Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

You really have no ****ing idea what you are talking about do you? If you really want to troll that hard The_Donald exists. ;)

Also to the people discussing if the game worked at launch, honestly I'd say it didn't. Sure after what 8 patches it was playable but initially I couldn't even play it smoothly with a GTX 1080...

Maybe you can counter my post with facts that disprove the following.

A) Sean Murray lied about the content of the game.

B) Hello games are under investigation for false advertisement.

C) That Sean Murray is AWOL

Since I do not know what I am talking about you will be able to disprove these comments no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

No mans sky has been one of the biggest cons in recent gaming history.

Hello games and Sean Murray make Ubisoft's past issues look good.

Sean Murray is a ghost. He got the money and legged it.

Underpromised.... He flat out lied about the content of the game. Hello Games is being investigated for false advertising.

They have 0 credibility.

Jeez Failsafe, hyperbole much? And sure, CDPR stand out as developers who've earned the trust of the fan base but that's as much due to their support after game launch as much as the games themselves. I'm intrigued to see what this and future patches have to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The fact they have released DLC sorta indicates they havent just run off.

Hello Games do have a ways to go to win back the trust of consumers but at least we have a start. They ultimately may fail but im glad to see there is going to be an attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Since I do not know what I am talking about you will be able to disprove these comments no problem.

A. There are so many hours of interviews online anyone can pick and choose to fit their arguement. Only he can say if he deliberately lied.

B. True, but "under investigation" in itself is vague in sofar as none of know the specifics here. There hasn't been any ruling that I'm aware of.

C. He tweeted today regarding the new patch: https://twitter.com/NoMansSky?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Your post doesn't even talk directly about those things.

"Sean Murray is a ghost. He got the money and legged it.

Underpromised.... He flat out lied about the content of the game. Hello Games is being investigated for false advertising.

They have 0 credibility.

We are not talking about an AAA game development studio. They are an Indie studio. They are a digrace to hard working indie developers who would have killed for this opportunity."

Sean Murray is a ghost? Checked his twitter recently? Got the money and legged it? Then why is there a 1.1 update?

Underpromised? You've taken my point out of context to fit your narrative, I'm talking about the patch, not the game itself so the rest of your point here is irrelevant. I never even brought up false advertising or misleading claims about the initial game but to say it was malicious is just hyperbole. Game development is an evolving thing and NMS, in particular, seems rushed, the devs didn't deliberately leave stuff out to mislead us. While I agree with the false advertising claims fundamentally, why didn't people do this for Ubisoft? Bethesda? Or countless other devs? They are being investigated because people got butthurt more about this game than they did for the hundreds of other games with the same problem.

A disgrace to the hard working indie studios? Who the **** are you to claim they aren't hard working?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

saneman wrote: »
    A. There are so many hours of interviews online anyone can pick and choose to fit their arguement. Only he can say if he deliberately lied.
    As they say about politicians though, either he lied or didn't have a clue what was in his own game. Either way he deserves everything he gets.

As they say about politicians though, either he lied or didn't have a clue what was in his own game. Either way he deserves everything he gets.

Or maybe you know game development isn't a fixed process? Features get cut and changed and left out of initial launches and it's a common trend. Look at the cut features of Fallout or GTAV for example. The only issue is Murray publicly talked about these features which may or may not have made the initial launch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

Or maybe you know game development isn't a fixed process? Features get cut and changed and left out of initial launches and it's a common trend. Look at the cut features of Fallout or GTAV for example. The only issue is Murray publicly talked about these features which may or may not have made the initial launch.
    So by your rules he could ship PacMan and you'd give him a bye as he can change absolutely everything about a game whenever he wants before release. The stickers on the box were the best bit. Laughable.
    Everybody works hard. They don't all lie/lie to themselves about what they're selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Hello Games are very talented, their game is technically very impressive, more so than the most games out there. Next time, they should just hire a PR firm and stick at what they do best.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Take it down a notch folks. Discuss the game and studio all you like, but keep it civil.

• Advertisement

saneman wrote: »
    Jeez Failsafe, hyperbole much? And sure, CDPR stand out as developers who've earned the trust of the fan base but that's as much due to their support after game launch as much as the games themselves. I'm intrigued to see what this and future patches have to offer.

Actually I think my appraisal of the situation is spot on and all the evidence backs this up. I am open to people proving me wrong by posting evidence.

The major thing with CDPR is they delivered the content they said would be in the game.

Remember a few days before NMS release Sean Murray tweeted the following

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/759111898675679232

I am also very intrigued to see where they go from here.

Benzino wrote: »
    Hello Games are very talented, their game is technically very impressive, more so than the most games out there. Next time, they should just hire a PR firm and stick at what they do best.

