Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I actually enjoyed the game when it came out. It wasn't perfect but I still liked it. After the 1st big update, I was no longer able to play the game, I suddenly didn't meet the minimum requirements. Pretty cheesed off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Joint Exploration?

Looks like they'be done a decent amount in this update. May actually be time to go back and give it a few hours and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Hmmmm. I never bought this but I'm sort of tempted now. Next time it's on sale.

Edit - wait it's €14.49 at the moment. Feck it, will buy when I get home.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Joint Exploration?

Looks like they'be done a decent amount in this update. May actually be time to go back and give it a few hours and see.

Hmmm,joint exploration shows other players as little orb things. I wonder if its shares what we see though,like if start to mine a deposit will another player see me mining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Was curious to see how this is after the patched so I reinstalled.

I spend a really enjoyable 25 hours with it when it first came out before I got fed up.

Hopefully there's a bit more variety now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

DeSelby83 wrote:
    Pure speculation but it looks more and more like Sony rushed this out and HG are now getting the chance to make the game they wanted.

Beating a dead horse but Hello Games were the ones talking about the game pre release not Sony

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why are they still bothering? The sales figures must be tiny at this stage, its a completely poisonous IP now, a metaphor for overhyped lies in the gaming industry. That update does look good though, maybe something to come back to years from now with a VR rig or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Thargor wrote: »
    Why are they still bothering? The sales figures must be tiny at this stage, its a completely poisonous IP now, a metaphor for overhyped lies in the gaming industry. That update does look good though, maybe something to come back to years from now with a VR rig or something.

No Man's Sky is currently second on the global top sellers list on Steam, behind PUBG. Clearly, supporting the game is benefiting Hello Games so hopefully they continue.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,236 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's 60% off on steam at the mo, half tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Mickeroo wrote: »

You'll regreeeeeeet it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mickeroo wrote: »

Once it works with your set up it's a good purchase, at this point the updates have solved a lot of the early issues, both in terms of in game mechanics as well as gameplay/narrative.
    It appears to share much, going by the back of the box, with Elite Frontier but it's a very very different game.
    I would say that the current game fulfills most of the potential of those pre-release trailers, the only pities are that so many paid a lot to play a game they didn't recognise and that it took 12 months to get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

It's still very shallow.

The updates have added a lot of bells and whistles but there is still next to no AI or form of persistent world.

Pirates warp in to chase you every so often and the same warp in cargo fleets in every system.

Fired it up for the first time in 8 months to try survival mode. Bit more of a challenge but $hit is it grindy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Fired it up for the first time in 8 months to try survival mode. Bit more of a challenge but $hit is it grindy!

Funnily back when I played it I more or less removed the collection requirements of the game, massively decreased fuels costs etc via mods and found it much much more enjoyable.

Decided to give this another pop. Installed these mods (modding really is a piece of piss even outside the workshop).

Fast Actions (no more holding down E or the mouse key or whatnot, that annoyed me no end)
    Low Flight (can really zip around at low level now, instead of getting auto hovered, particularly with the 4x speed option)
    Reduced Launch Cost (run out of fuel a lot less, you can get rid of the cost if you want)
    Deep Space (some changes to how the game looks, quite nice, particularly in space)
    Shaidak's Generation (more/bigger diverse planet\flora features on some planet types)
    Clean UI (You can figure out the last two)
    Darker Nights

There seems to be a bit more to the game now - far more NPCs - which is decent (even if it's more of the same). Seems to be a bit more going on as well, more ships roaming around etc.

I'll admit I used a memory address changer to modify the amount of cash I had. I found collecting resources just to sell and upgrading ships to be a massive grind and abysmally slow, even if you found a planet with valuable resources. So I've more or less started out with a large ship (traded up with the first few I met), and I only collect resources if I feel like it or for tech upgrades. Also means that I don't have to turn down offers on improved multitools etc due to lack of cash.

So now I'm playing it as more of an exploration game rather than a resource grind, which I felt it was always meant to be. It's quite relaxing and can be quite pretty often enough. I doubt I'll find much meaningful deep gameplay, but still - if you know what you want to get out of the game then that's OK.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I did the same. Cut the fuel costs by 90% or something like that, which allowed me to explore without having to find fuel every time i landed. In normal mode, that might be ok. But in survival on some planets, it was a bloody nightmare.

Kiith wrote: »
    But in survival on some planets, it was a bloody nightmare.

It just wasn't fun at all, like many aspects of the game unmodded on release.

I get it may have been rushed out, but some of the "game" aspects they decided upon were bizarre decisions (though at least they got into the game I suppose, unlike many other 'features' touted beforehand).

I haven't tried the crafting/building side of things at all (bar the first scanner yoke). Is it worth getting into, for those that have tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

It has been announced that No Man's Sky will be coming to Xbox One and there will be a new free expansion called No Man's Sky NEXT coming out this summer for all available platforms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It's also looking like it's getting a VR update.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

This is what I've been waiting for. I got a good 60+ hours out of it, but haven't played it since launch. This will be the reason to get the PSVR, as I think it will be such a relaxing and engaging atmosphere once it's in VR. It's crying out for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

This is what I've been waiting for. I got a good 60+ hours out of it, but haven't played it since launch. This will be the reason to get the PSVR, as I think it will be such a relaxing and engaging atmosphere once it's in VR. It's crying out for it!
    How much will they charge for it though?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Is there a link for this? as I've looked and I cant find any reference to VR (also
    I'm on PC so I'd be more interested in VIVE/Rift than PSVR tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Oooohhh VR?

Now im interested

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Doge

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Is there a link for this? as I've looked and I cant find any reference to VR (also
    I'm on PC so I'd be more interested in VIVE/Rift than PSVR tbh)

Possible hint for it coming out on PSVR:

https://www.psu.com/news/no-mans-sky-psvr-support-gets-teased-hello-games/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

So No Mans Sky is coming to XBOX. Now they can be disappointed too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Not a bad game tbh not what was advertised but still not a bad game, worth a purchase tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wow! lucky them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why are they still even developing this mess? Surely it would make more sense to move on...

Still getting sales, still has the same trailers and advertising around. To be fair to them, after what was a disgraceful launch, they've been trying to get the game back to closer to the originally touted game. It's not there yet at all, but it has improved a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I'm on xbox, I might get it if the price is right.
    I didn't follow the ads for it or get drawn in by the hype so I don't feel the dissapointment or betrayal others feel with it.

Looks like a nice relaxing game to play. Wait and see I suppose.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Why are they still even developing this mess? Surely it would make more sense to move on...

Funny,could say the same for the people who didnt like the game...

Be interested to see what Next brings. Have a rift so if it gets VR support id try it.

Advertisement