Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I just found out what happens when you get the end game or "centre of the Universe". Mother of god what a sham. Another classic example of why you never, ever pre-order a game.

Just googled it and watched the Youtube vide. What a fockin joke. Honestly. Fok this game. So glad I didn't bother playing it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I can understand why a lot of people would be pissed off at the what you discover, but I'm not that bothered by the ending or lack of... For me this game has always been about making my own journey through this vast emptiness. No way points to follow, just blast off in any general direction. Its not the destination that I seek, its the journey I'm taking that keeps me interested. I even got the platinum trophy, which is something I never go out of my way for.

This game has certainly scratched that infinite, go anywhere space exploration itch that I've had since I was a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I have never seen a game divide peoples opinions as much as this. Its been an interesting read most of the time. From the mildly opinionated to the harsh hatred directed towards a game developer. It will certainly be looked at as a marketing case study in the games indutry for some time. I'm still enjoying the game though and am looking forward to see how it develops a la minecraft....or not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Just googled it and watched the Youtube vide. What a fockin joke. Honestly. Fok this game. So glad I didn't bother playing it through.

I wonder, what ending would be acceptable? Meet God and shake his hand? Hard to know what a good 'ending' would be...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I feel the same way... its genuinely odd and interesting to watch people discuss it and indeed to try to explain to other people if its "a good game or not".

As far as the price point is concerned. Lets say a cake is 15 euro. You like cake and want to buy a cake. A guy offers to sell you the worlds most amazing awesomest cake ever baked, and for the usual 15 euro! You agree and he gives you a standard cake.

Please don't torture this analogy, its only for illustration. I've been trying to explain to friends what is wrong with the game and why I have 40 hours in it already :)
    My only regret is that its not as awesome as he promised it was going to be, but its still "fine".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Sarn

Ultimately it is an early access game sold as a AAA title with a AAA price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

DeVore wrote: »
    I feel the same way... its genuinely odd and interesting to watch people discuss it and indeed to try to explain to other people if its "a good game or not".

As far as the price point is concerned. Lets say a cake is 15 euro. You like cake and want to buy a cake. A guy offers to sell you the worlds most amazing awesomest cake ever baked, and for the usual 15 euro! You agree and he gives you a standard cake.

Please don't torture this analogy, its only for illustration. I've been trying to explain to friends what is wrong with the game and why I have 40 hours in it already :)
    My only regret is that its not as awesome as he promised it was going to be, but its still "fine".

I think its all down to perspective. Unlike most it seems, I had a free Saturday at home (rate occasion) was on board and had a good read of the no man sky thread. Had been out a week or so on PS, so discussion well under way on its limitations.

Piked the concept for the game though, so bought it, as a weekend free of Amy obligations is a rare and cherish thing!

And I very much enjoyed it. Not saying it's a great game, but I got more than my moneys worth out of it, and didnt have the high expectations that those who had been followings its development for years had!

I do think people are being a tad harsh though, particularly playing on PC. Like myself there was about a week of backlash from the PS players before it was released on PC. Why buy it when the criticism was so high, or why buy it immediately? Plenty of reviews out at that's stage, gameplay videos etc to make a judgement on whether its worth the asking price, instead of complaining afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I think its all down to perspective. Unlike most it seems, I had a free Saturday at home (rate occasion) was on board and had a good read of the no man sky thread. Had been out a week or so on PS, so discussion well under way on its limitations.

Piked the concept for the game though, so bought it, as a weekend free of Amy obligations is a rare and cherish thing!

And I very much enjoyed it. Not saying it's a great game, but I got more than my moneys worth out of it, and didnt have the high expectations that those who had been followings its development for years had!

I do think people are being a tad harsh though, particularly playing on PC. Like myself there was about a week of backlash from the PS players before it was released on PC. Why buy it when the criticism was so high, or why buy it immediately? Plenty of reviews out at that's stage, gameplay videos etc to make a judgement on whether its worth the asking price, instead of complaining afterwards

There were no reviews of the game prior to launch due to review copies only being sent out at launch.

Sarn wrote: »
    Ultimately it is an early access game sold as a AAA title with a AAA price point.

All that's needed now is paid DLC to really rub salt in the wound.

All that's needed now is paid DLC to really rub salt in the wound.
    Comes with a free Sean Murray Dart board - with multiplayer support.... Kind of

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Alexis Kennedy on point with these comments, TBH (bonus points for using the phrase 'toxic post-truth arse spiral'):
    I want to talk about what it’s like to be lost inside developing a game. But first of all I want to give one reason you don’t need to worry about the games industry disappearing up its own toxic post-truth arse spiral:

IT HAS NEVER BEEN EASIER TO FIND OUT EXACTLY WHAT A GAME IS LIKE ON LAUNCH DAY, AND IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS, YOU CAN WAIT A WEEK AND YOU CAN BE ABSOLUTELY SURE.

It’s not Kickstarter, it’s not politics, it’s not marriage. You’re not buying land in the Wild West or shares in a startup or payment protection insurance. You’re not being sold drugs or gambling. Whatever you think of Metacritic and the gaming press, a couple of days after launch they had done their job, and you could find out with one Google query that NMS was a 70/100, or in English, Buy With Caution If You Like That Sort Of Thing. With another Google query you could find out that lots of people had been expressing concerns for months about whether it would live up to the hype.

I don’t want to be a dick about this, seriously. I know what disappointment feels like. But businesses have been trying to sell us their products for something like seven thousand years, and we have never in all that time had a better way to tell if it was worth our money.

If you ever, ever have doubts about a game ahead of launch - whether that's because there's no reviews out, or you want to see what people who aren't working to a deadline have to say about it, or even if you just want opinions from people who aren't critics or who paid thousands of dollars for an early copy (remember that guy) - DON'T PREORDER THE GAME. Publishers will keep taking advantage if gamers are more interested in having a game on Day One then they are actually finding out if they're going to like it or not.

Like, I am possibly one of the biggest defenders of the games round these parts (EDGELORD) but I also didn't hit the 'buy' button until I'd read quite a few opinions and thoughts on the game in the days after launch so had a good idea it would be the game I wanted it to be. The internet may be loud, angry, hyperbolic and depressing at times, but it'll sure as hell let you know if something doesn't live up to its standards. (I use 'it' because of course the Internet is basically one raging blob of flesh and technology, ala the end of Akira, as opposed to a bunch of individuals).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

I kinda feel bad for Sean Murray charlatan

It started as few small lie's here and there to avoid having to explain how empty the game is and eventually ended up into many huge great lie's.

I guess the learning from this is how not to launch an indie title.

RIP Sean. the gaming world will not miss you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Here's a great article detailing why No Man's Sky is worth spending time on.

http://www.polygon.com/no-mans-sky/2016/8/29/12640156/center-galaxy-guide-video-what-happens-next

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

http://www.polygon.com/no-mans-sky/2016/8/29/12640156/center-galaxy-guide-video-what-happens-next

Maybe when its in the bargain bins and sales for €19.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I should give my money (60 euro) , the price of a AAA game to a company who didn't deliver on what they promised, and who won't come out to argue or defend the cuts/reaction to their game ?

That would just encourage more companies to keep up with the same crap, promise everything, get people to buy it....then just hide and count the cash.

The only way to show companies it's not acceptable is to protest and NOT buy the game.

I think you're kind of in denial Ciderman and looking for any scrap of hope or goodness in the game to justify your waste of money. It's ok to admit when you've wasted money.

I bought Battleborn full price when it came out recently, waste of my money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No need to justify my purchase here.
    I'm happy enough that I'm getting an experience with having in No Man's Sky, even if there are things that it could do better.
    I'm just posting an article that reflects another side to the debate, seeing as there are plenty of people posting and quoting opinion from the other point of view.
    And, before making assumptions about me you could take the time to read some of my posts here, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

No need to justify my purchase here.
    I'm happy enough that I'm getting an experience with having in No Man's Sky, even if there are things that it could do better.
    I'm just posting an article that reflects another side to the debate, seeing as there are plenty of people posting and quoting opinion from the other point of view.
    And, before making assumptions about me you could take the time to read some of my posts here, thanks.

True, and fair enough. I am aware that you weren't too happy with it, but I guess you are one of the few playing devils advocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I neither love nor hate the game. The concept is interesting, and I love the idea behind it. The mods, especially the low flight mod, make it a lot better. I've loaded the BiggerEnvironment mod, the low flight, quick actions and one that removes the Instagram-like filter and it's a much nicer game to play. I also installed the dark space mod which makes space black, rather than that tinted bluey colour, and it really adds to the atmosphere. No mods, and I would have uninstalled it. The mod scene is the only reason I'm still coming back to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I think you're kind of in denial Ciderman and looking for any scrap of hope or goodness in the game to justify your waste of money. It's ok to admit when you've wasted money.

This is why it can be incredibly hard to have a reasonable conversation about a game online, when people are being told not only are they "wrong" but they're lying to themselves - by somebody who hasn't even played the game, no less! C'mon, now Sean, let's have a better class of argument than that :)

As somebody who thinks the game is overall a delight - with reservations, although perhaps not the same ones as others - I certainly have no problem believing there are plenty of people enjoying the game, and they have every right to express their opinions here or anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Ionised

Have followed this thread with interest and enjoyed the discussion.

I preordered this for PC and was not disappointed at all.
    Perhaps I am just easily pleased but my wife would say otherwise.
    I'm not into multiplayer at all so was not bothered by that omission. People have complained of very little variation on the planets but my experience seems to have been different. There have been barren worlds, very lush and green worlds. One or two have been more water than land. Several have had very large creatures indeed. I have looked forward to landing on each and every one to discover the variety.
    Yes, the inventory system could use a little work and the galactic map is woeful but they are pretty minor gripes. It can be a little grindy if the aim is to amass funds and a bigger ship but not if one merely wishes to explore.