Exactly this, the problem with Hello Games is they all seem to be just developers of some kind. This doesn't do well for PR as seen with Firaxis recently with really little talk about when a patch will fix the issues with Civ VI and then suddenly a patch arrives out of nowhere.

Exactly this, the problem with Hello Games is they all seem to be just developers of some kind. This doesn't do well for PR as seen with Firaxis recently with really little talk about when a patch will fix the issues with Civ VI and then suddenly a patch arrives out of nowhere.
    The problem with Hello Games was Sean Murray's blatant lies and overall lack of integrity.

Its actually a great shame because as a poster mentioned earlier the technical ability of the team at Hello Games is really good.

Sean Murray should have been honest about the game and priced it at €30 but instead he got greedy and went ahead with the launch and then stayed tight lipped for months. Hello games and Sean Murray went quiet across all social media where they were posting frequently pre-launch.

I think the gaming community would have rallied behind them if Sean was honest. It was still a hell of an achievement for an indie developer. When it came out they should have outlined a plan to address the game moving forward.

Sean did a great disservice to No Mans Sky which should have been remembered for its technical achievement but instead its now remembered as a pre-ordering warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Anybody tried creative?

Be interested to see how that works. Be nice if could explore the build options in creative and see what ye can do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Started it up there, the planet I was on had my ship buried underground as the regenerated the universe. Found a cave underneath and had to dig my way up using grenades. Once in the ship, I was able to fly through the ground.

Played it for an hour there on Survival, and it's bloody tough. Died multiple times, and only just managed to get to my ship. Can't find any Heridium to fix the engines though. Very little health, radiated planet and running out of power for my life support. Should be interesting to see if i can find some nearby.

The problem with Hello Games was Sean Murray's blatant lies and overall lack of integrity.

Its actually a great shame because as a poster mentioned earlier the technical ability of the team at Hello Games is really good.

Sean Murray should have been honest about the game and priced it at €30 but instead he got greedy and went ahead with the launch and then stayed tight lipped for months. Hello games and Sean Murray went quiet across all social media where they were posting frequently pre-launch.

I think the gaming community would have rallied behind them if Sean was honest. It was still a hell of an achievement for an indie developer. When it came out they should have outlined a plan to address the game moving forward.

Sean did a great disservice to No Mans Sky which should have been remembered for its technical achievement but instead its now remembered as a pre-ordering warning.

One minute hello games is a disgrace to the "hard working" indie studios and now you praise their technical ability. Which is it?

"We are not talking about an AAA game development studio. They are an Indie studio. They are a digrace to hard working indie developers who would have killed for this opportunity."

Anyway, messed around with 1.1 tonight. Found a few bugs when pushing the limits of building in creative mode, getting stuck inside things and various weird things happening when I tried to make a big square room on a freighter. Other than that it's a positive step, the core gameplay still feels lacking though, just have to hope they focus in on encouraging exploration through varied quests and such soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Definite improvements in the hour or two I played there, just on my existing save. Planets seem noticeably denser with flora and fauna - if they're not dead planets of course! Ditto asteroid fields, which are now massive and jam-packed. Magnificent seeing full on fleets of freighters, definitely adds to the sense of scale. Freighters don't seem as expensive to buy as I feared either, only around a million credits off so must go find a planet with a few of the rarer resources (resource scanning from space is a godsend quality-of-life addition). Notable improvements to the UI especially the quick access menu. And while I've only messed around briefly the building seems as intuitive and easy as the video suggested. Only downside was two crashes - don't think I'd experienced any before, so that's a shame. Oh, and I got attacked by aggressive creatures everytime I stepped out of my ship on a new planet, which I don't remember happening before :pac:

Definitely reckon it'll only be a real gamechanger if you're playing in the new modes - but it's a seriously impressive update for a few months work. Even two or three more updates like this and they'll have done a damn good job building on the base (ho!) - I always liked the game in the first place, of course, but it's already a fuller game with these additions.

One minute hello games is a disgrace to the "hard working" indie studios and now you praise their technical ability. Which is it?

"We are not talking about an AAA game development studio. They are an Indie studio. They are a digrace to hard working indie developers who would have killed for this opportunity."
    Technical ability has nothing to do with where Hello Games went wrong. Sean Murray as the CEO of Hello Games is to blame for the No mans sky disaster.

Check out his latest tweet apologising and taking responsibility for his actions.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/802814492195295232

A poor us tweet. He can dry his tears with the millions of pre-order money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Given what's gone on, I can't really understand how anyone can defend or even hope that anything Hello Games is approximating truth.

Their "tech demo" was a shadow of the game promised, and while we all bear that responsibility as gamers who might have bought that, nothing that they say is worth anything given their record and people are rightfully cynical about what is a"foundation" patch and not actually anthing meaningful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Given what's gone on, I can't really understand how anyone can defend or even hope that anything Hello Games is approximating truth.

