Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Hey, throw this into the gaming humour thread will you :)

Hey, throw this into the gaming humour thread will you :)

Done :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Funny thing about the 10% thing..

Remember e3 he chose a 'random' planet to visit out of the ****ton we saw as he zoomed out.

That had life on it. What a coincidence... :rolleyes:

He said when he was presenting that section that it was programmed to go to a planet with life. He very clearly stated that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Is the field of view really narrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Zillah wrote: »
    Thought that myself.
    And yer man seems terrible at playing games... At least give the controller to someone who might do something interesting. Felt like I was watching my dad play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Probably to simulate the face you are in a spacesuit all the time, just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

d31b0y wrote: »
    Thought that myself.
    And yer man seems terrible at playing games... At least give the controller to someone who might do something interesting. Felt like I was watching my dad play.

yea he was dire.. wtf was he doing when landing :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I wonder if you would be able to undermine structures like that trading post by blasting away the ground beneath it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I hope so,

Also I like the idea of giant space battles and ships crashing out of the sky into the planet below.

Im excited for this game, just hope it wont be another X-Rebirth or Spore.

Im excited for this game, just hope it wont be another X-Rebirth or Spore.

My only fear at this point is that there won't really be much to do. I think what we'll get will be very polished and stylish, but you'll look around and realise that the only activities available are a handful of hollow shams.

Like, trading: I never understood why that was supposed to be fun in a game. Sounds like doing laundry in space.

The combat looks very fluid, but I hope it has purpose beyond just poking things with lasers to see what happens.

Exploration: how often can you scan a space-fish and go oooOOOooh before that gets dull?

I sincerely doubt it will be anything like the half-baked, unplayable mess that X-Rebirth was, but I'm afraid there won't be much to it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Exactly. They say one of the ways to play the game is as a trader. So if someone decides to play it like that they'll be repeatedly going to planets, shooting the red things then in a menu they'll get a higher number.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That was very interesting. But the LOD/pop-in was extremely jarring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My only fear at this point is that there won't really be much to do. I think what we'll get will be very polished and stylish, but you'll look around and realise that the only activities available are a handful of hollow shams.

Like, trading: I never understood why that was supposed to be fun in a game. Sounds like doing laundry in space.

The combat looks very fluid, but I hope it has purpose beyond just poking things with lasers to see what happens.

Exploration: how often can you scan a space-fish and go oooOOOooh before that gets dull?

I sincerely doubt it will be anything like the half-baked, unplayable mess that X-Rebirth was, but I'm afraid there won't be much to it at all.

Perhaps you've never played Animal Crossing?
    A highly successful franchise that is essentially based around collecting, trading and customising.
    Not that the two games are going to be comparable, Animal Crossing doesn't have epic space battles and No Man's Sky doesn't have that fecker Tom Nook.

Kirby wrote: »
    That was very interesting. But the LOD/pop-in was extremely jarring.

I'm hoping that's just a side-effect of God-mode. I never noticed issues like that in a spaceship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yeah i thought the same thing too,either that or the jetpack is way too OPtongue.png

Pop-in is not something ive noticed in the trailers so far either,it reminds me of minecraft in creative mode. With creative you can fly faster than the world can render,in survival mode its not something that you would see very often as without god mode you cant usually move that fast.

My only wish for this game is for them to release the thing(or at least a date),at this stage it is what its going to be. Cant see any major feature changes at this point so i assume its just optimizations and trying to get a release date sorted.

I'm curious about the permanence of the planets in the game. He mentioned that the planets would remain the same from visit to visit and between different people. That sounds like it would be very demanded of resources to remember the topography etc for these thousands of worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I got the impression that each planet is generated by a static algorithm, i.e. each planet is given a unique number. Unique number is fed into algorithm to generate the planet as it is required (when someone visits the solar system that it's in). When there is no-one in the solar system anymore, the planet is converted back to a unique number.
    Each persons local game would only have to generate one solar system at a time.

• Advertisement

I got the impression that each planet is generated by a static algorithm, i.e. each planet is given a unique number. Unique number is fed into algorithm to generate the planet as it is required (when someone visits the solar system that it's in). When there is no-one in the solar system anymore, the planet is converted back to a unique number.

