ago and just that's not acceptable business practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Venom wrote: »
    I disagree. Sean was the spokesman for this game from day 1 and has outright lied and mislead people and offered only the most vague of responses now he is being called on his BS. Him wanting to do something amazing with NMS is one thing but he has continued to mislead people well after it was obvious things like the multi-player element would not be there at launch and that's if it ever was even planned to be in the game.

The NMS game players got, is nothing like what was advertised and demoed, even only a few months ago and just that's not acceptable business practice.

Sorry, have to take issue with you stating that it was nothing like advertised. It is mostly as such, some stuff...yup definitely hyperbolae, wishful thinking or simply gone from indie magic to AAA machine hype but the game is mostly as it was expressed from the early days. The end result, far from perfect, far from what you'd expect from a truthful AAA game but that wasn't how this began. If nothing else NMS is the absolutel epitamy of a victime of it's own success. But that success was in wowing everyone 2 years ago. The victim part comes from being a part of the god awful practice of platform exclusives(ish) and the machine behind it hyping it beyond itself.

The man was out of his depth on that. What they delivered is really fkn good, it's less than we expected, less than the machine portrayed it as but jesus stop acting as if he convinced you to walk off a cliff looking at your wallet for guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I really don't think it's fair placing the blame on Sean Murrays feet here. I get the feeling it's something he really wanted to do with the game but he had Sony breathing down his neck to get it out the door since they had no big releases other than NMS for months if it got delayed anymore.

As someone who refunded this early, fair fks for being...well...fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Its was pretty low for Sean to wait until the night before the game release to say "By the way, the game doesn't have multiplayer".

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/762688708764135425

Nice of him to be so transparent when everyone has paid for their pre-orders and the game has shipped :rolleyes:

Why couldn't he say that a week ago, a month ago, a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I'm kind of torn on this. By myself, I think I'm at the point where I've played enough. It was fun up to this point but the sameness is taking hold.

The only reason I still play is its a sort of co-op game with my 5 year old. He spots things on the planet for me to investigate while I fly around, we give names to the creatures, that kind of thing.

I think once he gets bored I'll trade it in. I might come back if there are any big updates but for now it's done I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just playing a spot of NMS on the PS4 followed by Elite on the XB1,
    NMS feels more like an interactive toy at this point.
    A nice way to pass the time but not objective based at all.
    Ended up spending an hour mining gold and selling it.
    Played Elite for a similar period and took on an anarchist contract to destroy local law enforcement craft and tool a drive around a local moon, plus the contract system has had a big overhaul and is quite familiar to those of us who played the Amiga and PC editions.
    All in all, it is a much better game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just playing a spot of NMS on the PS4 followed by Elite on the XB1,
    NMS feels more like an interactive toy at this point.
    A nice way to pass the time but not objective based at all.
    Ended up spending an hour mining gold and selling it.
    Played Elite for a similar period and took on an anarchist contract to destroy local law enforcement craft and tool a drive around a local moon, plus the contract system has had a big overhaul and is quite familiar to those of us who played the Amiga and PC editions.
    All in all, it is a much better game.

Funny you mention elite. It's another game that ended up being a disappointment for me but when I got fed up of nms I went back and have been playing elite and really enjoying it. Different games really but elite is a lot lot better

Drexel wrote: »
    Funny you mention elite. It's another game that ended up being a disappointment for me but when I got fed up of nms I went back and have been playing elite and really enjoying it. Different games really but elite is a lot lot better

I keep meaning to get back into ED and finish up A rating my python but every time I plan on doing so, some crap like super combat AI bugs and having to grind out engineer upgrades for all my ship components, puts me right off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Just found Emeril City. Just mine and sell or can it be used for crafting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Apologies for the length here, it is fittingly not a game that really befits brevity.

Trigger warning: this post contains some nice words about No Man's Sky.

TL;DR - w00t space exploration!

Anyway.

