Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much time to allow re: connecting flights?

Options
  • 10-06-2014 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm travelling to the US in the next month or so and booking flights atm. I'm looking at flights on skyscanner, kayak, etc. and just wondering how much time I should allow myself to catch a connecting flight.

For example my plan is to fly Shannon to San Fran and my search returns SNN>SOF via PHL. The Shannon flight arrives at PHL at 1400 and the SOF departs PHL at 1600.

Is a two hour stop over a little on the shy side? I wonder if such a fine time window is considered adequate where international arrival gates and domestic departure gates could potential be at opposite ends of the airports.

Is it OK to assume that these cheap flight websites consider such time constraints when offering flight packages?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hi all,

I'm travelling to the US in the next month or so and booking flights atm. I'm looking at flights on skyscanner, kayak, etc. and just wondering how much time I should allow myself to catch a connecting flight.

For example my plan is to fly Shannon to San Fran and my search returns SNN>SOF via PHL. The Shannon flight arrives at PHL at 1400 and the SOF departs PHL at 1600.

Is a two hour stop over a little on the shy side? I wonder if such a fine time window is considered adequate where international arrival gates and domestic departure gates could potential be at opposite ends of the airports.

Is it OK to assume that these cheap flight websites consider such time constraints when offering flight packages?

You'll be fine, you'll clear immigration and customs in Shannon and will land as a domestic flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

plenty of time as US flights pre-clear in dub/Snn however, I would recommend buying direct from the airline rather than a 3rd party consolidator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

that is a fine connection, PHL is an easy enough airport to get around and you're luggage will go straight through to SFO. 2 hours is more than enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Where will you be going paddling as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Chavways wrote: »
    Where will you be going paddling as a matter of interest?

Kayak is a travel site :D

However, if he was going to be going paddling in the bay area the best spots (that I enjoy anyway)

Half Moon Bay - you get to go out to Mavericks from there where Dolphins hang around and tend to like having their noses/snouts patted

Russian River - fantastic spot around a lagoon/river

Jack London Square - nice enough spot, though pretty busy with cargo ships

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Kayak is a travel site :D

However, if he was going to be going paddling in the bay area the best spots (that I enjoy anyway)

Half Moon Bay - you get to go out to Mavericks from there where Dolphins hang around and tend to like having their noses/snouts patted

Russian River - fantastic spot around a lagoon/river

Jack London Square - nice enough spot, though pretty busy with cargo ships

I feel like an idiot...

Advertisement