But the thing is if that person is the first in that solar system and goes and names all the planets in it. That will have to be saved as they were for others to find later on. The more and more that happens the more data will need to be stored server side.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This.

And it would go even further. Only terrain within a certain distance of you will be generated, and there will be various levels of detail, so more distant terrain will be 'rougher' and use less memory.

Procedural generation like this is pretty well explored, they've just gone a bit further in terms of the number of scales they're doing it on.

A database of a billion names is not going to cause much trouble.

A database of a billion names is not going to cause much trouble.

But what about the billion randomly generated planets that will have to be linked to those names. They can't be generated again elsewhere as they have been "used" by the system and saved so they appear the same to everyone who finds it.

But what about the billion randomly generated planets that will have to be linked to those names. They can't be generated again elsewhere as they have been "used" by the system and saved so they appear the same to everyone who finds it.

How do you mean 'used'?

You just procedurally generate the planet again when another player arrives, so it is just as it was the first time. Then do a database lookup for whatever name is associated with it.

So, this is my understanding:
    Everyone's universe is procedurally generated by the same seed key. So while each planet is made in an automated process - so that even the developers have no idea what it will be like - that process will be the same for everyone, because we're all working from the same seed, and it will be the same each time you visit it, even though the data was dumped when you flew away from it.

But here is the problem that I think Captain Chaos is getting at:
    When I visit a solar system it randomly generates, say, three planets. Before it generated them it did not know how many planets there would be. So I name them Tits, Ass, and Fanny. Now the fact that three planets exist in that system needs to be stored permanently, because how can the system record the names if it doesn't store the planets? Apply that principle to every creature you discover, too. If the flying raptor bird thing gets named "Zillahs Greaticus", it has to store that creature permanently, otherwise how does it know what to assign the name to? It can't just dump the randomly generated data of the bird, otherwise it doesn't know where to assign the name.

My best guess at an explanation is that each unique item, be it a planet or an animal, is nothing more than BASE ANIMAL 67884 with the following morphing traits applied, which likely is little more than a couple kb's of data. It is just making tiny modifications to base data already in the game. So millions of such entries still only takes up a few GB.

I imagine things you change on the planets, like deformations from your weapon blasts or animals killed etc, are dumped. So you'll never find a place where another player did some mining.

So, this is my understanding:
    Everyone's universe is procedurally generated by the same seed key. So while each planet is made in an automated process - so that even the developers have no idea what it will be like - that process will be the same for everyone, because we're all working from the same seed, and it will be the same each time you visit it, even though the data was dumped when you flew away from it.

But here is the problem that I think Captain Chaos is getting at:
    When I visit a solar system it randomly generates, say, three planets. Before it generated them it did not know how many planets there would be. So I name them Tits, Ass, and Fanny. Now the fact that three planets exist in that system needs to be stored permanently, because how can the system record the names if it doesn't store the planets? Apply that principle to every creature you discover, too. If the flying raptor bird thing gets named "Zillahs Greaticus", it has to store that creature permanently, otherwise how does it know what to assign the name to? It can't just dump the randomly generated data of the bird, otherwise it doesn't know where to assign the name.

My best guess at an explanation is that each unique item, be it a planet or an animal, is nothing more than BASE ANIMAL 67884 with the following morphing traits applied, which likely is little more than a couple kb's of data. It is just making tiny modifications to base data already in the game. So millions of such entries still only takes up a few GB.

I imagine things you change on the planets, like deformations from your weapon blasts or animals killed etc, are dumped. So you'll never find a place where another player did some mining.

I see what you're saying, but it's easily solved. As part of the procedural algorithm each planet / creature / plant / whatever would generate a unique GUID of some sort. As a simple example say it was noiseFunction(X, Y, Z, thingType, seed).

Any time you generate it again, you will also generate the same GUID. You store any associated name or persistence data in the database against that GUID to be retrieved the next time you generate it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It already works in Elite minus the wild life, don't see why it would be an issue in this.

It's not an issue in the slightest, but I can see why it might look mind boggling if you have little knowledge oF how these things are put together ;)

That would be me so :P It would be pretty cool if the game was able to store player interactions with the environment for other players to experience, a la Minecraft.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I thought the names of the planets and animals were generated aswell?

Advertisement