You know that moment with the giraffe in The Last of Us? That's a great shared spine-tingling moment, very clearly designed and choreographed for maximum emotional/aesthetic impact for pretty much every player who has been engaged up until that point. My favourite games of this year (and it has been a remarkable year for games) - The Witness, Inside, Quadrilateral Cowboy, Stephen's Sausage Roll etc - are similarly 'authored', where every scene, puzzle, beat, vista... seems thoroughly considered. Inside, for example, is as polished and linear as you could get, where you can't break from the designer's line - and it's wonderful. No Man's Sky is different. The 'holy ****' moments in No Man's Sky are impressive because they feel unique - while they're governed by rules and design for sure, there's a randomness and individuality to them that are remarkably potent and effective.

These moments are surprisingly frequent for me - when the artists' hands, the procedural rules and my own perspective gel together beautifully. It's encountering a picturesque lake occupied by shoals of fish and a solitary, majestic shark. It's that crimson sunset where the silhouette of a two-storey high preying mantis dinosaur marches on the horizon. It's stumbling across a mysterious ruin against a skyline dominated by a massive moon, or a magnificently deep cave chamber. It's just stopping in the middle of a vast, overwhelming plain as the dynamic soundtrack hits a perfect tone. It's a uniquely gorgeous, lonely and overwhelming game. A wholly authored game could never achieve what No Man's Sky achieves, and that's a good thing and the game's greatest achievement (well, apart from nailing that feeling of being able to just hop in your ship and fly off planet so seamlessly, which was always THE single most essential hook of No Man's Sky). Absolutely the limitations and restrictions of the algorithm become clear as you play, but really this is a game created by a few humans so they can't perform full-on miracles. But certainly they've amazingly managed to achieve something that's as aesthetically fetching as it is mathematically remarkable. Someone will do something better at some point - sign me up for that ****.

No Man's Sky is also a game of rules and limitations, some reassuring and some frustrating. I've grown to appreciate how low maintenance the core survival aspects are, and how little work is required to just get by once you're past the first few hours (and shame so many 'quality of life' blueprints are dished out randomly). There's just enough there to encourage you to explore a bit and make the more toxic and damaged environments stand out. Only when I discover a blueprint I want do I go scavenging for a bit, and that can be tedious - especially when the inventory limitations kick in. But the more I play, the less bothered I am about all that, and the happier I am to wander without harvesting everything I find (the crystals, though, they're always asking for a mining), or stopping at every outpost I spot.

No Man's Sky is a game that subverts or ignores many AAA game rules if you want it to, and that's equal parts liberating and disorientating (I also think that's where it has come into conflict with the wider playerbase, but there's a link below that better articulates that). The game - and this is a real shame - doesn't explicitly tell the player to not play the game like they would another open world video game. And indeed the developers actively litter the landscape with 'stuff' to find and ways to find it, with a waypoint always pointing towards the galaxy core if you so wish. It's easy to get drawn into a cycle of constantly travelling towards the next 'thing', and the endless repetition will soon become apparent. This is mostly a failure of Hello, but also partially IMO a result of years of conditioning in other games that's hard to shake off.

No Man's Sky, though, excels when you just stop playing it like other open world video games. When you think of it as some sort of hybrid between Pokemon Snap and Proteus, with some light survival and trading elements thrown in. Plus every sci fi book and film ever, of course. It's a game where if you get bored, you go somewhere else. It's a game where doing nothing in particular is not only a valid choice, it's probably the most rewarding one, creating a strangely meditative mood as you leisurely explore these alien landscapes. The lack of direction is actually one of my favourite things about the game - no metagame, no levelling etc... In fact I'd love if they had more willingly disposed of those few elements that do feel more like a traditional game. Thankfully, most of them are relatively ignorable. There's an aimlessness to No Man's Sky that, far from being a weakness, is for me anyway key to its appeal.

Here's a picture to break up the text a bit (this is the aforementioned mantis dinosaur):

20160819185555_1.jpg

There's elements in the game I really like that are underexplored for sure. I love finding more words, and how that feeds into your understanding of what's happening in the world - but there's definitely more that can be done with that and your relationships with the alien races. The prose is surprisingly vivid, but would be cool if there were a few more variants in where you encountered if. Variance is what the game needs most - more truly unique sights to find, more surprises, more variety wherever reasonable or practical. As somebody who enjoys playing the game as a pacifist (except when some mutant dog beast is attacking me or whatever), I wish there were a few more options in that respect - to avoid mid-space dogfights, or (this really irks me) not having to shoot down birds to scan them (by default, anyway).

But I'm quite excited at the prospect of this game evolving, beyond the obvious UI fixes and quirks being ironed out. Rarely has a game felt like it could legitimately be worth revisiting at regular intervals if the game is meaningfully updated reasonably regularly. Since it is a game you can't "finish", there's no reason for the release code to be "finished" in the way most games need to be (see also: Minecraft). I am of the seemingly rare opinion that there's more than enough in the game is as, but no question whatsoever I'd welcome a whole lot more too. There is a risk, unfortunately, that it could become more 'gamey' in the process - new systems, new rules, new stuff. But hopefully the core I have appreciated most remains intact: just being able to wander to your hearts content, at the pace you want, and with the capacity to simply point your ship towards the sky and go some place else whenever the hell you want.

I've played around 20 hours of No Man's Sky. I'll probably stop at some point in the near to medium term future, popping back in when it's updated. But I stop playing pretty every game after a few dozen hours, if I even get to that point in the first. No Man's Sky is absolutely a game with very apparent flaws, both objective and subjective. I have determinedly avoided superlatives, because as I said 2016 has been ****ing remarkable - this is another interesting game in a year full of them, and needs more quote reservations unquote than quite a few of the others. But amid the wave of negativity that surrounds the game now, I'm still rather bewitched by it, often in spite of its very apparent problems.

I like what Brendan Keogh has to say about the game, reflects much of my experience with it. Read it if you'd like (or not, whatever), but here's a key quote:
    Those who enter No Man’s Sky looking for a sense of progress or empowerment or excitement or even ‘meaning’ are doomed to be disappointed. That is not the niche experience the game is going for (but which it has so much trouble positioning against). But for those who want to feel very small and insignificant and overwhelmed but who also just want to just stand still as they crest that mountain and see the neighbouring planet looming over a crystal clear lake in a red sky and just look at it for a minute, marvelling at the beauty of an algorithmic and godless Nature, for those players No Man’s Sky is everything it was always going to be.

*hands up* I'm one of those players.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,235 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I keep meaning to get back into ED and finish up A rating my python but every time I plan on doing so, some crap like super combat AI bugs and having to grind out engineer upgrades for all my ship components, puts me right off :(

That stuff is all fixed now for the most part, some really promising stuff announced at gamescon too such as being able to launch small fighter ships from your main ship.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That stuff is all fixed now for the most part, some really promising stuff announced at gamescon too such as being able to launch small fighter ships from your main ship.

The Gamescon stuff looks cool so I'll probley hop back on when I finish up my NMS trek. How vital is re-engineering/upgrading my gear for just the basic PvE stuff tho as that's a grind I'v zero interest in?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,235 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Gamescon stuff looks cool so I'll probley hop back on when I finish up my NMS trek. How vital is re-engineering/upgrading my gear for just the basic PvE stuff tho as that's a grind I'v zero interest in?

I haven't bothered with Engineers stuff at all tbh, seems fairly optional to me and the grind didn't seem worth it. They upped the drop rates for the rare materials though so if there is any mods you want its not as much of a chore now. The new stuff is meant to be coming in October. I've been away from the game for a couple of months so looking forward to going back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just found Emeril City. Just mine and sell or can it be used for crafting.

Is it actually called Emeril City?!?!?!

I DISCOVERED AND NAMED THAT!

Really interested to see if Optimus Tractor found my planet. That would really say something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The odds are pretty slim!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Too long to quote

That's all fair enough but my main concern about the game is it just isn't fun. The main resource gathering loop actively makes the game less fun. IT's likes the player wants to go exploring but is constantly fighting against their inventory system which just fills up way too fast and you need to return and carry out some mundane selling. Then you upgrade your inventory and you think it would make life easier but then those inventory spots are taken over by upgrades and you are back to square one.

Sure there's tonnes of potential in the game but the way the game stands the whole game play loop is broken and effectively works against what is actually fun for the player to do. There's no way I can just give the game a free pass on that.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Is it actually called Emeril City?!?!?!

I DISCOVERED AND NAMED THAT!

Alas no.

By the way I didn't call the planet I landed Emeril City. Left the name as it was.

Alas no.

Argh.

I got very excited there.

Probably wasnt that original.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Argh.

I got very excited there.

Probably wasnt that original.

At least now I have a name to look out for.

• Advertisement

At least now I have a name to look out for.

Let me know if you find the Red Light District.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Forgot to mention: <3 the jetpack / melee combo movement. They need a prompt to flag that stuff.
    That's all fair enough but my main concern about the game is it just isn't fun. The main resource gathering loop actively makes the game less fun. IT's likes the player wants to go exploring but is constantly fighting against their inventory system which just fills up way too fast and you need to return and carry out some mundane selling. Then you upgrade your inventory and you think it would make life easier but then those inventory spots are taken over by upgrades and you are back to square one.

Sure there's tonnes of potential in the game but the way the game stands the whole game play loop is broken and effectively works against what is actually fun for the player to do. There's no way I can just give the game a free pass on that.

The 'resource loop' hasn't been the main gameplay loop for me for at least half the time I've been playing - and a good bit of that earlier time was my own fault, really. Once you get off the first planet, you can engage with resources as much or as little as you want. Other than the few IMO essential upgrades (life support upgrades and warp drive ones, which definitely should be much easier to come by by-the-way as it's a shame the most bountiful planets are hidden behind the latter) you don't need to collect anything other than the isotopes and metals which are pretty much everywhere in crystalised form so requires little to no effort to collect. Once you realise there's no need whatsoever to collect anything other than what you want/need, you're liberated from the resource grind / inventory issues by-and-large and you can just get on with things :) You can resource grind if you want, and there's ways to make it a whole lot smoother than with your initial wimpy laser, but yeah it's a system that can be engaged with as much or as little as suits your particular needs.

Am I having fun? Yes, but there's also plenty of other equally worthwhile adjectives I could use. I find it relaxing, fascinating, memorable, lonely, overwhelming, artful, etc... Games can be more than just 'fun', and hell I find No Man's Sky plenty enjoyable anyway *shrugs* (also plenty of problems too, several of which I called out - I'm not giving it a free pass by any stretch, simply commenting on my own experiences with it)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The game, as it stands, is ultimately aimless.
    There are lovely moments, but you are always at the mercy of a merciless random number generator.
    And, unless you find fun in the moment, taking advantage of the happy coincidences of resources and trading posts, eventually it all feels a bit, well, aimless.

Elite Dangerous started fairly broken too.
    I got it for the XB1 and, until the mission system was repaired, it was a good-looking aimless mess too.
    But, over the past year, it has developed a direction, and the repaired mission system has enabled the player to develop to their own career within the world Braben and Co. developed for us.
    And, they've also laid out a clear road map for the future of the franchise, and have meshed multiplayer into it too.

Perhaps Hello Games could give them a call and give punters a little hope that their investment is more than just a single payday for them and they're vision had some road map of actual gameplay for us to look forward to.

Embrace the aimlessness, Ciderdude, it's what I have found myself particularly enjoying about the game :) It's not a game of overarching goals or destinations (if you ignore the core anyway), and instead one of moments and freedom. It's a welcome relief to be liberated from a 'goal' TBH, and while I wouldn't want such a thing for anything but the smallest handful of games, it's still proving a welcome palette cleanser for me.

