Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Any chance we could get some actual game discussion going?

What's the best way to earn credits?
    I found a planet, very high in mineral deposits:
    Giant gold deposits everywhere.
    Graviton Balls everywhere.
    Very high sentinel activity.

Bought a new ship with 19 slots for half a milly, no big deal, although I do have a bit of buyers remorse as I can now afford a pretty decent ship. Still have about 2 million left over after warping away. If anyone ever finds a planet called "Dollar Dollar Bills, Yo!" - don't make the same mistake I did - never leave it...

I've been reading some sites saying trading on a space station can make you some cash - but every time I look, the guys in the hanger are buying items at the same price as the terminal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The few times I've gone hunting for credits or resources, I've found prioritising cave crystals a much more effective way of mining. While they're a bit harder to find, the crystal formations are not as tedious to mine as the giant deposits littering the landscape. Pushes you to explore a bit more too :). Obviously a gravitino ball planet is the quickest and easiest way to make a few credits though.

My ship - first one I bought - is around 20-something slots, and that's enough for me as it houses all the upgrades I need plus space for some storage. Easier IMO to prioritise the main inventory upgrades - haven't been wanting for space for a long time TBH!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Any chance we could get some actual game discussion going?

I'd say that will happen after they patch a game into it. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Wait for a planet that has Vortex Cubes. They appear in caves and near the entrances. Both times I found them sentinel activity was normal. Fly around until you find a land-based store, ideally near some cave entrances. Run around filling your inventory and then sell them in big batches; repeat. The one I found was buy at -4% but it was still waaaay more efficient than having to take off and go back to the station.

Made a few mil and never had to scrounge for money again. Not that there is anything to do with money in this game other than buy a ship, what with the markets having, like, 30 of anything.

As johnny says, don't mine the big blocks, they take forever and are incredibly grindy. Hunting for crystals in caves is much less annoying. You'll usually find plutonium paired with either emeril, gold, or aluminium in caves (titanium sometimes as well? I can't really remember). Scanner range upgrade really helps with that: identify a rich pocket from a distance and go find it.

Hey johnny, in terms of actually mining - I've found it nets you very little cash. For example on Dollar Dollar Bills, Yo! mining gold ore took an age, sold for loads but took much longer than finding Gravaton Balls. Although I take your point that crystals are much easier to mine and yield more elements, so maybe that's a good option.

From this article: http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/10/12421926/no-mans-sky-quick-units the author recommends farming iron and plutonium to make bypass chips, which give you the best return for your time investment.

Might give that a go too, as both elements are extremely easy to find. It would be easy enough to build and trade in ~50 chips per space station visit, as long as you have the iron and plutonium.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    Fly around until you find a land-based store, ideally near some cave entrances. Run around filling your inventory and then sell them in big batches; repeat. The one I found was buy at -4% but it was still waaaay more efficient than having to take off and go back to the station.

This is one thing I did notice, I was selling Gravaton Balls at the space station, when all along - all I had to do was find a farming location with a trading station. Ironically, I was making less from selling them at the space station...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Because all people that play videogames and complain are women hating racist misogynists and gamergaters.
    Go on ya big meanie
    Definitely not because they are concerned that a company can sell them something based on misleading adverts and information and some how get a free pass from many of its fans. But sure this week in Ireland we've seen companies never lie.

Sure, Legend of the Dragoon is the best game ever!
    Until you play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Upgrade your mining laser, makes mining much quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Only vortex cube planet I've found had very high sentinel presence, including those annoying sentinel hounds.
    As JU said, if you can find the crystal form of the elements that you're looking for, they mine much faster and easier than the outcrop deposits (which are, let's face it, a pain to mine). Near orbit scans can sometimes show up where there are rich deposits (assuming there are any).

Upgrading the beam on the mining tool certainly makes crystal/iron mining much faster, but feels like it still takes forever to whittle down those big mineral outcrops.

From this article: http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/10/12421926/no-mans-sky-quick-units the author recommends farming iron and plutonium to make bypass chips, which give you the best return for your time investment.

