Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tefluk.com - Groupon

Options
  • 10-06-2014 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm thinking of purchasing a tefl course that is currently advertised on Groupon, but I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about the company: tefluk.com? I can't seem to find any reviews about them.

TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Hiya,

Is it an online/weekend TEFL course (I've had a look at their website and those are the ones that seem to be on offer)? What are your plans with TEFL teaching? Where would you like to go/teach?

Depending on where you want to teach, they may not accept these kind of courses. Then again, if you are going somewhere where you don't need a TEFL cert (or a particular TEFL cert) and you have got a cheap deal, then it would do you no harm to do it and get some practical knowledge of what TEFL involves. Also, if doing TEFL is a short-term thing for you, then perhaps this kind of course will suit you just fine.

If you plan on doing TEFL teaching longer than a few years and would like lots of flexibility on where you could go with it, then this kind of cert mightn't be the best choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭KATM

Hi Choccie Lover,

Thanks a million for your response.

It's an online course, and I intend going to Spain, but think it might be just a stop-gap thing between college and work. I suppose I could always go back and do the official one if I got on well and decided to stick with it.

Would you know which company runs the official ones / courses that are more widely recognised?

Thanks a million!

Hiya,

If you do a google search on 'CELTA courses Ireland', you will get a list of places which offer this course. It's a fabulous course, but you would also have to attend in person and basically dedicate a month of your life to it (unless you do a part-time option. I've also heard that with some establishments, there may be an online option for parts of the course. This wouldn't be the norm though and you would have to attend the college for your teaching practice). The course is also expensive.

With Spain, a lot of schools would require an a CELTA (or its equivalent). However, there would be schools that may accept an alternative one. You would have to do your research on that one. Have a look at www.tefl.com and click into Spanish job ads to see what they require in the qualifications section.

No matter which country you apply to, you will come across ads that say 'Online or weekend courses not accepted' and this is understandable. If there is no practical teaching element to the course you choose, why would an employer choose such an applicant over someone who has been critically assessed on their teaching. I've mentioned on another thread that European employers/students have high standards and expect a lot of knowledge from their teachers.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if your circumstances allowed it, you could always move to Spain for a month before you planned on teaching, and do your CELTA there. I would imagine you could get it a lot cheaper and then hit the ground running with your job hunt (your trainers could point you in the right direction of where to apply).

Anyway, it's totally up to you. You could take a punt on the online course and with a bit of research perhaps land a job. If you have some contacts over there, better again! Or you could make an investment in a CELTA if your finances and timing allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭KATM

Hi Choccie Lover,

Thanks again - it's good to have the ear of someone who knows! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me!

Talk again!
    K

No probs at all :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement