Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Sean Murray always comes across as a true gent, and I genuinely believe he doesn't have the character to purposely be deceitful when it comes to interviews. I'm glad to see that they've stuck with it and are having success from not playing it safe and dreaming big.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

... and I genuinely believe he doesn't have the character to purposely be deceitful when it comes to interviews..

Say what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Say what now?

I've often thought his team lied to him about what was possible, but that's a story for another day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Jesus.

Looking at that interview a few posts back and the complete avoidance / non-acceptance of what went on prior to and at launch, he really does appear to think he's done nothing wrong. I suppose all that money and posts like the above on Twitter will reinforce that.

And this is from someone who moderately enjoyed the game (eventually, and with serious modding).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I haven't been able to read that article yet, but I still believe that he was pressured into some things by Sony. He was probably told to avoid saying what isn't in the game while being vague about what is. I still think he genuinely wanted to make this game the way it currently is and soon will be, but stakeholders got involved and messed it all up. I might change my view after reading that article though.

... but I still believe that he was pressured into some things by Sony. He was probably told to avoid saying what isn't in the game while being vague about what is. .

There's being vague and there's being intentionally misleading / lying though. There was definitely some of all three in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Jesus.

Looking at that interview a few posts back and the complete avoidance / non-acceptance of what went on prior to and at launch, he really does appear to think he's done nothing wrong. I suppose all that money and posts like the above on Twitter will reinforce that.

And this is from someone who moderately enjoyed the game (eventually, and with serious modding).

Or???

Maybe???

Maybe???

people dont give a ****?

^^ thats my opinion on it all. Good game worth a play.

Compelling argument. The question marks really add to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

People sure gave a sh*t at the time :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I was surprised how low Sean went pre-launch.

When some gamers got their copies early the day before launch he rushed onto Twitter to tell gamers to not spoil the game for themselves by listening to these people. Clearly knowing that if the word got out that the game was severely lacking the sales overall would take a hit.

A €60 game that was barely worth €15 at launch.

I think he made a lot of mistakes and never fully acknowledged them.

Fast forward to today I am impressed that they have stuck with the game and with each update it is becoming more like what was initially promised.

Interviews with Sean are starting to change my perception of him. He's clearly learned from his mistakes and is focused on growing NMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Venom wrote: »
    People sure gave a sh*t at the time :pac:

Some people still give a **** ^^ about a video game.......

dreamers75 wrote: »
    people dont give a ****?
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Some people still give a **** ^^ about a video game.......

Which is it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

He lied. He lied and lied and lied and no amount of "well maybe he was under pressure to do so" or "maybe he didn't quite get it" will ever change the fact that he told massive lies and mis-sold his product and in doing so, mislead thousands of people into buying a product that was not as described.

In any other industry, this is a criminal offence, but somehow the software industry seems to be under the impression that it's exempt (and because the sorts of suits who make laws will never understand how to even turn a computer on, never mind how software generally works, they will remain so). The immaturity of the average consumer allows this to continue and that's not something that'll change any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

After having a bit of a read about the update im going to start the game over.

Seems they have put a decent amount of time into making the early game more enjoyable.

I like the idea of wing missions also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Yeah I think I will reinstall this with the new patch. It looks great and maybe I'll get my moneys worth finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Yeah I think I will reinstall this with the new patch. It looks great and maybe I'll get my moneys worth finally.

We can only hope pacman.gif

I recall one of the lads from the Pretty Good Gaming podcast on Youtube saying there was going to be a base wipe of sorts coming with this update to deal with the game going multiplayer. I wonder if this will be part of some new game + style gig?

We can only hope pacman.gif

I recall one of the lads from the Pretty Good Gaming podcast on Youtube saying there was going to be a base wipe of sorts coming with this update to deal with the game going multiplayer. I wonder if this will be part of some new game + style gig?

I did read that it will be savegame compatible, if that matters. I didn't do much base building during that period, so it doesn't bother me much, but I can see people not liking that. That being said, they might just be able to add their base as a steam mod, perhaps.

Is it just a base wipe. Somehow I got the impression it was a universe reset. If they have updated the procedural generation, that makes sense.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I had a Survival playthrough recently and enjoyed it. They've added a lot of stuff since launch, and you can't really fault them for their continued support. Modded the take off cost by 50% though, as the cost is way to high imo.

