Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

You guys werent lying about the Atlas ending.......but ive ticked that box so im happy just to have done it to see what happens.

Ive now to decide weather i want to keep playing and reach the centre. I do know what happens there though so i may just log in the odd time for a bit of a fly about and leave it at that till/if anything else worth doing is patched in.

Think the price point has really let this game down imo,pricing it as high as they did only inceases the expectation on top of what was feverish anyway. Ive enjoyed what ive played but im struggling to reconcile that with the games price point.

Enjoyable enough game? Yes
    Worth the price of entry? For me no

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Glico Man wrote: »
    My ship is currently drifting away from me, after I used a bypass chip to call it to a transmission tower. The only thing I've done since 'calling it' is doing a recce of the area around the tower. And now, after a few minutes of watching it drifting, my ship is now a 6 minute hike (and counting) for me to get it back.

lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Scientists have discovered an 'exoplanet' called 'Centauri b' which may be habitable, though tis very far away.

Inspired me to go on a wikipedia journey today. Galaxies, the Milky Way, the Solar System, Exoplanets, Black Holes, Spacetime. Unbelievable stuff, mindbending.

Made me kinda want to play this game again a little bit.

I put in about 12-15 hours over the first day or two but havent touched it since.

EoinHef wrote: »
    You guys werent lying about the Atlas ending.......but ive ticked that box so im happy just to have done it to see what happens.

Ive now to decide weather i want to keep playing and reach the centre. I do know what happens there though so i may just log in the odd time for a bit of a fly about and leave it at that till/if anything else worth doing is patched in.

Think the price point has really let this game down imo,pricing it as high as they did only inceases the expectation on top of what was feverish anyway. Ive enjoyed what ive played but im struggling to reconcile that with the games price point.

Enjoyable enough game? Yes
    Worth the price of entry? For me no

Maybe trade in Cex? Right now they're giving €49 cash for it.

Edit: I've no idea how Cex (and other retailers) decide their trade/selling prices on items, but if it's anyway linked to the volume they have in stock... their stock of No Man's Sky has roughly doubled since yesterday. If anyone is thinking of trading, maybe a good time to do it before the trade-in price gets lower?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Edit: I've no idea how Cex (and other retailers) decide their trade/selling prices on items, but if it's anyway linked to the volume they have in stock... their stock of No Man's Sky has roughly doubled since yesterday. If anyone is thinking of trading, maybe a good time to do it before the trade-in price gets lower?

The buy in price will drop quite dramatically and rapidly as stock increases. Same with stock decrease causing the opposite if it's dramatic enough. At least thats what I've seen.

• Advertisement

On PC so no trade ins for me. If i had it on PS4 though and enjoyed it as much as i did on PC i would be keeping it anyway. Im not one for trading games in.

They got the price point wrong,and thats a big contributor to the negativity imo,including my own.

Ive enjoyed the game though for as long as ive played it so i suppose i got more value than a lot of people but i can see why the arguement can be made for a lower price point.

Weather i keep playing as often as i have been will depend on weather i can use what the game gives us to try set my own goals,to make it worth playing for me. Minecraft is similar and i do like that game. Unless they change it the game may never be more than that.

I knew what i was buying as i didnt pre order so paying full price was my decision,if i had of paid €45 id have no complaints really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Played another couple of hours this evening.
    A few thoughts.
    The planets are far too desolate in the main.
    I've been to some with some plant life and animal life, but too many are toxic rocks.
    I got into a couple of battles above the worlds, but it was often a fairly random affairs even when responding to distress signals, and you never feel invested in the outcomes, aside from not being shot down, and there's no evidence that you benefit from the alliance with these freighter starships at all.
    Most things feel "in the moment" and you don't have an impact on anything in the gameworld beyond naming things.
    If you had a persistent presence, an ad-hoc system of alliances with fellow players would soon develop, transforming the game, with initial meets becoming flotillas of transports and fighters, occupying systems and taking on oncomers.
    Wouldn't even be a need to make a story, the permanent presence of players would make an ongoing story irrelevant.
    And the only requirement would be to be in the same place as others, both on foot and in ship.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

New experimental patch available on Steam today but not seen any difference yet.

Interesting mod (Big Things) here which makes the planets a lot more interesting.

http://imgur.com/a/YmK4E

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Ponster wrote: »
    New experimental patch available on Steam today but not seen any difference yet.

Interesting mod (Big Things) here which makes the planets a lot more interesting.

http://imgur.com/a/YmK4E

That's what the procgen engine should of been doing from the start imho.

Only thing id be worried about there is what happens when your ship auto increases altitude to get over those larger objects?

That can slow the ship right down. Looks really nice though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Played another couple of hours this evening.
    A few thoughts.
    The planets are far too desolate in the main.
    I've been to some with some plant life and animal life, but too many are toxic rocks..

Visit a system with a blue star and you are pretty much assured one of the planets in the system will be a lush one.

But yeah, I've stopped playing at this stage. It's dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Only thing id be worried about there is what happens when your ship auto increases altitude to get over those larger objects?

There is a mod for that tho.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Scientists have discovered an 'exoplanet' called 'Centauri b' which may be habitable, though tis very far away.

Inspired me to go on a wikipedia journey today. Galaxies, the Milky Way, the Solar System, Exoplanets, Black Holes, Spacetime. Unbelievable stuff, mindbending.

Made me kinda want to play this game again a little bit.

I put in about 12-15 hours over the first day or two but havent touched it since.
    Astrophysics made up a chunk of my degree and yeah, its properly bonkers out there in space (Read up about Magnetars ... probably the strangest objects in the universe imho!).

Proxima B is the planet you are talking about, (the star is Proxima Centauri and the naming gets very confusing tbh :) ) and it might seem "very far away" (it would take us 18,000 years to get there at our current top speed so yeah, on some scales that very far!) but at 4.3 light years away, in a galactic (never mind universal) sense, its right next door. That's whats so incredible about it... Its literally our next door neighbour.
    Proxima Centauri is so named because it is the next nearest star to us!

The problems are going to arise from something called the Cone of Time (sometimes called the Cone of Light, since in effect light and "time" kinda travel at the same speed... yeah, relativity is mad). Anything we get from the planet will be delayed by the cosmic speed limit, anything we send there (like radio transmissions) will still take at least 4.3 years to reach it.

Other mad things in our universe include the orbiting blackholes which caused the bump in the LIGO gravitational waves reading. The energy they gave out in the final seconds (not to mention the speed they were orbiting each other.. something like 10% of the speed of light!) is unimaginable.

Other oddities (if somewhat theoretical) are White holes, Boltzmann's Brains (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boltzmann_brain ) and the rotational speed of Pulsars (several hundred times a *second*)...

No Mans Sky has really been way too kind to us all things considered :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's exactly the mad as a box of frogs stuff we need to see in a space game.
    I want to have the option of being cooked in my ship from flying too close to Jupiter, I want to risk being torn apart by the gravitational forces of a black hole.
    I don't want to wander around worlds with too shallow an atmosphere with no care about density, gravity or rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That's exactly the mad as a box of frogs stuff we need to see in a space game.
    I want to have the option of being cooked in my ship from flying too close to Jupiter, I want to risk being torn apart by the gravitational forces of a black hole.
    I don't want to wander around worlds with too shallow an atmosphere with no care about density, gravity or rotation.

But you'd need a supercomputer to model all that. NASA use them to model their simulated models of our current understanding of physics.

Never mind make a game of it all.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Yeah saw that low fly mod,be good if they worked together alright. Im still not sure it would work well though. Must try it out!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

But you'd need a supercomputer to model all that. NASA use them to model their simulated models of our current understanding of physics.

And it would be huuuuuuuge. Space, as they say, is very big. The vast vast majority of it is empty (ok, actually space is not empty at all, its jam packed full of quantum mechanical sized entagled particles which create themselves out of the vacuum (yeah, really, they pop into existence even though matter/energy cant be created or destroyed, so long as you create equal parts positive matter and a sort of anti matter its all balances out and the universe turns a blind eye to it.... read up on Hawking Radiation if you want to know more!).

