Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I got to the last Atlas place without enough stones, so I flew around a few systems and ended up having to buy two. Never found the Atlas place again. Followed the blue path for a long time with no luck.

When I went to a Space Anomaly the option to be put back onto the Atlas Path wasn't there anymore. I guess you get one chance.

Anyway I heard it's incredibly underwhelming, so I'm not that bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

EoinHef wrote: »
    Far as i can see the galatic map and discovery sytem has no clear way of finding your way back to a certain system,i passed up a Atlas stone at one point and now im at the last station and im one short:(

If i could select the system from my list and put a waypoint down and go back i wouldnt mind but dont seem to be able to do it. Unless im missing something very obvious. Map needs work in general too,far too twitchy and camera angle changes are annoying when you change path.

Might jusy hit up one of the space station traders and buy one but they are PRICEY! Like 5mil plus pricey...not sure if finishing the quest will be worth it but id like to see the end anyway

It is the biggest waste of time on earth. Watch a video on youtube to see what happens, then sell the stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Zillah wrote: »
    It is the biggest waste of time on earth. Watch a video on youtube to see what happens, then sell the stones.

But we are not ON Earth, are we.... :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The "mission" seems like a fairly empty excuse for a single player campaign.
    The game really is an interactive toy right now, things to pluck, bang and poke but no actual point aside from experiencing more of whatever randomness the thing wants to throw at you next.
    The only thing that will save the title from sharing the bargain bucket with Battleborne is for Hello Games to pull their thumb out and give us a roadmap of what we can expect in the coming weeks and months.
    When Splatoon came out it was a limited title, but what there was turned out to be enough until the game was rapidly updated over the following year, turning an interesting experiment into a must have arena shooter.
    Perhaps NMS can do the same.
    Boring everyone with Elite Dangerous but one of their impressive expansions wasn't a massive sophisticated campaign but a battle mode for multiplayer space battles.
    If they introduced such a mode, a self contained battle mode in a randomly generated system for different numbers of players, it could be a hit.
    Of course, the number of alterations to the game would be considerable, not least modifying your craft to a greater degree than currently possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The Atlas path felt more like an extended tutorial to get you used to warping around so you would be better prepared for the journey to the centre IMO. I didnt really feel like it was a majorly story driven thing.

Ive just over 6 mil so i might actually buy an atlas stone and finish the path if only just to say that i have completed it. Annoying considering im fairly sure it was a bug because of milestones that im one stone short. If its really just head to the centre after it may aswell finish the only other bit of quest(even if its more like a tutorial) ill have other than reach the centre.

Ive been holding off on warp upgrades for the moment,needed slots for trade inventory,but do the different colour stars make any difference to the game?

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If they introduced such a mode, a self contained battle mode in a randomly generated system for different numbers of players, it could be a hit.
    Of course, the number of alterations to the game would be considerable, not least modifying your craft to a greater degree than currently possible.

So they should allow your craft to be modified over and above slots & basic ability to move/boost/warp. Should also create ability to buy bigger ships that can be left in orbit while you scout a planet in your current small ship.

I do think they have created something with huge potential. Real galactic trading, ability to create homes/bases, something that can be built on over a long time. The framework is there. But please - use the massive profits you just made to develop this, not paid DLC...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It feels like the framework of a great game, rather than a great game in itself.
    Masses of potential, just needs the will now to turn it into what it should have been, rather than the aimless past-time that the released game is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Which is kind of proving my point. Basically, you think the game failed in its execution and could have been better.

But instead of being disappointed, you describe it as infuriating, i.e. anger. It just seems a disproportionate response.

Yes I'm genuinely infuriated, this is literally the worst thing that's ever happened to me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Thargor wrote: »
    Yes I'm genuinely infuriated, this is literally the worst thing that's ever happened to me :rolleyes:

So maybe don't describe it as infuriating?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

So maybe dont be a pedantic dry sh1te on a message board discussing computer games? Its called hyperbole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note This has been a civil discussion to date, let's keep it that way, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Thargor wrote: »
    So maybe dont be a pedantic dry sh1te on a message board discussing computer games? Its called hyperbole.

Its not really pedantic. I think hyperbole is part of what feeds these gamergate type situations.

Just out of curiosity, what is your real emotion about this game. Would you agree that you are just mildly disappointed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

LLMMLL I've just given you a warning there. Can we just move on from this line of discussion before it escalates again.

Id love to know if all the people who feel so strongly about the game have actually bought it and played maybe 30hrs,people seem to be using links/reviews in a lot of cases to prove there point. This is not aimed at anyone in particular,i just see some stuff being mentioned that does not seem to be that accurate in my experience of the game.

Im near the 30hr mark now and still enjoying the game,are the limitations becoming apparent at this point? Yes. Will i be still playing it closer to the 60hr mark? Honestly i dont know,but i do feel like the game still has more to offer me at this point.

Ultimately the only talk that matters is about dollar bills,if your upset how the game turned out move on,dont support the dev in the future. That will always hurt them more than any angry posts on the internet!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair, whether this game is or is not for them should become apparent to a player well before the 30 hour mark. 30 hours is a ****load of time.

To be fair, whether this game is or is not for them should become apparent to a player well before the 30 hour mark. 30 hours is a ****load of time.

I wasnt saying everyone has to have 30hrs to have any opinion on the games,but to have no experience of it first hand and have a very strong opinions on it is strange to me. Ive literally seen people quote that reddit thread with all the missing bits as some sort of imperical data that the game is s*** and have not played 1 minute of the game themselves. Again thats strange to me. If its not to you fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

So I've landed on a pretty much dead planet, no animals whatsoever but it is covered in Knowledge Stones. Loads of them for folks who want to learn a new language or two. So if you come across Radiation Wasteland, say hello.