Perhaps I have just been lucky but in all my hours of play it has not crashed once and performance is reasonable. I have what might be called a mid range PC, certainly no bleeding edge gaming rig.

I've played around 35 hours and I do not feel bored or let down.

Was it worth the 60 quid? Yes. But it was probably too expensive too. Had it been 40 I would imagine less folks would feel so aggrieved.

I do not understand all the hate being heaped on the developer.

These are merely my own thoughts and experience. It may change after another 35 hours. I also hope updates, bug fixes and some more content will continue to be available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm deleting this game from the HD today to make space, but I think I'll revisit it if and when they've added new content. Overall happy with the purchase and the hours I got from it, even if it was a bit of an anticlimax, the game for me was about the ride there.

I really enjoyed the game... for the first 6-8 hours. My wife came in one evening, and the conversation went something along the lines of:

Deleted User: *mining the crap out of a Heredium tower*
    Mrs. Wilfinity: I thought this game was about exploring space and discovering planets.
    Deleted User: It is.
    Mrs. Wilfinity: But everytime I come in, you're using that laser.
    Deleted User: I need to mine these materials so I can blah blah blah.
    Mrs. Wilfinity: That sounds like an awful lot of work. You frown a lot playing this game too.

I played for a further hour, realised I had done sweet **** all in the game. Traded it the next day.

I really found the game too grindy (I get enough of that in work :P), and the payoff for all the grinding just wasn't worth it for me.

Did I like the game? Yes.
    Do I regret buying it? No
    Do I regret trading it? No.
    Will I get it again in the future? Depends on the features they add. And also if I find it in the "bargain bin for €19.99" (*cough* Failsafe *cough cough*)

Having said all that, can the people who are still playing drop a screenshot now and then? Nevermind - there's a dedicated thread over here.

Anyway, there are far worse games out there to spend your money on at release
    Duke Nukem Forever
    Aliens colonial Marines
    Golden Axe
    Streets of Rage

Not every game can be a classic
    Bloodborne
    Ico
    Fire Warrior
    Zelda on the CDi

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Golden Axe
    Streets of Rage

choofed.gif

Duke Nukem Forever
    Aliens colonial Marines
    Golden Axe
    Streets of Rage

Not every game can be a classic
    Bloodborne
    Ico
    Fire Warrior
    Zelda on the CDi

Disturbingly I have completed this 4 times :/
    Guilty pleasure

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Zelda on the CDi

It wouldn't be a complete Zelda collection without them... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Ionised

Loved all the Duke Nukem games!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Deleted User: *mining the crap out of a Heredium tower*
    Mrs. Wilfinity: I thought this game was about exploring space and discovering planets.
    Deleted User: It is.
    Mrs. Wilfinity: But everytime I come in, you're using that laser.
    Deleted User: I need to mine these materials so I can blah blah blah.
    Mrs. Wilfinity: That sounds like an awful lot of work. You frown a lot playing this game too.

Hah, reminds me of my OH. She has no interest in games whatsoever, but every now and then I realise she's watching me out of the corner of her eye.

Playing Dark Souls. YOU DIED appears on the screen repeatedly. "You're not very good at that game are you?"

Playing Overwatch. "Ooh it's so colourful!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Ionised wrote: »
    Was it worth the 60 quid? Yes. But it was probably too expensive too. Had it been 40 I would imagine less folks would feel so aggrieved.

I do not understand all the hate being heaped on the developer.

I think price pays a lot into this discussion for people.

I paid ~€50 for the game, delivered to my house, 1 week after launch. Which at the time I thought was a good deal, now I think it an appropriate price point, as - to be fair, it is a little sparse on content.

If this was an Call of Duty, Battlefield, any rehashed AAA title - I'd feel really ripped off at having paid €70 for a game that was essentially a re-skinned version of the last release.
    The fact that it's a small publisher attempting to create a really epic release makes me feel like Hello Games should get a bit more leeway. I'd rather see the game released with a few issues that can be fixed with patches / updates over the following weeks, than see them go bust while trying to deal with feature creep.

That being said, Hello Games aren't doing themselves any favours by keeping so quiet and not communicating with the people who preordered and put down a large chunk of money for this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Up-side, my little fella can watch me play this much more than when I'm playing Witcher 3, less chance of a loose boob on show.

I find I really want to jump on it for 20/30 mins when I can. I am not about playing games for hours on end (4 kids!), so it's hard to get bored of the grind when it's in short bursts. I have my exosuit maxed at 24 slots, and I bought a 19 slot ship from mining Albumen Pearls. So now I'm looking for an Atlas Stone, I've already been given a marker on the star map and ready to jump...

Advertisement