Looking forward to seeing what the new update is like. Might try a creative game, just to go mad with the base building. Definitely going to build an underwater base. Hope they have some more diverse planets (i.e. water worlds, desert planets etc...).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Another apology from Sean Murray with promises of free weekly content and community events...
    We always wanted No Man’s Sky to grow and develop after it released. I’m happy we’ve been able to do that.

I am so proud of the team at Hello Games, what they did was incredible. Over the years of development the average team size was 6, the final team was just 15 people at launch. No Man’s Sky has grown to be a very broad game, ambitious, technically unique and very pretty at times, all the more impressive for a team that is still small.

Whilst I couldn’t be prouder of the team, I personally made mistakes. I could talk all day about things I personally would change. Certainly one regret is that the intensity and drama of launch left no room for communication with the community.

We decided instead to focus on development rather than words. Following Foundation, Pathfinder and Atlas Rises, we really want to include you, the community, more.

We know that a million gamers played on the day we launched Atlas Rises. That everyone who bought Atlas Rises played for 45 hours on average and 90% rated it positively. We know that 20% of players hit over 100 hours, and 5% hit over 1000. We know that over 200 million hours of No Man’s Sky have been played to date. It makes us happy, but desperate to communicate better.

A little while after the release of No Man’s Sky NEXT, Hello Games has planned its first season of weekly content and community events. This will be free for all players, with no microtransactions.

We are also launching a new website dedicated to the community, which we’re calling the Galactic Atlas. The site features points of interest in the No Man’s Sky Euclid Galaxy, all nominated by you through the survey we created earlier this month. This will grow in functionality and expand over time, in part through your feedback.

The surveys for Atlas Rises will stay open until the launch of NEXT, so there is still an opportunity to contribute to the archive!

One day I hope to reach a point where I feel No Man’s Sky is “finished”, but luckily there’s still so much more we want to do. Working on NEXT feels important to us, but I know it’s not the end of the journey. We know the journey would be more fun together.

Thank you for playing No Man’s Sky, thank you for playing Waking Titan, and we hope you enjoy everything still to come.

Sean

https://www.nomanssky.com/2018/07/a-message-to-the-community/

He might be transforming from Monorail salesman to Old Gil. I remember being very disappointed with the shítstorm after release because I was very excited for a proper space exploration game but I might buy it now after all these updates which have been well received and when NEXT drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

J. Marston wrote: »
    Another apology from Sean Murray with promises of free weekly content and community events...

He might be transforming from Monorail salesman to Old Gil. I remember being very disappointed with the shítstorm after release because I was very excited for a proper space exploration game but I might buy it now after all these updates which have been well received and when NEXT drops.
    Wait for the sales at least!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-20-the-big-sean-murray-interview
    You guys were writing stories about there being massive refund rates, and that's not true - our numbers were slightly above average on PC, but that's par for the course when you have a game that sells a lot of copies and people play it on min spec machines, below min spec machines.

No Sean, I applied for a refund because your game ran like absolute garbage on a brand new just released 1070 GTX card, frame rates in single figures. Please stop lying.

I don't see much of an apology in the above article either.

That all being said, I fired it up last night, for the first time in ages, and will see what it's like once the update hits later today.

I don't really care about an apology to be honest. You'd swear he was the first game developer who lied about his game. I got a decent amount of enjoyment out of the game at launch, and on two other occasions since then. They have supported the game for far longer than most companies do, and regardless of whether it's an attempt to salvage their credibility or not, it's made a game that i enjoyed much better.

So yeah, looking forward to trying it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It sounds like he pulled a Molyneaux more than anything. Getting too excited about his own project too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

When is the update out? Have it downloaded and ready to start over.

Supposed to be today, but doesn't seem to have dropped yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

When is the update out? Have it downloaded and ready to start over.
    Kiith wrote: »
    Supposed to be today, but doesn't seem to have dropped yet.

Seen mention on Twitter that it's 6AM PST, so I think that's around 2PM here.

https://twitter.com/PickledPudding/status/1021531881341214720

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Eurogamer says its not out until 5pm... is that right?

Advertisement