Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

noisy neighbours

Options
  • 10-06-2014 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

its 8.10am,
    i'm getting ready for the screaming chorus that normally starts this time of morning coming from my neighbours house.
    they have a 5 yr old child who i'm guessing doesn't like school. so every morning a screaming match insues.
    it started a few months ago when i was enjoying a day off work and all i heard was the father of the child SHOUTING and ROARING at his child, through the walls i was frozen to the bed with the roar that came out of him. it scared me!
    i since can't look at my neighbour.
    fast forward 12 hours through the day and we have bedtime = more screaming from father and child.
    oh and door banging.... and lots of 'let me out'. leading me to believe that child is locked in bedroom .
    i never thought the walls were that thin in our house. but it would seem so. or else they shout really loudly.
    does anyone else have to deal with this kind of noise? obviously there is a case of very bad parenting going on here with a bold child.
    there are times when i really want to phone someone like ispcc or social workers or something....
    but don't want to be a nosy neighbour...
    what to do....??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sometimes it's good parenting to let the child have a tantrum rather than give in to them and encourage further bad behaviour

Shouting at the children is not such a good idea, Obviously it is best to deal with the kids calmly and patiently, but sometimes a parent needs to raise his/her voice in order to assert authority.

It all depends on the content, tone and the frequency of the engagements.

Children, especially when there are more than one of them can do things that are dangerous to themselves or their siblings and quietly reasoning with them is not enough to get the message across that their actions are dangerous and unacceptable.

However, if the parent is involved in a shouting match with a child, then something is wrong somewhere. I've had to raise my voice to my kids on occasion, but I've never ever had a shouting match with them. I raise my voice to let them know that I am serious, and afterwards I explain to them exactly why what they were doing was not acceptable in a normal but stern tone of voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 neadybop

its defo a shouting match. its like the dad is on a power trip.
    its horrible to have to listen too.
    saying that, i'm sure the little girl provokes him but for it to be happening on a daily basis, in the morning before school and then when she gets home through out the evening.
    somethings just not right..... time to soundproof

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Reporting abuse is not being a nosy neighbour.

You have a grown man shouting practically all day at his little child, and locking her up. Please call someone. He is an abusive bully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭diveout

I'd leave a note and ask them to keep it down. And I might leave some cupcakes along with the note.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'd call someone and explain what you're hearing.

How many times do the gardai/child welfare witter on after the fact when somthing awful happens in this country.

It's not right, no matter how annoying the child, for an adult to spend time shouting at a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

five yr olds are hard work, mine is, but shouting is never a good idea.
    If you are not sure about calling the ISPCA could you find the number for your local PHN and ask them to check in? they are usually good at saying it is follow-up from appointments or it is for a survey or something. children are discharged at 3 from the PHN, but I have spoken to our local one twice about children i thought needed a look at.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

diveout wrote: »
    I'd leave a note and ask them to keep it down. And I might leave some cupcakes along with the note.

Might find the cupcakes squashed back through the letterbox, then later on if a welfare complaint was necessary they'd reasonably be able to guess it was the OP who complained. I second the PHN idea.

Advertisement