Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

When I'm done in a cave I immediately look directly up and fire grenades until I can see sky, then jetpack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Glico Man wrote: »
    I got stuck like that before, was wandering for ages before deciding to use grenades to make my own route out. Grenades are great :p

Got that tech in the minutes afterwards, when a quick Google revealed that to be the solution!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

hbomberguy does an amusing satire of 'angry youtube man', but also delivers a thoughtful critique of the game in the process :)

Epilepsy + volume warnings:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've got it figured.
    I get it now.
    You are an explorer.
    Exploration is the goal.
    An astronaut isn't asking for a plot, he or she has a mission to record the unrecorded, and so it is with you in No Man's Sky.
    I spent about 5 hours last night exploring, mining, crafting, fighting on land, sea and space.
    And it was great.
    Yes, there could be more direction, mega fauna would be great, proper planets with climate zones, and all the rest.
    But, as a starting point, NMS is pretty special.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I see what hbomberguy is trying to do, but the faux shouting is really annoying. I find that I disagree with most of what he says. I find the argument: "if you don't like NMS you just can't understand/appreciate it", is just pretentious. Across the internet gamers seem to be dividing themselves into two NMS related camps; those who love what the game has done and who get it, and those who dislike NMS are perceived as unable to understand what NMS is trying to do (and who should return to the brainless task of shooting zombies in COD).

I don't understand why it can't be more simple? I don't like NMS, but I appreciate what it was trying to do yada yada yada. It's almost becoming a gaming Renaissance war between the intellectual ivory tower gamers, and the sewer dwelling generic-FPS lovers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not a big fan of 'you don't get it' aspect either, don't think it's particularly helpful to the discussion. Do think it highlights how the ranty nature of much YouTube and forum discussion detracts from actually discussing the game in a calm and critical manner (whether positive or negative). Personally I find it frustrating to see a really thoughtful piece of criticism like Kill Screen's IMO really lovely review of the game - which doesn't make any 'you don't get it!' accusations, and is instead just a really personal and engaged response to the game - dismissed as 'hipster nonsense' or what not.

No need for anybody to fall in line with a positive or negative response (I've read really worthwhile takes from both angles, and in between), but I think interesting responses on both sides can be sadly drowned out by some more furious and OTT ones. And there is an inescapable divide between the consumer and critical aspects of games writing this debate has really brought to the forefront.

You have to remember that a lot of the people involved in this conversation are insecure 17 year old boys, which is easy to forget on the internet. It's very hard to have nuance in your position or to empathise with those with whom you disagree at that age.

That also applies to those approaching 50 who have the emotional capacity of 17 year olds; I'll leave you to answer for yourself how many gamers that covers...

NMS has strengths and weaknesses, over all I am disappointed, but I'm really excited to see what someone will do with similar technology next time. To act like anyone who doesn't like the game is just not getting it is a bizarre stance to take - I don't know how anyone could be blind to the flaws the game has. You see similar arguments elsewhere, too. I've tried to read books that were just awful - with dozens of faceless characters thrown in all at once, with no pacing or development, no personality, etc - and the people who like the book invariably describe it as 'advanced' and that those who don't like it weren't able for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Zillah wrote: »
    You have to remember that a lot of the people involved in this conversation are insecure 17 year old boys, which is easy to forget on the internet. It's very hard to have nuance in your position or to empathise with those with whom you disagree at that age.

That also applies to those approaching 50 who have the emotional capacity of 17 year olds; I'll leave you to answer for yourself how many gamers that covers...

NMS has strengths and weaknesses, over all I am disappointed, but I'm really excited to see what someone will do with similar technology next time. To act like anyone who doesn't like the game is just not getting it is a bizarre stance to take - I don't know how anyone could be blind to the flaws the game has. You see similar arguments elsewhere, too. I've tried to read books that were just awful - with dozens of faceless characters thrown in all at once, with no pacing or development, no personality, etc - and the people who like the book invariably describe it as 'advanced' and that those who don't like it weren't able for it.
    So are you 17 or approaching 50, we must knowwww.

Also Hello have semi-broken their silence: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/09/development-update/

Pretty much what you'd expect: patches first, then free updates. Community managers have been hired. They're inviting feedback too - I'm sure that'd be fun to filter through ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Sean still in hiding.

