Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'll wait to see what the update is like but why do I get the feeling that one guy with a week on his hands could develop this....

I'll have to see how great this base thing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I'm so pissed i bought this game digitally. Now it just sits there on my library mocking me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

If the bases were like a mothership id be able to understand it. Could use it as storage for the various minerals and it could warp around. Thats the only way i see it fitting meaningfully into the gameplay as it stands.

If there are no other changes building a stationary base is the most useless thing they could add.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Details here: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/foundation-update/

Looks like a pretty ****ing fantastic first update to be honest. Those freighters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Details here: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/foundation-update/

Looks like a pretty ****ing fantastic first update to be honest. Those freighters!

If that's setting the pace for future updates then called me impressed.

Although honestly I didn't understand the pessimism with people claiming the game would be just left as it was pretty obvious Murray cared about the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If that's setting the pace for future updates then called me impressed.

Yeah had been expecting something significantly less substantial based on the cautious wording of the announcement, but this looks like a big update that goes quite some distance towards addressing key concerns with the game. Plus a positive teaser of what's to come, hopefully. As I've said before, I think action is significantly more important than anything the do or don't say from here on out, and this is a really good start. I for one will be booting the game back up sooner than anticipated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

why do I get the feeling that one guy with a week on his hands could develop this....

Game development by FAILSAFE 00, not to be take literally :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That looks like a pretty impressive update. Will be interesting to see what they announce next.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Wow that is a serious update! Definitely worth turning it back on to have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Dont forget boys,when the update drops it will probably look nothing like those trailers:D

Joking aside,it does look good. Mobile base in the freighter looks good to me. I always thought the way the game works using a mothership would be cool. And help inventory management by offering storage.

I am cautious though,lets just whats actually in there when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Update is now live according to steams game hub!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I really don't see this as being much of an update. Lots of more content but what to do with it? Stacking and the UI interfaces seems good but I don't yet see the point in building a base as opposed to just living out of my ship. And if they have automated mining then what exactly is there to do now?

I'm going to restart in survival mode and take it from there. :)

Although honestly I didn't understand the pessimism with people claiming the game would be just left as it was pretty obvious Murray cared about the game.

Really??

He vanished for months. Sean Murray and Hello Games have 0 credibility.

Lets see what they actually deliver first.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Survival mode is a lot tougher. Maybe what I was looking for. Have died do far in 2 attempts of leaving the started planet due to not finding anything to recharge my lifesupport.

edit : 5 attempts now

edit 2: Restarted 4 different times. Was unable to find more than 100 plutonium each time which is required to stay alive on the toxic/cold planets.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Really??

Meh, this is gaming, much like ubi and the host of others releasing buggy to broken games "credibility" does count for much, not until gamers get their own **** together and demand better...can't see that happening.

Really??

He didn't vanish for months, he just didn't communicate. Look at Civ VI, Firaxis didn't communicate for their first patch. We knew there was a patch coming in both cases and honestly, I like the underpromise-overdeliver style, much better than hyping people and talking to them all day every day about how great a patch will be rather than just working on the patch.

You have to get over yourself. Yes, the game was **** on release but the people claiming they wouldn't support the game post-launch are bull****ting as usual.

They don't have 0 credibility at all, far from it. Did they release a product that failed to meet expectations? Yes. But does that mean they are **** developers? No.

Please come back to me when Hello Games are the next Peter Molyneux because one **** up doesn't mean you can never recover especially in the gaming industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

They don't have 0 credibility at all, far from it. Did they release a product that failed to meet expectations? Yes. But does that mean they are **** developers? No.

I really think you can argue that they have very little credibility, and that as developers they don't work well as a team. Sean Murray hasn't done a good job at being a spokesman for Hello Games.
    Even if we forget about the team delivering on their promises, the game was seriously broken on release. The gameplay is not very good. After two or three hours the game became repetitive and a chore. There was so few redeeming qualities. Sure the concept was great, but the team at Hello Games did not pull it off. No Man's Sky was boring. Visually it was gorgeous, but even that died out after you had discovered your tenth planet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is the update live on Steam yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Kiith wrote: »
    Is the update live on Steam yet?
    Yup, mine updated but I had to unpause it (just clicked on NMS in the Library).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

How was the game "seriously broken" Notorious? It worked fine on the PC and Playstation. Just because you didn't like it I didn't either by the way don't mean its broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The distinction between broken and not-at-all-like-advertised-prior-to-release is important here. It's absolutely undoubtedly the latter. Did the game run and it's pieces run? Yeah. Not broken.

Was it at all like what they claimed it would be like, were there parts missing and blatantly different to the sh*te they peddled before release? Yeah. Not the same as broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

How was the game "seriously broken" Notorious? It worked fine on the PC and Playstation. Just because you didn't like it I didn't either by the way don't mean its broken.

This has been well catalogued Temptamperu. I'm not aimlessly bashing the game/devs. I had it on the PS4; half the time I left a space station the game crashed. Also happened at times when I jumped into my spaceship and took off, or when I warped. I remember one incident where I restarted the game six times to warp away from a system. To me, that's broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Update is live on PS4. 2.17GB size

No mans sky has been one of the biggest cons in recent gaming history.

Hello games and Sean Murray make Ubisoft's past issues look good.

How difficult is it to post a Tweet saying they are going to start by working on an update. Sean's still in hiding somewhere. He's probably in the "Game Developer Protection Program" living in Alaska with new indenity :)

Meh, this is gaming, much like ubi and the host of others releasing buggy to broken games "credibility" does count for much, not until gamers get their own **** together and demand better...can't see that happening.

CD Projekt RED.

That is all.

CD Projekt RED.

That is all.

Yeah, that is literally all you're gonna be able to come up with, such is the state of the games industry.

He didn't vanish for months, he just didn't communicate. Look at Civ VI, Firaxis didn't communicate for their first patch. We knew there was a patch coming in both cases and honestly, I like the underpromise-overdeliver style, much better than hyping people and talking to them all day every day about how great a patch will be rather than just working on the patch.

You have to get over yourself. Yes, the game was **** on release but the people claiming they wouldn't support the game post-launch are bull****ting as usual.

Please come back to me when Hello Games are the next Peter Molyneux because one **** up doesn't mean you can never recover especially in the gaming industry.

Sean Murray is a ghost. He got the money and legged it.

Underpromised.... He flat out lied about the content of the game. Hello Games is being investigated for false advertising.

They have 0 credibility.

We are not talking about an AAA game development studio. They are an Indie studio. They are a digrace to hard working indie developers who would have killed for this opportunity.

Yeah, that is literally all you're gonna be able to come up with, such is the state of the games industry.

Techland.... Boom.

• Advertisement

Sean Murray is a ghost. He got the money and legged it.

Underpromised.... He flat out lied about the content of the game. Hello Games is being investigated for false advertising.

They have 0 credibility.

We are not talking about an AAA game development studio. They are an Indie studio. They are a digrace to hard working indie developers who would have killed for this opportunity.

You really have no ****ing idea what you are talking about do you? If you really want to troll that hard The_Donald exists. ;)

Also to the people discussing if the game worked at launch, honestly I'd say it didn't. Sure after what 8 patches it was playable but initially I couldn't even play it smoothly with a GTX 1080...

Advertisement