This is literally the sort of task I would expect to have to undertake if I got a minimum wage data entry job though. Don't do it; if you respect your time in life at all, don't do it.
    Star Lord wrote: »
    Near orbit scans can sometimes show up where there are rich deposits (assuming there are any).

They've only ever given me random outcroppings. I stood there befuddled as to what the feature existed for.
    Upgrading the beam on the mining tool certainly makes crystal/iron mining much faster, but feels like it still takes forever to whittle down those big mineral outcrops.

Yeah I don't think the upgrades make much of a difference on the big mineral towers, they seem to break at a fairly static rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Yeah I don't think the upgrades make much of a difference on the big mineral towers, they seem to break at a fairly static rate.

There's different upgrades for different resource types. I've certainly noticed a huge difference on the towers

This is literally the sort of task I would expect to have to undertake if I got a minimum wage data entry job though. Don't do it; if you respect your time in life at all, don't do it.

I only need a few more quid to afford a top notch ship, then the units are pretty much meaningless as far as I can see.
    He's making ~3,600 units for about 1 seconds worth of work (each bypass chip sells for 3611 in his image).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Multi tool beam upgrades are the way to go with regards to mining,focus and intensifier upgrades in particular. Then i went for coolant upgrades which mean you rarely if ever over heat.

Mining in space for copper,nickel and aliminium is also a lot easier than on the planet.

Ive found the teaders on the space stations usually favourite one rare resourse,which if you have the formula for you can craft and sell to them for a lot of credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Wossack

find a busy station (lots of ship activity)
    take note of what the market buys with a star icon (for best-bonus-super-price)
    -with any luck it'll be something of high single unit value (vortex cubes etc)
    buy those items from arriving ships, and sell in the market
    profit

its beyond senseless and stupid, but sure thats the game. Have made approx 1m in 10mins, before loosing the will to live

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Decent way to make money is to find downed ships, strip them of their parts and sell them. Higher level warp drives contain Emeril and Gold. Other parts use Gravatino Balls and Vortex Cubes and the rare material Omegon. The Dynamic Resonator usually sells for a good bit in the Space Stations too.

When you strip parts, it also allows for the material multiplication glitch. As soon as you do so, it'll allow you to carry 100 rather than single ones.

Anybody been going to the different colour stars,been to a few of all the different colours now and not seeing much of a difference?

Also ive been keeping an eye on the internet chatter about the portals,people trying to open them. Nobody has managed it yet as far as i know,and i also do worry can the portals even be opened or has that feature been cut. Hopefully theres some sort of function to them though. I can imagine the rage if people found out they dont work!! Ive tried messing around with them and trying to get monoliths activated near them but no clue what to try

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The star system colours make a definite difference. Blue systems tend to be far more densely packed with resources and strange animals. Not sure I saw a giant creature at all until the green and blue systems, actually, but now they're a common sight.

The star system colours make a definite difference. Blue systems tend to be far more densely packed with resources and strange animals. Not sure I saw a giant creature at all until the green and blue systems, actually, but now they're a common sight.

Hmm i didnt really notice that,i must keep my eye out for the larger creatures. Nothing obvious jumped out at me.

Ive only found one planet for exotic resources,Callium it was called,i was thinking the different colour stars may have more exotic materials. All ive found though is the usual stuff,didnt notice it being more densely but that may be because im in no need of it at the moment.

EDIT: Actually thinking about it one of the planets i was on had only large creatures on it. None were huge but all were large,so maybe i have seen it but not noticed it.

Saw a 2.4 meter creature last night. Only 1 of them though, which was by far the biggest I've seen yet.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Anybody been going to the different colour stars,been to a few of all the different colours now and not seeing much of a difference?

I didn't notice any difference. Found plenty of boring planets on blue, tons of cool stuff in yellow.
    Also ive been keeping an eye on the internet chatter about the portals,people trying to open them. Nobody has managed it yet as far as i know,and i also do worry can the portals even be opened or has that feature been cut. Hopefully theres some sort of function to them though. I can imagine the rage if people found out they dont work!! Ive tried messing around with them and trying to get monoliths activated near them but no clue what to try

I'll eat my hat if they work. They don't even serve a function in the game, anyway. What's the point in teleporting forward and leaving your ship behind? If the centre or the planets near the centre were any more interesting than everything else that would be potentially have a purpose - but they aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

This is one thing I did notice, I was selling Gravaton Balls at the space station, when all along - all I had to do was find a farming location with a trading station. Ironically, I was making less from selling them at the space station...

I have a Graviton Ball planet in my current system, jumped there to follow the Atlas, but I left behind two planets with Albumen Pearls and Vortex Cubes. Made a million farming pearls and upgrade from a 15 slot to 20 slot ship.
    Great way to speed up progress and avoid the grind of inventory management.

But there are still some mechanic things that need fixing, like having to craft Suspension Fluid THEN Electron Vapor THEN Antimatter THEN a Warp Cell. It should allow you to craft the Warp Cell directly it you have all the parts...

Saw a 2.4 meter creature last night. Only 1 of them though, which was by far the biggest I've seen yet.

Think 6.0 metres is my tallest so far, there's a handful I've been able to spot from cruising altitude :)

I'll eat my hat if they work. They don't even serve a function in the game, anyway. What's the point in teleporting forward and leaving your ship behind? If the centre or the planets near the centre were any more interesting than everything else that would be potentially have a purpose - but they aren't.

Theres a lot of people online/youtube trying to figure it out. Would be a major bust if they just dont work!!

Im not sure if there purpose is to bring you closer to the centre,if thats all they are it would be a major waste alright.

Wasn't it said that their purpose was to give you a centre short-cut, or did I just assume that based on context?

It would be awesome if they led somewhere new and exciting, but I can't imagine anything in NMS that would be good enough to justify abandoning your ship.

The wiki says that they transport you to a random location in the galaxy where resources are supposed to be plentiful. Also says you can activate the portal on that random planet to get back to your ship.

Weather any of that is right or they even work im not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I recently got to a planet that was covered in sac venom, made a lot of cash from harvesting and selling them! The sentinels attack right away though even if they're usually not active on the planet, they are quite valuable. I didn't stay there though as it's no fun constantly having to run away from sentinels and I'm no good at fighting them. Btw, if you leave a planet with valuable cargo on board (sac venom etc) you tend to get attacked by space pirates.

Has anyone been able to find omegon without having to buy it? What does it look like?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Spent 40 mins stuck in a cave system.
    Wandered in through a cave opening near my landing site.
    Was going to try and suicide out, but there was just so much gold everywhere!
    Hung in there, eventually found a hole, and then found myself 4 minutes away from my ship!
    Then sold the gold for a tidy sum!

The adventure is kinda what you make it.

Also, lost the path of Atlas for no reason.
    Warped along it then, when I activated my hyperdrive next time, no Atlas path.

Ah well.

miezekatze wrote: »
    I recently got to a planet that was covered in sac venom, made a lot of cash from harvesting and selling them! The sentinels attack right away though even if they're usually not active on the planet, they are quite valuable. I didn't stay there though as it's no fun constantly having to run away from sentinels and I'm no good at fighting them. Btw, if you leave a planet with valuable cargo on board (sac venom etc) you tend to get attacked by space pirates.

Has anyone been able to find omegon without having to buy it? What does it look like?

I also think that the amount of pirates that attck you is based on the value of the cargo your holding. Ive been flyin around with a full ship the last while and every time its now 6 pirate ships or so that warp in to attack. Takin them down pretty easily at this point though with upgraded shields.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Spent 40 mins stuck in a cave system.
    Wandered in through a cave opening near my landing site.
    Was going to try and suicide out, but there was just so much gold everywhere!
    Hung in there, eventually found a hole, and then found myself 4 minutes away from my ship!
    Then sold the gold for a tidy sum!

The adventure is kinda what you make it.

Also, lost the path of Atlas for no reason.
    Warped along it then, when I activated my hyperdrive next time, no Atlas path.

Ah well.

I got stuck like that before, was wandering for ages before deciding to use grenades to make my own route out. Grenades are great :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Advertisement