Almost every planet would be a gas giant or uninhabitable ice ball and then Gamma Ray Bursts (the blasts of energy from a supernova, the death of a big star) would kill players unexpectedly as a nearby sun goes bang :)

But taking the point LESS literally, yeah... its exactly what I feel is missing in the game, those 1 in 100 encounters that you know are out there even if you haven't seen them and would keep me trekking just to see what's over the next hill so to speak. To warp into a solar system and get a warning that the sun was about to go nova and have to high-tail it out of there would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

DeVore wrote: »
    And it would be huuuuuuuge. Space, as they say, is very big. The vast vast majority of it is empty (ok, actually space is not empty at all, its jam packed full of quantum mechanical sized entagled particles which create themselves out of the vacuum (yeah, really, they pop into existence even though matter/energy cant be created or destroyed, so long as you create equal parts positive matter and a sort of anti matter its all balances out and the universe turns a blind eye to it.... read up on Hawking Radiation if you want to know more!).

Almost every planet would be a gas giant or uninhabitable ice ball and then Gamma Ray Bursts (the blasts of energy from a supernova, the death of a big star) would kill players unexpectedly as a nearby sun goes bang :)

But taking the point LESS literally, yeah... its exactly what I feel is missing in the game, those 1 in 100 encounters that you know are out there even if you haven't seen them and would keep me trekking just to see what's over the next hill so to speak. To warp into a solar system and get a warning that the sun was about to go nova and have to high-tail it out of there would be great!
    WE'LL HAVE TO JETTISON THE WARP CORE!!!

why?

I'VE WATCHED A LOT OF STAR TREK, AND THIS SOLVES EVERYTHING! THIS OR A TACHION BEAM!

Did you invert the phase coupling??

>.< goddamit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not actually that difficult to simulate. You're just mostly talking about Newtonian physics there. Your phone could handle that no problem. It's when you get into the mad stuff that DeVore is talking about when it gets interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Ah now. You'd need a supercomputer to come close to accurately calculating the physics involved in a race car doing laps of a track, but we can approximate it well enough with simple calculations to make for a convincing simulation. Same applies to anything, including astrophysics.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

dreamers75 wrote: »

I also have that installed. It allows you to fly as close to the ground as you like, take damage, and point the nose down to look where you're landing.

Ponster wrote: »
    I also have that installed. It allows you to fly as close to the ground as you like, take damage, and point the nose down to look where you're landing.

So it works well?

One thing thats missing is being able to free your POV when flying,i bought a ship yesterday that has a glass bottom to the cockpit,be real handy if i could just look down through that when landing. I see that kinda works with a controller but im using m&kb

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,235 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The game doesn't let you fly close to the ground? So you can't go swooping through canyons or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The game doesn't let you fly close to the ground? So you can't go swooping through canyons or anything like that?

No, but you can with this mod

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,235 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Seems like an odd decision to not allow the player to do that in the first place.

Nope, you just fake it, make the model relatively simple using the softwares own approximations as it stands.

You want a pulsar, pop in a compact star pumping out mental amounts of energy on a periodic basis, and expect the player to be hiding in the shadow of a asteroid, planet or the hold of a space station to survive it.
    Plenty of ways to do it, no one expects you to model the universe from base principles, nor do they expect the Spanish Inquisition, but then no one does....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I seem to be going through withdrawals after trading in ha ha. For something I was bored off I really was spending a lot of time with it.

Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Nope, you just fake it, make the model relatively simple using the softwares own approximations as it stands.

You want a pulsar, pop in a compact star pumping out mental amounts of energy on a periodic basis, and expect the player to be hiding in the shadow of a asteroid, planet or the hold of a space station to survive it.
    Plenty of ways to do it, no one expects you to model the universe from base principles, nor do they expect the Spanish Inquisition, but then no one does....

Simulation vs emulation... :pac:

• Advertisement

Star Lord wrote: »
    Simulation vs emulation... :pac:

Ha ha, very good!

Really, it is all about the fidelity of the model the game is using, and it's one of the things right now is NMS' model seems to be too simple.
    It's as if they just whittled it back because of issues on the run up to it going gold, and so they whipped out stuff.
    So, we've no rivers, convincing oceans and so on.

Advertisement