Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, all artifacts are good for is credits!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Started going into random games, transferring 5 stasis devices and leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I got my first new multitool. It's better than my old one in every way, only cost 97,000.
    About ten minutes before I found it I blew up a pirate carrying 100,000 worth of gear so my luck is changing considering I started on a planet with 60% toxicity levels and very regular storms.

Only survived my introduction because I fell down a hole while trying to find cover and ended up in a cave network.

Finding the space combat challenging coming from Elite Dangerous.
    Overall I'm enjoying myself, it's all quite relaxing until it hits the fan.

Finding the space combat challenging coming from Elite Dangerous.

Ahh here, leave it out.......ED is a spaceship flying combat game that excels at spaceship flying combat NMS is a game unsure of itself and excels at nothing.

Its challenging because NMS controls are awful.

https://nomansskymods.com/mods/another-flight-model/

I use this, it helps.

Thanks but I'm on Xbox so no mods for me and I'm aware that the simplified flying is what is throwing me off.
    I keep losing shields but the hull is strong enough to see me through 1v1s, so far at least.

I'm also in the ship you start the game in which probably doesn't help. (I named it Sidewinder)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Just like Elite,fly backwards:D

Just be careful to not hit the freighter your defending if your doing a distress call

EoinHef wrote: »
    Just be careful to not hit the freighter your defending if your doing a distress call

This! Even a single stray bullet or simple collision with the freighter and they turn against you!

EoinHef wrote: »
    Just like Elite,fly backwards:D

Not all problems can be solved by flying backwards! :pac:

Noted.
    This! Even a single stray bullet or simple collision with the freighter and they turn against you!
    Probably best to be a little cowardly until I'm better skilled and equipped then.

Probably best to be a little cowardly until I'm better skilled and equipped then.

That's what I did, waited until I had some upgrades for the Photon Cannon and shields. Becomes easy enough after a while, especially with the upgraded shields. Don't forget to fly towards the ship you just destroyed to pick up a shield refresh! I had a Fighter, but changed to an Explorer for storage (have 2 Fighters back at the Freighter should I need them). Even though the Explorer doesn't have any bonuses for damage, I'm still finding the combat easy now that I'm used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

The one thing that I really miss from my days of playing ED is not being able to yaw in my spacecraft.

• Advertisement

Asmodean wrote: »
    The one thing that I really miss from my days of playing ED is not being able to yaw in my spacecraft.

Granted I've only played ED (PS4) for about 8/10 hours in total, but the yaw was something I just couldn't get used to!

Asmodean wrote: »

Yup,i also keep forgetting its not there and keep free looking to the side trying to use it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Granted I've only played ED (PS4) for about 8/10 hours in total, but the yaw was something I just couldn't get used to!

Yeah it can be a massive pain at the start but you really miss it once you get the hang of it. I Miss the strafe controls too, granted the precision landing isn't needed in NMS by any means, but that extra bit of precision is sorely lacking at times ,especially when trying to attack ground targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I’ve tried tagging them and then as I’m burrowing towards them the tag disappears and I can’t find the thingy am I destroying them with the terrain thingy?

Im sure thats a bug ive had similar problems when tagging buried tech modules on foot and then getting into a ship and the tag you made dissapears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I've had a mission to deliver something out of system. I warp there (can see the symbol on the galaxy map) but I can't find where to deliver it. I've scanned the system & planets and checked out the space hub. No joy.

wyrn wrote: »
    I've had a mission to deliver something out of system. I warp there (can see the symbol on the galaxy map) but I can't find where to deliver it. I've scanned the system & planets and checked out the space hub. No joy.

Yeah get used to that.

Missions can be a bit buggy.

The missions have been ok for me,cant remember any that failed on me.

There was one that just kept renewing itself everytime i completed it for the explorers guild but it paid 340 nanites a go so just kept completing it every now and then when i needed some. It disappeared after one of the patches.

Joining random games is strange, ended out joining the same game 3 times.

One dude didnt know there was Multiplayer and I scared the **** out of him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

Dumb question - what's the difference between red icon buildings on planets and blue icon buildings? Separately (but perhaps related) is there a way to distinguish artifacts, monoliths, buildings which you've already visited/activated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

GSRNBP wrote: »
    Dumb question - what's the difference between red icon buildings on planets and blue icon buildings? Separately (but perhaps related) is there a way to distinguish artifacts, monoliths, buildings which you've already visited/activated?

Red is a trading post
    Blue is a manufacturing plant or depot
    Purple is monoliths etc

They usually disappear once visited unless a random Alien gives you directions to the same one again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have spent longer than I care to admit trying to find a Big A-Class Freighter to buy thanks to dreamer75's generosity with 180 million credits worth of gifts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Shiminay wrote: »
    I have spent longer than I care to admit trying to find a Big A-Class Freighter to buy thanks to dreamer75's generosity with 180 million credits worth of gifts :D

Youtube has vids with portal locations

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

They usually disappear once visited unless a random Alien gives you directions to the same one again.

Thanks - that part doesn't seem to be working for me. I keep visiting obelisks and artefacts that I've already visited :o

As an aside, are boardsies playing together in a specific area?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Why oh why is there no confirmation prompt when you're upgrading your ship/freighter to remind you you're about to lost all your stuff? Come to that, why doesn't it just automatically transfer your inventory to the new vessel if there's space?
    It's a relatively rare action, so it's not like an extra confirmation dialogue is going to be a pain from a UX point of view (compared to a 5 second delay every time I turn in a mission).

Yes, I know there's a warning message, but I was dithering about shelling out 70 million for a 10 slot freighter upgrade, then thought "Maybe I should summon my current one and deconstruct all the fleet rooms first" and accidentally left-clicked instead of right. So I just want to rant!
    Actually, even deconstructing salvagable rooms/equipment seems like something that should happen automatically as well as inventory transfer.

Short of buying a ship with damaged slots (does anyone ever actually do that?) I can't think of a circumstance where you wouldn't want to transfer all your stuff.

For good measure my "find somebody" mission then failed because an alien wanted a bribe of something I had three of but the option to pay was greyed out.
    Then I was somewhat mollified by finding a Temporary Planet where the "flora" was all just floating bubbles, and my first Boundary Violation.

It remains a weirdly frustrating game that varies between frustrating bugs, irritating design choices, and sublime moments in the space of minutes. Still, I'm about 50 hours in, so it must be doing something right!

If you buy a ship you keep the old one?

In the call ship option you should be able to call up any of your ships. I have a few atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

dreamers75 wrote: »

In the call ship option you should be able to call up any of your ships. I have a few atm.

Are you serious? :eek:
    I must've spent hours repairing a ship that I accidentally bought!
    I could have just called the old ship??? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

dreamers75 wrote: »

Sorry, I can see that you wouldn't want to transfer your inventory when you buy a ship outright. I meant using the upgrade option.

I've been wondering - can I just buy a load of haulers and use them as extra inventory space? And then just summon them anywhere? So I could e.g. store all my plants in one, refined materials in another, trade goods in a third and then just summon them to wherever I am with their inventory intact? Seems a bit overpowered if so.
    marcbrophy wrote: »
    Are you serious? :eek:
    I must've spent hours repairing a ship that I accidentally bought!
    I could have just called the old ship??? :(

There's two options, buy and upgrade (which trades in the old ship so you get the new one cheaper).

If you buy you can still access the old ship, but if you upgrade it's gone immediately, as is your access to its inventory. Freighters only have an upgrade option since you can only own one.

I would have thought though that if you found a crashed ship and "bought" it you should still be able to access the old one. Although I've never tried, I'm mostly a one-ship man.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You can only have one Capital ship and up to 6 regular ships. You can call any of the 6 at any time (in theory) as long as their engines are working and you can also call your Capital ship. You can't simply sell a ship because they don't seem to be bothered inserting code to check if you'll be stranded with zero ships. If you "buy" a crashed ship and you're at your max of 6 already, then it replaces your current ship. Gods forbid they'd let you choose which one you want to trade in :rolleyes:

Neither can you completely delete a base which is driving me mad cause something glitched and my base is no longer being recognised as the location of the computer to do Archive retrieval missions.

Would it kill them to hire a UX person and apply the electrodes to Murray and his ilk to fix some of this basic stuff?

You can do computer archive missions at any base computer, doesnt have to be your own.

I completed all the engineer dudes missions but still need blueprints, i join a random game when the defrag is complete and use their computer.

• Advertisement

Shiminay wrote: »
    You can only have one Capital ship and up to 6 regular ships. You can call any of the 6 at any time (in theory) as long as their engines are working and you can also call your Capital ship. You can't simply sell a ship because they don't seem to be bothered inserting code to check if you'll be stranded with zero ships. If you "buy" a crashed ship and you're at your max of 6 already, then it replaces your current ship. Gods forbid they'd let you choose which one you want to trade in :rolleyes:

Neither can you completely delete a base which is driving me mad cause something glitched and my base is no longer being recognised as the location of the computer to do Archive retrieval missions.

Would it kill them to hire a UX person and apply the electrodes to Murray and his ilk to fix some of this basic stuff?

I had that or similar, marker was pointing at the capital ship. while at the base call it in then save quit out and load back in and the marker should be back at the computer.

Advertisement