Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Gif in the comments is brilliant.

d0a.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

This could have massive implications.

Does the Advertising Standards Authority have any real power tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Venom wrote: »
    Does the Advertising Standards Authority have any real power tho?

No. Think they can at most tell them to withdraw the adverts but they can't fine or issue court proceedings, so it's all a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I think it's such absolute crap. Practically every game released advertises something and the design doc, NATURALLY, changes through development. If anything happens over this malarkey, it opens the door to a lot more frivolous butt hurt cases being brought by angry consumers who believe everything they're told. I think it's bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

mickstupp wrote: »
    I think it's such absolute crap. Practically every game released advertises something and the design doc, NATURALLY, changes through development. If anything happens over this malarkey, it opens the door to a lot more frivolous butt hurt cases being brought by angry consumers who believe everything they're told. I think it's bull****.

Sean Murray was making patently false claims about the game right up until release - long after he knew they were no longer true.

Also, the Steam page still has videos that completely misrepresent the gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Zillah wrote: »
    Sean Murray was making patently false claims about the game right up until release - long after he knew they were no longer true.

Also, the Steam page still has videos that completely misrepresent the gameplay.

It's nowhere near as bad as Spore where e.g. I spent ages trying to work out how to set up a separate profile for my OH to play before realising it wasn't in the game, despite being documented in the manual. Will Wright and EA made massive false claims about that right up to release. Only difference is there's a lot more online venting these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I played and enjoyed the game for what it was,wasnt a great game but was an ok game IMO.

But i have to say i do feel like there was misleading advertising and its only right that it should be investigated.

It may actually be the only way we can find out what actually happened

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think you might be overestimating how in-depth their investigation will be. They don't do any retrospectives; they will just look at current advertising, compare it to the product, and if they find it inaccurate they will instruct them to amend or withdraw the false adverts. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Zillah wrote: »
    I think you might be overestimating how in-depth their investigation will be. They don't do any retrospectives; they will just look at current advertising, compare it to the product, and if they find it inaccurate they will instruct them to amend or withdraw the false adverts. That's it.

The way that this was reported by "news" outlets on youtube yesterday, you'd swear that Hello Games was about to be shut down and all their illgotten gains held by a type of CAB or something!

All that may change is the Steam store page! And just the UK one at that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

MOH wrote: »
    It's nowhere near as bad as Spore where e.g. I spent ages trying to work out how to set up a separate profile for my OH to play before realising it wasn't in the game, despite being documented in the manual. Will Wright and EA made massive false claims about that right up to release. Only difference is there's a lot more online venting these days.
    That, and i'd never buy a title involving him again!

Murray's card is marked!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Meltdown on Twitter. The 'employee' should get a medal for embarrassing Murray to come out of hiding.

Cv20rcFUEAAs0-b.jpg

Followed by a claim from an employee of it being hacked

Followed by.....

Cv3R-jBWYAAMNCJ.jpg:small

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

What a weird situation. They obviously are too small a studio to be taking on what ever it is they are trying to achieve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    What a weird situation. They obviously are too small a studio to be taking on what ever it is they are trying to achieve.

Yeah and I'd forgive them that if they hadn't bull****ted about the game any time this factor was brought up prior to release.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

The entertainment this game has given me over the last few months is unbelievable and i didn't even buy it - to think people actually thought that it was going to be an entire universe that wasn't mundane is laughable.

The writing really was on the wall with this is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm being genuine when I ask: are people still talking about this game?

I'm not being funny, a game as big of a train-wreck as this, I'm surprised it's still getting so much press. I still have my copy but I haven't played it in almost 2 months. I do keep thinking maybe something will turn up from Hello Games and they'll announce something. I also wishfully think that they're doing something to improve the game as we speak but it's just what I said - wishful thinking.

If not for finding out about these "hacks" that happened on their Twitter account and emails I'd swear this game was forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Played it for 2 weeks from day 1, itched my space exploration scratch, got the platinum trophy and left it at that. If they add anything interesting to the game I might check it out, but otherwise have no desire to return to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭maximoose

I'm being genuine when I ask: are people still talking about this game?.

The only time I see it now is when there's a new meme in the humour thread

(I liked the latest monorail one :pac:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So we finally hear from Hello Games. They are releasing a base building 'foundation' soon, which will pave the way to further updates.

http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-developer-finally-breaks-silence-to-announce-base-building-update/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I get that they have to start somewhere, but base building in a space exploration game?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

wow, it gets more bizarre. Base building is almost the last place I thought they'd work on.

Sounds like Hello games is on life support.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Think they're doing exactly what needs to be done: working away on updates and only providing details when they know what and when they can deliver. Certainly base building is not something I've any particular interest in, but very much looking forward to seeing how Hello build on the strange, flawed and fascinating game they've already put out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I would love to see them release the game the showed and talked about ore release. It certainly won't be with this update but I hope it's the start of an improving game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Not entirely sure what the point of base building is, when the aim of the game is exploration, discovery, and moving from system to system. I mean you can't really do enough in each system to justify a base, can you?

mickstupp wrote: »
    Not entirely sure what the point of base building is, when the aim of the game is exploration, discovery, and moving from system to system. I mean you can't really do enough in each system to justify a base, can you?

There's are in theory anyway a few possible benefits to the feature, even if I don't believe it would be the highest up most people's wishlist. It would make on-planet navigation quite a bit easier for example: since your ship is currently basically your most reliable map marker, there's the obvious problem that it becomes difficult - near impossible, in some cases - to return to a particular spot later on when you take off. A base would counter that and encourage more exploration on-Planet. Depending on how it is flagged on maps (galaxy and beyond) there's also the chance it could make it much easier and worthwhile to return to a planet later on - would be rewarding to be able to return to a favourite planet and have a base to arrive back to. Would be particularly cool if they do follow through and introduce a portal system. On a purely practical level, it would be great to have an easy to return to storage facility to, even just in individual systems.

Could also be an effective way to let players express themselves and leave their mark on a planet. Currently that's only really possible by naming things, so building a landmark is another way for a player to flag they've been there and leave some sort of signature behind. More options in a sandbox are always to be welcomed.

Or just a way to get people sharing pictures and videos again :)

Absolutely hope there's a lot more features in the cooker beyond base building - and several I'd prefer to see, not least a greater variety of things to discover. Hello are making no illusions about the fact this alone isn't going to be a major game changer. But, depending on execution, there is the potential for base building to become a worthwhile addition, albeit one of hopefully many.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They have to be trolling at this stage dont they? Adding the "foundation" to what could someday go on to be a base building feature in a game where that has really no place for it or demand from the users?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

Let's face it. Proper multiplayer is what everybody wanted and they're never going to get. This is flogging a dead game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Even if this ever gets implemented, which I doubt, the bases will just be the same few bases you get already, templates for buildings, very simple stuff which will keep people entertained for less time than it took them to re-download the game in the first place.

That's my guess anyways. That or it's an attempt to make it seem like this game is still alive, in time for Christmas.

[edit] I saw this prediction of what it's going to be like on Reddit and it amused me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why do you build a base in any game? For protection, support when resource gathering, loot storage etc. None of these things exist in NMS the way they do in other games, just pale imitations or missing altogether, so to jump straight to base building without adding the reasons people want bases is a bit mind-boggling. In a game where you're supposed to be seeing multiple planets per session aswell its just bizarre. Why not work on ship-to-ship fighting or more interesting resources and crafting?

Advertisement