He'll probably be found hiding down a tunnel in Iraq.

• Advertisement

Also Hello have semi-broken their silence: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/09/development-update/

"inundated with feedback and discussion"
    ...some diplomatic language there!

"This is a labour of love for us, and it’s just the beginning."
    ...and tens of millions of dollars - don't forget that part lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Sean still in hiding.

The odds of finding him are really, really small just due to the size of the earth! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Notorious wrote: »
    It's almost becoming a gaming Renaissance war between the intellectual ivory tower gamers, and the sewer dwelling generic-FPS lovers.

Why, I was saying the VERY same thing to my son, Dickerty Jr III, over a glass of Pimms in the conservatory, just one day hence...

Maybe when its in the bargain bins and sales for €19.99.

You mightn't need to wait too long...

https://twitter.com/Loli_Vampire/status/772791840911294464

https://twitter.com/raywand/status/772029188136116224

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Overwatch is GOTY (so far) in my opinion, so the above is unsurprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So, I went back to this in the last few days. I installed a few mods (remove the flight floor so I can zip around the place without the stupid baby stroller on my ship, a few graphical changes, one that increases the amount of resources you and your ship can carry, etc) and it's a much more enjoyable game. I got luck and found a planet with vortex cubes, so I robbed a load, sold them and bought a ship with ~25 slots, way more than my previous 15.

Without the resource grind and being able to fly around the way you want, you feel a lot more free to enjoy the games strong point - exploration. Previously, it felt grindy, now I just do what I want. Refreshing.

Yeah I played a few hours with LowFlight, Big Things and a few appearance mods and it's a much better game. Planets are so much more interesting with Big Things. Actual forests; things you have to tilt your head up to look at.

Murdered my fps, though; would need to drop graphics from their previous ultra to get away with it in forests.
    Benzino wrote: »
    Overwatch is GOTY (so far) in my opinion, so the above is unsurprising.

Your comment, on top of similar comments I've seen lately, made me get this on a whim last night. I only did the tutorial but loving it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Zillah wrote: »
    Your comment, on top of similar comments I've seen lately, made me get this on a whim last night. I only did the tutorial but loving it already.

Say goodbye to your loved ones for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Has there been any comments re mods for the PS4 version? I'd assume not but it would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Sean still in hiding.

He'll probably be found hiding down a tunnel in Iraq.

I met him in Dublin on Sunday morning!

He was sitting in a doorway off Camden St with a bottle of vodka.
    I woke him up and said "I support you are only drinking Grey Goose now?, and he said "No man, Skyy..."

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Every time a platform publisher gains the upper hand they become absolute c*nts.

Case in point Yoshida complaining about how Sean Murray and Hello a Games handled their PR.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-16-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-on-no-mans-sky

Way to throw some one under the bus considering it was a Sony funded and dictated PR push and it was them pushing Sean Murray out to give press interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

*snip*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I have no evidence of what went on, who is to blame or who pushed who to do/say what. As far I can tell, it's all heresay and considering both parties made a mint, I don't really care.

Enough of the name calling, please, no need for that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Id have to agree with grayditch here,theres no evidence to support what your saying retro.

In could very well be the case but cant be stated as fact.

Believe me ive no major affection for $ony at all,especially lately with a few of their recent decisions but to blame them totally with what we currently know is pre mature imo.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've been playing Pulsar Lost Colony with my mates and while its still Early Access, its more like what I had hoped NMS would be, lots of "tucked away" missions and curiosities in a generated world. Its good fun but needs a few people to get the most out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ive moved onto Empyrion Galatic Survival,can be pretty buggy and is harsh in MP,you can be totally wiped out in minutes,but it very fun to play. From what i see the game is confined to one solar system rather than a universe,which doesnt hurt it really.

Enjoying it a lot,its early access also. Its scratching that space game itch in a way no mans sky didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dont do Early Access so i went back to Elite, got a Corvette and soon to be Cutter :)

Now I am sitting in a dark corner reloading my multicannons waiting on Alienz.... The next update is actually going to bring the game closer to the original premise.

hmm wonder if NMS will go the same way.

This looks way better ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement