Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It's on sale with Steam, is it now worth buying at new price and updates?

Read the thread - No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Still an empty sandbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

No. Zillah is pretty much on the money with how the 'game' works. I wouldn't pay a fiver for it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Can you build bridges in this game?

That's what the updates are for ;)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I spent 31 hours in the game and genuinely enjoyed them. For 31 quid I'd say that was value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I ended up inadvertently arguing with someone on a page on FB over this game, trying my damnedest to defend it. Let's just say I got brought to the size of a pea. Over liking a game that a majority of people hate.

"Thank god this lad doesn't review games, he'd have them all 10/10 Must Buy"

Because f**k you for liking a game that we hate. :(

I still find myself coming back to the game every now and then just to mess around. It's good for what it does, at least. I don't care that the devs seemingly "lied" about the game's content. I'm of the belief that it was pushed way too early. I don't know if the promised features will make their appearance, I'm just enjoying the game for what it is. And what it is, on its own, is a pretty decent experience. It's worth at least one try for that, if you can ignore the hype.

I don't know, I'm easily pleased and I'm always happy to play a lot of games and not get bored. Unfortunately that's a bad way to be on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Did I read somewhere that this is getting a VR patch or was I imagining it because this in vr would be proper good

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Did I read somewhere that this is getting a VR patch or was I imagining it because this in vr would be proper good

I recall them talking about it but no sure if they are working on it TBH. Would be unreal in VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If they do release a VR patch, it would make me make that final step to picking up a Pro and VR. This kind of game would be perfect for VR, because if any of ye played Titans of Space (I played it on the Gear VR), you would know that Space Exploration is amazing in VR. VR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

If they do release a VR patch, it would make me make that final step to picking up a Pro and VR. This kind of game would be perfect for VR, because if any of ye played Titans of Space (I played it on the Gear VR), you would know that Space Exploration is amazing in VR. VR.
    Titans of Space on the Rift DK1 sold me on what VR could offer but it is an "on rails" experience. To be truly successful VR needs to implemented (or at least considered) from the start of development, "patching it in" is not a simple matter and for already released titles has only really worked for in-car/in-cockpit games (eg. Euro Truck Sim/Elite Dangerous).

NMS is currently a mix of 1st/3rd person and while VR may work for spacecraft (and in fact could elevate that aspect of the game) I don't think it would be successful for vehicles as they stand now anyway i.e. 3rd person only. With the first person on-foot view it's difficult to say, the controls are responsive but it's by no means a twitch-type shooter so external planetary exploration could really work. It's the cave tunnels/building corridors I think could be nausea inducing.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,236 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Elite:Dangerous will be out for PS4 in the next few months. Would be surprised if they don't make use of the PSVR.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

v1.3 due to be released this week.

Ability to quick travel using portals and updates to the story.

Not to sure what to make of this so far as they haven't given any more info but hopefully more features will be mentioned in the patch notes:
    Update 1.3 will release this week and will be available for free to all No Man’s Sky players. We’re calling it Atlas Rises. It focuses on improving the central story of No Man’s Sky and adds the ability to quick travel between locations using portals. Patch notes will be made available shortly before the update goes live.

https://www.nomanssky.com/2017/08/update-1-3-atlas-rises-coming-soon/

'It focuses on improving the central story of No Man's Sky'. lol, that ship has long since sailed. **** game.

J Mysterio wrote:
    'It focuses on improving the central story of No Man's Sky'. lol, that ship has long since sailed. **** game.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Fantastic contribution yourself. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I do find the idea of improving the central 'story' at this point to be a little absurd.

J Mysterio wrote:
    Fantastic contribution yourself.

Says your man

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

*unfollows thread*

Let them enhance it. The original 'story' was very light on, well, anything. But if they're improving it, it may make me go back and finish the current galaxy, get to the centre and start anew with the new story.

Regardless of what everyone says, i haven't seen any other developer stay with their game and update it (for free) after such a backlash. I think Hello Games should be commended on that. Yes, the release was a bit of a farce, but unlike most, i still think i got my value for money from it.

Haven't played it since just before the Pathfinder update, so i have a lot to go back to. I was intending on waiting until the 'final' release, and start anew as if it was a new game. But, depending on what they do to the story, i might go back to it soon.

And, for everyone else, yes, we know, you think it's ****, grand. Leave the thread for those of us who actually enjoy it, we don't need to hear the same opinion over and over again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Regardless of what everyone says, i haven't seen any other developer stay with their game and update it (for free) after such a backlash. I think Hello Games should be commended on that.

Yes, fair fucks to them for that. I'd be tempted to have a mental breakdown and disconnect my internet if I was Sean after the reception the game got.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

After the whole waking titan arg thing and how long it went on for this update appears to be pretty disappointing to me. Fast travel is already in the game to some degree and really cant imagine them being able to do loads with the narrative.

Cant help but think there at it again,big statement like the arg which promises a lot but then when we get to see what it actually is its an update that doesnt look that impressive.

Ill wait for the patch notes and see how it pans out before fully making my mind up but again it looks like loads of hype,very little delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Quick travel between locations! Now you can revisit all the utterly bland, pointless deserts you never wanted to see again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

There was a story? I'll be keeping an eye, and might return to the game in the future.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hows the base building?

Hows the base building?

Haven't tried it myself yet, but some people have created seriously impressive bases. Of course, lots of Star Wars themes going on. Check out this IGN article (I know) and it's from Jan of this year, so i can only imagine what's been done since!

I think, going forward, it would work if HG started to create 'city' planets that are central hubs of commerce and games, missions and bounties, etc. Might be hard to create, but that, imo, would be extremely helpful in getting the game to where they originally wanted i reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-11-no-mans-sky-update-1-3-adds-30-hours-of-story-and-much-more

Looks like a major update and again everything moving in the right direction.

Pure speculation but it looks more and more like Sony rushed this out and HG are now getting the chance to make the game they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-11-no-mans-sky-update-1-3-adds-30-hours-of-story-and-much-more

Looks like a major update and again everything moving in the right direction.

Pure speculation but it looks more and more like Sony rushed this out and HG are now getting the chance to make the game they wanted.

Game probably should have been delayed a year at least. I taught the game on launch wasn't bad, just bare bones. Nice to see this update. I wouldn't have blamed them if they moved onto a new project last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Have to say this game certainly has made a drastic difference from when it first launched.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/08/11/introducing-no-mans-sky-atlas-rises/
    • 30 hours of branching story and deeper lore
    • Procedurally generated guild missions
    • Much deeper interstellar trading
    • Star Systems have varying wealth, conflict and economies
    • Overhauled Space combat controls, weapons and AI
    • Portals stargates enable quick travel
    • Terrain manipulation for more complex bases
    • New farming and mining interactions bring increased depth
    • Increased biome variety and Rare exotic biomes
    • Analysis visor & discovery improvements
    • Galaxy map and many other UI improvements
    • New S Class ship designs
    • Low altitude flight and the ability to crash your ship
    • Crashed Freighters to salvage on planets
    • Joint exploration
    Full Patch Notes

• Advertisement

DeSelby83 wrote: »

I was thinking this myself. Actually, i think it's obvious at this stage. The elements they're adding now, such as the fast travel, the basics were there but it obviously wasn't finished in time. Sony definitely put pressure on HG to release, and of course they can never say that.

Anyway, it looks like this update may bring be back into the game! Good things from HG!

Advertisement