Embrace the aimlessness, Ciderdude, it's what I have found myself particularly enjoying about the game :) It's not a game of overarching goals or destinations (if you ignore the core anyway), and instead one of moments and freedom. It's a welcome relief to be liberated from a 'goal' TBH, and while I wouldn't want such a thing for anything but the smallest handful of games, it's still proving a welcome palette cleanser for me.

I'm not buying it at all.
    It's like saying,
    "Sure, don't mind they didn't publish the clues along with the crossword, embrace the freedom and liberty offered by filling your own answers in, and the surprise and adventure in completing it with random words!"

A little direction would be great.
    The Path of Atlas is a step in the right direction (pun intended) but it just comes off as poorly written scifi with no grounding in what turns out to be less interesting than the merchants in Resident Evil 4, and not even on the same page as the merchants in the Dark Souls games.

The freedom to explore is pretty relaxing but the procgen engine needs to be tweaked to have much more varied looking planets which for a randomly generated system, sure does pop out very samey looking landscapes far to often in my experience. Personally I'm done with landing on a different colored rock type world to the one I just left as it gets old very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I regret not making my way to the centre sooner.
    I've played a silly amount of hours and finished the atlas collecting.

Thing is I never really moved forward after that, just from system to system exploring. Had a bit of a shock when I seen the centre was over 167369.5 light years away!?

That's insane. Actually insane. I just hope I get there before I get completely sick of it all.
    Finally discovered an extreme condition planet too, I've been super unlucky to not find one till now.

Edit: WELL HOLY ****. After what must be 40+ hours I finally hit a planet that looks straight out of the trailers.
    Monsoon weather cycles and gorgeous scenery, big open grass plains and mountains surrounded by thick forests, oceans, the whole lot. It's like a different game. Very atmospheric and surreal.

Weird crocodile looking feckers hanging out down near water attack on sight while massive lumbering Dino things lumber around the mountains. I'll make sure to share screens tomorrow.

The weird thing is I've almost no reason to find points of interest as I'm so far in I don't need to and was about to give up hope that planets like the ones used to promote the game existed. That's sad because it shouldn't take 40+ hours of dross to be floored by what they obviously wanted to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I moved to a new system yesterday, 2 plants and 1 moon, and one of the planets is 70% water. And on land, there are tons of Albumen Pearls, they go for about 30k each. The Sentinels immediately go to level 3 once you farm the first one, but I am parking the ship close to caverns, ducking inside, filling up, and the sentinels are lucky if they find me inside before I run out and fly away. Takes some time going back and forth, but will be a good way to make some cash, might be easier to buy a ship upgrade than searching them out and fixing them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Danonino. wrote: »
    After what must be 40+ hours I finally hit a planet that looks straight out of the trailers.

This sounds like a Peter Molyneux plot-device. "We'll make them play through monotony for 40 hours, to give them the impression of becoming a weary, jaded traveler. Then suddenly, BANG! The holy grail".

I logged out at over 171k light years away from the centre after 30+ hours of play. In the last ten hours I was thinking that I'd just fire through to find out what happened at the centre. Then I saw my distance.

I'm disappointed. Disappointed in myself, that I purchased on release. Disappointed that I ignored the red flags which appeared before the release. Disappointed that I bought digital, and couldn't return.

I'm glad there are players who are enjoying it. Johnny Ultimate, your massive post above was great. I've been gaming for a long time, and I was looking forward to something different. Unfortunately NMS wasn't it. For a procedurally generated game, which on paper should be unquantifyingly variable; I feel like I've seen everything.

My hope now is that someone takes the idea, and implements the original idea. Adds life and meaningful interaction to the hubs and stations. Implements a path to follow (as Ciderman said, a path in NMS would be nice: but a path where? Something to do would be nice) because I think NMS shows how lacking sandbox games can be (they aren't all boring).

• Advertisement

Joe get's it spot on tbf

Advertisement