Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I get the feeling this is too little too late. The hype has died down and I don't see this generating much added interest unless they can drastically overhaul the core game loop which doesn't really seem to support base creation the way it is right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I get the feeling this is too little too late. The hype has died down and I don't see this generating much added interest unless they can drastically overhaul the core game loop which doesn't really seem to support base creation the way it is right now.

In fairness though, it's got a fairly massive owner base, still showing 800K on Steamspy. At this stage it has to be more about redeeming the situation by supporting those with ongoing content development, rather than trying to get new sales.

(Daily concurrent users jumped to over 8000 yesterday from 572 the week before).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This reminds me of nothing less than the release of Driveclub, another headliner for Sony that absolutely stank at release.
    It was the very epitome of over promising and under delivering and yet, after a lot of work and updates it became possibly one of the best racing games on any platform right now.
    Time hasn't healed the disgust felt by the gaming community at the titles frankly unfinished release, with box bound features not being present on launch, plus there was the PS+ debacle too that took an age to sort out, but now, it is an outstanding title.
    No Man's Sky is nothing like that degree of disaster.
    It worked on release, well on PS4 at least, and while expected features weren't present it at least had all the boxes ticked with the actual feature list on any promo material.
    The new update is a literal game changer, I started a creative mode game there and I'm looking forward to exploring and having some fun with it, the slog now removed, while my initial, now called "chill" game save is still there for me.
    I realise too that there will be more improvements over time, and I can't wait to see where Hello Games takes me.

An interesting way to sell the game into the future, or perhaps how they could have started, is to give the initial build away and charge for the sort of update we have just gotten, but have it ready much much earlier, might have reframed the whole release, felt more like the shareware of yesteryear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

You've done it again, nothing you are saying has anything to do with the people working at Hello Games who you called a "disgrace" to "hard working" indie studios. Sean Murray is not Hello Games he's just the owner, not every employee.

To simplify it for you Sean Murray as CEO and founder of Hello Games is the captain of the ship. He put Hello games on a collision course with a major iceberg and when the ship hit he was in the lifeboat and gone before even the crew knew what had happened.
    you also do know this game probably cost in the millions over the 4 years? So please stop talking as if Murray is now loaded with cash like Notch or something. Will they have made a profit? Yeah probably. Does Murray take all of that money? No, the company does. To claim otherwise is just a pathetic excuse to criticise him and the game.

A game like GTAV costs millions to make and about a thousand people worked on it and they charged an AAA game price.

No mans sky - 16 people worked on it and the game was priced as an AAA title.

Sean's company and Sean have cleaned up.
    If you want to criticise the game then you can do that without damaging the characters of people working there. I can do it so why aren't you? There comes a point where hating for the sake of hating is just not going to work. And if you think I'm defending the game from criticism I'll have you know I gave it a negative review on steam because of no communication about a potential patch. I won't be changing my review now either because the core gameplay is still lacking.
    Its just you are so invested in No mans sky you assume every criticism is hate. I am completely unbiased since I didn't buy the game but I have played it.

My concern is the damage that Sean/Hello Games have done to the indie games community. When I think of indie game studios I always think integrity and goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Can you build in the normal mode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Penn wrote: »
    I'd much rather a company that tries to fix what went wrong than the likes of what some other larger companies do like releasing broken, buggy games and then f*cking off (Arkham Knight PC, Arkham Origins consoles, numerous Assassin's Creed games, Skyrim PS3, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5).

They f*cked up. They know it. We know it. They're trying to fix it and make amends. Give them a chance.

I'm all for giving them a chance, agreed. That doesn't excuse the way the game was put out and marketed, and that wasn't just Sony. Features not in the game that were said to be in the game. The price point. Media blackout after release. Etc etc.

The optimistic side of me says, sure - give them a chance to fix their mess and maybe it'll end up as a good game. People still paid full whack for what was very-little like advertised. Like I said, the cynical side of me thinks "I don't trust these lads given the stroke they pulled and I think they're now trying to cash in on Christmas". I hope that's not the case though.

When the game released, they were getting a hiding across various parts of the internet and social media. A company that had been so vocal prior to game release suddenly goes dark in the face of scathing criticism. It looks bad. It's taken far to long for some kind of acknowledgement that they cocked up to come out, and even now I'm not feeling any kind of genuine remorse or responsibility from what's coming out of HG. And why would there be? Sure they have all the cash at this point, they must be delighted with themselves, and fair play to them.

For the record, once I stuck a few mods onto it, and removed resource gathering, gave myself a large ship and allowed low flight, I enjoyed the game. It's relaxing just exploring, flying around. Which was the point of the thing in the first place.

I'm happy to give them a chance, I just have no faith in their efforts and won't be getting any of their games again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Failsafe, you haven't bought the game?
    Then how come your voice is the loudest and most adamant that reparations be made, sack cloth and ashes, cross carrying or whatever other misery you care to heap upon Hello Games and Sean Murray in particular?
    Wow, I thought at least you have invested along with the rest of us and so had a horse in the race and reason to be upset with your investment.
    Instead, what, you had a go and have been feeding the sense of persecution ever since?
    Have to say, that's disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

To simplify it for you Sean Murray as CEO and founder of Hello Games is the captain of the ship. He put Hello games on a collision course with a major iceberg and when the ship hit he was in the lifeboat and gone before even the crew knew what had happened.

A game like GTAV costs millions to make and about a thousand people worked on it and they charged an AAA game price.

No mans sky - 16 people worked on it and the game was priced as an AAA title.

Sean's company and Sean have cleaned up.

Its just you are so invested in No mans sky you assume every criticism is hate. I am completely unbiased since I didn't buy the game but I have played it.

My concern is the damage that Sean/Hello Games have done to the indie games community. When I think of indie game studios I always think integrity and goodwill.

You're still doing it..... Please stop and listen to what you are saying for a second.

Stop pulling stuff out of your arse, please. Your first response doesn't even address the hypocrisy you've just committed. One minute it's Sean Murray, next minute it's the developers of Hello Games collectively, next minute it's Sean Murray. You can't turn around and imply they are lazy developers who disgrace the industry and then claim they have great technical ability.... If NMS shows their technical ability then how is that lazy? They've slaved away on a patch clearly for a while too so how is that lazy?

If Sean Murray was in a ****ing "lifeboat" as you call it then why is he still working on the game? Explain that to me?

Your second comment doesn't even work either I'm afraid. GTAV cost about 247 million pounds to achieve including marketing, audio etc. How does that in any way mean an indie game doesn't cost substantial amounts of money to make either? You are aware too that their office was flooded and most equipment damaged during development?

What does the pricing have to do with that point either? I didn't bring up the price... I would even agree the price is way too much but most AAA titles aren't even worth the money anymore so I put it as an industry issue.

The last bolded statement, go back and read what I have said in the thread. I gave the game a NEGATIVE review on steam for **** sake. I don't even think this update will interest me in the game again but what I hate is criticism which is utter bull**** like your comments claiming Sean Murray is nowhere to be seen, they are disgrace to indie developers, Sean Murray has run off with the "millions" he now magically has in his private bank account in Panama etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Can you build in the normal mode?

Yes you can but you'll obviously need resources and stuff. I couldn't build in freighters until I got a base on a planet though for some reason.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Failsafe, you haven't bought the game?
    Then how come your voice is the loudest and most adamant that reparations be made, sack cloth and ashes, cross carrying or whatever other misery you care to heap upon Hello Games and Sean Murray in particular?
    Wow, I thought at least you have invested along with the rest of us and so had a horse in the race and reason to be upset with your investment.
    Instead, what, you had a go and have been feeding the sense of persecution ever since?
    Have to say, that's disappointing.
    Oh, I am sorry. I wasn't aware I had to purchase the game to be entitled to give my opinion on the matter :D

I have a heart so watching gamers being mislead, getting conned out of their money and then completely ignored for over 3 months is not something I take lightly.

I like to think of myself as the voice of the silent majority. Not everyone can express their opinion and deal with the barrage of opposing comments :cool:

Its not just purchasers that are effected. It has great implications on the games industry. What about indie game developers seeking investment in their projects. Thanks to Sean Murray that task is going to be much more difficult.

Sean Murray should have blazed a trail for other indie devs to follow. Instead he damaged the indie game development community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Oh, I am sorry. I wasn't aware I had to purchase the game to be entitled to give my opinion on the matter :D

I have a heart so watching gamers being mislead, getting conned out of their money and then completely ignored for over 3 months is not something I take lightly.

I like to think of myself as the voice of the silent majority. Not everyone can express their opinion and deal with the barrage of opposing comments :cool:

Its not just purchasers that are effected. It has great implications on the games industry. What about indie game developers seeking investment in their projects. Thanks to Sean Murray that task is going to be much more difficult.

Sean Murray should have blazed a trail for other indie devs to follow. Instead he damaged the indie game development community.

Ah, so you're the white knight no one asked for, wanted nor needed.

You can have an opinion sure, but your inflated sense of persecution on behalf of others isn't exactly valid. You didn't invest your money like others did, nor the time.

You played the game, great. Its not the same as investing time and money like others have.

You say not everyone can express their opinion and deal with the barrage? I say no one wants the attention like you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

You don't think you have to have played the game in order to form an opinion on it?
    I like to think of myself as the voice of the silent majority.
    Do you? Good for you. I'm sure they're all very grateful.
    According to Steamspy, there's 700,000 owners on Steam alone. It sold exceedingly well. If I was an investor I'd probably be fairly pleased. It certainly wouldn't put me off investing in indie games in the future.

MOH wrote: »
    You don't think you have to have played the game in order to form an opinion on it?
    About the gameplay itself absolutely and I have played about 30 hours of it. I just didn't purchase it. Imagine how upset I'd be if I paid for it ;)

We are not talking the contents of the game though. We are talking about the content that never made it into the game. This was critical content that No mans sky was heavily marketed on. Even the overall picture that was painted as a No mans sky experience was completely misleading.
    MOH wrote: »
    According to Steamspy, there's 700,000 owners on Steam alone. It sold exceedingly well. If I was an investor I'd probably be fairly pleased. It certainly wouldn't put me off investing in indie games in the future.

Here is another metric you forgot on Steam. The reviews.

Overwhelmingly Negative (5,363 reviews)
    OVERALL: Mostly Negative (78,731 reviews)

Having worked with investors I can give you some insight to investment. An investor isn't looking at one game/one product. They want an investment that pays off in the long term. If they invest in a studio they want the next 10 years of game production to yield good results. You can imagine how the failure of no mans sky would effect their investment value by itself. If they had shares in Hello Games how valuable would those shares be now..... very little I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

There have been a lot of people in this thread since the games release that havent bought,and in some cases im guessing,not even played the game!!

Using reddit threads and cherry picked youtube videos to 'prove' their point. Stated it ages ago myself,you could tell by the comments they hadnt played the game at all.

Certainly think anyone is entitled to an opinion on the game but the level of grievance shown by some who havent invested finacially or time wise was way out of proportion for me.

Some might say they were even looking for social justice....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I pirated it after the first real reviews came out, no way was I paying €60 for that mess. Let them release 4 or 5 more updates like the foundation one and I might be tempted to buy it and play again. Its still a woefully pointless game though, how come space sims for 10-20 years ago had more weapons and features to make the space-sim part interesting for the player? Still only one crappy weapon for ship to ship combat?

EoinHef wrote: »
    There have been a lot of people in this thread since the games release that havent bought,and in some cases im guessing,not even played the game!!

Using reddit threads and cherry picked youtube videos to 'prove' their point. Stated it ages ago myself,you could tell by the comments they hadnt played the game at all.

Certainly think anyone is entitled to an opinion on the game but the level of grievance shown by some who havent invested finacially or time wise was way out of proportion for me.

Some might say they were even looking for social justice....

Put them all in a corner and label them as social justice warriors and claim they never played the game.

I am afraid that is just a lazy response. If you disagree with peoples opinions offer a counter point or even evidence to support the points you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Gonna leave this for a while, went on a jumponium inspired run and reckon I am further away from the centre then when I began.

Does look interesting building stuff, if only I could get help :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

Glico Man wrote: »
    You played the game, great. Its not the same as investing time and money like others have.
    Wrong way around. If you didn't pay for a game you're far more likely to give an objective opinion on it. By your own admission you have "invested" in the game.

Put them all in a corner and label them as social justice warriors and claim they never played the game.

I am afraid that is just a lazy response. If you disagree with peoples opinions offer a counter point or even evidence to support the points you make.

How can i present evidence on an opinion?

I happen to disagree with you on some of the issues around this game. I also happen to agree with you on others. No evidence can prove either of us right.

You said earlier you are a 'defender of the silent majority',so you seek justice from hello games for that silent majority. Just sayin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

You said earlier you are a 'defender of the silent majority',
    Yip, he said that.
    so you seek justice from hello games for that silent majority. Just sayin
    Nope, he didn't say that. Bit of a giveaway the way couldn't quote him on the second bit.
    Let's face it, you're just trying to shoehorn some SJW/GG agenda in here. Yeah sure, we're all going to hate him now because you said he's part of internet tribe X.

• Advertisement

Yip, he said that.Nope, he didn't say that. Bit of a giveaway the way couldn't quote him on the second bit.
    Let's face it, you're just trying to shoehorn some SJW/GG agenda in here. Yeah sure, we're all going to hate him now because you said he's part of internet tribe X.

No agenda here and i couldnt give two hoots about GG and that part of the internet.

Ill rephrase it,some people have their pitchforks out with no other reason than being the 'defender of the silent majority'. They have no interst in playing the game or spending money on it but only in bashing it from afar. While all the time thinking they are protecting a silent minority.

How can i present evidence on an opinion?

You said earlier you are a 'defender of the silent majority',so you seek justice from hello games for that silent majority. Just sayin

I see you have twisted my words in order to tell a completely different narrative.

This is what I said.

I never mention seeking any justice what so ever and haven't in this thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Final warning to keep it civil folks, posters on each side of this debate being unnecessarily confrontational and personal.

I see you have twisted my words in order to tell a completely different narrative.

This is what I said.

I never mention seeking any justice what so ever and haven't in this thread.

Your posts say you speak in the silent majorities stead as you can take the barrage of opposite opinion. Is this not defending them? You feel like,your words,that you represent them?

I dont see how im twisting anything.

No agenda here and i couldnt give two hoots about GG and that part of the internet.

Ill rephrase it,some people have their pitchforks out with no other reason than being the 'defender of the silent majority'. They have no interst in playing the game or spending money on it but only in bashing it from afar. While all the time thinking they are protecting a silent minority.

You added the word defender. I just stated I was posting an opinion that aligns with the silent majority.

Your theory is all wrong but thats hardly a surprise. Do you really think the only critics of Hello Games dodgy business practices and No mans sky gameplay would be
    A) People who are not interested in NMS.
    B) People who wouldn't have spent money on it.

I have played NMS for 30 hours and I was a potential customer waiting to buy. As a potential customer I wanted to see an acknowledgement from Sean Murray that they had messed up and a content plan for the remainder of 2016/2017 and an appropriate price. Not much to ask for really. I wasn't looking for him to dragged by a horse down O'Connell street :)

As I said before its too easy to label people in a group to discredit their opinion. That would be like me claiming that everyone who bought No Mans Sky is suffering from 'NMS Stockholm Syndrome'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Landed on a completely barren planet earlier. One of the smaller details in the Foundation update is that music doesn't play when you're on dead planets. It's a minor change compared to some of the completely new systems introduced, but it actually really helps amplify (or should I say quieten) one of the things I've loved about this game - that sense of utter isolation and loneliness. I've possibly likened it to a hiking simulator before (albeit hiking with intergalactic space travel) and that never felt clearer then on this totally deserted planet. With the vague hum of wind the only soundtrack, it really does capture that feeling of being totally alone on in an overwhelming vast space. For me it's great relaxed gaming - no worries about an overarching goal, only minimal effort needed for basic survival, and always countless new galaxies and planets to take a chance on. (Also think the ability to leave other explorers messages is a welcome touch and another of the sort of more passive multiplayer elements that IMO Hello always seemed to aiming for).

The planets themselves continue to impress, and definite improvements to the rendering help. Beyond the hyper-outrage, beyond the legitimate disappointment, beyond even the frustrating systems, No Man's Sky is still able to offer up some of the most beautiful views in all of gaming. I've already come across a few planets that feel notably lusher and more densely packed with foliage or animals in the new patch. That these landscapes have been generated randomly - albeit by an obviously artful and considered rule set & asset base - makes them feel more meaningful and, well, alien. Procedural generation this aesthetically fetching, confident and consistent will hopefully be one of the lasting legacies of No Man's Sky to be built on and adapted for other sorts of experiences. Particularly impressed with this snowy planet I stumbled across:

20161128205225_1.jpg

20161128205757_1.jpg

If this update made the planets themselves much lonelier, the opposite is true for the 'social hubs' - and that's also to be welcomed. There's only a couple more aliens hanging around space stations now, but that makes a big difference in making them feel more alive. When I arrived in one new galaxy I was thrown straight into a space battle surrounding a huge fleet. When the fighters where down, I got summoned by one of the freighter's captains and was given some handy resources as a reward. Again, a relatively short sequence but something that helps further enhance that sense of pulpy, epic science-fiction Hello have definitely been aiming for from the off.

The core gameplay loop undoubtedly remains similar in normal mode, but the enhancements both small and more significant go a notable distance towards addressing flaws while enhancing existing strengths. I can't imagine myself spending more than a couple of sessions more with foundation alone, but it definitely gives it a shakeup and plenty of reason of confidence about the future direction of the game (I see the code-diggers have already uncovered references to space buggies - yes please :))

You added the word defender. I just stated I was posting an opinion that aligns with the silent majority.

Your theory is all wrong but thats hardly a surprise. Do you really think the only critics of Hello Games dodgy business practices and No mans sky gameplay would be
    A) People who are not interested in NMS.
    B) People who wouldn't have spent money on it.

I have played NMS for 30 hours and I was a potential customer waiting to buy. As a potential customer I wanted to see an acknowledgement from Sean Murray that they had messed up and a content plan for the remainder of 2016/2017 and an appropriate price. Not much to ask for really. I wasn't looking for him to dragged by a horse down O'Connell street :)

As I said before its too easy to label people in a group to discredit their opinion. That would be like me claiming that everyone who bought No Mans Sky is suffering from 'NMS Stockholm Syndrome'

I didnt imply that people who havent bought/played the game cant have an opinion on it,in fact i said that of course people are entitled to their opinion regardless of their level of investment in the game.

What i did say was the indignation from some posters who havent bought or played the game was over the top.

Id agree the game could have done with what your saying there,the lack of a roadmap was troubling. Until yesterday i didnt know if the game i paid €60 for was going to get any updates at all. Which is obviously not a good thing and id agree hello games are to blame there. Then again i can see why they didnt say anything,theres such a negativity around the game now,some of that is also well desrved...but no matter what they said it was never going to be enough for some. So they decided to say nothing and work on the game and come out with something to say when they also had something to show. At least with this update there was no over representing as they didnt talk about it till it was out. Which is an approach i can get behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Well I can only speak for myself and my own time with NMS (about 60hrs prior to Foundation). I bought the game on PC at launch and deliberately avoided any articles/vids on the game because I wanted whatever experiences to be had to be my own. And I was lucky, I had zero issues (bugs/glitches/CTD/corrupt saves) playing the game and I realise I'm in the minority here.

What I found was a game that gave me genuine "wow" moments (and a few "wtf" ones, but even some of these put a smile on my face). Here I had a game where I could travel through a massive universe, land on a lush planet and look to the horizon and see a moon/planet knowing I could get in my ship and fly there. It was by no means perfect and once I found what irked me most I added a few mods and a keymapper to allow joystick use and this helped immensely. I always figured I'd tire after experiencing what was on offer, long before reaching any "end point" (turns out there wasn't one) and that was the case here as it has been with many sandbox games I've played.

I'm glad the HG are still working on the title, personally I don't vilify them or any individual for over-ambition, we'll have to wait and see what they bring to future updates but Foundation is promising and I may yet head back to the "black" (or "purpley/mauve")

At least with this update there was no over representing as they didnt talk about it till it was out. Which is an approach i can get behind.

Yep, there's a lot to be said for the approach, especially given the toxicity surrounding the game. Imagine they'd announced plans earlier on, and in the course of standard development they realised certain features weren't feasible and had to drop, delay or change them. One of the main criticisms directed their way was overpromising, and while lack of communication is undoubtedly frustrating, at the same time there's plenty to be said about delivering updates that contain exactly what they say it will. Action counts more than mere words, after all :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Survival is bloody tough. Eventually managed to get off the starter planet (which was a bitch due to how radioactive it was), only to get blown to bit by some pirates. Then i landed on a new planet, and had to go searching through more radiation for plutonium. Took bloody ages.

It's slow going, but it's very enjoyable so far.

Advertisement