Their "tech demo" was a shadow of the game promised, and while we all bear that responsibility as gamers who might have bought that, nothing that they say is worth anything given their record and people are rightfully cynical about what is a"foundation" patch and not actually anthing meaningful.

I'd much rather a company that tries to fix what went wrong than the likes of what some other larger companies do like releasing broken, buggy games and then f*cking off (Arkham Knight PC, Arkham Origins consoles, numerous Assassin's Creed games, Skyrim PS3, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5).

They're trying to fix the game. They're trying to give people what they promised and imo, better late than never. They made a hell of a lot of mistakes and they clearly know that, and both their name and their IP will always be synonymous with those mistakes.

But Christ lads, give them a chance to at least try and put right their wrongs. At least they're attempting to do so.

And as for how quiet they were on Twitter, what good would it have done if they had been tweeting/responding? They'd spend hours each day just apologising. It would have served no purpose.

I haven't bought/played the game so perhaps my anger towards them is lessened, but I know I'd much rather they try and add things (which admittedly should have been in the game to begin with) to make the game worth the money people paid for it than just try and fix bugs/glitches and then apologise and be done with it.

They f*cked up. They know it. We know it. They're trying to fix it and make amends. Give them a chance.

I can't wait to get home and play it some more. It's actually quite tough, and i like that in a game like this. Love the idea of getting a base setup, and being able to explore a bit, rather than just barely survive while trying to reach my ship. That 7 minute walk took way longer than i'd have expected with how irradiated my planet is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭Wossack

not sure of the others, Arkham Knight PC is very playable - lot of work put in following their pretty disasterous initial release

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Well, I'll be a monkeys uncle....

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I played it for I think, 30 hours and enjoyed it. It wasn't what was promised (and that's not ok) but I enjoyed my time with it. I'm kinda taking it as a kickstarted Early Access game and hope that they can put things right.

I do question the wisdom of base building being the first thing they tackled but ok... let see where it goes. I'll probably sit out this iteration because GODDAMNED STEAM SALE (I just got 5 awesome games for 100 bucks but jeez I aint got time for any of them!!:))

So, lets hope they build a great game more like they promised.

Technical ability has nothing to do with where Hello Games went wrong. Sean Murray as the CEO of Hello Games is to blame for the No mans sky disaster.

Check out his latest tweet apologising and taking responsibility for his actions.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/802814492195295232

A poor us tweet. He can dry his tears with the millions of pre-order money :)

You've done it again, nothing you are saying has anything to do with the people working at Hello Games who you called a "disgrace" to "hard working" indie studios. Sean Murray is not Hello Games he's just the owner, not every employee.

You also do know this game probably cost in the millions over the 4 years? So please stop talking as if Murray is now loaded with cash like Notch or something. Will they have made a profit? Yeah probably. Does Murray take all of that money? No, the company does. To claim otherwise is just a pathetic excuse to criticise him and the game.

If you want to criticise the game then you can do that without damaging the characters of people working there. I can do it so why aren't you? There comes a point where hating for the sake of hating is just not going to work. And if you think I'm defending the game from criticism I'll have you know I gave it a negative review on steam because of no communication about a potential patch. I won't be changing my review now either because the core gameplay is still lacking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think that in the incredibly unlikely event Sean Murray is the Machiavellian anti-Christ Danny Ocean he's painted as in the more hyperbolic corners of the Internet - he's doing a really bad ****ing job at taking the money and running right now.

DeVore wrote: »
    I played it for I think, 30 hours and enjoyed it. It wasn't what was promised (and that's not ok) but I enjoyed my time with it. I'm kinda taking it as a kickstarted Early Access game and hope that they can put things right.

I do question the wisdom of base building being the first thing they tackled but ok... let see where it goes. I'll probably sit out this iteration because GODDAMNED STEAM SALE (I just got 5 awesome games for 100 bucks but jeez I aint got time for any of them!!:))

So, lets hope they build a great game more like they promised.

Well, it seems proper fleets are in the game like they originally claimed too. Seems more than just base building which while cool is just masking the core problems.

I'd say a few more months and the game might actually have replayability. I also got about 33 hours in the game but since then boredom, the base building and freighters probably gives most people an extra 10 hours maybe.

About 10 people here at work absolutely despise No Man's Sky and talk about Sean Murray as if he is the second coming of the antichrist, not a single one of them has played the game and basing their opinion on the nonsense they have read online. I assume that many of the games most fevered critics on here come from a similar position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Hmm, will keep an eye on this now. Might actually buy it down the line if they flesh it out a bit. I felt even coming up to launch that it seemed a little light on content beyond "Wow, look how many planets" and unfortunately that appears to have been the case, but it looks like a good base to build on if they're prepared to do so.

Advertisement