My gripe at the moment is the markers in the HUD. Sometimes the Monoliths stay on it and I end up double tracking to them when I've already been there. Wish you could also pin the "?" points, so you can come back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

EoinHef wrote: »
    Id love to know if all the people who feel so strongly about the game have actually bought it and played maybe 30hrs,people seem to be using links/reviews in a lot of cases to prove there point.

I'm not sure exactly how time I played, but I'd say it was between 30-40 hours before I had enough. I finished the Atlas story, did a few jumps, and realised I'd still over 170,000 light years to go until the centre.

Before I logged out I tried to see how long it would take me to move across the galaxy map to the centre; pushed forward toward that bright star for about two mins before I gave up.

The procedurally generated worlds had me in awe for the first ten hours (at a stretch), then I realised how similar planets started to look. I started seeing the same plants and very similar creatures across different planets. The continuous loop of warp-gather mats-refuel-warp started to grind me down. Then I figured I'd do some jumps to complete the Atlas story, which turned out to be a complete let down. I watched the ending on YouTube and my thoughts on it were: typical.

I won't harp on but echoing many others here, I'd agree that the game is a technical marvel. IMO procedural generation can only take a game so far without decent gameplay. Hiking across another red planets surface to watch a sunrise isn't what I'm looking for in a game. If I'd have played a demo before buying, I wouldn't have shelled out €60 for it. Maybe I'm a complete pessimist, but I cannot see Hello Games implementing massive change to turn this game into what (I think) it could have been. I'd like to be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

No Man’s Sky active players drops by 90%

http://gamerant.com/no-mans-sky-players-drop/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Crashed three times on me in the space of an hour last night on PS4. Ended up just giving up.

• Advertisement

Not that surprising to be honest.
    Clever / sneaky marketing has got them the dollars though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

That isn't particularly surprising. This is normal when there is a big release, like Deus Ex.

For me, the game is going to become like Rocket League - I will play it in between sessions of other games for an hour or two over the next few weeks. For example, since the weekend, I set myself the goal of upgrading my warp drive with the theta upgrade.

Spent the last few nights mining gold and emeril until I could afford it last night. Once installed, I was able to finish off the Altas path and now I'm making my way to the center. Next goal is to upgrade my exosuit fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Jim Sterling did a good video on NMS development and Sean Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

SHOCKING interview about No Man's Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think Shaun Murray might get a pass this time just because of the ambition of the project and the small team he started the project with. His next game better have everything promised though because otherwise people are just going to dismiss him as the new Molyneaux.

I think Shaun Murray might get a pass this time just because of the ambition of the project and the small team he started the project with. His next game better have everything promised though because otherwise people are just going to dismiss him as the new Molyneaux.

Actually, I think he needs to fix the game, and he/Sony need to do it using the massive capital that selling 2 million games brings. That will fix his/their reputation far more than spending 3 years on a new project.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

I've had a good 25hrs on the game,and i reckon i'm gonna leave it now for a while and see what patches and improvements they make over the next few months and then jump back in..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Where would i find the warp drive theta upgrade. Can i buy it or do I have to find the upgrade somewhere

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You have to find it but there are some places that seem to always give you an upgrade you don't have already... those seem to be the factories and also the lifeforms who's problems you solve properly. It seems like if you just stumble across a recipe it will be a random one, but if you do something to earn it you get one that you don't already have.

I think I have like 35 hours in the game now and I've upgraded my suit hugely from simply exploring. My ship it the first ship I bought (21 slots) and I'm just tootling about discovering stuff and kinda making up my own story to go with the situations. I hate to sound like yer dad saying "when I was a lad we played with a stick and a rock"... but this has kinda been my experience with NMS. I was full set on going hardcore on this game, I even told everyone around me I was going away for the weekend so I'd be left alone but in fact that would have been dreadful. Instead I go into it when I fancy a bit of down time and a tootle :)
    I'm playing Deus Ex as well for "gaming" but NMS is kinda filling a niche at the moment and I've found its something I enjoy in small chunks rather than gorging on.

I would REALLY like to see them fill the world up with stuff to discover though and I suspect that there ARE more things I haven't seen yet (like I haven't seen a space battle yet either and I haven't flown to anything but yellow stars atm but that's my next adventure :) ). It would be nice to know that there is a LOT of wacky crazy stuff in there to discover and I guess I'm a little disappointed there isn't as much as I would like. Still enjoying it, certainly not unhappy about paying 60 bucks for it.

Btw, that's another thing... I hate to be Johnny Moneybags but I'm 46, 60 euro is what I dropped on dinner in a fancy restaurant last night and I wasn't even full afterwards. I'm a middle aged man with no family or expenses. My "golf" is computer games. But to someone else 60 euros might be their one game this month and I can fully understand then how annoyed they might feel if they thought they were getting Star Citizen and got NMS instead. That's something we need to consider, this is not a symmetric comparison between reviewers, some valued what they handed over for NMS much more than others (like me). Its not surprising then when they have different reactions to disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

My ship is currently drifting away from me, after I used a bypass chip to call it to a transmission tower. The only thing I've done since 'calling it' is doing a recce of the area around the tower. And now, after a few minutes of watching it drifting, my ship is now a 6 minute hike (and counting) for me to get it back.

Advertisement